PDA

View Full Version : Contemplating being done with the G43

Doc_Glock
09-07-2021, 11:52 AM
I have a couple G43s one for training purposes, one I carry. And I carry that one less and less often. I am debating getting out of the G43 game entirely for the following reasons:

With an Enigma I can carry a G26 just as easily in a deep concealment situation.

I have found I can run using a belt and a Perun Holster and be just as happy with a G26.

The G43 is too large for a pocket and with the size and reliability of the LCP MAX in my hands, I really like having ten rather than seven rounds on tap in a pocket gun.

The G43 isn't pleasant to shoot. And while I have not had problems shooting it, I took a new, smaller framed, male shooter to the range who wanted to try out various guns yesterday; he had no problem with the G19 or LCP, but had quite a few malfunctions with the G43 which I attribute to weak grip/limp wristing.

There is no way I would want my even smaller framed daughters running the G43 because they would hate it. I would rather they have a G42 or something fullsized.

The G43 takes its own proprietary mags that don't fit any other Glock.

I think the G43 in general is probably outclassed by the other small 9s from S&W and Sig. I can't imagine in this current world choosing a G43 over a P365.

blues
09-07-2021, 12:04 PM
Welcome to the dark side. ;)

(G26 carriers unite!)

APS-PF
09-07-2021, 12:07 PM
I also got rid of my G43s and am doing the G26/G42 pair to cover the bases.

Mitch
09-07-2021, 12:15 PM
The 43/43X/48 are not glocks best offerings in my opinion. I think the 26 is the best small gun they make, and like you said if you need smaller a P365 is probably the way to go currently.

willie
09-07-2021, 12:17 PM
Doesn't the 43X's higher capacity and larger grip compensate for some of the above complaints about the regular 43?

Doc_Glock
09-07-2021, 01:00 PM
Doesn't the 43X's higher capacity and larger grip compensate for some of the above complaints about the regular 43?

Capacity of a G26, size of a G19 reliability of a G43. Sort of the worst of all worlds IMO.

TC215
09-07-2021, 02:19 PM
I have a couple G43s one for training purposes, one I carry. And I carry that one less and less often. I am debating getting out of the G43 game entirely for the following reasons:

With an Enigma I can carry a G26 just as easily in a deep concealment situation.

I have found I can run using a belt and a Perun Holster and be just as happy with a G26.

The G43 is too large for a pocket and with the size and reliability of the LCP MAX in my hands, I really like having ten rather than seven rounds on tap in a pocket gun.

The G43 isn't pleasant to shoot. And while I have not had problems shooting it, I took a new, smaller framed, male shooter to the range who wanted to try out various guns yesterday; he had no problem with the G19 or LCP, but had quite a few malfunctions with the G43 which I attribute to weak grip/limp wristing.

There is no way I would want my even smaller framed daughters running the G43 because they would hate it. I would rather they have a G42 or something fullsized.

The G43 takes its own proprietary mags that don't fit any other Glock.

I think the G43 in general is probably outclassed by the other small 9s from S&W and Sig. I can't imagine in this current world choosing a G43 over a P365.

FWIW, most of our lab personnel/forensic scientists opt for the 43 over the 19M. The vast majority of them are not “shooters,” and a lot are small-framed women. I don’t recall seeing any issues with the function of the 43’s (the main issue is they can’t hit anything…but the gun works).

Darth_Uno
09-07-2021, 02:45 PM

I keep going back and forth on whether the 43X/48 is the best of both worlds, or a weird in-between size I don't need.

Greg Bell
09-07-2021, 02:56 PM
I agree. I always got very good performance out of my Glock 26s. By the time you get a holster involved, especially one that is designed to actually be accessible in a fight, the difference really isn't enough to justify the micro-G. Dammit, now I want to get another 26.

TGS
09-07-2021, 03:01 PM
I keep going back and forth on whether the 43X/48 is the best of both worlds, or a weird in-between size I don't need.

100% the latter.

I get that people like them, but if you can carry either then you can carry a 19 without any of the 43X/48 cons.

However back to the topic, this thread is about the 43 which is a different gun with a useful envelope.

Lost River
09-07-2021, 03:15 PM
100% the latter.

I get that people like them, but if you can carry either then you can carry a 19 without any of the 43X/48 cons.

However back to the topic, this thread is about the 43 which is a different gun with a useful envelope.

That is pretty much where I am. I get that there are some awesome little guns out there, but the majority still are optimally utilized in conjunction with a belt holster. I just can't see how they are really substantially greater than a basic G19. It does everything well, outside of pocket carry, and I would still prefer an enclosed hammer J Frame as a BUG for that.

A basic Gen 3 G19 has been a gold standard (for me) for a long time, for good reason.

Now, back to the regularly scheduled program. :)

GJM
09-07-2021, 03:15 PM
The 43 and 43X are different animals despite sharing 43 in their name.

I only have a little 48 experience, but have experience with a number of 43X pistols. Zero reliability issues with any of them. I find, compared to a 26, the longer grip of the 43X makes it easier to draw, easier to hang onto, and easier to drop the magazine than a 26. The thinner slide is easier for me to conceal than a 26.

If you look at the Glock pistols on the shelves at gun stores, the 19 and 43X are clearly two of the most popular models, and it is hard to find a 26.

The 43 probably made sense when the regular Shield was the competition, but in a world of the 365 and Shield Plus, the 43 seems large for its capacity, and hard to shoot.

JAH 3rd
09-07-2021, 03:19 PM
You've given the reasons you don't like the G43. Let us know what you decide on to take its place. I was like that with my Sig P245, a 6-shot version of the P220 I bought years ago. On paper it sounded good.....a small 45acp. But after just one trip to the range, I found out it just didn't work for me. My biggest gripe was the small grip area, which for me, just wasn't enough for me to hold onto. In the case of the P245, my emotion overruled my ability to think that purchase through.

vcdgrips
09-07-2021, 03:29 PM
The 43/48 is neither fish nor foul for me. The vast majority of the time, I can conceal a G19 ( G26 for you) and have a gun that is far more capable to be shot rapidly and well. This is from a guy who's EDC was a G35 AIWB 90% of the time until COVID when I have been a bit more casual and not wearing a sport coat as a cover garment.

The few times a year when I think I want to go smaller, my response has been to go old skool with a j-frame. Even that is a bit of a size compromise as I put on a bigger set of grips because that was a software solution to the hardware problem of shooting the gun more to get better with it outside of the 0-5 yrd window.

Dump the G43. You could get a 26 and have the grip thinned down and likely have a much better set up for the youngsters in the house.

Alternatively, the pivot away from Glock completely to the SIG 365 platform is a way to go.

Let us know what you do.

Doc_Glock
09-07-2021, 04:07 PM
You've given the reasons you don't like the G43. Let us know what you decide on to take its place.

I can replace it with a G26 in almost every instance. For ankle carry I can see the extra weight of the 26 being a no go. But I don't ankle carry.

Doc_Glock
09-07-2021, 04:10 PM
The 43/48 is neither fish nor foul for me. The vast majority of the time, I can conceal a G19 ( G26 for you) and have a gun that is far more capable to be shot rapidly and well. This is from a guy who's EDC was a G35 AIWB 90% of the time until COVID when I have been a bit more casual and not wearing a sport coat as a cover garment.

The few times a year when I think I want to go smaller, my response has been to go old skool with a j-frame. Even that is a bit of a size compromise as I put on a bigger set of grips because that was a software solution to the hardware problem of shooting the gun more to get better with it outside of the 0-5 yrd window.

Dump the G43. You could get a 26 and have the grip thinned down and likely have a much better set up for the youngsters in the house.

Alternatively, the pivot away from Glock completely to the SIG 365 platform is a way to go.

Let us know what you do.

I am actually a chopped grip G17 guy most of the time. But a 19 can be used interchangeably as EDC belt gun.

The G26 is for biking, running and hiking where weight becomes more of an issue.

LCP (now LCP MAX) for when I need something truly tiny for the pocket.

I have considered just standardizing on the G19 slide length and chopping the grip on one to fulfill the "product improved" G26 with a rail role.

davisj
09-07-2021, 04:13 PM
Due to my man-sized hands I struggled to shoot the 43 at speed because the grip was too small. The 26 grip was too short, never felt right when shooting strings of fire and led to pinched hands on reloads. The 43X is my small 9mm when I don’t want to carry the G45 or G19. I agree with GJM above, the 43X is the sweet spot for me. Parted with the 43 and 26 years ago and no desire to go back.

blues
09-07-2021, 04:21 PM
Due to my man-sized hands I struggled to shoot the 43 at speed because the grip was too small. The 26 grip was too short, never felt right when shooting strings of fire and led to pinched hands on reloads. The 43X is my small 9mm when I don’t want to carry the G45 or G19. I agree with GJM above, the 43X is the sweet spot for me. Parted with the 43 and 26 years ago and no desire to go back.

Infidel!!!

Darth_Uno
09-07-2021, 04:40 PM
100% the latter.

That's my point. I view the 43/43X/48 as "When I Can't Carry a 19" guns. I'm not worried about how comfortable they are to shoot all day, because I'm never going to. They're comfortable to carry, but so is a 19 for me, so that's a non-issue.

The 43 excels at being concealable when, once again, I just can't carry a 19. And if I really want more ammo, I can get +2 mags. And if I do that I can just put the 43 slide on my 48 frame for 2 more rounds. But if I do that, the slide length isn't the issue - I can just carry the 48.

So the question for me is whether the 48/43X is any better than a 43 just to get 2 (or 4) extra rounds. And vice versa. Some days I'd tell you it is, some days I'd say it isn't.

And on most of those days I'm carrying a 19 anyway.

TGS
09-07-2021, 04:57 PM
That's my point. I view the 43/43X/48 as "When I Can't Carry a 19" guns. I'm not worried about how comfortable they are to shoot all day, because I'm never going to. They're comfortable to carry, but so is a 19 for me, so that's a non-issue.

The 43 excels at being concealable when, once again, I just can't carry a 19. And if I really want more ammo, I can get +2 mags. And if I do that I can just put the 43 slide on my 48 frame for 2 more rounds. But if I do that, the slide length isn't the issue - I can just carry the 48.

So the question for me is whether the 48/43X is any better than a 43 just to get 2 (or 4) extra rounds. And vice versa. Some days I'd tell you it is, some days I'd say it isn't.

And on most of those days I'm carrying a 19 anyway.

Maybe my issue (including with the below post) is that, to me, the 43X and 48 are emphatically NOT "when I can't carry a 19" guns. They are substitutes, or alternatives, to a 19. They take up almost the same footprint. They're a little more comfortable than the 19 since they're a little thinner and a little lighter, but for the vast majority of people outside a few niches like people with very small frames, they can not be concealed in any manner that you can't already conceal a 19.

The 43X and 48, rather than being a "when I can't carry a 19" gun, is the "I can carry a 19, but I find this a little more comfortable and I'm okay with 10 rounds since I'm just a civilian" gun.

Not bitching at you, just thinking outloud:

I don't "get" this because the 43 is a gun that you can carry, conceptually, in roles that you typically can't make-do with a G19 or G45.*

The 43X is not.

The way my brain works, at least, the decision should not be 43 or 19 even though sure sometimes we all get lazy or feel like the smaller gun would just be "easier" to deal with right now. The way my brain works, the decision should be based on: I can carry a 43, or I can carry nothing.

I don't see the 43 as an substitute to the 19, and I don't understand why people keep bringing up the 43X and 48. So I don't understand why someone would have a revelation that the 43X or G48 is an easier shooting gun and buy it to replace the 43. The 43 is harder to draw and shoot as well because it's a smaller gun....the idea being the smaller gun can do things the bigger gun can't. Don't buy and carry the smaller two-finger gun if you don't need a small gun.

As a hyberbolic expression, it's sort of like saying, "I can't shoot a Glock 19 as well as I can shoot an AR15, so I bought an AR15 to replace the Glock 19". Well, no shit you're more effective with the AR15, but you supposedly bought the Glock 19 because you can carry the 19 in ways you can't carry an AR15.

I'm not sure if that makes sense with how I've written it.

*yes, I get it, some people can carry a Glock 34 XL Nuclear ZRT Roland Tactical Warfighter when wearing a banana hammock (or claim to, I have my doubts having been to a P-F.com event before and seeing what people consider effective concealment). Most people can't.

Clusterfrack
09-07-2021, 05:21 PM
TGS, this makes complete sense to me. I gave my G43 to Girl#1, and haven’t replaced it. Her hands are the size of a child’s, and she shoots it like a boss. Well, like a very small boss.

A LCR 9 works as well or better for me in the small gun role.

And a G26 is almost as concealable, but far more capable. It even fits in the front pocket of my kayak PFD.

GJM
09-07-2021, 05:46 PM
An advantage that the 43X has over a 26, is it comes optics ready from the factory. If you carry a red dot, and want a factory red dot solution, the 26 is a non starter. Hopefully Glock rectifies that with a 26 MOS soon.

It is nice that you can lego 43, 43X and 48 pieces to get the configuration you want. Hopefully Glock also makes the 26 compatible with the 19/19X/45/47 family.

Duelist
09-07-2021, 06:12 PM
The G26 is the biggest gun I’m going to consider carrying on the daily. The G43 is a little thinner, but not much lighter. I’ve thought about getting one, but haven’t and probably won’t - I’d rather have a spare G26. I ended up with a pair of G42s instead of a 43 because SWMBO likes them and will shoot them, they are noticeably lighter, and this way I only have to stock oddball magazines and holsters for one tiny Glock model instead of two. The G42 works when the bigger guns don’t.

And I still carry my 642 an awful lot.

pangloss
09-07-2021, 06:24 PM
I like my 43. I can conceal it better than my G26. The 43 disappears AIWB under the lightest weight tee shirts I own. I can also pocket carry the 43. I get a better caliber, more rounds, and a faster reload than I do with a J frame. I usually run the factory +2 extensions on my Glock 26 mags. I started doing that before I bought my first G19, so maybe I should reexamine.

Having said all of that, the other micro nines on the market offer a lot over the G43...

Sent from my moto e5 cruise using Tapatalk

1911Nut
09-07-2021, 06:27 PM
I have XL hands (wear a size 12 glove).

I have a G43 with a Holosun 407K optic on it. (Directly milled by JagerWerks).

I like it better than any small revolver I have ever carried and can shoot it better than I can shoot a revolver, too.

I agree that it has its shortcomings and certainly has a limited range of applications that fit my needs. Bur it serves those limited needs well.

Think I will keep it.

I tried very hard to like the Sig P365XL (with and without the same Holosun 407K) before returning to the Glock, but simply did not like the ergonomics of that pistol.

It's important to note that I don't have the energy or ambition to fiddle around much with mini guns and certainly hope I never have to see the elephant with my G43 (or any other mini gun) as my ONLY tool to deal with the problem.

Lost River
09-07-2021, 06:31 PM

Let us know what you do.

I carried a G34 for an EP gun and used it off the clock too. IWB it really is just as easy to hide as well as most anything else and I don't think most realize until shown how close it is in size to a 1911. People used to think it was nuts until I put the two side by side, and the epiphany happened. Then when I explained the weight and capacity advantages, I did not seem quite as much like a knuckle dragger.

https://i.imgur.com/ZHPZDnd.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/joHpIU9.jpg?1

arcticlightfighter
09-07-2021, 06:40 PM
I like my 43. I can conceal it better than my G26. The 43 disappears AIWB under the lightest weight tee shirts I own. I can also pocket carry the 43. I get a better caliber, more rounds, and a faster reload than I do with a J frame. I usually run the factory +2 extensions on my Glock 26 mags. I started doing that before I bought my first G19, so maybe I should reexamine.

Having said all of that, the other micro nines on the market offer a lot over the G43...

Sent from my moto e5 cruise using Tapatalk

I just bought another 43...I had gone away from it shortly after they were first offered and carried it for a year..the trigger was horrible.

I tried the 43X and had the Shield Arms 15 round mags (which are excellent BTW) but it was so close overall to my 19 that I sold it.

This new 43 has a much better (subjective) trigger and I can carry it in an ankle rig or as a BUG with the 6 round flush fit factory mag. In this capacity it will replace my J frames with an additional 2 rounds and a flat magazine reload if I want.

I can carry it with the Shield Arms + 2 baseplates with two additional reloads in the same configuration which is how I carry it in plainclothes assignments.

I just like the compact size and weight as well as different mag configurations. Also, hopefully Shield Arms will be releasing their much anticipated Glock 43 mag...

I try as much as I can to pick the right EDC which is largely dependent on the environment and what I am going to be doing. As much as I enjoy J frames, and as well as I can shoot and reload them, these days especially I like the option of more rounds for multiple threats if necessary biut still in a compact size.

I live in downtown Saint Paul and driving through Minneapolis these days I would probably feel better with my AR pistol.....

willie
09-07-2021, 06:57 PM
I can't hit the side of a barn with a 43 because my extra large hands swallow it. Therefore the 43X has caught my eye. When comparing the 43 to a 26 or 19, weight enters the equation, especially if the 19 carries 16 rounds.

JPedersen
09-07-2021, 07:14 PM

I only have a little 48 experience, but have experience with a number of 43X pistols. Zero reliability issues with any of them. I find, compared to a 26, the longer grip of the 43X makes it easier to draw, easier to hang onto, and easier to drop the magazine than a 26. The thinner slide is easier for me to conceal than a 26.

If you look at the Glock pistols on the shelves at gun stores, the 19 and 43X are clearly two of the most popular models, and it is hard to find a 26.

The 43 probably made sense when the regular Shield was the competition, but in a world of the 365 and Shield Plus, the 43 seems large for its capacity, and hard to shoot.

GJM took the words right out of my mouth! I see very little advantage to the 26 over the 19 frankly …

I have had 3 x p365’s and they were all great. Nothing bad to say except first 2 were standard and no availability of a SCD of sorts sent me back to the 43x when a small gun was needed. I experimented with the manual safety p365 but could not get a hang of TVs safety on a CCW setting as it was small … so back to 43x W/ SCD for npe small gun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Paul D
09-07-2021, 07:34 PM
I have both G26 with a H507k and an iron sighted G43. Carrying both in an Enigma under my scrubs with the scrub top tucked in, the G43 wins out in concealability and mental comfort. Even the 43X feels like it is going to show through that polyester fabric. I sometimes have to go into a NPE, so concealment is paramount. I definitely don't shoot it as well as the G26. With 7 shots in the gun, I practice only immediate incapacitation drills without reloads. Oh yeah, it's a pain to do a long practice session with that gun.

Clusterfrack
09-07-2021, 07:40 PM
GJM took the words right out of my mouth! I see very little advantage to the 26 over the 19 frankly …

The 19 is easy to conceal, right? But I find the significantly shorter grip of the 26 makes it concealable under a trim t-shirt that would print for me with a 19. The 26 feels a lot more like a 43 to me than a 19.

HeavyDuty
09-07-2021, 07:43 PM
I carried a G34 for an EP gun and used it off the clock too. IWB it really is just as easy to hide as well as most anything else and I don't think most realize until shown how close it is in size to a 1911. People used to think it was nuts until I put the two side by side, and the epiphany happened. Then when I explained the weight and capacity advantages, I did not seem quite as much like a knuckle dragger.

https://i.imgur.com/ZHPZDnd.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/joHpIU9.jpg?1

First, I agree - I really don’t think my 41 carries much harder than a 1911, and the same for my 34.

Second, holy crap - can you palm a basketball? On first glance I thought that was one of the little Browning .380 1911 pattern guns.

JPedersen
09-07-2021, 07:44 PM
The 19 is easy to conceal, right? But I find the significantly shorter grip of the 26 makes it concealable under a trim t-shirt that would print for me with a 19. The 26 feels a lot more like a 43 to me than a 19.

Fair point !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TheNewbie
09-07-2021, 07:51 PM
I think if I had to face the end of the world and could only have two pistols, I would pick two Glock 26s (two is one and all that). They do carry well and offer a lot of advantages. A G26 was easy to carry OWB.

In the 43 size range, I had rather see a Glock 42x. Though I don’t know why, the two examples of Glock 42s I had both exhibited reliability issues.

Can you still get Gen 3 or Gen 4 blue label Glocks? I have two Gen 1-4 SCDs and no Glocks.

davisj
09-07-2021, 07:51 PM
Infidel!!!

Infidel!!!…with man-sized hands…guilty! 😂

Blades
09-07-2021, 08:20 PM
*yes, I get it, some people can carry a Glock 34 XL Nuclear ZRT Roland Tactical Warfighter when wearing a banana hammock (or claim to, I have my doubts having been to a P-F.com event before and seeing what people consider effective concealment). Most people can't.

I need a P-F.com event, or TGS to evaluate my concealment because somedays I feel like everyone knows I'm carrying; other days I think I could carry a "Glock 34 XL Nuclear ZRT Roland Tactical Warfighter".

Clusterfrack
09-07-2021, 08:24 PM
I need a P-F.com event, or TGS to evaluate my concealment because somedays I feel like everyone knows I'm carrying; other days I think I could carry a "Glock 34 XL Nuclear ZRT Roland Tactical Warfighter".

CCW Imposter Syndrome?

Glenn E. Meyer, maybe you can write a paper on this?

Glenn E. Meyer
09-07-2021, 09:11 PM
Haha! I prefer to write on the Open Carry Phallic Display Disorder or OCPDD. See it in the next version of the DSM (the Derp Shooting Manual).

To the issue at hand, my take. I've had a 26, 19, and 17. For a bit, I did an IWB of the 19. The 17 was a house gun and an IDPA gun. I found the 26 was easy to shoot and took an Insights class with it and as far as I could tell shot it as well as the other folks in the class with 19 sized guns. The shorter grip doesn't bother me and is easier to conceal, IMHO. Of course, I am not a super duper shooter and my performance level may not pick up the differences.

I did rent a 43 and did a 100 rounds with it. I found it squirmy in my hands. I suppose practice would break that but I didn't see the need to buy one.

Now when I moved to a 10 round state, which is expensive - moving costs, the 19 went to sale. I kept my 10 round 19 mags (I bought a slew of them very cheap with the ban was lifted for IDPA competition) and they are the mag of choice for my Ruger PCC. The 17 is still my IDPA and USPSA gun (when I don't shoot my 1911). Since the USPSA folks here all shoot super duper guns with the Hubble telescope on them, I just have a nice time and let them chase milliseconds.

