PDA

View Full Version : I took my first BJJ class yesterday - what advice would you give a neophyte?

BehindBlueI's
08-31-2021, 05:22 AM
My son and I both took our first class last night and we'll be going back tonight. He has no experience, I have very minimal "combatives" training from the Academy and attended SouthNarc 's ECQC several (5? Maybe?) years ago.

So what should I know? I think I already know why I should be looking to buy a 'rash guard'...

David S.
08-31-2021, 07:07 AM
I'm just a few months in, so take it for what little it's worth.

- Take your time. Focus on learning and implementing BJJ fundamental techniques, base, posture, feeling connection, leverage points, tension and weight shifts, etc. . . not on winning.

- White belt jiu jitsu is the best jiu jitsu. Don't be in a hurry to get beyond it.

- If your training partner has been at it for any amount of time, they know the escape/move you're about to try before you do.

- It's easy (at least for me) to get frustrated and resort muscling my training partner around, instead of calmly working the problem. Strength and speed without good technique is a good way to hurt your self and/or training partner. It's also a good way to gas out and not nearly as effective as your lizard brain would lead you to believe.

- Be heavy.

- Leave some gas in the tank for tomorrow. My brain is at least as tired as my body when I leave the gym.

- I'm currently choosing to emphasize my defensive (escapes) game, and deemphasize on my offensive (submissions, etc) game. Obviously, that will eventually change.

- Be a good sportsman. Good natured ribbing aside, don't brag about beating a better opponent.

- My gym has an online video curriculum. I find it well worth the extra tuition.

- There's a metric shit ton of BJJ content on YT. I'm sure most of it fine. For my personality, goals and where I'm at, I really like the stuff SBG Portland (https://www.youtube.com/user/sbgipdx) puts out. A lot of it is teasers for their online material, which is fine, but there's plenty of gold in there.

https://youtu.be/twHGCoRW3nA

Cheers,
David S

EPF
08-31-2021, 07:13 AM
My advice (mostly applies to older beginners)

1. In order to avoid injury, don’t try to “win” sparring at first. If you could win walking in off the street why pay money and put in the time to learn bjj? This concept is simple but it’s hard for some to understand. It was for me at first.

2. IME older people struggle most with body control and movement on the floor since it’s not something adults do much of. Developing a “grapplers body” as one of my coaches calls it takes time. Focus on the traditional warmup drills and I also recommend stability ball drills (google Jeff Glover) in order to develop the muscles and balance leading to body control.

3. Focus on being “soft” and “relaxed”. It will take time to understand what that means and that can be frustrating, but by making it a focus from the beginning of your journey you can expedite progress and avoid injury.

4. Just try to have fun. It’s difficult to learn at first because when your physically exhausted and just trying to make it through a class it’s hard for the brain to digest techniques. Just have fun and don’t worry so much about learning for a month or two. I often am assigned new older students as a partner by my coach and this idea seems to take some of the stress off.

*disclaimer- I am a 48 year old purple belt and I’ve only been training consistently in the gi for <6 years. There are many others here who have more technical expertise than me. My area of interest is older folks beginning training and how to make it past the difficult initial phase.

BehindBlueI's
08-31-2021, 07:24 AM
4. Just try to have fun.

I had a blast. I don't care about 'winning' and my ego is not wrapped up in this. I think because of my real life experiences or just my personality type I don't have anything to prove to myself or anyone else in this regard.

My flexibility definitely sucks. I'm glad I've been doing all the running, my cardio isn't bad. I'm definitely using muscles I don't use much. My left hand is sore today from gripping. It'd probably be worse if I hadn't been using the CoC grippers P.E. Kelley so generally Karma'd my way.

spelingmastir
08-31-2021, 08:39 AM
- Strive to breathe through your nose. This is not only good for breath control but also for pacing.
- Take notes or at least reflect on what you learned in class and what you learned in sparring.
- Since you are learning with your son, it would be good to review the moves you learned in class with him.

Mitch
08-31-2021, 08:49 AM
Best things you can do are listen to your coach, eat well, get some rest and spending a few minutes every day with a foam roller isn’t a bad idea.

Cheap Shot
08-31-2021, 09:31 AM
Just keep showing up

Be a good training partner

Risto
08-31-2021, 10:57 AM
Just keep showing up

Be a good training partner

This is the way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

spelingmastir
08-31-2021, 12:11 PM
A big one is to take the warm-ups seriously(hoping that your school does them). Whether they are calisthenics, movements down the mat, or a combination, these are good for preventing injury. Any jiu-jitsu movements should be done precisely and with intent; don't just go through the motions. I don't think that anyone is too good for warm-ups.

Mark D
08-31-2021, 12:27 PM
My son and I both took our first class last night...

So what should I know?.

Congrats on getting on the mat. I don't know your age, but I think you're an "adult" so my comments apply to older grapplers.

Give yourself plenty of recovery time between sessions.

Avoid rolling with newbies - they're more likely to spaz out and cause you injuries.

Avoid guys in their late teens and 20's who are hyper competitive or aggressive. Their idea of a "flow roll" is probably different than yours.

Roll with older guys with higher belts. They're more mature, and less likely to be hyper competitive and smash you. They'll tap you, sure, but they'll usually be executing perfect form and not being brutally aggressive (unless you act like a spaz, which seems unlikely).

Avoid rolling with guys significantly larger than you. Even if your form is perfect, sweeping a guy who is 250lbs is more difficult than sweeping a guy who is 165lb. The level of effort required for the larger opponent is correlated to an increased chance of injury.

Understand the Boyd Belts (every 20lbs equal a belt, and every 10 years younger equals a belt) https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=230&v=ImQ8YR4-rVo&feature=emb_title

Good luck. Please keep us posted on your progress.

45dotACP
08-31-2021, 12:51 PM
Awesome! The only advice I can give is keep showing up and bring a sweat towel and plenty of water for open mat.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

Mitch
08-31-2021, 01:27 PM
Oh, and this is really important. When you try to wrist lock someone you immediately agree to prison rules. It’s not really wrong, just know what you’re signing up for.

nwhpfan
08-31-2021, 01:48 PM
I started on June 4th last year and I've been training about 4x a week since I started.

The first day was the hardest. Just walking in the front door, being new, all that stuff.

My now adult son accompanied me and has been training this whole time as well. He was 17 when he started.

For me I prioritized certain things. Like not getting hurt so I tapped early and often and avoided techniques in rolling I wasn't comfortable with. I iced, greased up and took ibuprofen. I committed to going. I marked what classes I was going to attend at the beginning of each week. Even when I didn't want to go I went anyway. I focused on what I knew how to do and could accomplish vs. worrying about promotions. And I've watched a lot of youtube vides on technique to reinforce what I'm learning in class.

Cecil Burch
08-31-2021, 05:04 PM
All the prior advice has been very good.

I will add three things.

1) consistency is your best friend in BJJ. It is fine to only go once a week to train, but make sure that you go every week even at the pace. Don't miss. I always tell people when they start to not worry about how many classes they go to, just go regularly. Nothing retards progress and learning like going 4x one week, then missing two weeks, then going 3X, then missing the next week, etc. Going once a week, but every single week, is going to get you to competency much faster.

