PDA

View Full Version : Glock 42 Reliability

jnc36rcpd
09-16-2021, 06:19 PM
A friend opted for a Glock 42 as a retirement weapon. While there is an eighty-three page discussion on the Glock 42, it ended in 2015. Any current opinions or experience on the reliability and, to a lesser extent, accuracy of these pistols?

Thanks amd be safe.

TheNewbie
09-16-2021, 06:24 PM
I had one, went back to Glock for FTEs, double feeds, not sure what else. Replacement, same thing. Sold the replacement to a coworker at full disclosure and he had some issues too.

Not sure if it was my grip slowing the slide down during recoil or if t was the gun, but it wasn't worth the hassle for me. A 42x would be cool, but I am not confident in the 42 at this point. Others have had better luck with them.

StraitR
09-16-2021, 06:39 PM
A loaner G42 I acquired for my wife to try ran like a top for both of us, through a couple of boxes of S&B ball last year. It’s a much nicer shooting gun than my LCP or the LCP II we borrowed. The G42 owner is a larger man (for hand size/grip context) and has never had an issue with the little Glock (I asked when he dropped it off). He’s a shooter, but not sure about the round count on his 42. Sample size of one gun, two mags.

Current .380acp ammo prices are ridiculous, if that matters to your friend.

Leroy Suggs
09-16-2021, 06:43 PM
I had a 2018 mfg. date 42 for a while. It was good to go,
Accurate and reliable.
Good gun but i decided a 380 wasn't something I wanted to bet my life on and traded for a 43.

jh9
09-16-2021, 06:50 PM
https://i.imgur.com/AGnjygc.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/2yvum5t.jpg

Feedway stoppages on early guns were due to the feedramp geometry. The changes are obvious when compared side by side.

Also changed were the slide stop and trigger assembly housing; each providing some fixes to additional feeding and ejection problems. Slide stop got a -1 part number revision. I don't recall how the updated TAH was identified.

The early 10lb triggers were fixed by an updated connector. 33564 is the part number I think.

Current magazine revision is 03 I think. First magazines were unmarked. Unmarked "Revision 0.5" magazines had some dremel work done in Smyrna because I guess they didn't want to just trash them before releasing the 01 magazines. I still saw them being sold as "new" as late as 2018.

I'm not aware of an updated extractor.

I had my early barrel (similar to the first picture above) corrected by a gunsmith rather than deal with Glock's Mystery Fixes (details not available at the time in ~2015; just "we'll fix it"). With the barrel now looking like the bottom example it will feed everything including Gold Dots and Hornady FTX rounds. Before it was only reliable with ball.

I would think a current production 42 with 03 magazines would be reliable. I'm not aware of any recent changes to the 42. All the above changes are several years old at this point.

Practical accuracy for most people is going to be considerably better than anything from a Glock 43 to a Ruger LCP. The 42 is basically a rimfire pistol in terms of recoil and that shows up when people who aren't dedicated shooters actually start using these guns.

TGS
09-16-2021, 06:51 PM
This year I took a G42 off Sig_Fiend and it has had no problems or stoppages in 400 rounds of S&B and Hydrashok. I have two brand new 6 round mags that it will nosedive on when initially chambering a round using the slide-stop, but not when manually racking and not when shooting so I don't care as I don't plan on carrying 6 round mags as a reload for it. The 8 round mags that SigFiend gave me work great, no issues.

Maybe he can comment about whatever stoppages or issues he encountered in his ownership, if any. I'm happy with it in my short 400 rounds, though.

I will say that I do not have big hands and using it without a Hogue slip-on grip is pretty annoying. Almost feels like my hands are cramping. The Hogue grip makes all the difference so I put it back on.

jh9
09-16-2021, 06:58 PM
I have two brand new 6 round mags that it will nosedive on when initially chambering a round using the slide-stop, but not when manually racking and not when shooting so I don't care as I don't plan on carrying 6 round mags as a reload for it. The 8 round mags that SigFiend gave me work great, no issues.

Which revision number? "New" for Glock 42 mags might not mean much since I don't think Glock has made or sold a bunch of them and older, problematic magazines have lingered in the pipeline.

TGS
09-16-2021, 07:05 PM
Which revision number? "New" for Glock 42 mags might not mean much since I don't think Glock has made or sold a bunch of them and older, problematic magazines have lingered in the pipeline.

Bottom of the mag body reads:

The feed ramp looks like the one in the photos above.

jh9
09-16-2021, 07:06 PM
Bottom of the mag body reads:

The feed ramp looks like the one in the photos above.

Sounds like the most recent magazine revision.

Those are two very different feed ramps. :p

TGS
09-16-2021, 07:13 PM
Sounds like the most recent magazine revision.

Those are two very different feed ramps. :p

I don't know what the difference is, then.

It's got a ramp thingy.

:)

jh9
09-16-2021, 07:17 PM
I don't know what the difference is, then.

It's got a ramp thingy.

:)

:cool:

The top one has what looks like little m4 feed ramps cut in the throat between the ramp and the chamber. The bottom one doesn't. That little divot standing up in the middle of the throat on the older barrel (top pic) caused some issues with feeding. (Especially with hollowpoints on mine.)

TGS
09-16-2021, 07:19 PM
:cool:

The top one has what looks like little m4 feed ramps cut in the throat between the ramp and the chamber. The bottom one doesn't. That little divot standing up in the middle of the throat on the older barrel (top pic) caused some issues with feeding. (Especially with hollowpoints on mine.)

I believe I have the first one, then. The M4 cuts don't look as pronounced as the ones in that photo, but that might be my eyes playing tricks on me.

Lon
09-16-2021, 07:21 PM
I’ve got one that gets used primarily as a back up at work. Have a few hundred rounds through it without issue.

jh9
09-16-2021, 07:25 PM
I believe I have the first one, then. The M4 cuts don't look as pronounced as the ones in that photo, but that might be my eyes playing tricks on me.

That could explain the nose dives. I think they might have changed the angle on the ramp in addition to the difference in the throat.

Mine still worked fine with ball with the old barrel profile but since Glock will probably replace the barrel for free might as well give it a try. Mostly I had issues with flat points and JHPs.

TGS
09-16-2021, 07:28 PM
Thanks, I'll give them a call then.

It didn't really concern me since it's only when initially loading using the slide lock lever. No problems when actually firing. But, if it's something on recall that they'll replace for free then I might as well avail myself of it.

Sig_Fiend
09-16-2021, 07:42 PM
This year I took a G42 off Sig_Fiend and it has had no problems or stoppages in 400 rounds of S&B and Hydrashok. I have two brand new 6 round mags that it will nosedive on when initially chambering a round using the slide-stop, but not when manually racking and not when shooting so I don't care as I don't plan on carrying 6 round mags as a reload for it. The 8 round mags that SigFiend gave me work great, no issues.

Maybe he can comment about whatever stoppages or issues he encountered in his ownership, if any. I'm happy with it in my short 400 rounds, though.

I will say that I do not have big hands and using it without a Hogue slip-on grip is pretty annoying. Almost feels like my hands are cramping. The Hogue grip makes all the difference so I put it back on.

Been awhile, so my memory is rusty. I did have nosedive problems with 1 or 2 mag configurations. I tried Magguts followers for the increased capacity. Definitely had nosedive issues with those and would not recommend them for serious use. Didn't have any issues with the TTI +1 or Vickers extensions.

I remember having the distinct impression that mag spring tension with any aftermarket mag components on these seems like it could easily create a narrow window of proper operation. Like too much mag spring causing increased drag on the feed lips, leading to sluggish chambering and potentially a failure to feed. Or not enough tension and nosedives.

I had some failures to feed that seemed ammo-related, and IIRC I'm about 70% sure it was mostly when using the slide release. I'm thinking it was Hornady TAP since I seem to remember it being a JHP with more of a conical ogive. I normally stick to GD or HST and Lawman for the range, and never had an issue with any of those.