Thus, the 26 and an extra mag is EDC. Now a variant, been having a touch of a bad back. I bought a 42 for pocket carry and have OWB it in a JM Custom Kydex Road Dog with a couple of extra mags in a Blade Tech. It goes against my paradigm of having a more than one opponent gun but that's life. I've shot it enough that while it's a touch squirmy, I can manage it. I'll go back to the 26 when the back goes back.

I really didn't like carrying the 42 in my pocket thus when dress requires or getting the garbage can, I carry a SW432 - the 32 HR mag that isn't produced anymore.

As far as I know, no one has done a study on non gun folks detecting concealed carry guns. Since most folks are clueless about most things, I'd bet the rate of discover is low. I wonder how our group thinks they detect CCW. I think about watching folks. I do see some 'tac' vests but does that mean it? Floppy shirts and t-shirts are common for just regular folks. What do you all think?

The one guy I clearly thought was carrying was an old fat guy (I should talk) with a black tight t-shirt with GLOCK on it and a Sneaky Pete giant sized holster (I assume).

So I'm in the 26, 42, 432 EDC club. I have a 642 but it doesn't go out much. Nor does my NAA 22S mini (which I bought for grins - the just because gun).

I see Internet chatter on how OC in TX is so wonderful and constitutional carry is wonderful. However, some of my TX friends are worrying if they will bring about total ban signs of any gun in a business. We will see.

PS, saw my internist for wellness check, he is a major gun guy with foreign adventure creds and works teaching combat meds for people who go to bad places. He is a 43 pocket fan if he has to pocket carry. After poking me, he brought up a whole bunch of videos from his adventures with big flashes and tracers and booms on his pc, besides my records. Nice chat. My ophthalmologist had a tiny sheriffs badge on his label and I asked about it. Reserve deputy and shows me his G23. I said to both I didn't carry into their offices and they both said, Don't worry about it. Go ahead. So WNY is not like NYC.

One bummer, my wife had a major injury and I have to take care of her, thus, I'm out of the match business for a month or two. Accident and people rushed to help her. Real angels and sweethearts, so much for cold NY'ers. The EMTs were great also. Very carrying. She will be OK but it was scary for a bit. Luckily the hospital was not jammed up with Covid denying idiots.

Wise_A
09-07-2021, 09:28 PM
Right now I have a Gen 3 G26. I'm fairly thin, and what I want to wear is a t-shirt and jeans. The 26 is a little bit too thick for that, I want to migrate over to a direct-milled carry optic, and I'd like to have a PML. I'm limited to 10 rounds anyway. So I'm looking at:

Waiting to see if the G48 w/ rail gets released in the US market
Getting a G48 MOS, then a G48 standard slide, and having it direct-milled
Sig P365 and direct-milling
Sucking it up, and finding a better way to conceal a Gen5 G26 with a milled slide

Honestly, aside from the thickness, there's nothing I really don't like about the G26. Shoots fine for me, maybe even a little more controllable than a full-size. I think the wisest, most-prudent course of action is to buy a G48 and a 365 and try them both on. You may note that this is also the option that gets me two new guns.

One of our captains, I know, carries a G42 or G43 as her uniform gun. I mean, I guess it kinda makes sense for sitting all day and it's basically a badge of office. But I was chuckling to myself one afternoon when I dispatched her to back up a patrol deputy at an open-door burg alarm (we were slammed, it was her or nobody) and wondering if she had a spare magazine or two someplace. I mean, we're fairly low-crime, but we're not no-crime, and we have our share of serious assholes. Then I glanced up at the hallway cams and caught her coming out of the shotgun room with an 870, reversed myself, and wrote a personal memo not to fuck with her.

GJM
09-07-2021, 09:41 PM
Right now I have a Gen 3 G26. I'm fairly thin, and what I want to wear is a t-shirt and jeans. The 26 is a little bit too thick for that, I want to migrate over to a direct-milled carry optic, and I'd like to have a PML. I'm limited to 10 rounds anyway. So I'm looking at:

Waiting to see if the G48 w/ rail gets released in the US market
Getting a G48 MOS, then a G48 standard slide, and having it direct-milled
Sig P365 and direct-milling
Sucking it up, and finding a better way to conceal a Gen5 G26 with a milled slide

Honestly, aside from the thickness, there's nothing I really don't like about the G26. Shoots fine for me, maybe even a little more controllable than a full-size. I think the wisest, most-prudent course of action is to buy a G48 and a 365 and try them both on. You may note that this is also the option that gets me two new guns.

One of our captains, I know, carries a G42 or G43 as her uniform gun. I mean, I guess it kinda makes sense for sitting all day and it's basically a badge of office. But I was chuckling to myself one afternoon when I dispatched her to back up a patrol deputy at an open-door burg alarm (we were slammed, it was her or nobody) and wondering if she had a spare magazine or two someplace. I mean, we're fairly low-crime, but we're not no-crime, and we have our share of serious assholes. Then I glanced up at the hallway cams and caught her coming out of the shotgun room with an 870, reversed myself, and wrote a personal memo not to fuck with her.

Please elaborate on your thought process on direct milling. The Glock MOS 43X/48 are direct milled for a RMSc, and the 365/365X are direct milled for the RMSc and 407k/507k. The MOS needs a plate for the 507k but can also be modified to use a 507k without a plate.

HeavyDuty
09-07-2021, 09:56 PM
Please elaborate on your thought process on direct milling. The Glock MOS 43X/48 are direct milled for a RMSc, and the 365/365X are direct milled for the RMSc and 407k/507k. The MOS needs a plate for the 507k but can also be modified to use a 507k without a plate.

I’m not Wise_A, but from my perspective none of the current crop of optics that use the RMSc footprint are acceptable *to me* for a serious pistol. I have a 26.5 at Battlewerx right now being direct milled for a RMRcc, and a 43 will follow that before much longer.

What we need is an Aimpoint or Trijicon RDS made to the RMSc format. I suspect we will get there eventually.

M2CattleCo
09-07-2021, 10:09 PM
Capacity of a G26, size of a G19 reliability of a G43. Sort of the worst of all worlds IMO.

That’s what I finally concluded about the 48. Almost all the cons of a 19, but none of the goodness.

I have had better reliability out of the 43 than 26, but I have some more full boogie 9mm on the way to shake out the 26 I have now. If it proves itself to me, it will replace my 43 as I don’t see any meaningful difference in carrying between the two.

Wise_A
09-07-2021, 10:11 PM
I'm thinking hard about an RMR or an RMRcc. I've not so much as seen an RMS in person (apparently the glass is supposed to be real nice?) so I may have to scam Bezos for a demo or something. I really don't want to mess around with plates (I have a G34 MOS). It would not bother me to have to bin a slide. The G26 served me pretty well for 15 years. If I factor in everything I have into it (holsters, upgrades, wear parts, magazines), that's something like $45-$50 a year, so investing a little up-front for things like slide work doesn't bother me. Neither does replacing a slide down the road.

I am not a Holosun fan. Sample size of one, but mine was just...disappointing? I mean, there was nothing functionally wrong with it. But the lens was glued in (badly), and the glass seemed very distorted at anything but right in the middle. It was on my R8, I might put it on my 1301 to try a shotgun optic. Otherwise I don't know what to do with it. And it was nearly the price of a nicer optic.

