PDA

View Full Version : DTI Proficiency Test, aka DTI Dance

NickA
03-21-2011, 09:17 PM
Setup: 8x8 target at 8 yds. Gun loaded with 5 rounds (4 live, 1 dummy, position of dummy unknown to shooter). Dummy should not be first or last round. One mag for reload in carrier with at least 2 rounds (drill is 7 shots total).
Start in interview stance. At the command "Start moving" begin moving laterally at random, scanning area (must scan behind you at least once). At second signal, move and draw, hold on target until timer beeps.
At the beep, move laterally and start firing. When stoppage is encountered, reduce it while moving (tap, rack, bang) and continue firing. After last round reload (while moving) and fire 2 more rounds.
*basically if you're not shooting you're moving, and your trigger finger must be in register while moving*
100% hits, no safety violations and proper malfunction and reload procedures to pass. Must move during draw, TRB, and reload; must scan before start signal.
Standard: 22 sec.

This was our final test in the basic class, using steel Rotator targets and shooting against a par time. We also used a retention reload (Farnam has changed to this post-Katrina, to avoid dropping mags in a flooded area and losing them.) The AI's issued verbal challenges that we answered, and we got multiple chances to pass. This may not seem too hard for many here, but it's plenty challenging to new shooters and I think it tests all the basic skills pretty well.
I shot it yesterday for the first time on a timer in 13.69, but I was by myself so I loaded my own mag, used a slidelock reload, and obviously knew when the timer was going to start.

rsa-otc
03-23-2011, 07:53 PM
Nick;

Do I understand that you stop moving while actually firing the weapon and move at all other times?

NickA
03-23-2011, 08:24 PM
Yes, sorry I didn't write that very clearly. The way we ran it in the class was move,draw and if the timer didn't go off in say 5 seconds go to a ready position and resume moving and scanning.

NickDrak
03-24-2011, 01:20 AM
This is very similar to a qualification c.o.f. that I first saw when taking my first formal pistol training course (outside of the police academy) with Henk Iverson in 2004. Jeff Chudwin also uses the same c.o.f. as Iverson for a NEMRT pistol course he teaches locally for northern IL. police agencies. Henk Iverson is a student of Farnham, so I am certain the drill the op posted is what inspired it.

Here's a YouTube video of me shooting it in 14.88 clean: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M_aKiuWkFv8 The fastest I have ever done it is in 12.22 clean. Chudwin regularly does it in under 10.00 seconds clean.

It is conducted as follows:

Shooter starts on the 7 yard line.

Target: 4x6" index card placed vertically on the high/chest area of a humanoid or silhouette target of your choosing.

Total of 10 rounds fired during the course. ALL rounds must hit the 4x6" index card to PASS.

Par time is 18.00 seconds or less to PASS.

Shooter has (1) round loaded in the chamber of their pistol, along with (6) more live rounds and (1) dummy round loaded in their magazine for a total of (7) live rounds loaded in their holstered pistol. *Dummy round cannot be the first or last round in the magazine and the magazine that is seated in the shooters pistol should be loaded by a training parter so the shooter is not aware of where the dummy round is loaded.

On the command to fire (beep of shot timer), the shooter must draw their pistol from the holster while moving laterally along the 7 yard line in either direction (left or right).

Once their pistol is drawn from the holster & on target, the shooter must stop & plant and then fire their pistol at the target until they encounter a stoppage (dummy round).
The shooter must clear the stoppage on the move.

After clearing the stoppage, the shooter will then stop & plant again and fire the rest of their rounds on target until their pistol runs empty.

The shooter must then perform and emergency reload on the move. After reloading, the shooter will then stop & plant and fire (3) more rounds on target after the emergency reload for a total of (10) rounds.

The shooter must move laterally on the 7 yard line while perfroming ALL weapon manipulations OTHER THAN SHOOTING in order to PASS.

The shooter must also perform their malfunction clearance and reload with their trigger finger outside of the trigger guard in order to PASS.

NickA
03-24-2011, 08:11 AM
Clearly I need to work on my descriptions, yours was much more clear and concise:) and this would work much better as just a drill when working by yourself.
One thing that impressed me in our class was how hard a lot of the students worked to pass, making several attempts under mounting pressure and growing fatigue. I'm certainly no great shooter but I passed on my second try (brainfarted on the TRB) after several perfect practice runs. Many others were more new shooters and had to keep plugging away.

NickDrak
03-25-2011, 01:34 AM
During Iverson's and Chudwin's classes they allow each shooter 3 attempts to qualify. Depending on the class size, usually only about 40% pass....if that.

NickA
03-25-2011, 06:01 AM
Yeah, those guys are being a bit tougher. IIRC we got to take maybe 5 or 6 practice runs, then did it for real 2 at a time. Those that didn't pass then shot in groups of 6. Every shooter had an AI observing procedures and a student counting hits. I would guess some of them shot it 6 or 8 times. But again it was a beginner glass, and you could get a white pin (instead of red) for finishing 100% but over time.