PDA

View Full Version : Frustration is spelled “B8”

jetfire
09-14-2021, 08:32 PM
I took the MR73 to the range for a grueling accuracy session. 10 full size B8 targets at 25 yards, 10 shots slow fire, double action. Goal: shoot a hundo. Result: amongst some 95s I also shot two 97s, a 98, and not one but TWO FUCKING 99s

Average score for all 10 targets in slow fire was 95.9

Oh and of course all these were shot double action, because single action is for the infirm and untalented ;-)

03RN
09-14-2021, 08:53 PM
I took the MR73 to the range for a grueling accuracy session. 10 full size B8 targets at 25 yards, 10 shots slow fire, double action. Goal: shoot a hundo. Result: amongst some 95s I also shot two 97s, a 98, and not one but TWO FUCKING 99s

Average score for all 10 targets in slow fire was 95.9

Oh and of course all these were shot double action, because single action is for the infirm and untalented ;-)

That's pretty darn impressive

jetfire
09-14-2021, 09:50 PM
That's pretty darn impressive

Thanks! This kind of focus over an extended range session is exhausting. I do think if I'd been using a more accurate round I might have gotten the job done. The Federal 130gr FMJ is fine for IDPA and such, but if I was shooting a bullseye match or Bianchi Cup I'd want something else.

WDR
09-14-2021, 09:58 PM
It's good to have goals. :D

I mostly suck... but one of my goals is to shoot 10/10 into the black of a B8 @ 25. I have had multiple runs where I keep 9/10 in the black (sometimes doing really well and keeping 9's and 10's) but inevitably I always shank one outside the black when I've been on a good clean run. Been chasing that goal since I started physical therapy after shoulder surgery last January

I did keep two ten round mags in a group that could just about be covered by my hand, rapid fire w/reload, at 25 last time. The shots trended low, centering around 6 o'clock on the bull. Had I been able to center the group, I think most would have been in the black. This is with an RMR'd G19... not irons. More work to do on dots/cadence/trigger control.

I have shot a few decent DA only B8's with my 60-10 ... but nothing approaches my performance with the red dot gun. Then again, J-frames and 25 yard B8's are not a normal combination. Excuses. But at least I try.

jetfire
09-14-2021, 10:13 PM
It's good to have goals. :D

I mostly suck... but one of my goals is to shoot 10/10 into the black of a B8 @ 25. I have had multiple runs where I keep 9/10 in the black (sometimes doing really well and keeping 9's and 10's) but inevitably I always shank one outside the black when I've been on a good clean run. Been chasing that goal since I started physical therapy after shoulder surgery last January

I did keep two ten round mags in a group that could just about be covered by my hand, rapid fire w/reload, at 25 last time. The shots trended low, centering around 6 o'clock on the bull. Had I been able to center the group, I think most would have been in the black. This is with an RMR'd G19... not irons. More work to do on dots/cadence/trigger control.

I have shot a few decent DA only B8's with my 60-10 ... but nothing approaches my performance with the red dot gun. Then again, J-frames and 25 yard B8's are not a normal combination. Excuses. But at least I try.

The best I've ever shot with a red dot gun was a 99 as well! Same ammo, but that was with my 586 L-Comp with an ACRO P-1 on top. The L-Comp has a better trigger and better sights than the MR73, so if I was going to pick a gun that gave me the best chance to shoot a hundo I'd grab that, re-zero it for 148 grain full wadcutters, and try that.

WDR
09-14-2021, 10:17 PM
A couple boxes of FGMM should go with you next time you try this. :cool:

45dotACP
09-14-2021, 10:45 PM
It be like that sometimes.

For me, it be like that almost all the times. Can't break a 98 personally. My best was shot with a Kimber of all guns.

Meanwhile my Alchemy Prime sits in the gun safe, staring balefully at me and demanding to know why I suck

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

JHC
09-15-2021, 02:18 AM
That is very nice. Such a session is definitely exhausting. For my tastes I actually enjoy such precision shooting more than blazing "up close". Fun but tiring.