Edster
09-07-2021, 10:43 PM
For me, the Glock 43 fills the niche of "least gun to have".

I sometimes am a little perplexed over some folks' disappointment in the Glock 43. When I read the details, though, I usually find they are comparing it to a Glock 26 or a Glock 19.

And they are right. The Glock 43 comes up short in that comparison.

I never tried to replace a Glock 19 with a Glock 43. I replaced a S&W 642 with a Glock 43.

I tried to get good with the J frame but the targets and timer didn't lie. I was significantly better with the 43 with less effort. For sure, the 642 wins in the non-standard carry mode department -- pocket, clipped in gym shorts. On the other hand, I get much better sights, faster reloads, and better ammo selection with the Glock.

I don't even compare it with a Glock 19. If I can carry a 19, I do. The 43 is for when I can't.

As far as similar models from other companies, the "little gun capacity race" doesn't sway me. Glocks are simple. I know how they work. The 43 still carries more rounds than the 5-shot snubby that has filled a similar role for decades.

Doc_Glock
09-08-2021, 08:22 AM
An advantage that the 43X has over a 26, is it comes optics ready from the factory. If you carry a red dot, and want a factory red dot solution, the 26 is a non starter. Hopefully Glock rectifies that with a 26 MOS soon.

That is a good point and is another good reason for the product improved chopped grip G26.

I think I am going to stock up on G5G19MOS pistols as they are so flexible.

Lost River
09-08-2021, 08:25 AM
First, I agree - I really don’t think my 41 carries much harder than a 1911, and the same for my 34.

Second, holy crap - can you palm a basketball? On first glance I thought that was one of the little Browning .380 1911 pattern guns.

Grin..

That is one of the reasons why in spite of trying multiple times, I just can't make the G26/27 work in the standard size, even with the old GAP plates. I cannot shoot them nearly as well as a G19. It would be nice if I could.

That G41 seems like a very cool model and it has tempted me numerous times, but having a decent stable of other .45s I just cannot justify it. But I still want one, especially one of the MOS models for hunting! :cool:

Glenn E. Meyer
09-08-2021, 08:57 AM
I had a G27 for awhile. Snappy recoil and given the round didn't really add anything in 'stopping power', I ditched it. Had a PM9 also and it never ran and I didn't want to fool around with back to the shop, test it blah, blah, so that got ditched also.

HeavyDuty
09-08-2021, 09:07 AM
I had a G27 for awhile. Snappy recoil and given the round didn't really add anything in 'stopping power', I ditched it. Had a PM9 also and it never ran and I didn't want to fool around with back to the shop, test it blah, blah, so that got ditched also.

If you still have interest in .40 like I do, the new 27.5 is easier shooting due to the heavier slide.

Jim Watson
09-08-2021, 09:29 AM
If you say a Glock 26 or whatever is "better" than a G43, tell me if it will fit my pants pocket. Will a P365 or one of the others chasing the 10 shot hideout niche?

I have various serviceable holster guns but find myself with a small one in my pocket most days.

Glenn E. Meyer
09-08-2021, 09:33 AM
I never found the 26 to be comfortable. It would fit in cargo pants but was clunky. Might be a dinosaur on this one but I settled on the 432 for the pocket when circumstances dictate. I don't need to buy more guns nowadays. The current set is functional enough.

ScotchMan
09-08-2021, 01:57 PM
Feels like people are in two camps about the 43, either they are comparing it to a 26 or similar for primary carry, or comparing it to a J-frame for "I can't carry a bigger gun" carry. I am in the latter group. I carry a double stack 9mm 80% of the time. For the other 20%, a G43 is better than a J-frame for shootability purposes (setting aside the argument that the J-frame might actually be better than double-stack 9mms for real situations real civilians get into in real life).

If I could snap my fingers and my G43 became a Shield Plus, I'd probably do it, but I don't have any regrets over the investment in the G43 because I am not that concerned about round capacity for the "better than a J-frame" gun, and I know the G43 works and will continue working. Also, I carry mine in a G48 holster when AIWB, because more barrel length conceals better, gun is far less concealable than a G19 AIWB in a true G43 holster.

And as for the G48, I spent the first decade of my EDC life in a state with a 10 round capacity limit. The most common solutions to this are 1) carry the large handgun with neutered magazines (did this with a PPQ, PX4c for a bit), 2) size up the caliber because "if I can only have 10 shots I want them to be ten .45s" (thank you reason number 2 for my HK45 which I still love, less happy about the stainless slide USPc .45 I sold, biggest gun-selling regret so far), 3) carry a smaller gun than you would to get <=10 rounds organically (did this with a P2000sk, G26, and PPS), or 4) become a 1911 guy (missed this one somehow).

I was smart enough to realize I shoot bigger guns better than small guns, and that there wasn't really any benefit to a larger caliber, so the hunt for a full-size 9mm with standard 10 round magazines was on. And there were none. The P239 was always of interest but never got into one. The G48 would have gotten me very excited back then, because what I wanted was a size-efficient 10 round Glock 19. I don't know if this is the primary market for this gun or not, but it makes a ton of sense to me.

Now that I am free (for the moment), not so much. I shoot it worse than a 19, it holds less than a 19, it doesn't share holsters or magazines with almost anything (which is one of the best things about Glocks), and I agree, it makes no sense as an option for one who has all the choices.

Clusterfrack
09-08-2021, 03:42 PM
If you say a Glock 26 or whatever is "better" than a G43, tell me if it will fit my pants pocket. Will a P365 or one of the others chasing the 10 shot hideout niche?

I have various serviceable holster guns but find myself with a small one in my pocket most days.

26 is a no-go for pocket carry for me. But so is a 43. A LCR or LCP works.

Coyotesfan97
09-08-2021, 04:20 PM
I can replace it with a G26 in almost every instance. For ankle carry I can see the extra weight of the 26 being a no go. But I don't ankle carry.

I have a 26 and a 43. I’ve carried my 26 on my ankle for years. I don’t feel a difference between the two. I carry a 19 magazine for a reload. I can’t do that with my 43.

Shawn Dodson
09-08-2021, 06:10 PM
I have two G43s. In my experience it's the softest shooting 9mm I've ever shot. I also can't miss with the thing. It hits where I want it to.

I pocket carry it in a Vedder Pocket Locker kydex pocket holster. It fits well in the front pocket of Carhartt B357 ripstop cargo shorts. I carry it all day, with a spare mag in a Grizzle pocket spare mag carrier, and I don't even notice its there. I'm very pleased with my G43s.

ViniVidivici
09-08-2021, 07:02 PM
43 works for me as a pocket gun. But so does a 26, in most pants.

The HH6 switched from her 43 to a 19, based on greater capacity and slight shoot ability edge during these.....troubled times.

john c
09-08-2021, 08:17 PM
I arrived at the G43X from the opposite perspective. Because I'm practically limited to 10 rounds off duty, I need a reliable 10 shot G19 sized pistol. The fact that the G43X is thinner and shorter is a bonus.

The driving factor is the very reliable 10 round magazine.

GJM
09-08-2021, 08:26 PM
Reliable ten round OEM magazines are one of the best parts of a 26. The 43X is the smallest Glock that I can get a full firing grip on.

Jaywalker
09-08-2021, 08:59 PM
I agree that it's a chore to pocket-carry the G43, but it can be done - I carry it that way in a Borai holster and support the weight with two-point side clip trucker suspenders. It's not a chore to fire it, given that I use standard pressure (non-+P) ammunition, generally 124 gr Federal HST.