M2CattleCo
09-16-2021, 09:10 PM
I have one with about 500 rounds through it. American Eagle and Fiocci ball.

It’s finicky about grip. I don’t think I think I would really carry it yet, but I’m still shaking it out.

zaitcev
09-16-2021, 10:02 PM
A friend opted for a Glock 42 as a retirement weapon. While there is an eighty-three page discussion on the Glock 42, it ended in 2015. Any current opinions or experience on the reliability and, to a lesser extent, accuracy of these pistols?

I have two G42s, ABCZxxx and ACYYxxx. They are not as reliable as Mark 23, unfortunately. They pass the Grant Cunningham's criteria for CCW with a 500 round string, but they typically will have a malfunction in a 1000-round string. Usually a round digs into something and does not go all the way in.

One other thing: I noticed that they both have a minimum bullet weight, below which they become less reliable. That 500+ to 1000 strings I mentioned above can only be attained with bullets of 90 grains or heavier. As long as the bullet is heavy enough, it does not matter what shape it is: they feed any kind of hollow points or ball, including blunt-nosed WWB.

zaitcev
09-16-2021, 10:09 PM
About the "M4 cuts" in the feedramp, I tried to public-source serial numbers on GlockTalk. The picture is rather murky, the barrels with the cut and without the cut seem to be mixed in middle of the range. I have both and never noticed any difference in reliablliity, although of course it depends on the tolerance stacking. I feel like it might have been an experiment to fix some issue, which might have been abandoned.

Remember how Glock struggled with the premature slide lock-back on G42. At first they thought it was just QC. They swapped parts by warranty and hoped it would go away. Then, they decided that it must be the slide stop lever and revised it. That did exactly nothing. Only then they gave up and re-designed the magazines with the ridge that pushes bullets to the right (the "03" magazine). So in the end, the original slide stops were fine and they could return to the original spec if they wanted. Perhaps with barrels they did return, if old barrels were cheaper to make.

Totem Polar
09-17-2021, 12:25 AM
The first 42s were bullshit (I had one of the first-run, MLK day ship guns), but the last one I had ran like a champ.

Duelist
09-17-2021, 12:34 AM
A borrowed G42 was the first gun I cleaned a 5yd dot torture with - with the first 50 rounds. My wife liked it so well she shot all of the ammo we had with us through it. The G43 got one magazine and she called it painful; the G26 got most of a magazine and called awkward.

I made a deal for a G42 and it’s been her carry gun ever since. I found myself swiping it for tiny gun duties often enough that I got a second one. It’s unique in that it suits her small hands very well, and sits in the creases of my hands so well when I burrito around it that it is very comfortable and easy to shoot fast and well.

They are very reliable with FMJ round nose ball and JHPs, but do not seem to like flat nosed WWB.

Haven’t been shooting much with anything but .22s in the past year or more. A box or two a month at most of centerfire is about it. Kind of glad to have vetted guns and some ammo on hand right now.

jandbj
09-17-2021, 06:30 AM
Since the first 42 I shot at an LE demo, that little pocket rocket shot like a rimfire and ran like a scalded dog. Lost my first one in the divorce. Recently replaced with a newer one and it runs great too.

It’s such a great combination of tiny while still being exceptionally shootable.

lwt16
09-17-2021, 06:46 AM
We have three at home. One early vintage, one mid, one recent build. The mid had a few stove pipe failures with Wolf steel case which seemed anemic in power but after that first box it ran well after that.

The late mode is my son's and he hasn't had any failures. He's ran fmj, Gold Dots, and Hornady HPs through it as well as some cheap steel cased loads.

I carried one on my ankle at work for many years but recently replaced it with a P365 since the Galco Ankle glove for the G42 fits that also. I've only had one failure out of about 700 rounds with the P365 so unless it gets stupid in the future, the G42 will remain in the safe. 9mm is just cheaper to train with and unlike most cops, I train with the back up as much as the primary. I'm down to about 1/2 a case of .380 left in the stash which hurts me on the inside.

jh9
09-17-2021, 06:57 AM
About the "M4 cuts" in the feedramp, I tried to public-source serial numbers on GlockTalk. The picture is rather murky, the barrels with the cut and without the cut seem to be mixed in middle of the range. I have both and never noticed any difference in reliablliity, although of course it depends on the tolerance stacking. I feel like it might have been an experiment to fix some issue, which might have been abandoned.

Remember how Glock struggled with the premature slide lock-back on G42. At first they thought it was just QC. They swapped parts by warranty and hoped it would go away. Then, they decided that it must be the slide stop lever and revised it. That did exactly nothing. Only then they gave up and re-designed the magazines with the ridge that pushes bullets to the right (the "03" magazine). So in the end, the original slide stops were fine and they could return to the original spec if they wanted. Perhaps with barrels they did return, if old barrels were cheaper to make.

Tolerance stacking might be the cause. But changing exactly one variable-- the barrel-- between range sessions drastically impacted reliability for me on an early (AASA prefix; 2014ish) 42. The gunsmith modifications (polished ramp and throating to remove the bump) went from being iffy with flat points and outright unreliable with any JHP to feeding with anything. Of course it still only has a few hundred rounds through it since I don't keep a lot of .380 on hand. Datapoint of one, of course.

Glenn E. Meyer
09-17-2021, 10:07 AM
I bought a first one (stupid, gun nut panic). It was a horror. Jammed on the first shot so hard I couldn't clear it. Karl Rehn had to figure it out for me. Then at the range, it jammed and jammed. It fired out of battery, scaring the crap out of me with flames and smoke coming out of the injection port!!

Went back to the factory and was OK. The mags are not drop free usually and it didn't jam in several bug matches. I'm mildly suspicious of it but haven't decided to do anything about it.

Ed L
09-18-2021, 05:12 AM
The mags are not drop free usually and it didn't jam in several bug matches. I'm mildly suspicious of it but haven't decided to do anything about it.

I get the feeling that it is designed to be a pocketgun that is as small as possible with no consideration of reloads after it is empty.

GearFondler
09-18-2021, 09:12 AM
I get the feeling that it is designed to be a pocketgun that is as small as possible with no consideration of reloads after it is empty.In that case they should have actually made it small.

757_Magnum
09-18-2021, 11:04 AM
I get the feeling that it is designed to be a pocketgun that is as small as possible with no consideration of reloads after it is empty.

In that case they should have actually made it small.

IMHO, I think they were trying to get as close while keeping the gun shootable and allowing decent manipulation, rather than another entry in an already crowded niche. I ran mine in a 200+ rd concealed handgun class, with about 700 flawless rds total. I repeated this class specifically to decide if the little 380 had a place in my toolbox, or if I was just fooling myself and wearing it as a talisman. This was not your typical 2 hrs of lecture and 15 minutes on the range. We ran multiple scenarios from various starting positions, including cover/concealment and no shoot targets to simulate bystanders. The only mod on the 42 was a green Dawson fiber optic front sight, and a Vickers TangoDown mag release. It ran without any hiccups, and speed and accuracy was nearly on par with my doublestack Glocks. Manipulations were fairly easy, though I learned I had to move the heel of my palm out of the way for mag changes, and that the TD mag release wasn't that great since it moved the pressure point further back on an already tiny grip. Reloads were with stock mags drawn from my left front pocket. I was happy with the results. I can't imagine I would have felt the same with any of the true pocket guns I've owned in the past, nor would I be comfortable employing most of them with bystanders nearby.

Glenn E. Meyer
09-18-2021, 12:49 PM
I found a two mag DeSantis pocket holster designed for a cargo pants pocket. Since I wear them a bit, LL Bean usually - it was good. Not fast but convenient.

For a BUG, short range match, I had a Blade-Tech two mag on my belt and the other in my cargo pockets.

Gater
09-18-2021, 08:07 PM
The mags I have have 03 marked mag bodies and 02 marked followers...is there anything more recent than that?

echo5charlie
09-18-2021, 11:11 PM
My 2014 AAxx-prefix G42 is a lemon - it hasn't failed yet in ~1000 rounds. I don't use it much anymore except for the occasional GSSF match but I would have no issue carrying it., even if it may get me kilt in da streets.

No.6
09-19-2021, 08:16 AM
Data point: 2020 purchase blue label 42 with 03 mags, ~500 rounds including a GSSF match, mostly round nose FMJ but also flat WWB, some Hornady CD and HST, 0 malf. The latter ~400 rounds were with Pearce +1 floor plates. Carries in the Bianchi 'Professional' as the option light enough to hang off unbelted shorts.

Doc_Glock
09-19-2021, 06:25 PM
Two G42s, total of 4370 rounds between them, using at least 15 different types of ammo. Four stoppages in that time, all due to bad ammo or primers.

They shoot absolutely great and are my favorite 380 to shoot. I have no reservations recommending them.

johnnywitt
12-04-2021, 04:26 PM

I bought my 42 with the intention of pocket carrying it. When I actually tried to pocket carry the gun, I found out that the gun would hang up coming out of the pocket really bad. The Guns shape in the rear and the little beavertail acts like a small hammer to get hung up coming out of pockets of various sizes and shapes. Very disappointing in that I love the little gun and it's very reliable and shoots extremely well and especially so in comparison to that nasty little Gat: the G43.;)

cornstalker
12-04-2021, 09:35 PM
I bought my 42 with the intention of pocket carrying it. When I actually tried to pocket carry the gun, I found out that the gun would hang up coming out of the pocket really bad. The Guns shape in the rear and the little beavertail acts like a small hammer to get hung up coming out of pockets of various sizes and shapes. Very disappointing in that I love the little gun and it's very reliable and shoots extremely well and especially so in comparison to that nasty little Gat: the G43.;)

Same experience here. I sold mine and went back to a G43 on the ankle for NPE. Probably should have kept it, it was reliable and I actually won a BUG side match with it. I shot all Fiocchi ball ammo and Federal 90 grain Hydra-Shok in mine. (Plus a few Lehigh xtreme defender)

the Schwartz
12-05-2021, 11:31 AM
Same experience here. I sold mine and went back to a G43 on the ankle for NPE. Probably should have kept it, it was reliable and I actually won a BUG side match with it. I shot all Fiocchi ball ammo and Federal 90 grain Hydra-Shok in mine. (Plus a few Lehigh xtreme defender)

I've had the same experience.

Prior to acquiring my 42 for use in NPEs, I'd gotten the impression that the 42 is at it's best when "hotter" ammunition is used, so I have used nothing except Fiocchi ammunition with 100% reliability given it's deserved reputation for being "full-power" loads. My suspicion is that these small semi-autos, having a shorter slide reciprocation, need plenty of impulse to cycle reliably.

Totem Polar
12-05-2021, 12:37 PM
My last G42 would cycle anything I put in it, although Fiocchi extrema, or however they spell that uplevel load with the 90gr Hornady XTP pill in it, seemed to run smoother. That was my favorite load for that gun. But, again, anything from cheap ball to 20 year old remmy 88gr jhp ran fine, despite that remmy having the ogive of the talking pug from “men in black.”

ST911
12-05-2021, 07:18 PM
I've found G42s to be most reliable with high velocity loads and longer more conical profile bullets. The XTP is a particularly good feeder.

Jason M
12-05-2021, 08:25 PM

Draw from the pocket like a S&W 36 or 37 with an intact hammer spur. The thumb on the beavertail makes for a smooth draw just like the snubby revolvers. This is how I do it but YMMV. Also remember that the 42 (or any other auto) will generally be less tolerant of pocket lint etc that a snubby. It will need a more frequent maintenance interval if pocket carried.

iWander
12-30-2021, 10:35 PM
The wife's CCW has continually progressed to smaller guns from a G19 to a Kahr, G43 (which she absolutely hated) to a late 2020 production G42 with 03 mags. 100% reliable with Gold Dots and flat-nosed FMJs. It's the perfect compromise for her daily carry.
I liken it to my 365XL... It's a diminutive gun that handles and has the accuracy of a much larger gun.

Shawn Dodson
01-02-2022, 02:39 PM
I have two G42s that I bought 3 years ago. I got them for summertime pocket carry in cargo shorts. I've put hundreds of rounds through each one without trouble, including lead bullets.

The only problem I have with them is I consistently shoot 9 o'clock left about 3" at 15 yards. I've tried adjusting my grip and trigger finger to correct this error but to no avail.

paherne
08-24-2023, 04:38 PM
My G42 that I purchased blue label in 2021 has been reliable with the issue Gold Dot and Fiocchi FMJ for about 500 rounds. Last week, I took it to the range and burned up my last box of Gold Dots and switched to Sig V-Crown 90 Grain JHPs that I wanted to vet for carry and accuracy. Not one ejected out of the 15 rounds I fired. I scored a couple of boxes of 99 grain HST and will attempt to see if they will work for a carry load.

Totem Polar
08-24-2023, 05:27 PM
If this thread is still relevant, my 2nd and 3rd G42s were both rock solid. I took ECQC with a G42 last summer, for a variety of reasons. My second one went to a buddy here, hopefully it’s still stone reliable too.

Tannhauser
08-24-2023, 07:02 PM
If this thread is still relevant, my 2nd and 3rd G42s were both rock solid. I took ECQC with a G42 last summer, for a variety of reasons. My second one went to a buddy here, hopefully it’s still stone reliable too.

How do you tell which Generation is your G42?

I’m curious about mine, because it’s been tock solid reliability wise for well past 500 rounds.

paherne
08-24-2023, 08:12 PM

The G42 is relevant because it's so fun to shoot. My daughter hates shooting G43, G43X/48, etc. and prefers a G19. But, she giggles when shooting my G42.

Totem Polar
08-24-2023, 10:25 PM

I’m curious about mine, because it’s been tock solid reliability wise for well past 500 rounds.

I don’t believe that there are different gens of the 42, but there were revisions very early on. My first G42 was a complete shit show, but it was also one of the first 500 serial, from the original MLK ship date after the SHOT show 2014 introduction. Those first guns sucked. If your G was made any time after, say, 2015 or 2016, then it has the -01 mags, the different ejector, the new trigger bar… etc. I can’t even remember all the changes, but there were a number of subtle ones that all added up.

Also, if your G42 is any other color, eg. grey, OD, etc, then it’s clearly new enough to be solid. Hope that helps.

Totem Polar
08-24-2023, 10:28 PM
The G42 is relevant because it's so fun to shoot. My daughter hates shooting G43, G43X/48, etc. and prefers a G19. But, she giggles when shooting my G42.

If I was a rich man, I’d just buy .380 ball by the case monthly, and turn money into noise, and minimal recoil impulse into bouncing tennis balls and beer cans. :D

Navin Johnson
08-25-2023, 12:33 AM
[QUOTE=paherne;1505165]The G42 is relevant because it's so fun to shoot. My daughter hates shooting G43, G43X/48, etc. and prefers a G19. But, she giggles when shooting my G42.[/QUOTE

The 43 43x 48 family is snappy and unfun on long sessions. Shield and P365 and PM9 are far nicer to shoot.

Only shot a 42 a few times and it was literally fun to shoot

Just not sure if there is a reliable 380

Noah
08-25-2023, 04:53 AM

The very early and sometimes problematic ones will have a very early serial, no "-0x", I think "-03" on the mags, and a very strange feed ramp profile. I know because i got a police trade in first year production one this year! But it's worked fine so far.

Tannhauser
08-25-2023, 07:36 AM
I don’t believe that there are different gens of the 42, but there were revisions very early on. My first G42 was a complete shit show, but it was also one of the first 500 serial, from the original MLK ship date after the SHOT show 2014 introduction. Those first guns sucked. If your G was made any time after, say, 2015 or 2016, then it has the -01 mags, the different ejector, the new trigger bar… etc. I can’t even remember all the changes, but there were a number of subtle ones that all added up.