2) after class, take a few minutes to review what you did in class in your head. Writing stuff down is awesome for retention, even if you just write it down and walk away. Believe me when I say that few things are more frustrating to an instructor than teaching the same exact point/detail over and over and over and over ad infinitum to the same person. Telling everyone to do some straight armbars from closed guard as part of the warm up, and see the blank look in a BLUE BELT'S eyes makes you want to throw in the towel. Having a blue belt or high stripe white belt who absolutely should know the basic key points, and who just did them two days before, but now acts as if you are speaking Swahili is awful. That is easily avoided if you just do a quick mental overview on the drive home, or when you have 5 minutes the next day.

3) don't worry about technique, be completely concerned with physical MOVEMENT. Techniques are just a catalog of possibilities, but they are powered by being able to move your body correctly and in relation to the other person. Having the ability to hip escape, or technical stand up, or upa, etc. without conscious thought is the key to making the technique work. If you can't remember the key steps in a particular technique, pay attention to how you need to move to execute it correctly. Having that is the key to pulling a specific move off under fighting stress.

Totem Polar
08-31-2021, 05:26 PM
As an old guy beginner as well, I’m digging this thread. Thanks, all.
:cool:

Chance
08-31-2021, 05:47 PM
I will echo the suggestion of taking notes. Minutia is helpful, but even very high level notes can remind you that a thing exists and is possible. Who even knows how much time I've wasted hearing information that went in one ear and out the other....

'Rite in the Rain' is perfect for this.

Bratch
08-31-2021, 07:48 PM
I have searched all over and can’t find it but somewhere I read a list of BJJ etiquette people should know before their first class. Things like trim your nails, no street shoes on the mats and no bare feet in the restrooms. I thought Cecil Burch wrote it but I’ve dug through his archives. Maybe someone else remembers what I’m talking about, I always thought that it should be required reading before your first class and even had some good reminders for the experienced.

BehindBlueI's
08-31-2021, 08:05 PM
Congrats on getting on the mat. I don't know your age, but I think you're an "adult" so my comments apply to older grapplers.

Early 40's.

Cecil Burch
09-01-2021, 11:12 AM
I have searched all over and can’t find it but somewhere I read a list of BJJ etiquette people should know before their first class. Things like trim your nails, no street shoes on the mats and no bare feet in the restrooms. I thought Cecil Burch wrote it but I’ve dug through his archives. Maybe someone else remembers what I’m talking about, I always thought that it should be required reading before your first class and even had some good reminders for the experienced.

I wrote that on TPI back around 2010 or so. Then I later expanded it and put it in a free e-book PDF I send out to anyone who requests one. The e-book needs desperately to be updated (and I will when I can carve out the time to do so) but that info is still valid as is.

Bratch
09-01-2021, 12:42 PM
I wrote that on TPI back around 2010 or so. Then I later expanded it and put it in a free e-book PDF I send out to anyone who requests one. The e-book needs desperately to be updated (and I will when I can carve out the time to do so) but that info is still valid as is.

Well at least I’m not completely crazy, I tried to search the TPI archives but the servers weren’t having it.

BWT
09-01-2021, 03:34 PM
Lots of great advice here.

The only thing I could add is - roll with different folks and various skills. For a long time you’ll be learning from everyone and eventually you’ll have things to share.

It’ll be a blast, and also if there are folks you roll with and figure out they do some undesirable stuff (a few ones exist in every gym but it’s usually stamped out) - don’t be afraid to pass on rolling with someone.

Rely on the Instructors for guidance over students.

You’re not new to learning or people thinking about it. I’d just say for skill development - variety of folks and body types. I rolled with higher belts exclusively for a few months and it did push me and my defense sharpened a lot from what it was. But! My offense didn’t, because I couldn’t experiment with them because they knew what I was going for. Other white belts won’t know that as readily.

Eventually you’ll get higher belts with those things eventually too, but just something to keep in mind.

ETA:

I forgot to add - that’s how I would work out new submissions. Practice with the white belts and partner with them during training too it pushed me to be on top of explaining things and I also could experiment different theories with. That was after 9-12 months though. For that first 9 months it was “Survive against this Purple belt for 30 seconds” - don’t tell him that, but it was a way to push myself when facing a clearly more advanced person in Jiu Jitsu. Or “Don’t get arm barred by (insert name)” - there was one guy who was just arm triangling everybody. I specifically would go in those rolls and know ahead of time - that’s probably what was coming. So, just try to prevent *that*. I think these little tweaks, “wins”, and adjustments help someone stay positive in a sport with a very high attrition rate. Have fun! I hope it’s a good bonding experience with you and your son! I’m jealous and hope to do that some day!

P30
09-01-2021, 03:49 PM
I miss advice for stretching in this thread (searched all pages for "stretch" without a hit).

I already posted some of my favorite stretches (https://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?32526-Reducing-weight-of-duty-gear-and-back-injurues&p=775621&viewfull=1#post775621).

A new favorite stretch (https://youtu.be/_ITSokk8le4?t=60) (from 1:00 to 2:10), very good for the hips and the back :) (the audio is in German, don't know an English version but the video is pretty self-explanatory, you can also activate English subtitles).

k_dub
09-01-2021, 03:49 PM
Congratulations on starting your BJJ journey. I started mine about 5 months ago after Cecil Burch’s class at Tac-Con. Thanks Cecil Burch for convincing me I could do this.

All the advice given in this thread resonates with me. I Started at 50 (will be 51 tomorrow). Be sure to balance your newfound enthusiasm with how your body reacts to movement/stress you might not have experienced before. Sadly, we do not recover like our 20 year old selves.

If your gym offers some kind of striking like Muay Thai, give it a try. I found it has complimented my training so far, even if it gives you a different kind of movement.

dldarrow
09-01-2021, 05:00 PM
All good advice list above!

I'll add:

If someone is trying to submit you, tap early. Like before it begins to hurt. Even if you know the escape or defense, tap.

If you partner is attacking your arm they will have a vested interested in "winning" this engagement.

If you tap, they win. At that point ask them to "rewind the tape" so that you can practice a defense/escape. Now at this point they are no longer invested in "winning" and can take the opportunity to assist you.

Much safer way to learn to defend/escape.

KneeShot
09-02-2021, 04:13 AM
My .02 cents.

I just turned 40. Wrestled in HS. Blue belt. Left leg above the knee amputee since 2015 (injured 2012). 165lbs, 5’6”. Training for 5yrs. First 1.5yrs was very inconsistent. Since then I’ve been as obsessed as a husband, father of three and .mil career will let me be…meaning my goal is 3x a week on the mat. Sometimes it’s more and usually it’s less.
I train now way more than i shoot.

Here’s what I’ve learned.