I've written it previously, but the mention of "hand-size" misses the point - it's more "finger length," I think. I suspect people with long fingers have their fingertips not on the grip of a G43, but rather on the base of their thumb instead, which allows the recoiling pistol to squirm a bit. My shorter fingers terminate on the grip and don't squirm at all. I shoot it much better than G19, g26, etc., given the more favorable trigger reach on the 43.

So, no, I haven't given up on the G43.

MGW
09-09-2021, 06:20 AM
In my opinion the 43 is a j frame/get off me gun replacement. The advantages are better sights, easier reloads, easier to shoot. An LCR would be pretty equal as far as sights go. The disadvantages of the 43 are it’s a little more difficult to defend in a FUT than a j frame, more difficult to draw, and more difficult to pocket carry.

I’ve been a big fan of the 43x and 48. I actually like the 43x better than the 48. For me it’s a little more shootable. The sights track better under recoil.

I’m dating again for the first time in almost 30 years so that’s the perspective I’m coming from.

I’ve been having a conversation with myself and a good friend of mine about carry guns. When I need a small gun I need a small gun. If I want to dress up nice I need something that I can drop in a pocket or tuck a nice shirt over. The 43x doesn’t really fit that roll. The 43 comes close but it’s still to heavy to pocket carry in a suit. The 42 is much closer honestly but it’s a little big too really. I’ve been on a lot of dates carrying the 48 and not one female companion has noticed unless I revealed the fact. But that’s with more casual dress. I’ve gone on several dates without a pistol because dress didn’t allow for it.

Long story short. I’m working with a 19 size gun again for every day carry. I’m using a 17 size gun for a match gun. I’m still looking for the ideal small gun to fit the situations outlined above. I’ve been kick around the idea of a j frame or LCR for my little gun again. I think it’ll fit that role if I do a little work with my tailor. Maybe.

ScotchMan
09-09-2021, 09:54 AM
carry in a suit

That's interesting because one of the main uses for my G43 is to carry when I have a tucked-in shirt but am wearing a jacket (suit, or sportcoat/blazer). I normally carry full-size guns AIWB, so something short and thin for 4 o'clock carry is needed, and the 43 has been perfect in my JMC IWB 3 for those situations.

Latka Gravas
09-09-2021, 02:03 PM
I picked up a G43 in 2015 and figured I would carry in retirement, with it retiring my G26. I did just this until the Sig P365 came out. Since then I also added a Springfield Hellcat to my collection. The G43 hasn't been carried in over 3 years. The G43 retired my G26 and the P365/Hellcat retired my G43. I even ended up selling my G26.

M2CattleCo
09-10-2021, 10:11 PM
In light of this thread I shot a 43 and 26 side by side today.

Recoil is not that different between the two to me. The little size of the 43 causes the tip of my trigger finger to drag on the trigger guard, but it’s whatever.

I can shoot 43 one handed better than the 26, but the 26 I can definitely control better with a two handed grip.

I think they’re both in no-mans land as they too bog to be tiny and too little to be big, but I like both. Up

camsdaddy
09-10-2021, 10:24 PM
In light of this thread I shot a 43 and 26 side by side today.

Recoil is not that different between the two to me. The little size of the 43 causes the tip of my trigger finger to drag on the trigger guard, but it’s whatever.

I can shoot 43 one handed better than the 26, but the 26 I can definitely control better with a two handed grip.

I think they’re both in no-mans land as they too bog to be tiny and too little to be big, but I like both. Up

Have you changed your mind about selling the 43? If so what do you plan to replace it with?

Gun Mutt
09-11-2021, 07:10 AM
TL/DR: in my XL hands, the 43 requires far too much work to for me to remain consistently competent with it. I sold it and have never missed it.

I bought a 43 to replace the j-frame as my bellyband pistol as that was my mode of carry under a tucked shirt at my NPE work. (I'd attached a Fricke Zach inside the 'holster' pouch with a Chicago screw; very secure & reassuring to have the trigger protected.) I generally carried a 19 when I was away from work, but I was dutiful about shooting the 43 at every range session...a nearly weekly occurrence in the pre-kid/abundant ammo days and thought it a fine little shooter.

When we briefly lived in NC, it was my edc in a JM AIWB with a V/TD 8rd mag and I felt quite well armed. Work then took us to a fairly shitty part of MI about 30min from Detroit, the 19 became the daily choice once again and I went months without touching the 43. I drove to a range to rent a P30L and needed to bring a personally owned pistol to prove to the staff that if I were suicidal, I wouldn't need to rent their pistol or travel to their range to do the deed, so I'd tossed the 43 in the range bag.

After shooting the P30L (with maybe the longest, heaviest DA I've ever encountered), I got the 43 out and proceeded to shoot by far and away the shittiest group I'd fired in 20+yrs...just a friggin 9rd shotgun pattern. Dismayed, I immediately drew my 19 and fired a tight little 5rd group in the head box, sighed in relief that I hadn't suffered a stroke or something, reloaded and shut down the session.

Sure, shooting is a perishable skill, but I've many times gone long stretches without firing my 1911/G20/revolvers and never saw the kind of performance degradation as I did that day with the 43. A security gig took me to CA for 6mos once and I didn't fire a shot the entire time, though I did dry work, of course. Upon returning home, I accepted a reserve position with a small department and had to shoot their simple qualification course almost immediately. My prep consisted of 250 dry presses the night before the qual and I shot a 282/300 on my warm up run. The RO insisted I use that as my first of 3 runs to save him time and I followed it with 2 runs of 299/300 with a G19 I hadn't fired since driving to CA.

M2CattleCo
09-11-2021, 08:15 AM
Have you changed your mind about selling the 43? If so what do you plan to replace it with?

Nope. The ones I want to sell are just extras.

I still think that the 43 is a better J-frame if you can shoot it and it definitely has a use for me as an AIWB carry when I don’t want to carry.

cornstalker
09-11-2021, 09:14 AM
My opinion.
I still find the 43 useful. It's small enough to meet my NPE ankle carry needs. I can swap uppers and have a standard 43/43x, a 43/43x with RMSc, a 48 length comped upper with an optic on the 43 or 43x frame. I can hide it under a normal-fitting tee shirt, AIWB.

It's a Glock. I trust it. I shoot it better and appreciate the extra firepower over mini-revolvers and it's notably thinner. If I can carry a bigger gun I do. If I need a small one that I am confident will work when I need it to, and not work when it's not supposed to, the 43 has a place in my world. My carry guns have SCD's. I will take that over the few extra rounds offered by some of the newer offerings that I feel have less robust safety features.

For whatever reason, I could not get along with a G5G26. Probably didn't give it enough time, but it didn't seem to fit my needs enough to make the time investment. Maybe I will try again down the road. I won't be going back to Sig again.

Leroy Suggs
09-11-2021, 12:01 PM
[QUOTE=cornstalker;1265294]

It's a Glock. I trust it. I shoot it better and appreciate the extra firepower over mini-revolvers and it's notably thinner. If I can carry a bigger gun I do. If I need a small one that I am confident will work when I need it to, and not work when it's not supposed to, the 43 has a place in my world. My carry guns have SCD's. I will take that over the few extra rounds offered by some of the newer offerings that I feel have less robust safety features.

[/QUOTE

This wins the G43 thread. It mirrows my thoughts on the G43

arcticlightfighter
09-11-2021, 12:35 PM
I still enjoy my J frames for particular applications. However for actual shooting as has been stated the 147 grain HST round is much more pleasant to shoot out of the Glock 43 then the Speer 125 grain plus P out of my J frame revolvers.