Also, if your G42 is any other color, eg. grey, OD, etc, then it’s clearly new enough to be solid. Hope that helps.

Mine was purchased new in 2020, so it’s definitely later construction. It was an impulse buy that I liked enough (and was reliable enough) it has become a carry option.

I never really followed the introduction of the G42, so I was unaware of the growing pains the pistol had on introduction.

I just lubed mine out of the box and it has run like a sewing machine ever since. When I purchased my G42, I simply sssimed the pistol would be as boringly reliable as every other Glock I ever owned or shot. Apparently ignorance is bliss ;)

SWAT Lt.
08-25-2023, 07:39 AM
There have been some rolling changes to the guns, I'm not sure what exactly has been done, and the current mags are marked "03". The guns currently being produced, along with the "03" mags that have the latest follower design, to seem to be reliable. I believe the 42 as well as the 43/43X and maybe even the 48 may be a bit more dependent on a decent grip to function properly than the larger Glocks.

GearFondler
09-22-2023, 10:43 PM
So my wife picked up her G42 today and all I can think is that now I want one for my pocket.
My 642 is objectively a better choice for front pocket carry, especially since the 42 will hang up unless I use a claw grip.
But....
Damn it, the G42 is just such a sweet little blaster to shoot!
The snubbie is still the smarter choice.
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20230923/1ee8075d8e09eff224557d1631659453.jpg

Duelist
09-23-2023, 12:24 AM
So my wife picked up her G42 today and all I can think is that now I want one for my pocket.
My 642 is objectively a better choice for front pocket carry, especially since the 42 will hang up unless I use a claw grip.
But....
Damn it, the G42 is just such a sweet little blaster to shoot!
The snubbie is still the smarter choice.
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20230923/1ee8075d8e09eff224557d1631659453.jpg

I bought my wife one, and then borrowed it so much I ended up making a trade for one for myself.

It does not work too well for a front-pocket pistol, if you care about a smooth, snag-free draw, but it is a sweet shooter and vanishes IWB or in a smartcarry, even under a light snug tshirt.

Dov
09-23-2023, 08:47 AM
I bought my wife one, and then borrowed it so much I ended up making a trade for one for myself.

It does not work too well for a front-pocket pistol, if you care about a smooth, snag-free draw, but it is a sweet shooter and vanishes IWB or in a smartcarry, even under a light snug tshirt.

I don't have G42 to try, but I normally pocket carry pair of G26, if on pocket draw stroke you place your thumb on rear of slide similar effect to what Mas suggested many years ago for hammer spur on J frames & such it helps a lot. Thumb knuckle works like deflector/plow to smooth path.

With my pocket carried G26's in my Duluth Firehose Pants I carry with the 12 round mags, can't smoothly draw with the 12 round mags from other pant pockets I own so use 10 round flush mag for those pants, with any of them I rotate gun forward as I grip it to pop base of 12 round mag clear of pocket and then rotate/curl top of slide clear of front of pocket.

It's different technique from IWB or OWB holsters, not as motion or speed efficient, but IMHO pocket guns are different than belt carried guns and shouldn't be evaluated the same. Though for me personally G26 with 12 round mag is bit easier to shoot than G19. Though G26 with flush 10 round mage is bit harder to shoot than G19, but even with 10 round mag G26 is worlds easier to shoot than J frame.

Remember you can usually go to grip with pocket carry gun far sooner than you can otherwise, with no negative consequences, and getting grip is significant time component of drawstroke IMO. So you can "cheat" on the streets with pocket carry draw, think DB has mentioned really fast draws on timer with J frame/LCR starting with gun gripped.

Duelist
09-24-2023, 02:36 AM
I don't have G42 to try, but I normally pocket carry pair of G26, if on pocket draw stroke you place your thumb on rear of slide similar effect to what Mas suggested many years ago for hammer spur on J frames & such it helps a lot. Thumb knuckle works like deflector/plow to smooth path.

With my pocket carried G26's in my Duluth Firehose Pants I carry with the 12 round mags, can't smoothly draw with the 12 round mags from other pant pockets I own so use 10 round flush mag for those pants, with any of them I rotate gun forward as I grip it to pop base of 12 round mag clear of pocket and then rotate/curl top of slide clear of front of pocket.

It's different technique from IWB or OWB holsters, not as motion or speed efficient, but IMHO pocket guns are different than belt carried guns and shouldn't be evaluated the same. Though for me personally G26 with 12 round mag is bit easier to shoot than G19. Though G26 with flush 10 round mage is bit harder to shoot than G19, but even with 10 round mag G26 is worlds easier to shoot than J frame.

Remember you can usually go to grip with pocket carry gun far sooner than you can otherwise, with no negative consequences, and getting grip is significant time component of drawstroke IMO. So you can "cheat" on the streets with pocket carry draw, think DB has mentioned really fast draws on timer with J frame/LCR starting with gun gripped.

I’ve pocket carried almost daily for 20 years with a 642/442. Never found an adequate way to do that with my G26, though it is my favorite Glock and is regularly carried IWB/OWB/shoulder. G42 is a niche gun and I like it a lot.

Hambo
09-24-2023, 04:34 AM
A buddy was selling his G42, and I couldn't resist it. So far it's been reliable with HST, Critical Defense, flat point, and ball.

GJM
09-24-2023, 12:49 PM

Totem Polar
09-24-2023, 02:08 PM
1000words

Who knew that the “G” in G42 stood for “Ghetto…”

;)

WDR
09-24-2023, 08:24 PM
Who knew that the “G” in G42 stood for “Ghetto…”

;)

FWIW... I think that is a Blue Force Gear pocket holster... not homebrew. If so, I'm curious how GJM likes it... and if he's tried the same holster, but in J-frame flavor.

GJM
09-24-2023, 09:03 PM
FWIW... I think that is a Blue Force Gear pocket holster... not homebrew. If so, I'm curious how GJM likes it... and if he's tried the same holster, but in J-frame flavor.

It works well for the 42, but haven't tried one for a J.

JCN
09-25-2023, 07:56 PM
I’m thinking of putting this on the G42.

Seems like it might be a good fit for the G42… same width as slide and low profile and weight to minimize malfunctions.

Could function as a racking aid as well.

I just have to find my non-SCD back plate….

frozentundra
09-25-2023, 10:09 PM
I've had the same experience.

Prior to acquiring my 42 for use in NPEs, I'd gotten the impression that the 42 is at it's best when "hotter" ammunition is used, so I have used nothing except Fiocchi ammunition with 100% reliability given it's deserved reputation for being "full-power" loads. My suspicion is that these small semi-autos, having a shorter slide reciprocation, need plenty of impulse to cycle reliably.

My last G42 would cycle anything I put in it, although Fiocchi extrema, or however they spell that uplevel load with the 90gr Hornady XTP pill in it, seemed to run smoother. That was my favorite load for that gun. But, again, anything from cheap ball to 20 year old remmy 88gr jhp ran fine, despite that remmy having the ogive of the talking pug from “men in black.”

Two G42s, total of 4370 rounds between them, using at least 15 different types of ammo. Four stoppages in that time, all due to bad ammo or primers.

They shoot absolutely great and are my favorite 380 to shoot. I have no reservations recommending them.

I've found G42s to be most reliable with high velocity loads and longer more conical profile bullets. The XTP is a particularly good feeder.

I've wondered about Underwood Penetrators out of the larger 380 guns like Glock 42, Shield EZ, Sig, for the extra slide velocity and perhaps less propensity to skid off of angled surfaces than a ball round.

Anyone have experience with the Penetrators in these?

My daughter doesn't really enjoy shooting 9's, and lately I've all but traded in pistol training time in favor of much more cardio. I would really prefer a lighter gun now that I'm running much longer/farther/faster and more often than before. Also, my hands feel better now that I'm not shooting as much. I get enough repetitive stress injury using tools for a living. Looking hard at the 42.