Roll w/ everyone. Treat them how you want to be treated. It’s a journey and everyone is on one.
Roll w/ the young crazy white belts - protect yourself and stay calm, give up the Tap (early).
Roll w/ the upper belt women/men/teenagers who you can outsize/out strength and focus on technique (lighter person = lighter roll).
Roll w/ 250lb Mongo, and try not to get submitted (that’s a win). Survival Mindset-Work your defense.
Find your doppelgänger training partners and beat the shit out of each other.
Have fun and laugh a lot.
No-gi can give the over gripping hands a rest (I love the Gi, and choking people w/ it!).
Expect injuries - overuse, old scar tissue flare-ups, and new ones. That’s life in the fast lane. Get some athletic tape, and wrestling shoes if your Professor allows it.
Deep tissue massage and a good physical therapist is always a bonus.
Stay off the mat if truly hurt….and come back stronger!
Only drill, or seek out lighter rolls while recovering from an injury - remember all the cool lighter weight partners and upper belts that you created a respectable training relationship with?
Be nice to everyone, keep an open mind, and have fun.
Some days are light, some days are perfect, sometimes you walk into open mat and it’s all killer purple belts, brown belts and white belt Mongo’s.
Stay in the fight.

BehindBlueI's
09-07-2021, 06:05 PM

Cecil sent me a copy, which I immediately read through. I found it well worth the read.

Week 2 and am having a lot of fun being tossed around. It reminds me of a story a friend of mine told me about a squirrel that got in his garage.

People feed squirrels in my neighborhood (city people...) so many aren't really afraid of humans any longer. D was working in his garage and a squirrel came in and sat on the floor looking up at him expectantly. D got a hockey stick and flicked the squirrel out into the driveway. (NOT a wind up and whack, just put the stick against the squirrel and shoved from there) The squirrel went sliding down the drive and as soon as it stopped it immediately ran back and sat in front of D again. D flicked it down the drive again. The squirrel immediately came back. D then realized the squirrel was enjoying the ride. I'm the squirrel. I'm getting flicked around with no control but going back again because it's too much fun to not go back again.

Since I drive a desk at work now, someone jamming their elbow in my neck and getting to feel that suck is putting some fun back into my day. :D

BWT
09-08-2021, 10:43 PM
Cecil sent me a copy, which I immediately read through. I found it well worth the read.

Week 2 and am having a lot of fun being tossed around. It reminds me of a story a friend of mine told me about a squirrel that got in his garage.

People feed squirrels in my neighborhood (city people...) so many aren't really afraid of humans any longer. D was working in his garage and a squirrel came in and sat on the floor looking up at him expectantly. D got a hockey stick and flicked the squirrel out into the driveway. (NOT a wind up and whack, just put the stick against the squirrel and shoved from there) The squirrel went sliding down the drive and as soon as it stopped it immediately ran back and sat in front of D again. D flicked it down the drive again. The squirrel immediately came back. D then realized the squirrel was enjoying the ride. I'm the squirrel. I'm getting flicked around with no control but going back again because it's too much fun to not go back again.

Since I drive a desk at work now, someone jamming their elbow in my neck and getting to feel that suck is putting some fun back into my day. :D

I’m so glad to read this. It really can be a ton of fun. I highly recommend it. Also, you’re going to have some weird mildly nagging “thing” (ETA: injury) going on. But, the juice is worth the squeeze.

I’ll keep it short, but I find you make the closest friends when you go through difficulty together. Jiu Jitsu is constant difficulty and the time and investment others make in training with you, etc. you eventually just can’t help but come to a conclusion that you should be grateful and share what they have with you.

I do miss that. Everyone taking ownership of training / helping each other. Some day again. It’s like the intro theme song to Cheers except everybody’s choking each other.

Totem Polar
09-10-2021, 09:25 PM
Two random new-guy thoughts: one, subscribing to https://www.bjjhq.com/ was useful for me—I just deleted most of the “daily deals” emails, until a long-sleeve rash guard came up, and after a month or two, I had all I need.

Unless someone else here has a better idea.

Also: train according to your strength. Always.

I am here to vouch that pushing too hard in the youthful competition/meathead gym and blowing out your knee will set your training back years.

And, lastly, consistency—as noted by the maestro above—will yield results. The coach at my gym has been pushing a particular guard pass into side control for a couple of weeks, and I’ve been there for 3-4 days of that POI a week. I’ve noticed that I was able to pull it off in live roll multiple times against people who are waaaaay more experienced than me; younger, fitter, etc. This, even considering drilling it the hour immediately before. Some of these guys with several years of experience knew exactly what I was trying to do, and it still worked. Pretty cool. That comes from just showing up a lot, taking notes, and reviewing/repeating.

(Don’t get me wrong: after frustrating the hell out of those guys and riding them like a carnival pony for tens of seconds at a time, everyone of them eventually escaped and choked the shit out of me by the time the 5 min bell rang, but having been squashed in side control a pile of times myself, it was nice to pay it forward against my superiors. Consistency = learning)

High Cross
09-18-2021, 09:06 AM
Train safely and conservatively. Dont try and do too much at once as a beginner especially if older. I wish I had taken that route. Choose your roll partners carefully. I had my ACL completely torn in a beginner takedown class by an over zealous purple belt two months into a three month contract. It was my second class of the night near the end of the claas. If I had been more conservative i would have not been in that 2nd class. Two years later I still have trouble going down stairs. If I had taken another students advice to take it slow and steady I would have not been in that situation.

LittleLebowski
09-18-2021, 09:29 AM
Don’t get staph or MRSA.

Sal Picante
09-19-2021, 04:17 PM
Don’t get staph or MRSA.

This was probably a joke, but, there is some real truth to it...

Most gyms are pretty clean, but sometimes things happen. Here's some things to do/consider doing:

- Make sure you wash your gear. With bleach. You should earn a stripe for laundry.
- Wash your belt. With your gear. With bleach.
- Use Lysol on your training bag/gym bag every session.
- Keep some toenail clippers in your bag. Cheap ones. Keep your toe nails and finger nails clipped.
- Don't be afraid to call people out for not having toe nails/finger nails cut. I'm still recovering from a failed grip break where the dude's pinky nail dug into the palm of my hand by the thumb webbing. I've got IDPA nationals coming up this week and had to take some time off.
- Take a shower as soon as possible after class. Dr Bronner's soap on a loofah is good way to keep some small cuts from being horrible infections.
- If you get a bad skin infection, don't roll. Impetigo, while it won't kill you, is pretty contagious.

Bratch
09-20-2021, 09:58 PM
This was probably a joke, but, there is some real truth to it...

Most gyms are pretty clean, but sometimes things happen. Here's some things to do/consider doing:

- Make sure you wash your gear. With bleach. You should earn a stripe for laundry.
- Wash your belt. With your gear. With bleach.
- Use Lysol on your training bag/gym bag every session.
- Keep some toenail clippers in your bag. Cheap ones. Keep your toe nails and finger nails clipped.
- Don't be afraid to call people out for not having toe nails/finger nails cut. I'm still recovering from a failed grip break where the dude's pinky nail dug into the palm of my hand by the thumb webbing. I've got IDPA nationals coming up this week and had to take some time off.
- Take a shower as soon as possible after class. Dr Bronner's soap on a loofah is good way to keep some small cuts from being horrible infections.
- If you get a bad skin infection, don't roll. Impetigo, while it won't kill you, is pretty contagious.