Each have their own applications in my experience but as has been stated it is a Glock and it works like it is supposed to when it is supposed to

DiscipulusArmorum
09-11-2021, 12:42 PM
TL/DR: in my XL hands, the 43 requires far too much work to for me to remain consistently competent with it. I sold it and have never missed it.

I bought a 43 to replace the j-frame as my bellyband pistol as that was my mode of carry under a tucked shirt at my NPE work. (I'd attached a Fricke Zach inside the 'holster' pouch with a Chicago screw; very secure & reassuring to have the trigger protected.) I generally carried a 19 when I was away from work, but I was dutiful about shooting the 43 at every range session...a nearly weekly occurrence in the pre-kid/abundant ammo days and thought it a fine little shooter.

When we briefly lived in NC, it was my edc in a JM AIWB with a V/TD 8rd mag and I felt quite well armed. Work then took us to a fairly shitty part of MI about 30min from Detroit, the 19 became the daily choice once again and I went months without touching the 43. I drove to a range to rent a P30L and needed to bring a personally owned pistol to prove to the staff that if I were suicidal, I wouldn't need to rent their pistol or travel to their range to do the deed, so I'd tossed the 43 in the range bag.

After shooting the P30L (with maybe the longest, heaviest DA I've ever encountered), I got the 43 out and proceeded to shoot by far and away the shittiest group I'd fired in 20+yrs...just a friggin 9rd shotgun pattern. Dismayed, I immediately drew my 19 and fired a tight little 5rd group in the head box, sighed in relief that I hadn't suffered a stroke or something, reloaded and shut down the session.

Sure, shooting is a perishable skill, but I've many times gone long stretches without firing my 1911/G20/revolvers and never saw the kind of performance degradation as I did that day with the 43. A security gig took me to CA for 6mos once and I didn't fire a shot the entire time, though I did dry work, of course. Upon returning home, I accepted a reserve position with a small department and had to shoot their simple qualification course almost immediately. My prep consisted of 250 dry presses the night before the qual and I shot a 282/300 on my warm up run. The RO insisted I use that as my first of 3 runs to save him time and I followed it with 2 runs of 299/300 with a G19 I hadn't fired since driving to CA.

How perishable would you consider J-frame skills vs. those needed for the G43? You said you bought the G43 to replace a J-frame, so that seems like a fairer comparison than your G19 performance. Though, your experience certainly does illustrate that it can take more work to maintain the skills needed to shoot the smaller pistols well.

M2CattleCo
09-11-2021, 01:43 PM
I carried a 442-2 for years before I got a G43.

I’m an outlier but I have always been able to shoot J-frames well. I get along just fine with DAO ones.

Back when I still had a 442-2 I could put 5 in 6” at 25 yards with it. I can’t do that all the time with a 43, but I get pretty close with one that I have setup with DeFoor black on black sights.

blues
09-11-2021, 01:52 PM
In its niche, I don't think anything replaces the J frame... Even if I had a pocketable auto, it wouldn't change the equation for me.

DocGKR
09-11-2021, 02:33 PM
For me, the G19 is the answer 90% of the time--I shoot the G19 as well as bigger pistols like the G17 & G34, but it is much easier to conceal AIWB than the larger handguns. In addition, the G19 conceals nearly as well AIWB for me as G26's, but the G19 shoots much better than both G26's and smaller 9mm's, as well as J-frame's. The only time the G19 does not work for me is during pocket and ankle carry--a J-frame is best for me in those situations.

Gun Mutt
09-11-2021, 04:46 PM
How perishable would you consider J-frame skills vs. those needed for the G43?

I don't think I can make the a comparison as I flat out love dry firing snubby DA revolvers. Even my little .22 LCR with its heavy trigger is fun to practice with. Making the front ramp stay steady on Beat 'em up Bob's eye for click after click after click makes me happy. I might go well over a week without carrying a snubbie, but I couldn't tell you the last time I went a whole week without pulling out a snub for at least 20-30 presses.

Jason M
09-11-2021, 06:14 PM
For me, the G19 is the answer 90% of the time--I shoot the G19 as well as bigger pistols like the G17 & G34, but it is much easier to conceal AIWB than the larger handguns. In addition, the G19 conceals nearly as well AIWB for me as G26's, but the G19 shoots much better than both G26's and smaller 9mm's, as well as J-frame's. The only time the G19 does not work for me is during pocket and ankle carry--a J-frame is best for me in those situations.

Doc,

Is this the G19 with the grip mods to accept the G26 mags?

GearFondler
09-11-2021, 07:06 PM
Doc,

Is this the G19 with the grip mods to accept the G26 mags?And if it is, how about some pics, for reasons... Like it's a bad ass solution that deserves more pics. :D

Jason M
09-11-2021, 08:59 PM
And if it is, how about some pics, for reasons... Like it's a bad ass solution that deserves more pics. :D

This the modification to which I referred...

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?23204-A-solution-for-illogical-10-rd-mag-limits

I was just wondering if the combination of the shortened front strap with the finger hook and the standard length back strap on the modded G19 was enabling the OP greater performance than was possible with a G26.

Dorsai
09-11-2021, 09:15 PM
Living in a free state (though it has become less free than it was), my preferred carry gun of late is the G48 with 15rd Shield mags and for my reload, a Shield mag with 5rd extension. If there was a 10 or 12 rd double stack steel magazine available, I think a G43x/48 with the grip shortened to G43 length would be a viable replacement. I have a friend who does security work that requires him to travel, sometimes to states with 10 rd limits. His solution for the moment is a G43 with a G48 slide for more secure appendix carry, and 2rd extensions for the magazines.

If the magazines were available with a template for cutting the frame, I'm positive there would be gunsmiths doing the conversions for those unwilling to cut the frames themselves. Then it would be a viable alternative to the Sig, S&W and Ruger offerings.

DocGKR
09-11-2021, 11:49 PM
A G19 modified to use G26 mags as depicted in the other thread definitely shoots better for me than a G26 if forced to use 10rd magazines; fortunately I am still able to use standard capacity ones for now....

https://pistol-forum.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=20758&d=1507734306

https://pistol-forum.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=20759&d=1507734322

M2CattleCo
09-13-2021, 08:42 AM
I should have known better than to brag on Glock 43 reliability.

Bone stock 2020 43, about 1K rounds on it, 6 round mags, 147gr American Eagle. Had several nose dives with different mags. Gun was locked up, had to rearrange the round through the ejection port to get that magazine freed up.

I’m done with anything smaller than a 19. They. Just. Are. Not. Reliable.

https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-N2knj5b/0/X4/i-N2knj5b-X4.jpg

blues
09-13-2021, 08:55 AM
^^^^

Bon voyage!

Leroy Suggs
09-13-2021, 09:58 AM
M2CattleCo In your case I think that would be best.
You manage to have relaiblity problems with every Glock discussed on P-F.
Very strange.
As blues says Bon voyage.

M2CattleCo
09-13-2021, 10:31 AM
If it was isolated to me as a shooter, I’d write it off to two decades of training and competitive shooting that resulted in me not being able to shoot a semi-auto, but none of these guns get any more reliable in different hands.

I have several Gen5 19s and 17s that have been rock solid aside from parts wear, but the smaller ones just never pan out long term. For reference, this 43 and the 26 that showed up a couple weeks ago have launched about 2300 rounds between 5 shooters in that time. If there’s gonna be a problem they show up here.

ETA: That 43 didn’t start jamming on me, but it replicated when I fired a few mags through it. Not sure how a shooter could induce nosedive FTFeeds.

