PDA

View Full Version : Adjustable sight suggestions for a Series 80 1911

HeavyDuty
09-06-2021, 10:32 AM
I have an Enhanced Government Model 1911 that I home modded many years ago. This was a Series 80 GM that had a flat top rib, like an unserrated version of a Gold Cup. It runs well, but I never got around to having proper adjustable sights installed. It has a staked front (no dovetail) and I replaced the GI style rear with a King’s fixed sight that overhangs the back of the slide - it was the best I could do myself for cheap. My original plan was a buried and melted Bomar, but I never had the spare money.

I’d like to resolve this. What is suggested these days for low profile but large sight picture 1911 sights, the modern day equivalent of the Bomar barn door rear blade? I’m expecting to have a smith do this work. I’d like a front dovetail at the same time.

Lost River
09-06-2021, 10:45 AM
I am a fan of the Harrison rear sight.

If my Baer rear ever needs replaced or I choose to go with a fixed version in the existing dovetail, it will most likely be one by him.

http://www.harrisoncustom.com/Gallery.aspx

Lost River
09-06-2021, 10:52 AM
Like you, one of these days I will do a few upgrades to this old 80S. But it is simply a workhorse gun that gets carried and banged around. This pic was taken this last week in north east Montana around the Charles M Russell Wildlife area as I was on my way back from Glasgow. Yet again I managed to survive carrying an outdated pistol, in a leather holster :eek:

https://i.imgur.com/4M8CDlA.jpg?1

:cool:

M2CattleCo
09-06-2021, 11:15 AM
I would install a Harrison Retro rear in the stock dovetail.

No point in molesting a nice slide with an adjustable sight cut. Because after the adjustable rear falls apart a few times, you’ll realize that the only time you actually adjust the sights is when you replace it because it fell apart.

And now you have a hacked up slide and you end up with one those fugly Harrison space shuttle rears to get rid of the adjustable.

KevH
09-06-2021, 11:38 AM
Why do you want an adjustable sight?

Short of shooting substantially different types of ammo frequently (switching from say factory 230gr FMJ to say 185gr light loads) there isn't a whole lot of reason to use and adjustable sight.

If you do, a buried and protected Bo-Mar (Kensight now) would be the way to go.

awp_101
09-06-2021, 12:04 PM
Dawson has Novak-like adjustables. Check and see if they have one that works with the existing dovetail, otherwise any Harrison is a solid choice.

Jim Watson
09-06-2021, 12:22 PM
While I have not worn out or damaged an adjustable sight, I don't feel compelled to add them, either.
I have twiddled them as I changed load preferences, but I don't shoot PPC any more or Bullseye where they get run up and down every day, either.

I HAVE worn out a fixed sight! My pet Colt 1991A1 9mm IDPA ESP had the same King's National Match fixed rear as the OP. After some years of regular use, it simply broke off, right behind the dovetail, in the middle of a match. A considerate shooter loaned me his spare gun to finish with. King's is long out of business, so I bought a Novak Competition sight which still fits the GI dovetail and hangs over the rear of the slide for that "barn door" sight picture. Fortunately it is near enough the same height as the old King's that I did not have to change the front sight to keep elevation the same.

My recommendation to the OP is to keep what he has. A neat adjustable installation, the "buried Nomar" and a cross dovetail front sight will cost hundreds of bucks in parts and installation.

Frank500
09-06-2021, 12:34 PM
Harrison parts are fantastic.
Glad that Mackey made it, probably needs therapy from carrying that old thing.

45dotACP
09-06-2021, 02:01 PM
I liked the 10-8 NM rear sight personally. Only problem is it's not very wide.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

HeavyDuty
09-06-2021, 03:20 PM

Short of shooting substantially different types of ammo frequently (switching from say factory 230gr FMJ to say 185gr light loads) there isn't a whole lot of reason to use and adjustable sight.

Exactly for that reason. The vast majority of my handguns have fixed sights, but with this 1911. I’m likely to be switching back and forth between ball and light target loads.

gato naranja
09-06-2021, 03:52 PM
Exactly for that reason. The vast majority of my handguns have fixed sights, but with this 1911. I’m likely to be switching back and forth between ball and light target loads.

A couple years ago I was thinking about shooting in a local league, so got a 9mm RO that came with the adjustable LPA/Bo-Mar type rear (which I believe is a Springfield-marked Kensight).

As a carry pistol, it would suck because the corners of that rear blade is no respecter of anything that it encroached on... and it does encroach. As a fun range/plinking pistol - or maybe even a small game gun - that can be dialed-in for different loads, that sight is great.

HeavyDuty
09-06-2021, 03:54 PM
Dawson has Novak-like adjustables. Check and see if they have one that works with the existing dovetail, otherwise any Harrison is a solid choice.

Having it cut for a Novak makes sense - it’s so common. I also see Dawson has Bomar and LPA (whatever that it) cut rears. I’ve had good luck with Dawson.