I’d add don’t feel bad calling people out for walking around the gym or especially going into the restroom barefoot. I’m sure this is awkward as a new guy but as you get more comfortable it’s a good point of emphasis. Usually it’s new guys who don’t know any better.

I think it’s already been mentioned but if you get stuck in a position and it’s going no where just tap and reset, there is no point wasting a round stalled out. Tonight I was rolling with a tough blue belt who wrestled in college. He shot a darce but didn’t quite have it, he worked some pressure and moved around but the choke wasn’t there. We set there for a minute or so him adjusting and me just hanging out, I tapped to move on out of the position that wasn’t progressing and was going to leave me with a sore neck.

Bratch
10-10-2021, 08:38 PM
BehindBlueI's How’s class going?

BehindBlueI's
10-11-2021, 09:40 AM
BehindBlueI's How’s class going?

Good, but can't go for two weeks. Traveling.

BehindBlueI's
11-11-2021, 09:49 PM
I've intentionally partnered up with a very...massive training partner the last two times. There's really nobody there his size, but I'm probably the closest on most nights. He's a great partner, but he's a work out just due to his size. I'm 5'11" and can just barely lock my legs into closed guard when he's stationary and letting me get set up due to his size. It's great feedback for if I got a sweep right, though. Littler guys I can just muscle through bad technique. I'm not muscling this dude.

We're currently doing 3 classes a week, each an hour. One fundamentals class and two white belt classes. We plan to start doing an extra hour of fundamentals soon, and then get into open mat.

Totem Polar
11-11-2021, 10:20 PM
I've intentionally partnered up with a very...massive training partner the last two times. There's really nobody there his size, but I'm probably the closest on most nights. He's a great partner, but he's a work out just due to his size. I'm 5'11" and can just barely lock my legs into closed guard when he's stationary and letting me get set up due to his size. It's great feedback for if I got a sweep right, though. Littler guys I can just muscle through bad technique. I'm not muscling this dude.

We're currently doing 3 classes a week, each an hour. One fundamentals class and two white belt classes. We plan to start doing an extra hour of fundamentals soon, and then get into open mat.

Excellent. Keep at it. Take care of your knees and back, and keep it up.

jmf552
11-12-2021, 08:37 AM
I bet I have you all beat on starting BJJ at a late age. I started six months ago at age 68. I took an intro course in Nogi and now I am doing intermediate classes in Gi. I started Muay Thai at the same gym at the same time. Being retired, my time is my own, so I try to do three days a week BJJ and three days Muay Thai. That turns out to be nine sessions total over six afternoons/evenings. Every morning when I get up, everything hurts! But I am OK with it.

My advice is to really check out all the gyms in your area. The main thing I looked for was just a gut feeling about whether I felt comfortable there and found the vibe motivating. But I also thought about a video on the Gracie YouTube channel about the "Five Cs" of a good BJJ gym.

Cleanliness: My gym really prioritizes that. Class is not over until everything is cleaned and disinfected. Shoes always in the restrooms, but never on the mat.
Curriculum: Do they have a plan for what they teach? Our lesson plans are on a white board in the gym. Each week has a set of techniques repeated at every class that week.
Class structure: Do they have different levels of classes? We have three levels of classes, Intro, Intermediate and Advanced
Cooperation: Do students seem like they are helping each other? Big time. That is emphasized every class.
Coach: Is he qualified? Out head instructor has been doing BJJ and Muay Thai for 24 years and teaching for 18. He is really good.

The gym I found came closest to everything I was looking for happened to be the most expensive and the farthest from my house, unfortunately, but I don't regret it. The place is great. The best advice I've gotten is from the head instructor is, "Just try to learn one thing each class." You will work multiple techniques in a class, but you won't retain them all. Just try to get one thing you can hang onto.

I also tap early and often and I will tell my partner to lighten up if I have to. Our gym is really big on safety. Before rolling or sparring, the instructors will usually say, "Do NOT hurt your partner!!!"

45dotACP
11-12-2021, 08:42 AM

That's probably better for you than you think. I've heard some guys say they won't teach new BJJ guys closed guard until blue belt because a lot of times the newer BJJ practitioner will just clamp down and not do anything. Which in a BJJ match is ok...but in an MMA fight or self defense scenario is less than optimal.

Learning open guard is difficult, so I like playing half guard for the big guys. Like you said, it's hard to wrap up a closed guard, and if you try an armbar or a triangle they can just stack you on your spine. Sounds like your partner is nice and won't do that...but it happens.

If you get a strong underhook or a knee shield, you can get some good offense going, usually in the way of back takes, sweeps, and leg entanglements.

You can also use half guard to dig yourself out of a hole (escaping side control or mount) and the use it to immediately go on the offensive.

BehindBlueI's
11-12-2021, 09:36 AM
Like you said, it's hard to wrap up a closed guard, and if you try an armbar or a triangle they can just stack you on your spine. Sounds like your partner is nice and won't do that...but it happens.

At this point we aren't really rolling, just learning the very basic techniques. Resistance/counter-attacks are pretty minimal in the white belt class.

perlslacker
11-16-2021, 11:40 AM
Tap early. If a purple belt has you in an armbar, and you can't move, but it doesn't hurt, it's because they've chosen not to crank it. Just tap.
If you have a question about the technique you're practicing, ask the coach rather than your training partner. Especially if your partner is a 2 stripe white belt who knows everything. If your training partner asks you a question, defer to your coach.
Make sure your hygiene is on point (clip your nails, wash your gi, shower before class if you have BO).
Don't spend too much time looking up stuff on YouTube. Ask your coach before you ask the Internet. I think more advanced students can bring in YouTube moves but they have a significant knowledge base to build on that you don't have yet.
If you don't have a mouthguard, get one.
Don't hang onto gi grips for dear life. Your fingers will thank you.
Roll light if you're tired instead of sitting out, if you can.
Drinking diluted Gatorade (I make it about 2/3 the "full" concentration) can give you more stamina. I train in the morning, and I have to drink Gatorade during hard rolls or I'm zapped for the rest of the day.
When rolling with an upper belt, it's OK to ask one or two questions, but don't spend the whole round asking them stuff. They want to roll too.
Before rolling, I think it's polite to ask if your training partner has any injuries you should be aware of.

perlslacker
11-17-2021, 03:11 PM
Oh! If your gi, or no-gi gear, has to sit in your gym bag for an extended period of time after training (like if you train at lunch and have to wait until you get home from work to do laundry), do yourself a favor and get a gym bag that breathes.

I used this one: https://meisterelite.com/products/meister-breathable-classic-chain-mesh-duffel-bag

BWT
11-17-2021, 04:53 PM

I like this and that’s the kind of thinking you’ll need. Roll with guys bigger than you (stronger) - it teaches different strengths, smaller than you it teaches how to deal with someone faster, etc. all kinds of thing look at everybody as a tool to learn from. The only thing I’d add is as you get more exposure and keep doing this eventually make sure to roll with white belts to pass on what you’ve been given and try new stuff with as well that you’re ironing out the wrinkles technique wise (say a submission you’re trying or working open guard, etc. etc. I had a guy I could not escape his mount for the life of me. So every time I saw him at the gym - I’d start ask for a roll with him and start in mount to try to escape - he obliged and usually submitted me, but I learned that doggone elbow escape that’s for sure).

Totem Polar
11-17-2021, 08:10 PM
Tap early. If a purple belt has you in an armbar, and you can't move, but it doesn't hurt, it's because they've chosen not to crank it. Just tap.
If you have a question about the technique you're practicing, ask the coach rather than your training partner. Especially if your partner is a 2 stripe white belt who knows everything. If your training partner asks you a question, defer to your coach.
Make sure your hygiene is on point (clip your nails, wash your gi, shower before class if you have BO).
Don't spend too much time looking up stuff on YouTube. Ask your coach before you ask the Internet. I think more advanced students can bring in YouTube moves but they have a significant knowledge base to build on that you don't have yet.
If you don't have a mouthguard, get one.
Don't hang onto gi grips for dear life. Your fingers will thank you.
Roll light if you're tired instead of sitting out, if you can.
Drinking diluted Gatorade (I make it about 2/3 the "full" concentration) can give you more stamina. I train in the morning, and I have to drink Gatorade during hard rolls or I'm zapped for the rest of the day.
When rolling with an upper belt, it's OK to ask one or two questions, but don't spend the whole round asking them stuff. They want to roll too.
Before rolling, I think it's polite to ask if your training partner has any injuries you should be aware of.

I can dig it. Good post!

BehindBlueI's
01-18-2022, 10:01 AM
I did my first open mat last night. Quite the workout and my fingers are still feeling it today.

First roll was a very new guy, roughly my size but 20 years younger. We just started in full guard and went to submit or escape. I submitted him (choke) when he started in my guard and escaped when I started in his.

Second roll was vs a guy who is more experienced than me but still a white belt. We started standing. I outweigh him significantly, but he's got very long arms/legs and is much more flexible than me. He ended up submitting himself by getting caught in my sleeve and wrist-locking himself. I didn't really win, he just lost.

I sat at the next one so as not to puke on my next opponent. Stomach issues (ulcers) combined with heavy cardio left me a bit nauseated for a bit.

Third roll was against a higher belt (I'm actually not sure if he's a purple belt or a blue belt with a very faded belt, it's kind of blue-purple-grey to my eyes) who's probably 10 years younger, not as heavy as me but strength wise probably on par. I had no expectations of winning, just surviving as long as possible. We started on our knees. I came pretty close to escaping his guard but he was too strong and I was too gassed to get out quite fast enough. I knew he would eventually take my back but I made him work for it. He eventually got me flattened out prone and was trying to choke me, but I had my chin tucked and a decent block on the other side of my neck. I eventually tapped because it was inevitable he would be able to work the choke in, as I couldn't think of a way to get any leverage and move.

BehindBlueI's
01-18-2022, 12:49 PM
I eventually tapped because it was inevitable he would be able to work the choke in, as I couldn't think of a way to get any leverage and move.

I should add "that was legal and feasible". Because I did think "go to your pocket, get your knife, go monkey with a screw driver on his thigh."

Duces Tecum
01-18-2022, 01:31 PM
Stomach issues (ulcers) combined with heavy cardio left me a bit nauseated for a bit.

Sidebar: BehindBlueI's Mrs. Tecum had ulcers years ago. She resolved it with what, at the time, was a frontier development: a prescription antibiotic (I forget which, there are so many and it's been so long) and pepto-bismol. I recall that the pepto-bismol was an important part of the treatment. The ulcers returned about a decade later and were given the same welcome. Never came back. It might be something to mention to your doctor. Ulcers can be a bitch.

Good luck,

Duces

45dotACP
01-18-2022, 06:27 PM
Sidebar: BehindBlueI's Mrs. Tecum had ulcers years ago. She resolved it with what, at the time, was a frontier development: a prescription antibiotic (I forget which, there are so many and it's been so long) and pepto-bismol. I recall that the pepto-bismol was an important part of the treatment. The ulcers returned about a decade later and were given the same welcome. Never came back. It might be something to mention to your doctor. Ulcers can be a bitch.

Good luck,

DucesH. Pylori is a bastard. For me, the ulcers are from the stress and the strong coffee and the spicy food. Since starting BJJ only the stress has improved

BehindBlueI's
01-31-2022, 08:32 PM
Second open mat. Draw with the first guy, older than me and shorter, but built like fucking Gimli from Lord of the Rings. He has the gall to tell me afterward "you're strong." Me? Only my grip strength, shit I want to be you when I grow up. Tapped on the second guy because I was afraid I was about to puke on him. He had me in side control but no threat to anything yet, but I was gassed from fighting Gimli from in the first round and my little gut pets were making themselves known.

I will say to other neophytes, open mat is great for learning. Just accept your limits. What I learned is I don't know any attacks from half guard yet. I told Gimli about 5 minutes in "back up is almost here, are you sure you don't want to give up?" ;)

Lester Polfus
01-31-2022, 08:42 PM
I should add "that was legal and feasible". Because I did think "go to your pocket, get your knife, go monkey with a screw driver on his thigh."

Back when I was still training, I had to constantly remind myself there were rules.

Cheap Shot
01-31-2022, 08:42 PM
"I told Gimli about 5 minutes in "back up is almost here, are you sure you don't want to give up?"

I'm totally stealing that!

perlslacker
02-02-2022, 07:27 AM
When someone tells you "you're strong," a lot of the time it's sort of a backhanded compliment, like you gooned something with strength instead of technique.

Somebody just gave me that one after I finished an achilles lock on him. Yeah chief, my whole posterior chain is stronger than your tibialis anterior*. That's how jiu jitsu works.

*Full disclosure: I googled "muscle opposite calf" to find this.

BehindBlueI's
02-02-2022, 07:40 AM
When someone tells you "you're strong," a lot of the time it's sort of a backhanded compliment, like you gooned something with strength instead of technique.

Somebody just gave me that one after I finished an achilles lock on him. Yeah chief, my whole posterior chain is stronger than your tibialis anterior*. That's how jiu jitsu works.

*Full disclosure: I googled "muscle opposite calf" to find this.

Goon strengthing is accurate, but Gimli was being genuine. He's one of the guys I actively seek out because of his personality.

BWT
02-06-2022, 01:53 PM
I maintain there’s no better cardio than fighting another person. Jiu Jitsu will gas you so fast. Open Mat and rolling is where you find out where you really are to be honest.

It’s very good to learn technique but open mat puts you under the microscope and shows you areas to work.

I’m glad this is going so well - you sound like you’re doing great and your mindset is right.

There’s a mantra “position before submission” - one thing I ran into a lot was getting married to an idea of a type of a submission or thinking I was close. Maintaining your dominant position and then just re-attempting and working what submissions are available is really good and an important distinction.

You’ll keep collecting submissions. Eventually they guard one thing - it opens for another go for the other then if they guard that go for the first. You’ll wear them down maintaining position. Also, given your size keeping someone in side control and getting pressure will also wear them out and you have to do nothing really.