JonInWA
09-15-2021, 07:20 AM
Caleb, what are your thoughts on the OEM Trausch grips now that you've had a chance to put some serious time on the MR73?

Best, Jon

lwt16
09-15-2021, 08:03 AM
I've only printed a handful of hundreds at 25 yards. I'm quite sure that just about every pistol and revolver I own is capable of it, but micro errors on my part are what make the difference.

When I shoot it one handed, the mental strain is definitely perceptible after a long session. It is also a great escape mechanism for me after a frustrating day on the street. It's just about the only way I can get into my bubble and de-stress so it's good for me but very tiring. Even though I strive for a 100-10x on every outing, part of me is glad that I can't shoot to that level on demand. I'm a solid mid 90s dude with most anything so that 5 percent error gives me something to work on.

50 yard B6 targets will take frustration to a whole new level. I'm quite happy if I "all black" one in one range trip. Typically I'm a mid to high 80s dude at 50.

I just do it for kicks. I can't imagine the mental focus it takes to shoot an official 2700 match. I've read others that say it's an all day mental drain.

Regards.

jetfire
09-15-2021, 08:32 AM
Caleb, what are your thoughts on the OEM Trausch grips now that you've had a chance to put some serious time on the MR73?

Best, Jon

I really like them. I don't grip them quite the way the French would likely want me to, since I end up with my hand pretty high on the faux beavertail. For a duty or competition revolver I think they're really good. For concealment they're an absolute train wreck, and print harder than Gutenberg making Bibles.

awp_101
09-15-2021, 08:59 AM
print harder than Gutenberg making Bibles.
Yep, I’ll be using that, yep, yep, yep.

Wayne Dobbs
09-15-2021, 09:54 AM
Thanks! This kind of focus over an extended range session is exhausting. I do think if I'd been using a more accurate round I might have gotten the job done. The Federal 130gr FMJ is fine for IDPA and such, but if I was shooting a bullseye match or Bianchi Cup I'd want something else.

That's not the most accurate .38 ammo ever made. I'd try some quality wadcutter ammo and see what you get. Those 99s are close enough that I think ammo dispersion got you the dropped points, not your aiming and triggering. I'll guess that the revolver is capable of just outside X ring accuracy off sandbags with match grade ammo.

jetfire
09-15-2021, 09:59 AM
That's not the most accurate .38 ammo ever made. I'd try some quality wadcutter ammo and see what you get. Those 99s are close enough that I think ammo dispersion got you the dropped points, not your aiming and triggering. I'll guess that the revolver is capable of just outside X ring accuracy off sandbags with match grade ammo.

I 100% agree. When I've done reviews of other revolvers, the 130gr American Eagle usually prints groups that are just average, nothing spectacular. Weirdly, some of the most accurate ammo I've shot is the Speer 158 grain +P FMJ, which has held really impressive groups out of a Colt Python and a Chiappa Match Master. I also have some of that good old Gold Medal Match full wadcutter laying around, but those are my carry ammo for my snub so I kind of don't want to burn them up on this.

03RN
09-15-2021, 10:27 AM
Back when I was working at a range we had a 30rd 25yard challenge among the staff and members.

The RI carry permit test required that you score 170 out of 300 iirc on an army L.

My high was a 293 I think. I need to start doing that again. I liked starting with that then move on to drills.

lwt16
09-15-2021, 10:39 AM

Definitely this.

My recent production Colt GC National Match is very average with 230 grain production FMJ. My Glock 41 can print tighter than it will all day long with hardball.

Throw in some semi wadcutters made by someone that knows their way around a reloading bench and the Colt blossoms. It's like night and day.

1Rangemaster
09-15-2021, 03:49 PM
Maybe you should try single action at 25 yards…

Spoken as a slightly infirm and moderately talented (I think) shooter.