This is what I’m up against:

HeavyDuty
09-06-2021, 03:59 PM
A couple years ago I was thinking about shooting in a local league, so got a 9mm RO that came with the adjustable LPA/Bo-Mar type rear (which I believe is a Springfield-marked Kensight).

As a carry pistol, it would suck because the corners of that rear blade is no respecter of anything that it encroached on... and it does encroach. As a fun range/plinking pistol - or maybe even a small game gun - that can be dialed-in for different loads, that sight is great.

This will not be a carry pistol. I moved on from 1911s decades ago.

That is exactly what I am trying to do. I’ll look around for a smith who can do front and rear cuts. Suggestions welcomed…

awp_101
09-06-2021, 04:24 PM
I like this one that's on my TRP: https://dawsonprecision.com/024-022/

I’ll look around for a smith who can do front and rear cuts. Suggestions welcomed…

As pistolwrench says "cheap, fast, good; pick any two" :D

KevH
09-06-2021, 06:05 PM

Done right this is a non-issue. The blade of the sight can easily be de-horned and if they're sunken and protected they're low enough in the slide.

Some people cutting the slide for sights will be fearful doing proper sunken and protected sights on a Series 80 slide.

L-2
09-06-2021, 09:29 PM
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1005951316?pid=589910
or
https://shopruger.com/SR1911-Novak-Adjustable-Rear-Sight/productinfo/12984/

I used two of these Novak adjustable rear sights on a Ruger 4.25" .45ACP 1911 when I had that gun.
The main adjustment screw did break on the first one, sending all the parts flying while shooting at a range. Some parts were never found.

I bought another one of those adjustable Novak rear sights, which was fine until I sold that 1911.
I don't know if that rear sight will fit into the OP's existing rear sight dovetail or not.

Lost River
09-06-2021, 09:31 PM
Harrison parts are fantastic.
Glad that Mackey made it, probably needs therapy from carrying that old thing.

I had my G21 converted to 10mm with bear loads in a HPG bag with me just incase I decided to hike in an area with a heavy Griz pop, but the old Colt in my classic 50th Anniversary, single strap SS, was the primary, along with the half worn out old J Frame in my pocket. Spent a day on Fort Peck reservoir, and managed to fight off sea monsters with only a single magazine in my pack.

https://i.imgur.com/Cw4DVLu.jpg?1

Speaking of Sea Monsters... I saw a picture of one that was apparently taken with a bow below the Fort Peck dam on the Missouri river. I have never seen one before. It was a Paddlefish and more than 5 FEET long. Crazy big thing. I guess they fish for them at night. .45s and 10mms seemed appropriate when I looked at that thing. And I am used to sturgeon.

But anyways, looking forward to seeing how this project goes! I love old gun rebuilds, especially old Colts. :cool:

Lost River
09-06-2021, 09:41 PM
Having it cut for a Novak makes sense - it’s so common. I also see Dawson has Bomar and LPA (whatever that it) cut rears. I’ve had good luck with Dawson.

This is what I’m up against:

Call me weird, but I think that is a cool sight.

I'd D&T a set screw in that rear, cut a dovetail up front for a brass bead front sight and call that one good to go!

It looks correct for the age of the gun too.

Maybe have Wayne Novak do a stipple (versus checkering) on the front strap and be done.

Bruce Cartwright
09-06-2021, 09:51 PM
This will not be a carry pistol. I moved on from 1911s decades ago.

That is exactly what I am trying to do. I’ll look around for a smith who can do front and rear cuts. Suggestions welcomed…

Heavy Duty:

Wayne Novak's shop in Parkersburg West Virginia has cut front and rear dovetails for me in the past. They did a FN High Power for me. I just sent the slide in with directions for what I wanted done. I had them leave the front sight extra tall so I could cut it down to match the loads I wanted to zero the gun for. I assume, but have not confirmed that they re still offering the service. I am not sure they offer the service for Bomar Sights (They used to). That said, Novak offers an elevation adjustable rear sight that fits in a standard Novak rear dovetail. In fact the Colt Competition Government Models come standard with that sight. Hopefully that helps.

Bruce

DamonL
09-06-2021, 10:00 PM
You can try these guys for installing sights.

https://clarkcustomguns.com/gunsmithing-service/scopes-scope-bases/

Bruce Cartwright
09-06-2021, 10:01 PM
Call me weird, but I think that is a cool sight.

I'd D&T a set screw in that rear, cut a dovetail up front for a brass bead front sight and call that one good to go!

It looks correct for the age of the gun too.

Maybe have Wayne Novak do a stipple (versus checkering) on the front strap and be done.

Lost River:

As to stippling, I decided to do my own. I am of Scottish descent (meaning I am thrifty:D) and figured I'd save some money doing the work myself. I prefer stippling to checkering because for folks who really carry guns, eventually you bang up/beat up the checkering. I did some research and found a punch and started working on an FN High Power. I later did a Government Model. The results turned out well and I didn't have to spend a bunch of money or send my guns away for an extended period of time. The hardest part was doing the first strike. After that I was pretty easy. One thing I learned was that the size of the stippling indentations can be altered by using a different size hammer.