Sounds like you’re a fish in water.

P30
02-06-2022, 02:01 PM
Open Mat and rolling
What's the difference? (I'm not a BJJ dude but considering to become one.)

BWT
02-06-2022, 02:06 PM
What's the difference? (I'm not a BJJ dude but considering to become one.)

Open mat is where basically there is no formal class (either it has concluded for that day or it’s just a Saturday for example and there is no class), and you can show up and roll.

Rolling is another word for sparring. So, it might be timed, it might be untimed. Honestly, they go hand in hand. You might roll during classes if there’s a structured drill as a class, but you might just have an instructional period. Often you only roll during open mat though. So, just kind of whatever’s going on.

P30
02-06-2022, 02:11 PM
Ah, OK, thank you! I've already been told in this forum what "rolling" means (searched the post but could not find it anymore). But "open mat" was still new to me.

I know both from other "unarmed combatives" that I learned (but the names were different, also because here we speak German).

PS:
Found it (https://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?51029-BJJ-vs-Muay-thai&p=1302125&viewfull=1#post1302125).

45dotACP
02-06-2022, 05:14 PM
Back when I was still training, I had to constantly remind myself there were rules.I was just rolling with a dude who plays a lot of lapel games and I was thinking to myself "what if we were really fighting and he pulled out this gamer shit" before I realized that some of his lapel gamer shit probably translated fairly well to grabbing my clothes, pulling them around my face or tying up my arm and hockey punching me to a pulp.

As a guy, it's hard to admit sometimes that I'm not as good as I thought I was...especially when I was so new to all of it that I couldn't shake a stick without pointing at someone who is so much better that they can just basically run me over within the confines of the rules.

Most every man thinks he'd be a terror in a street fight. They've seen enough Jason Bourne and John Wick, and they really think it's that easy. For some, it may very well be. After all, the average "street fighter" probably doesn't possess a high degree of capability in unarmed combat and someone with a decent sense of aggression, weight distribution and distance management can easily tear apart the "average" street fighter.

But we don't play a game of averages I suppose. Thinking I could pull off a victory against a high level martial artist in a no holds barred fight is close to lunacy, because a good portion of the guys I train with carry knives, guns, pepper spray and other weapons.

I probably didn't lose because the rules saved him. In fact, the rules likely saved me from a far worse ass whipping.

Lester Polfus
02-06-2022, 05:26 PM
I was just rolling with a dude who plays a lot of lapel games and I was thinking to myself "what if we were really fighting and he pulled out this gamer shit" before I realized that some of his lapel gamer shit probably translated fairly well to grabbing my clothes, pulling them around my face or tying up my arm and hockey punching me to a pulp.

As a guy, it's hard to admit sometimes that I'm not as good as I thought I was...especially when I was so new to all of it that I couldn't shake a stick without pointing at someone who is so much better that they can just basically run me over within the confines of the rules.

Most every man thinks he'd be a terror in a street fight. They've seen enough Jason Bourne and John Wick, and they really think it's that easy. For some, it may very well be. After all, the average "street fighter" probably doesn't possess a high degree of capability in unarmed combat and someone with a decent sense of aggression, weight distribution and distance management can easily tear apart the "average" street fighter.

But we don't play a game of averages I suppose. Thinking I could pull off a victory against a high level martial artist in a no holds barred fight is close to lunacy, because a good portion of the guys I train with carry knives, guns, pepper spray and other weapons.

I probably didn't lose because the rules saved him. In fact, the rules likely saved me from a far worse ass whipping.

I think we may have read my post differently.

I am a fucking train wreck when it comes to grappling and ground fighting. My default response in a fight is to stand rooted in one spot and throw punches. We all know what a GREAT idea that is.

Grappling and ground fighting, much like playing guitar, is an endeavor where after years of disciplined effort, practice, and exasperated instructors I attained an embarrassing level of mediocrity. It is not my forte.

My reference to rules is that when I was practicing with people, I would note opportunities to do stuff that was off limits in practice that I wouldn't hesitate to do in real life.

45dotACP
02-06-2022, 05:39 PM
I think we may have read my post differently.

I am a fucking train wreck when it comes to grappling and ground fighting. My default response in a fight is to stand rooted in one spot and throw punches. We all know what a GREAT idea that is.

Grappling and ground fighting, much like playing guitar, is an endeavor where after years of disciplined effort, practice, and exasperated instructors I attained an embarrassing level of mediocrity. It is not my forte.

My reference to rules is that when I was practicing with people, I would note opportunities to do stuff that was off limits in practice that I wouldn't hesitate to do in real life.

Oh no worries man, I was just making a point about how much I suck, not trying to dig at you or anyone here. And hey, it's probably good to recognize that stuff.

If I'm working for a submission, I don't always notice a wristlock is there unless I try to make myself see it for sure. I bet looking for the opportunity to get hands on a weapon or use a certain technique would be very useful in a real fight.

I was mostly lamenting the fact that I just suck and that I can not justify my suckiness so I might as well try to get better.

If nothing else, BJJ has helped me to deal with the fact that, in the words Liam Neeson: "There is always a bigger fish".

There are a lot of badass dudes out there and I don't stand a chance compared to even a mediocre brown belt. Let alone a black belt.

Quite a few BJJ instructors can basically wreck everyone in their academy and then go to a competition and get wrecked in turn though...so I guess they suck too? Just a little less :D

Smoke
02-06-2022, 05:49 PM
I can't add much to this thread but I can relate some stories from me and my former classmates.

Nails and Jewelry. These never mattered to me in other MA's until BJJ. I've had several people tell me about and show me cuts on the backs of their calves from others students who seemingly trimmed their nails. I once showed an acquaintance some rudimentary basics (the mount position, the Guillotine), he had a lot of jewelry and such on him. I stood up from mount to have the part of a clipped pen pinch and rip near the inner thigh of pants and later, I noticed dried blood on my ear from a cut I got from I assume was a bracelet, the benefit though was that nobody on the bus home messed with me. :confused:

Control. When I started training, my particular gym taught BJJ and other arts, and was in the midst of their own 'Berimbolo fever' aka go through class but wait for rolling so we can do the Cool Move with 100% abandon. I usually don't care what move you try on me but I started to care when doing X move mattered more than drilling the days lesson or when you can't tell I'm not drilling at you at the same speed and intensity. I equate this to going to a beginners shooting class and trying to imitate J. Miculek. There was also a bit of an 'arms race', where player A is not doing well sparring B and decides to a non BJJ move or a move that is more technically advanced to "win". I got injured a fair amount from this and honestly, I'm embarrassed to admit I was relieved to see the folks that did that either wash out or injure themselves and leave.

Roll with everyone and with purpose. My coaches had me roll with the 6 year old tournament stars, spazzes, all genders and a 75 year old man who wanted to learn to protect himself and his husband and I learned and benefitted from it all. This alone I could expand on more. Rolling with a purpose came from Cecil I believe, if I rolled with a total newbie, I've asked them if they had something to work on, but otherwise, I had a goal in mind if they didn't.