KevH
09-25-2023, 10:09 PM

Seems like it might be a good fit for the G42… same width as slide and low profile and weight to minimize malfunctions.

Wouldn't that negate half the utility of the G42?

The pull for the G42 to me is the fact that it is reliable, is super thin with absolutely no bulk, has very little weight, and has really no recoil.

I have no trouble hitting targets out to about 20 yards with irons on mine. I cannot imagine the juice of the micro red dot is worth the squeeze in this instance.

JCN
09-25-2023, 10:25 PM
Wouldn't that negate half the utility of the G42?

The pull for the G42 to me is the fact that it is reliable, is super thin with absolutely no bulk, has very little weight, and has really no recoil.

I have no trouble hitting targets out to about 20 yards with irons on mine. I cannot imagine the juice of the micro red dot is worth the squeeze in this instance.

My thought is that if I use it as a trainer for my 6 year old daughter with small hands, I’d want to train her with a small window dot to start.

I did just buy the Zev 32 ACP G42 towards that goal.

I have an Airsoft G42 to start with first though.

PNWTO
09-25-2023, 10:37 PM
Anyone have experience with the Penetrators in these?

No issues with Penetrators, or the G9 loads, in my 42 and they group with the best of them.

BillSWPA
09-25-2023, 11:15 PM
My thought is that if I use it as a trainer for my 6 year old daughter with small hands, I’d want to train her with a small window dot to start.

I did just buy the Zev 32 ACP G42 towards that goal.

I have an Airsoft G42 to start with first though.

My suggestion for this use would be one of the versions of a Browning Buck Mark with a smaller grip diameter and no finger grooves. I don’t recall off the top of my head which versions have the smaller grip diameter, but most do have the finger grooves, which will not fit her hand. You would likely have a couple of versions to choose from.

One of the reduced size Browning 1911 .22 pistols would also likely work well.

I am working with a 16 year old daughter who started when she was 10, and a 13 year old son with Coffin-Siris Syndrome who just started last fall. Glock triggers may be light and easy for us, but you might be surprised at the difficulty they present to a kid who is still developing physically and mentally.

awp_101
09-26-2023, 06:00 AM

What’s the black rubber band for?

Noah
09-26-2023, 07:10 AM

I can trade you my normal backplate for a 42 SCD if it would help you out :cool:

Hambo
09-26-2023, 07:31 AM
G42 with new sights, grippy stuff, mags, Vedder Pocket Locker, and JMCK 2.5. I stuck a thin foam pad on the back of the 2.5 and it's perfect.

PTSDog
09-26-2023, 08:50 AM
My two new G42, one black BL and one FDE treated. Black one has a Tango Down mag release and Dawson Precision FOs and the new NY1 Slim trigger spring. It’s mainly for pocket carry, but I have a JMCK IWB for it as well as a ankle and shoulder holster. The FDE has Ameriglo FOs, NY1 trigger spring, and will be for laser and dry fire training for a few weeks. It’s been flawless in 200 rounds, making it the first ceracoted Glock I had that was.

Ran 150 rounds of old cheap Armscor, 150 rounds of Speer Lawman FMJs (my edc), and an almost full Royal Crown Peach bag with mixed HPs but mostly FXT and XTPs collection from the last five years. Only malfunction was operator error with my thumb riding the slide stop a few times and not allowing the slide to lock back. But I carried a LCP so long I’m use to it.

Jerry

PNWTO
09-26-2023, 09:42 AM
the new NY1 Slim trigger spring.

I’ve been meaning to get one of those after following Claude Werner’s Patreon class. I tried the NY1 in a G3 a long time ago but couldn’t resolve an issue in my mechanics and want to revisit the thing.

PTSDog
09-26-2023, 10:16 AM
PNWTO
I really like the NY triggers. I’m use to revolvers and appreciate the heavier trigger for pocket carry. Only my G28s don’t have them do to them not functioning properly, trigger won’t reset, with one installed.

BillSWPA
09-26-2023, 10:53 AM
All of my 9mm Glocks have NY1 triggers and 3.5 lb. connectors. This combination provides about 7 lb. of pull weight, a consistent force from beginning to end, and a significantly reduced wall before firing. It is my favorite Glock trigger setup.

My G44 has a 3.5 connector and standard trigger spring, and still has a worse trigger than any of my 2.5 or 3rd generation guns.

GearFondler
09-26-2023, 12:38 PM
PTSDog

Who makes the mag base you have installed in the black G42?

Thanks

PTSDog
09-26-2023, 01:28 PM
GearFondler
Those are GEE Plates. The only bad thing is that they are not stocked and have to be made as they are ordered, like the 365 base plates I have from them. They are a few dollars more per piece than the G43s or G26s.

But I will be honest, the recoil of the G42 (even with BB and +p loads) isn’t enough to warrant them for me. I HAD to have them on the G43 and 365 9mm and G27. But more for ease of draw on the G42, G28, and G26 over the flat bottom bases IME. It does give a secured draw, with a pinky tucked under the base, but I didn’t notice a difference in controlling recoil while shooting them.

They need to be a little longer and spiked for CQB striking! LOL

Dov
09-26-2023, 06:25 PM
I’ve pocket carried almost daily for 20 years with a 642/442. Never found an adequate way to do that with my G26, though it is my favorite Glock and is regularly carried IWB/OWB/shoulder. G42 is a niche gun and I like it a lot.

You need pants + pockets sized for it, the Duluth pants are size or two big for me to comfortably do that, but I have pain triggers that prevent CCW with IWB or tight to body OWB so its compromise I've made.

Several of my other pants that I carry the G26 with flush mag had to have gf modify the pockets to fit the G26 while J frame fit fine with no alteration.

Dov
09-26-2023, 06:26 PM
Seen couple mentions of bigger than Factory flush 6 round mags, are there any Glock 8 or 10 rounders for the G42?

Or are they factory 6 rounders with aftermarket floorplate extensions?

Duelist
09-26-2023, 07:17 PM
Seen couple mentions of bigger than Factory flush 6 round mags, are there any Glock 8 or 10 rounders for the G42?

The ones I have, I’m pretty sure are aftermarket floor plate extensions.

Hambo
09-27-2023, 05:11 AM

Mine have Vickers +2 extensions. MagGuts sells a +1 spring and follower that doesn't require a floor plate change. I have no idea if they're reliable or not.

GJM
09-27-2023, 08:15 AM
Is anyone milling the 42 for an optic, and if so, do the pistols run reliably?

JCN
09-27-2023, 08:48 AM

Extensions, ETS mags and ProMags hahaha.

I do have Magguts in the Glock mag extensions and they’ve been good in my limited use.

I did find my back plate so will be testing the DPP Micro today to see if the slide will run with the added weight.

JCN
09-27-2023, 09:23 AM

I’ve tested this sight before on a 45ACP Shield and I think they work like “augmented irons” which I like.

https://youtu.be/6AK-fOYJ15c?si=MPZb4SbyIDLFEuPN

Low profile and don’t overhang.

If it barfs then no point in pursuing an optics cut.

It’s pretty narrow footprint and matches slide nicely.

JCN
09-27-2023, 04:42 PM
https://youtu.be/tLP9fKk1CjI?si=i0F9GlV0trabuhux

Impressions are that the slide has enough margin for the weight. I think a traditional small optic would work without malfunctioning.

I used two types of wimpy ammo. Gun is stock except for sights and optics.

No malfunctions.

DPP at distance works pretty much like a traditional red dot. I don’t notice the window size limitations at distance.

Close up it’s ghost ring.

Medium range and fast speed is where it would give way to a large window dot but I don’t think give up much if anything to irons.

PTSDog
09-28-2023, 07:25 AM
Extensions, ETS mags and ProMags hahaha.

How do the Pro Mags run? I use ETS mags with good results, and the only Pro Mag I have uses that work was the G44 ones. Up until now, only tried the Pro Mag double stacks. But I figured it’s hard to mess up a single stack mag in 2023.