If you visit with our mutual friend in Salmon this month, I'll show you the work.

Bruce

HeavyDuty
09-07-2021, 05:45 AM
Heavy Duty:

Wayne Novak's shop in Parkersburg West Virginia has cut front and rear dovetails for me in the past. They did a FN High Power for me. I just sent the slide in with directions for what I wanted done. I had them leave the front sight extra tall so I could cut it down to match the loads I wanted to zero the gun for. I assume, but have not confirmed that they re still offering the service. I am not sure they offer the service for Bomar Sights (They used to). That said, Novak offers an elevation adjustable rear sight that fits in a standard Novak rear dovetail. In fact the Colt Competition Government Models come standard with that sight. Hopefully that helps.

Bruce

I just looked, it appears they only mill for their own sights now. I’m not sure what I think about the sight picture they offer for this gun, I really want a big, flat serrated blade. But it’s definitely a possibility.

HeavyDuty
09-07-2021, 05:47 AM
You can try these guys for installing sights.

https://clarkcustomguns.com/gunsmithing-service/scopes-scope-bases/

They are offering a low cut, this is definitely an option. Thank you!

HeavyDuty
09-07-2021, 05:50 AM
From reading, apparently the LPA cut is a little simpler than the Bomar cut - it skips a tapped hole. I also saw hints the LPA mounts lower on a Series 80. I’ll keep researching, at this moment subject to change I’m leaning toward a LPA cut Dawson.

Great info, people - thank you!

HeavyDuty
09-07-2021, 05:54 AM
Just ran across this on EGW’s site - a useful chart. They also go into detail about some of the differences:

https://www.egwguns.com/1911-dovetails

DamonL
09-07-2021, 07:44 AM
I remember now that the cut they make for a Series 80 vs a Series 70 gun is slightly different. I think the Series 80 firing pin safety requires the sight overhang the rear more.

Jim Watson
09-07-2021, 08:16 AM
Wilson makes a no-dovetail adjustable sight, looks like a Bomar but mounts into a "pocket" that they say is simpler to cut than a dovetail. $210 installed. FO front sight is another $80.

Does Dawson install their own sights?
I have seen hints that they would work on guns but they don't show gunsmithing on their www.

JHC
09-07-2021, 08:40 AM

I have Kensight's "Novak" style adjustable rear on two SA Operators now. Reason is that I want the POI just above the front post at 25 yards. One had POI 5-6" high and the other's POI was down behind the tritium dot somewhere. A POI 4-5" below the top of the front post at 25 yards.

https://stores.kensight.com/kensight-das-1911-defense-adjustable-rear-sight-with-serrated-blade-860-639/

HeavyDuty
09-07-2021, 09:46 AM
Wilson makes a no-dovetail adjustable sight, looks like a Bomar but mounts into a "pocket" that they say is simpler to cut than a dovetail. $210 installed. FO front sight is another $80.

Does Dawson install their own sights?
I have seen hints that they would work on guns but they don't show gunsmithing on their www.

That is exactly what I’m looking for! Back in the day I always wanted the old “buried” cut Bomar that was clean like this.

theJanitor
09-07-2021, 10:53 AM
Bomars on S80's can't be set low like on a S70. I'd stick with an adjustable that fits in a novak cut. Don't get me wrong, as two of the very best 1911's I've ever owned were s80 with bomars, they just hang back a bit.

The raised rib on the Enhanced model will make the sight look lower, so what you'll see is the sight moved back a little

Also, If you think that you might want to replace a bomar with a fixed sight, some fixed sights will be incompatible with a "deluxe" bomar cut.

The wilson sight was developed by Ned Christiansen, IIRC

KneeShot
09-07-2021, 10:59 AM
https://shopwilsoncombat.com/Battlesight-Wilson-Combat-Tactical-Adjustable-Battlesight-TAB-Black/productinfo/860/

“Drop-in installation on guns with proper 65° x.495" rear dovetail (Wilson 463/Novak Lo-Mount)”

Not sure if this will work for your application.

I think the design of this adjustable sight looks pretty bombproof w/ out being obtrusive.

HeavyDuty
09-07-2021, 11:24 AM
I do see advantages to a Novak cut for future proofing, and that Wilson and the Dawson are more attractive to me than Novak’s own adjustable because the blade isn’t as busy. (I find K frame adjustable to be almost unshootable.)

I need to think this through.

awp_101
09-07-2021, 12:29 PM
I need to think this through.
Wait, what? This is an unfamiliar concept to me…🤔

Robinson
09-07-2021, 02:21 PM
This company installed a Bomar-style rear sight on a S80 gun for me a few years back. They do nice work, and the sight did not hang way back over the end of the slide.

http://www.amerigunusa.com/

theJanitor
09-07-2021, 02:39 PM
the setback on "Bomars" the Colt Custom Shop installs are the very worst