P30, depending on the coach, some classes have Positional Rolling/Sparring instead Rolling and Open mat. This is a sparring round that focuses on the day's lesson, ex. Armbar from Guard. The Bottom player is to try and apply the move to Top, who is to counter it. A lot of my classmates liked this stage as preliminary to full out rolling.

Smoke
03-15-2022, 04:18 PM
I’d also like to add something regarding break falls and rolls. #1 If you have previous MA experience great but please, when doing a forward roll just keep it at that and not a one handed forward somersault that takes 1/3 of the mat. #2. Be mindful when doing shrimp/hip escapes and back rolls with others is like being in traffic. I have seen enough people’s heads crash into the forward person’s feet and hips. Same goes with cartwheels. Some of my classmates have had to warn each other stop ‘crashes’ #3 Hip escapes aren’t easy for newbies (I’ve literally seen only one person get the motion in one class) and so are some moves like backward rolls. We all get stared at, we’ve all been there, that’s why there’s 2+ lines of rolling you need time, so keep trying.

#4 I’ve run into spazzes (I’m probably 70% spaz still) and have got dinged a bit with them during rolls. I’ve also warned my training partners who were about to roll with them to watch out. Maybe that’s unfair, I just know when my partners got promoted they shared more and worked with me because I’m not out to ‘kill a blue belt’ for fame and a lot of those spazzes left.

BWT
05-05-2022, 02:01 PM
I wanted to check-in and see how this was going?

More curious than anything else - do you think you’ll keep it or have you seen enough to know it’s not for you?

I find Jiu Jitsu pretty much is a love it or leave it kind of thing pretty quickly. I seem to recall in a long-arm thread you mentioned still working this.

BehindBlueI's
05-05-2022, 02:38 PM
I wanted to check-in and see how this was going?

More curious than anything else - do you think you’ll keep it or have you seen enough to know it’s not for you?

I find Jiu Jitsu pretty much is a love it or leave it kind of thing pretty quickly. I seem to recall in a long-arm thread you mentioned still working this.

I'm still going, generally 3 classes a week. I switched shifts so I'm going more day time classes now, and the other students trend toward much more experienced and physically larger. I'm having a rougher time doing open mat, which is good since I'm forced to improve more. I've also went to my imaginary center line knife a few times and did some taint stabbing, which didn't help me in reality but got the mental/physical rep on board for really real stuff. Right now I'm just looking at it like conditioning. I'll also go again this evening for the white belt class with my son, but have to leave right on time to get home and get ready for work.

What I find a bit frustrating is how tired it leaves me. I am having trouble keeping up with my running schedule and bailed on a planned 5k because I just can't do everything I want to do. Not to overstate it, I'm not banging my head against the wall or anything, but I really like both things and just need to get my endurance up so I can still pursue both.

BWT
05-05-2022, 02:52 PM
I'm still going, generally 3 classes a week. I switched shifts so I'm going more day time classes now, and the other students trend toward much more experienced and physically larger. I'm having a rougher time doing open mat, which is good since I'm forced to improve more. I've also went to my imaginary center line knife a few times and did some taint stabbing, which didn't help me in reality but got the mental/physical rep on board for really real stuff. Right now I'm just looking at it like conditioning. I'll also go again this evening for the white belt class with my son, but have to leave right on time to get home and get ready for work.

What I find a bit frustrating is how tired it leaves me. I am having trouble keeping up with my running schedule and bailed on a planned 5k because I just can't do everything I want to do. Not to overstate it, I'm not banging my head against the wall or anything, but I really like both things and just need to get my endurance up so I can still pursue both.

I’m glad to hear all of this.

As far as energy levels. I will say - man - there simply has never been something that pushed me so hard as Jiu Jitsu comparatively.

I got in great shape. It definitely filled my need for physical activity. I didn’t shoot a lot back when I was doing it. You only have so much time and it really scratched the martial itch for me.

Sounds like you’re doing great!

perlslacker
05-06-2022, 05:47 PM

I found that consuming some fast carbs immediately after class helped me regain energy.

My specific issue was that I'd train early in the AM and be zapped the rest of the day. YMMV.

BehindBlueI's
05-06-2022, 06:03 PM
I found that consuming some fast carbs immediately after class helped me regain energy.

My specific issue was that I'd train early in the AM and be zapped the rest of the day. YMMV.

I think it's just a matter of conditioning. I did open mat yesterday morning and today my chest, back, glutes, and thighs are all still pretty toasty. My forearms are not as sore as when I started. My exercise prior to this was nearly 100% running/walking/hiking stuff with an occasional light weight lifting session. My core got weak, and I'm still building up my upper body from when I atrophied over a few years of dealing with a nerve issue in my back which left me mostly useless as I had to *really* baby anything to do with my spine or I'd lose sensation in my left side, start cramping up badly, have trouble getting muscles to fire on command, and have significant pain. My wife and I walked about 3 miles, and we usually do 4.5-5.5 a day but rain was heavy today and we called it. I can walk with no issues, at least once I get moving, I just can't find the energy to run or lift after an open mat or really intensive training day. I think I need to get a white board and just ink in a schedule, I find seeing it in writing helps me stick to a plan. I'm unlikely to be 'overtraining' at this point as long as I don't go stupid with the weight for back stuff.

I am strongly considering doing the Bataan next year, and if so I'm thinking I'll probably take a 2 month break from BJJ to really focus on endurance hiking again during the run up to that. Otherwise I intend to keep doing 2-3 classes a week as long as I enjoy it and am reasonably able to do so physically.

eaglefrq
05-07-2022, 02:40 PM
I've been thinking about getting into BJJ and like others here, I'm older (54). I do have a neck issue, I have a fusion and plate at C6/C7. Do you think this could be a problem? I've read this thread and a few times I've noticed people talking about sore necks.

WobblyPossum
05-07-2022, 04:38 PM
I've been thinking about getting into BJJ and like others here, I'm older (54). I do have a neck issue, I have a fusion and plate at C6/C7. Do you think this could be a problem? I've read this thread and a few times I've noticed people talking about sore necks.

I’ve found that if I tweak something in class, 9 times out of 10, it’s my neck. So many situations involve some kind of strain on your neck, whether it’s being choked or defending against an arm bar. I’d probably run it by a doctor before starting.

Cory
05-08-2022, 08:34 AM
I’ve found that if I tweak something in class, 9 times out of 10, it’s my neck. So many situations involve some kind of strain on your neck, whether it’s being choked or defending against an arm bar. I’d probably run it by a doctor before starting.

I'm nobody... and my grapple game is less than an active white belt. So grain of salt.

Having a doctor take a look at you is never a bad idea. However, in my experience a doctor who only knows of wrestling or jiu jitsu from TV is never going to outright approve that activity with regard to injury. There could be exceptions but my experience doesn't bare that out.

At 29 I messed up my shoulder with a grade 2 AC seperation that severed the ligiment there and bruised my collar bone and shoulder blade. I saw doctors, physio therapist and the like. I was told I would never lift again, and starting BJJ is just plain out of the question. "Those people are crazy" is what the PT doc told me. At 29 years old I was essentially encouraged to be inactive and give up by doctors who werent interested. Because they didn't live the type of active lifestyle that folks like us do. I had to find my own way forward with the help of the internet and finding my own information.