Jerry

JCN
09-28-2023, 08:01 AM
How do the Pro Mags run? I use ETS mags with good results, and the only Pro Mag I have uses that work was the G44 ones. Up until now, only tried the Pro Mag double stacks. But I figured it’s hard to mess up a single stack mag in 2023.

Jerry

They run well for me but I don’t have a lot of round counts with them.

Usually if something doesn’t work, I don’t just whine about it or summarily dismiss it. I usually open it up and removing any molding / flashing remnants, polish the inside of the mag bodies and look at the follower / spring to see if there’s any obvious hang ups/wear and relieve that area (or switch it for a known good one).

But like you said, it’s simpler for a single stack. The followers tend to be flat rather than complex. They are with the Magguts which work well.

PTSDog
09-28-2023, 09:44 AM
JCN

I find a good “fluff and buff” with the followers solve a lot of problems as well, especially with the ETS mags (which I use almost exclusively for range and dry firing/laser training).

I have use Advantage Weapon Part’s followers and have gotten great results with them. They do require a cleanup around the edges, but they have worked for me and my G43 and G42 and a Shield.

I use the Magguts as well. Have had excellent with them in most single stacks. In 03 G42 mags, no problems in the last two years. Their followers are well made.

Be safe,
Jerry

GearFondler
10-06-2023, 03:54 PM
So after buying the G42 for my wife and taking her out to shoot it, it's a no-go for her.
She struggled to figure out how to grip it, and that's with a Hogue sleeve that I added to it. Her thumbs kept riding the slide and that kept causing it to choke. That's no good for her.
So she tried one of my Gen3 G19's and loved that one. And shot it well, without issue.
So now she has a Gen5 G19 on the way.

psalms144.1
10-07-2023, 09:39 AM
So after buying the G42 for my wife and taking her out to shoot it, it's a no-go for her.
She struggled to figure out how to grip it, and that's with a Hogue sleeve that I added to it. Her thumbs kept riding the slide and that kept causing it to choke. That's no good for her.
So she tried one of my Gen3 G19's and loved that one. And shot it well, without issue.
So now she has a Gen5 G19 on the way.I had a similar result with my wife. She couldn't/wouldn't grip the pistol in a way that allowed proper functioning, and wasn't willing to train around the specifics of the G42 to make it better. Down the road it went. She shoots my P365MS just fine, if she ever decides she wants a "little" gun for carry. In the meantime, if it's not a 1911, she's not interested in shooting it :)

rawkguitarist
10-08-2023, 05:19 AM
Is anyone milling the 42 for an optic, and if so, do the pistols run reliably?
When I had my 42 milled, I literally couldn't even find a picture of one online. C&H Precision was the only company online that listed the 42 for milling. I called to verify they could do it. They did a great job and turned it around in a week.

I installed a tungsten guide rod with a slightly reduced spring from The Glock Store. I TRIED to get it to malfunction and was unsuccessful. Used multiple types of ammo including my carry ammo (Hornady XTP 90) and multiple shitty grips. As loose as I could hold it without letting it go... It would have taken 1 or 2 rounds with a G19 for it to stovepipe. I'm fully confident in it.

Hambo
10-08-2023, 05:20 PM

I shoot mine as though it were a J-frame, i.e. not thumbs up/forward. R thumb is down near the mag release, L thumb locked down on it. Works great for me.

Navin Johnson
10-08-2023, 05:39 PM

After reading your post, I shot my 42 with my thumbs, very high, pressing into the slide hard and could not get it to malfunction

I almost never get the slide to lock back on empty mag, due to high thumbs, but otherwise it functions fine

Mine is very recent vintage with 03 mags. Is yours the newest gen? With stock mags?

GearFondler
10-08-2023, 05:48 PM
After reading your post, I shot my 42 with my thumbs, very high, pressing into the slide hard and could not get it to malfunction

I almost never get the slide to lock back on empty mag, due to high thumbs, but otherwise it functions fine

Mine is very recent vintage with 03 mags. Is yours the newest gen? With stock mags?Brand new purchase, yes.

She was shooting American Eagle 95gr FMJ.

I watched her experience a few stove pipes and a few FTE's, all with her thumbs riding the slide. And she definitely doesn't grip as hard as I do. That alone may have been the issue.
Could experimentation and practice solve the issue? Probably.
Is she interested in putting in that kind of work? Not right now, no. Especially not when she shot the G19 without issue and enjoyed it much more than her G48.
The G42 is in my pocket for now so it's not a huge loss, lol.

frozentundra
10-08-2023, 08:21 PM

What magazine is that?

zaitcev
10-08-2023, 08:32 PM
C&H Precision was the only company online that listed the 42 for milling.
Weird, I'm pretty sure Vulcan was the first to offer milling a G42, and they remain in that business:
https://vulcanmachinewerks.com/other-brand-optics/

jandbj
10-08-2023, 09:03 PM
Maple leaf also will cut a 42.

https://www.mapleleaffirearms.com/glock507k

rawkguitarist
10-08-2023, 10:53 PM
Weird, I'm pretty sure Vulcan was the first to offer milling a G42, and they remain in that business:
https://vulcanmachinewerks.com/other-brand-optics/

Well, I didn’t intend to mean they were the only company. Just the only one I found.

Good to know others offer it too.

Navin Johnson
10-08-2023, 10:57 PM
Brand new purchase, yes.

She was shooting American Eagle 95gr FMJ.

I watched her experience a few stove pipes and a few FTE's, all with her thumbs riding the slide. And she definitely doesn't grip as hard as I do. That alone may have been the issue.
Could experimentation and practice solve the issue? Probably.
Is she interested in putting in that kind of work? Not right now, no. Especially not when she shot the G19 without issue and enjoyed it much more than her G48.

Unless I miss read are you using stock factory six round magazines?

rawkguitarist
10-08-2023, 11:00 PM
What magazine is that?

OEM mag with a Strike Industries +2 extension. I’ve got a few extensions. It’s definitely my fav.

https://www.strikeindustries.com/si-emp-g42.html

GearFondler
10-08-2023, 11:29 PM
Unless I miss read are you using stock factory six round magazines?OEM except I installed the +0 Pierce extensions that add the pinky rest but keep it 6 rounds.... I can't imagine that being part of the issue.

Hambo
10-09-2023, 03:32 AM

It's your gain. ;)

Dusty Stone
10-10-2023, 02:01 AM
Love my G42 :cool:

zaitcev
11-30-2023, 03:54 PM
One other thing: I noticed that they both have a minimum bullet weight, below which they become less reliable. That 500+ to 1000 strings I mentioned above can only be attained with bullets of 90 grains or heavier. As long as the bullet is heavy enough, it does not matter what shape it is: they feed any kind of hollow points or ball, including blunt-nosed WWB.

https://www.luckygunner.com/lounge/sig-p365-380-revisited/

Chris Baker concurs on heavier bullets improving the reliability of small locked breech automatics in .380. As quoted above, I preached that for years, ever since the Glock 42 came on the market and refused to cycle Barnes. However, Chris adds measurements of slide velocity, which is a direct input of reliability. The bullet weight is one of the inputs into that. However, he and I agree that bullet weight has the greatest influence, greater than the muzzle energy. This is bad news for fans of lightweight monolithic bullets backed by a spicy charge.

SCCY Marshal
12-01-2023, 11:48 AM
https://www.luckygunner.com/lounge/sig-p365-380-revisited/

Chris Baker concurs on heavier bullets improving the reliability of small locked breech automatics in .380...

Given the spotty performance I've seen 115 grain 9mm offer, this phenomena isn't exclusive to the little guns. Granted they are engineered on the edge to prioritize concealment (read: size, weight, footprint) over raw shooting performance so are understandably much more ammunition-sensitive. A condition exacerbated by the cultural thought that handguns can just be fed whatever despite rimfires having preferred loads one needs to find, shotguns having prefered loads from barrel to barrel, and rifles needing a preferred load for proper performance. Applying that mindset to the little automatics is definitely a recipe for trouble.

parishioner
12-29-2023, 10:48 PM
First outing with a NIB G42. I had an Ameriglo fiber optic set installed.
Cleaned and lubed and off to the range.
50 rounds of Speer Lawman 95gr FMJ was used.

First round fired resulted in a stovepipe.

Second magazine experienced a failure to feed.

3rd magazine I had a failure to lock back but I’m confident it was user induced due to my grip.

Then on the 4th or 5th magazine I experienced a perplexing malfunction that I still don’t fully understand which I can only describe as some sort of failure to cycle, to the point where I feel a bit crazy. I loaded a fresh magazine and fired a round. Went to fire the second round and heard “click”. I presumed it was a light primer strike or that I would be ejecting a spent cartridge when I racked the slide, however after slowly pulling the slide to the rear to examine the issue, the chamber was empty. So either the spent casing was ejected upon firing and the slide didn’t pick up the next round which seems very implausible or a spent casing or cartridge with light primer strike did come out when I pulled the slide to the rear and I just didn’t see it? Idk, strange.

Experienced no other issues. Accuracy was great out to 7yds with very manageable recoil. The shooting experience was fun as others here have reported however I am disappointed with the malfunctions and will not be carrying it until I can vet it further.

TGS
12-29-2023, 11:16 PM
First outing with a NIB G42.

Sorry to see you're having that trouble.

By any chance, did you mark the magazines to track which magazine(s) you're having the issues with in order to isolate the cause?

Navin Johnson
12-30-2023, 12:10 AM
First outing with a NIB G42. I had an Ameriglo fiber optic set installed.
Cleaned and lubed and off to the range.
50 rounds of Speer Lawman 95gr FMJ was used.

First round fired resulted in a stovepipe.

Second magazine experienced a failure to feed.

3rd magazine I had a failure to lock back but I’m confident it was user induced due to my grip.

Then on the 4th or 5th magazine I experienced a perplexing malfunction that I still don’t fully understand which I can only describe as some sort of failure to cycle, to the point where I feel a bit crazy. I loaded a fresh magazine and fired a round. Went to fire the second round and heard “click”. I presumed it was a light primer strike or that I would be ejecting a spent cartridge when I racked the slide, however after slowly pulling the slide to the rear to examine the issue, the chamber was empty. So either the spent casing was ejected upon firing and the slide didn’t pick up the next round which seems very implausible or a spent casing or cartridge with light primer strike did come out when I pulled the slide to the rear and I just didn’t see it? Idk, strange.

Experienced no other issues. Accuracy was great out to 7yds with very manageable recoil. The shooting experience was fun as others here have reported however I am disappointed with the malfunctions and will not be carrying it until I can vet it further.

I have a very new one…..it is sensitive. Seems the hotter Factory stuff runs better. Very fun to shoot very low recoil. Don’t really trust it.

jh9
12-30-2023, 08:32 AM
I am disappointed with the malfunctions and will not be carrying it until I can vet it further.

It should be up to date but still worth verifying that all magazines are marked "03" on the back.

It's a tiny gun and I don't have another Glock to compare but IIRC the slide sits lower in your hand than any other Glock. Next time you shoot it make sure your thumbs aren't touching/dragging on the slide. You may need to position your thumbs lower than you're used to on a Glock.

parishioner
12-30-2023, 12:36 PM
Sorry to see you're having that trouble.

By any chance, did you mark the magazines to track which magazine(s) you're having the issues with in order to isolate the cause?

Gun came with 2 magazines and I used the same magazine for all 50 rounds because at the time I didn’t want to introduce more variables but I do have it marked and will alternate in the next outing.

It should be up to date but still worth verifying that all magazines are marked "03" on the back.

It's a tiny gun and I don't have another Glock to compare but IIRC the slide sits lower in your hand than any other Glock. Next time you shoot it make sure your thumbs aren't touching/dragging on the slide. You may need to position your thumbs lower than you're used to on a Glock.

Just verified that both magazines are marked “03” on the back with the followers being marked “2”.

Yes, once I got the failure to lock back I realized it was due to my thumb riding the slide stop and adjusted my grip with my thumbs down and it didn’t happen again.

I guess it’s possible all of these issues were due to my grip and inexperience with this gun as the issues seemed to stop about halfway through. I dont recall feeling like I could have been limp wristing but it’s possible.

I’ll try to locate some hotter ammo.

Glenn E. Meyer
12-30-2023, 12:40 PM
My G42 is going on an outing on 1/18. Report then. It had a checkered history being one of the first. Jam on the first round. Fired out of battery once - scary! Etc. Back to Glock. Been ok. I usually see at least one jam with every gun I shoot at a match. We will see.

SCCY Marshal
12-30-2023, 01:09 PM
...I’ll try to locate some hotter ammo.

As much as I usually like Lawman. the 380 ACP load has had spotty reliability in several pistols that have been through my safe. Pre-shortage, I avoided it when possible.

parishioner
12-30-2023, 01:25 PM
As much as I usually like Lawman. the 380 ACP load has had spotty reliability in several pistols that have been through my safe. Pre-shortage, I avoided it when possible.

Good to know, thank you. I only bought it due to lawman having a good reputation on this site as I have never used it before.

Totem Polar
12-30-2023, 01:53 PM
parishioner, one more consideration, since others have covered grip and ammo. Once in a while, one of the original slimline Glocks will exhibit this behavior when taken straight from the shop to the range. My recent G43 was just like your G42 on day one. Digging around the internet reveals a good number of anecdotes where fully loading the magazines and letting them sit overnight/a week/whatever effects a fix. The 6-round mags seem to need to take an initial spring set before they stop overdriving the slide velocity. Sure enough, I had a couple of early FTE and stove pipes on outing one, that thus far seem to have gone away in subsequent outings after stuffing all my mags with 6 rounds and leaving them until outing #2, however long that was (a week or two, in my case).

I mean, FWIW.

parishioner
12-30-2023, 03:41 PM
parishionerDigging around the internet reveals a good number of anecdotes where fully loading the magazines and letting them sit overnight/a week/whatever effects a fix. The 6-round mags seem to need to take an initial spring set before they stop overdriving the slide velocity. Sure enough, I had a couple of early FTE and stove pipes on outing one, that thus far seem to have gone away in subsequent outings after stuffing all my mags with 6 rounds and leaving them until outing #2, however long that was (a week or two, in my case).

I’ll give that a try.

What ammo have you had success with?

Navin Johnson
12-30-2023, 03:50 PM
parishioner, one more consideration, since others have covered grip and ammo. Once in a while, one of the original slimline Glocks will exhibit this behavior when taken straight from the shop to the range. My recent G43 was just like your G42 on day one. Digging around the internet reveals a good number of anecdotes where fully loading the magazines and letting them sit overnight/a week/whatever effects a fix. The 6-round mags seem to need to take an initial spring set before they stop overdriving the slide velocity. Sure enough, I had a couple of early FTE and stove pipes on outing one, that thus far seem to have gone away in subsequent outings after stuffing all my mags with 6 rounds and leaving them until outing #2, however long that was (a week or two, in my case).

I mean, FWIW.

How does a magazine over run the slide? With my 300 round gun with a late 23 build date the shell is not getting up fast enough (nose up against barrel hood)

zaitcev
01-01-2024, 02:12 PM
How does a magazine over run the slide? With my 300 round gun with a late 23 build date the shell is not getting up fast enough (nose up against barrel hood)

Like this?

I swapped out OEM magazine springs for Wolf +10% and it seemed to help. That said eventually I got tired of tinkering and swapped G42 for P365. They are the same size (e.g. smaller than G43), so the only penalty is the weight. My G42 was about 12 oz and P365 is 16 oz. But it always works, so I decided to eat the extra weight. I'm still a little sad about my G42s (I had two, just in case). But they always were on the edge of reliability.

Wonder9
01-20-2024, 06:31 PM
So I picked up a Glock 42 to replace my 442 because my accuracy suffers too bad past 15 yards. My friendly LGS had one and it had the latest -3 magazines, so I picked it up. I had a box of pre-2020 Fiocchi 380AP FMJ and bought a new box of Fiocchi Range Dynamics FMJ. I put some light grease on the rails and barrel locking area and went to town. I started with the Fiocchi Range Dynamics. I had 48 malfunctions. Half were where the G42 fired, but did not eject the empty cartridge. The rest were a combo of brass getting caught in the ejection port and getting jammed at an angle. The angled jams were either against the empty brass in the chamber, or it ejected and got wedged against the barrel.

On the last two rounds, they fed and fired normally which I made an audible "Woo-Hoo". I went back up to the shop and bought a box of S&B .380FMJ. Went back down to the range, and the G42 ran like a normal Glock for the whole box. I then shot 25 rounds of the older Fiocchi 380 FMJ and it functioned like normal. I really like the recoil characteristics, but I pull to the left bad with the G42. I have to move my trigger finger up higher on the trigger and use the joint instead of my finger pad. I do think part of it is I've been ignoring my Glocks as of late and I hate the ball&bucket sights. I think I'll end up ordering a case of S&B .380, some Ameriglo sights, and see if the G42 continues to perform.

So 75-48 is the current good to bad count. This is going to be a dedicated pocket BUG, so the dimensions are why I didn't go with other options. Plus, it is such a pussycat to shoot. Not a good review, but all malfunctions were the first box and with one type of ammo. I'm cautiously optimistic that it continue to act like a normal Glock.

Duelist
01-20-2024, 07:55 PM
So I picked up a Glock 42 to replace my 442 because my accuracy suffers too bad past 15 yards. My friendly LGS had one and it had the latest -3 magazines, so I picked it up. I had a box of pre-2020 Fiocchi 380AP FMJ and bought a new box of Fiocchi Range Dynamics FMJ. I put some light grease on the rails and barrel locking area and went to town. I started with the Fiocchi Range Dynamics. I had 48 malfunctions. Half were where the G42 fired, but did not eject the empty cartridge. The rest were a combo of brass getting caught in the ejection port and getting jammed at an angle. The angled jams were either against the empty brass in the chamber, or it ejected and got wedged against the barrel.

On the last two rounds, they fed and fired normally which I made an audible "Woo-Hoo". I went back up to the shop and bought a box of S&B .380FMJ. Went back down to the range, and the G42 ran like a normal Glock for the whole box. I then shot 25 rounds of the older Fiocchi 380 FMJ and it functioned like normal. I really like the recoil characteristics, but I pull to the left bad with the G42. I have to move my trigger finger up higher on the trigger and use the joint instead of my finger pad. I do think part of it is I've been ignoring my Glocks as of late and I hate the ball&bucket sights. I think I'll end up ordering a case of S&B .380, some Ameriglo sights, and see if the G42 continues to perform.

So 75-48 is the current good to bad count. This is going to be a dedicated pocket BUG, so the dimensions are why I didn't go with other options. Plus, it is such a pussycat to shoot. Not a good review, but all malfunctions were the first box and with one type of ammo. I'm cautiously optimistic that it continue to act like a normal Glock.

If it likes your ammunition, it should run like a sewing machine. One of mine will do about what you described with flat nose WWB FMJ, the other will do it less, but both run like corn through a goose on regular RN FMJ and Hornady XTP.

I got them due to form and weight, but I still use an airweight Centennial for a pocket gun most of the time.

Navin Johnson
01-20-2024, 08:13 PM

What kind of range are you expecting to engage with a pocket pistol as a civilian?

J frames are very accurate

If you anticipate engaging tangos at 15 to 45 yards, I’d highly recommend a full-size carry gun

I have a brand new 42 with around 500 g through it and I get random malfunctions so if it runs with certain ammo, but not with others, or if it works with some people, but not with others it makes me think it’s on the very edge of reliability….. doesn’t seem like a good defensive tool. It’s too bad because it’s very shootable.

The 42 is not a pocket pistol it’s a holster pistol. And for those of you who say the 42 is just fine get your buddy to get a set of boxing gloves and on go have them start punching you in the face as fast as they can and see which gun you can get out easier. (Vs a J frame)

echo5charlie
01-21-2024, 01:28 PM
What kind of range are you expecting to engage with a pocket pistol as a civilian?

If you anticipate engaging tangos at 15 to 45 yards, I’d highly recommend a full-size carry gun

I have a brand new 42 with around 500 g through it and I get random malfunctions so if it runs with certain ammo, but not with others, or if it works with some people, but not with others it makes me think it’s on the very edge of reliability….. doesn’t seem like a good defensive tool. It’s too bad because it’s very shootable.

The 42 is not a pocket pistol it’s a holster pistol. And for those of you who say the 42 is just fine get your buddy to get a set of boxing gloves and on go have them start punching you in the face as fast as they can and see which gun you can get out easier. (Vs a J frame)

Do you seriously propose that as actual consideration criteria for pocket carry?

Navin Johnson
01-21-2024, 02:57 PM
Do you seriously propose that as actual consideration criteria for pocket carry?

No

Some friends and I used to run some drills on SA in a martial arts environment. This was one of many things we did. Hammerless revolvers are vastly superior drawing from the pocket under duress was our conclusion. YMMV

Tannhauser
01-21-2024, 04:13 PM

I agree. That would be a strange criteria.

It’s definitely possible to put too much pistol in a pocket, such that it becomes difficult to draw quickly and cleanly. I have pants where I can quickly and cleanly pocket draw a LCP or LCR, but a P365 is too big.

My pocket carry battery is a LCP, G42 or P365. P365 is pretty big and heavy for this purpose, and many pant’s pockets are insufficient.

Duluth Firehose pants are awesome for pocket carry. I can carry any of the above pistols in these pants pockets.

Wonder9
01-22-2024, 10:10 AM

I don't know what kind of sadomasochistic drills y'all run, but I'll stick to more conventional training methods.:D

The reasons rethinking the Airweight are pretty simple; the wife hates shooting it and tbh I do as well. I prefer a faster reload and using a dedicated pocket holster for an automatic has never been an issue for me. Plus, I would rather have a pistol I can call shots at 25 yards than wonder where some wadcutter may end up. I thought about going with a steel J-frame, but that's a belt gun and I'll be happier with a P30 if a belt is required. Ultimately, I just like .380ACP and the G42 just is a dandy little pistol.

Back to the reliability aspect, I noticed the old Fiocchi was Italian made whereas the Range Dynamics is made here in the States. I've always skipped both .32ACP and .380ACP that is American made since the Europeans seem to load it correctly. Still don't know if it was a break in issue or just ammo issue. I plan on trying to keep this thread updated and make this my primary project gun. Probably will still keep the Airweight though.

Navin Johnson
01-22-2024, 12:28 PM
I don't know what kind of sadomasochistic drills y'all run, but I'll stick to more conventional training methods.:D

The reasons rethinking the Airweight are pretty simple; the wife hates shooting it and tbh I do as well. I prefer a faster reload and using a dedicated pocket holster for an automatic has never been an issue for me. Plus, I would rather have a pistol I can call shots at 25 yards than wonder where some wadcutter may end up. I thought about going with a steel J-frame, but that's a belt gun and I'll be happier with a P30 if a belt is required. Ultimately, I just like .380ACP and the G42 just is a dandy little pistol.

Back to the reliability aspect, I noticed the old Fiocchi was Italian made whereas the Range Dynamics is made here in the States. I've always skipped both .32ACP and .380ACP that is American made since the Europeans seem to load it correctly. Still don't know if it was a break in issue or just ammo issue. I plan on trying to keep this thread updated and make this my primary project gun. Probably will still keep the Airweight though.

Mine has had issues with AE and Lawman as well as others if it helps. However, no problems with critical defense or XTP loaded underwood.