MGW
09-13-2021, 05:29 PM
If it was isolated to me as a shooter, I’d write it off to two decades of training and competitive shooting that resulted in me not being able to shoot a semi-auto, but none of these guns get any more reliable in different hands.

I have several Gen5 19s and 17s that have been rock solid aside from parts wear, but the smaller ones just never pan out long term. For reference, this 43 and the 26 that showed up a couple weeks ago have launched about 2300 rounds between 5 shooters in that time. If there’s gonna be a problem they show up here.

ETA: That 43 didn’t start jamming on me, but it replicated when I fired a few mags through it. Not sure how a shooter could induce nosedive FTFeeds.

Is it my imagination or does the OAL of that round look a little long?

M2CattleCo
09-13-2021, 07:38 PM
I didn’t measure it but it’s the last several hundred rounds of a 10K round purchase made a couple of years ago when the the American Eagle 147 was still flat point. The other nine thousand and some-odd rounds ran fine in everything they were shot from.

JHC
09-14-2021, 06:24 AM

Agree on all points. Crazy this Summer I've shot the 43, 43X and 26 a fair bit to keep current with the hot weather guns and for hits from 7-25 yards they have ranked 1st G26, close 2nd G43 and distant 3rd 43X. A grip issue is the only thing I can think to explain it. Stubby grips can be locked into the palm for consistency. I think GAP has made that point pretty well.

I'm keeping all three. I certainly wouldn't part with the 43.

M2CattleCo
09-14-2021, 08:50 AM
I’m the same way.

Something about the shape of the hump on the 26 and 43 just works in my hand.

I can do ridiculous things with a 43 at 25 yards.

GJM
09-14-2021, 10:46 AM
I have had good luck with 115 ball and 115 Speer Gold Dot in slim line pistols. The Shield Plus is the only one I use 124 +P in.

WobblyPossum
09-14-2021, 01:55 PM
As HCM has mentioned, the Sig P365 family of weapons has proven reliable with Speer Gold Dot 124gr+P. The guns functioned through some high round count agency testing and continue to function through practice and qualification in the field (I’m unaware of any OIS’ in which the P365 was used). I wouldn’t hesitate to carry a P365 with this ammunition. If it’s your agency required or personally preferred duty/carry load, the little Sigs should work just fine with it.

M2CattleCo
09-14-2021, 02:46 PM
It was brought to my attention that I should check my mags to see if they’re latest and greatest, and they’re not.

There is an 02 body and #2 follower out for the 43. Mine are 01 body and #1 follower. I have two of 02/#2 mags and will try to replicate the nose dives in the next day.

JHC
09-14-2021, 02:55 PM
It was brought to my attention that I should check my mags to see if they’re latest and greatest, and they’re not.

There is an 02 body and #2 follower out for the 43. Mine are 01 body and #1 follower. I have two of 02/#2 mags and will try to replicate the nose dives in the next day.

That's interesting. During my elder son's last deployment this Winter I took my DIL out to get some range time with her G42 which had previously run like a top. It was horrific. In her hands or mine it choked hard every 2-3 rounds. I locked it up and put her through the paces with my 351C .22 mag which she loved and shot well and that was her constant companion til the lad came home and scored her one of their own. In the meantime I got a brand new G42 mag and the little gun was back to running like a top. Makes me give some side eye to the little single stack mags. So far I haven't noticed degredation however. Her mags were old from the year of the original rollout of the G42.

camsdaddy
09-14-2021, 03:12 PM
I wonder if the single stack mags are made of lighter material and less reinforcement. This would increase mag wear

M2CattleCo
09-15-2021, 06:30 PM
I had a pretty good talk with somebody at Glock today and they said to send in all my 01 mags because they have been superceded by the 02 body and #2 follower and a much stiffer spring.
We’ll try again with the couple of 02 mags I have.

TC215
09-15-2021, 07:15 PM
I had a pretty good talk with somebody at Glock today and they said to send in all my 01 mags because they have been superceded by the 02 body and #2 follower and a much stiffer spring.
We’ll try again with the couple of 02 mags I have.

If I remember right, the new magazines came about as part of the FBI testing, as it took several tries for the 43 to make it through successfully.

M2CattleCo
09-15-2021, 08:52 PM
I have two 02 mags and they fed 50 rounds of American Eagle 147 fine. They are tough to load the 6th round in. Definitely stronger than the other mags.

Fed good enough that I loaded them up with some 147 HST and had a FTExtract on the second round of the first mag.

Decided to run some of the American Eagle 147 in the G26.5 and had a FTExtract in it on the first mag.

https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-C3gzQSz/0/X4/i-C3gzQSz-X4.jpg

https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-6ffbMJQ/0/X4/i-6ffbMJQ-X4.jpg

M2CattleCo
09-16-2021, 11:19 AM
Well those mags are not a fix. I shot two 43s with those mags and 124 grain Lawman this morning and had problems.

I think the mag springs are so strong that they’re slowing the slide down and knocking the case that’s being extracted out of the extractor, causing a FTEject and a high angle FTFeed at the same time.

HeavyDuty
09-16-2021, 11:33 AM
Well those mags are not a fix. I shot two 43s with those mags and 124 grain Lawman this morning and had problems.

I think the mag springs are so strong that they’re slowing the slide down and knocking the case that’s being extracted out of the extractor, causing a FTEject and a high angle FTFeed at the same time.

Dude, remind me never to stand next to you in a thunderstorm. You have the worst luck with Glocks.

blues
09-16-2021, 11:45 AM
Dude, remind me never to stand next to you in a thunderstorm. You have the worst luck with Glocks.

We're fixin' to get him a new avatar...

https://cdn.theatlantic.com/thumbor/ngdxE03mE2W9JM0Udtye4fC5N-w=/675x518/filters:format(png)/media/img/posts/2014/05/debbie/original.png

M2CattleCo
09-16-2021, 12:33 PM

I could do like everyone else and say it’s *flawless*, stick it back in the safe, put a Glock sticker on my truck, and live with that Perfection.

lwt16
09-16-2021, 12:45 PM
I had a G26.3 do that. An aftermarket extractor (Lone Wolf IIRC) solved it.

blues
09-16-2021, 12:49 PM
I could do like everyone else and say it’s *flawless*, stick it back in the safe, put a Glock sticker on my truck, and live with that Perfection.

I've reported honestly on any hiccups I've experienced over the years. Many have. It's not either / or.

CDFIII
09-16-2021, 02:48 PM

If it makes you feel better... Both my 48mos and my 43 had feeding and extraction issues and I dumped them both. I tried everything I had in 124, 147 and 115. 115 proved most reliable but both HST in 124 and 147 didn't fare well.

M2CattleCo
09-22-2021, 03:09 PM
New 02 mags and a new recoil spring got my 43 back going. I have no idea how because the new recoil spring feels weaker than the old one and fails the recoil spring test.

The new mags will barely accept 6 rounds and are tough to lock in with the slide forward. The top round hits the ejector so hard it pushes it all the way against the slide.

The Glock armorer that gave me the parts basically shrugged and said it probably won’t run for long but it’s all to spec.

CHNEAL
09-26-2021, 10:42 AM
This one has a little over 600 rounds thru it of which 200 have been 147 HST and its not so much as burped. I run the original and the 02 mags with no issues and if the world ever goes back to stable i will go back to carrying it as my primary running errands gun. I will also say it has the best Glock oem trigger I have ever shot. It is a Austrian made 43x mos slide on a newest release USA frame. It’s one of 3 “ Ill never sell” guns.