I think that doctors are often so injury and risk adverse that they are unlikely to approve of much past a general "exercise is good" when it gets down to it. They never seem willing to approve of any risk in my experience. Perhaps your doctor is better than the ones i've dealt with, and is an exception like some of the excellent ones on the forum. Doc_Glock comes to mind specifically as being an active and awesome MD. I would definitely have them explain the ranges of motion that are likely to cause problems, but dont expect approval.

WobblyPossum
05-08-2022, 08:51 AM
I'm nobody... and my grapple game is less than an active white belt. So grain of salt.

Having a doctor take a look at you is never a bad idea. However, in my experience a doctor who only knows of wrestling or jiu jitsu from TV is never going to outright approve that activity with regard to injury. There could be exceptions but my experience doesn't bare that out.

At 29 I messed up my shoulder with a grade 2 AC seperation that severed the ligiment there and bruised my collar bone and shoulder blade. I saw doctors, physio therapist and the like. I was told I would never lift again, and starting BJJ is just plain out of the question. "Those people are crazy" is what the PT doc told me. At 29 years old I was essentially encouraged to be inactive and give up by doctors who werent interested. Because they didn't live the type of active lifestyle that folks like us do. I had to find my own way forward with the help of the internet and finding my own information.

I think that doctors are often so injury and risk adverse that they are unlikely to approve of much past a general "exercise is good" when it gets down to it. They never seem willing to approve of any risk in my experience. Perhaps your doctor is better than the ones i've dealt with, and is an exception like some of the excellent ones on the forum. Doc_Glock comes to mind specifically as being an active and awesome MD. I would definitely have them explain the ranges of motion that are likely to cause problems, but dont expect approval.

Sadly, I think your experience is closer to the norm than mine was. When I hurt my knee a few years back I got lucky and the orthopedic surgeon I ended up with happened to also coach wrestling in his free time. He knew the kinds of stress the knee would be under and understood that I’d be going back to training as soon as I was healthy enough to do so. I don’t really expect a doctor to “approve” the activity because they do tend to be risk averse in my experience as well. If you can find a doctor who is at least vaguely familiar with the activity, they can give you an idea of specific risks related to injuries you already have.

BehindBlueI's
05-08-2022, 09:00 AM

It can be. Picking the right gym and right rolling partners can mitigate the risk, but it's a risk. I've remained injury free so far, but I also avoid a few people and I tap early and often when my neck is involved.

Kirk
05-08-2022, 10:28 PM

Yep, this has been my experience as well. When I was training no-gi heavily at an MMA gym, one of the best overall fighters there was a total dickhead and would neck crank people from mount (no-gi). It didn't help that he was 5-10 and 250ish lbs of (legitimately, openly) steroided out muscle. I'm not sure my neck has ever recovered, and this happened a decade ago in my early 20s lol.

My recommendation for noobs, which isn't worth anything because I haven't grappled seriously in several years, is to roll relatively slow at first and to protect your neck. Tap early, tap often, and also avoid being a spazz. If you are training no-gi and are a larger, stronger human, don't just rely on raw athleticism every time you roll.

BehindBlueI's
06-02-2022, 03:45 PM
Roughly 9 months in now and I still really enjoy it. I'm bushed today, did a fundamentals class then some open mat (then came home and did my 5k training day). I rolled with a multi-stripe blue belt and a brown belt, and it was the first time I'd seen this particular brown belt. He had a very unique style that he said he put together from two different instructors and some of his own flavor. The best way I could describe it is he's like a fast growing vine. Every time you move he's wrapping something of his around something of yours in a way that just completely dominates your movement. It was incredibly fun just to watch him shut me down over and over, and I could recognize when he went for a submission and then released it so we could keep rolling.

Funny thing today: I was rolling with a blue belt and grabbed his foot to try and stuff it into half guard. He was really really flexible and I was surprised when his foot bent a way I didn't think was possible. Then he moved his leg and I realized we'd gotten close to another pair on the ground and I was grabbing a foot from the guy on top over there...

Casual Friday
06-04-2022, 08:34 AM
It can be. Picking the right gym and right rolling partners can mitigate the risk, but it's a risk. I've remained injury free so far, but I also avoid a few people and I tap early and often when my neck is involved.

Often when people are new to BJJ they're worried about rolling with brown and black belts but it's the white belts and newly minted blue belts that will hurt you 9 times out of 10. Purple, brown, and black belts will prioritize position over submission and sink in the choke when it's there and gradually increase the pressure until you tap or go to sleep. Over eager white/blue belts will grab your neck like it stole something from them the second it's available and try to remove it. I've went nighty night from rear naked chokes from higher belts because one second you're like "it's not that tight" and the next thing you know you're seeing your dead grandma.

45dotACP
06-04-2022, 11:54 AM
Often when people are new to BJJ they're worried about rolling with brown and black belts but it's the white belts and newly minted blue belts that will hurt you 9 times out of 10. Purple, brown, and black belts will prioritize position over submission and sink in the choke when it's there and gradually increase the pressure until you tap or go to sleep. Over eager white/blue belts will grab your neck like it stole something from them the second it's available and try to remove it. I've went nighty night from rear naked chokes from higher belts because one second you're like "it's not that tight" and the next thing you know you're seeing your dead grandma.People say BJJ is unrealistic because there's no striking...

...but those people never rolled with a spazzasaurus white/blue belt....

I enjoy rolling with the high level guys because they'll decide they want an armlock and even if they tell me that...well the odds are that I'm gonna get armlocked.

They'll ignore the triangle, the guillotine, the knee bar...so in a way they'll let me work. But it ends the way they want it to. I aspire to that skill level.

Meanwhile the purple belts and competing blue belts will be out to slaughter. They won't give any chance to work. It may be competitive, it may not be, but I won't get a concussion.

The white belts give me a chance to hone my technique and clean up some mistakes that I noticed when rolling with other blue belts.

I just need to make sure I don't get a concussion or a bruised testicle when they somehow reveal that they have knees and elbows literally everywhere.

Sent from my SM-A326U using Tapatalk

BehindBlueI's
06-24-2022, 09:40 PM
About 10 months in and got my first injury significant enough to take some time off. Nothing major, just bruising/pulled muscle in lower back. I really thought it was just a 48 hours and ice sort of thing, but it's turned into a bit longer recovery time. I went and in the warm up shrimping immediatly 'noped' and that was that. I'll give it a bit more time.

Making 'old guy' noises when standing up, but once I'm up it's fine. Unless I drop something. Then I'm dicked.:D

holmes168
07-11-2022, 09:27 PM
Did my first BJJ class this evening.

Plus- I’m still as strong as someone 20 years younger than me.
Minus- I’m 20 years older than almost everyone there.

Had a lot of fun and plan on going back

rayrevolver
07-13-2022, 06:08 AM
BJJ in real life:
https://video.foxnews.com/v/6308404623112#sp=show-clips