Seriously, the shooting is excellent, and the 99s exceptional for double action-so, just kidding.
Is it an ammo issue? Have you considered the old “trick” of just shooting one chamber six times?
I kinda want one of these 73s….

LtDave
09-15-2021, 04:20 PM
I’ve shot some decent groups with Fiocchi 38G 158 FMJ RN and S&B 158 FMJ FP. Might be easier to find than the Federal GM wadcutters. If you can find the Winchester wadcutters, they are a good alternative to Federal. I shot a bunch back in my PPC days, and had no complaints accuracy wise.

Just checked and found the Fiocchi 38G available at a couple of vendors for .70 to .80 per round.

jetfire
09-16-2021, 01:29 PM
Maybe you should try single action at 25 yards…

Spoken as a slightly infirm and moderately talented (I think) shooter.

Seriously, the shooting is excellent, and the 99s exceptional for double action-so, just kidding.
Is it an ammo issue? Have you considered the old “trick” of just shooting one chamber six times?
I kinda want one of these 73s….

It's definitely the ammo, Federal 130gr FMJ isn't the most accurate round out there, and I'm pretty sure I'm at the point where I've maxed out the inherent accuracy of the combo of round/sights/trigger

Spartan1980
09-16-2021, 01:48 PM
Put that puppy in a properly mounted Ransom Rest. Pleeease.... :cool:

Guerrero
09-16-2021, 02:08 PM
jetfire's bad day = my best day at the range EVAR

lwt16
09-17-2021, 06:13 PM

jetfire

I swear I could hear you laugh at the exact moment I did a sighting error and threw round #8 high and blew that 100-6X on the right.

I gotta get stronger reading glasses.

jetfire
09-17-2021, 08:28 PM

jetfire

I swear I could hear you laugh at the exact moment I did a sighting error and threw round #8 high and blew that 100-6X on the right.

I gotta get stronger reading glasses.

Man I love targets that have been shot with wadcutters

jtcarm
09-23-2021, 02:56 PM
Man I love targets that have been shot with wadcutters

Very satisfying indeed.

That MR-73 is causing you such frustration, maybe you should send it to me?

jetfire
09-23-2021, 03:01 PM
Very satisfying indeed.

That MR-73 is causing you such frustration, maybe you should send it to me?

Funny story about that, which I unfortunately can't tell until next week at the earliest.

Lex Luthier
09-23-2021, 03:14 PM
Funny story about that, which I unfortunately can't tell until next week at the earliest.

I bet they're announcing a new model at Chapuis/Beretta: Le Modele "Caleb"

It will have an audio warning (speaker in the grip, next to the spare tube of Snark) whenever someone thumbs the hammer for a single action shot: (Caleb's voice en Francais) "Non! Imbecile!" (/Caleb's voice en Francais)

Apropos of little, I am so pleased with the effect of wadcutters on targets that I'd prefer to practice with them exclusively for the next year or so.

Adam
09-23-2021, 04:48 PM
Your skill with a revolver is both admirable and annoying as always.

Tom Givens shoots his standards on the reg and is always one down from a perfect score it seems. Sometimes skill meets luck in both directions.

Solid shooting man.

R89074
09-23-2021, 09:40 PM
My son took my 5 1/4 inch MR 73 6 shots double action more than 7 yards less than 10 with 158 grain lead cowboy loads. This was one of the first uses of the gun.
The Manurhin 73 shoots better than I will be able to do with it.
https://i.imgur.com/03RPcir.jpg

Hambo
09-24-2021, 05:04 AM
single action is for the infirm and untalented ;-)

Maybe you should try that until you hit all X's. ;)

03RN
10-05-2021, 08:13 PM
I need to get some actual B8s

I've been dry firing every day. No drills. Just very focused sets of 10-30.
First 6 today. DA at 25 yards with 158s@1250fps
Second 6
I got to 25 inside that spread before I had a squib and got a bullet stuck :mad: