PDA

View Full Version : Alternatives to the heavy single trigger that came on my AR-15?

Little Creek
08-02-2012, 04:17 PM
Is there a 4.5# single stage drop in trigger group for the AR-15 that you recommend? From what I have read two stage triggers are only for multigun competition. Is that true?

orionz06
08-02-2012, 04:58 PM
What are you unable to do with the AR now with the current trigger? What trigger is in there now?

Jay Cunningham
08-02-2012, 05:16 PM
There are a lot of aftermarket triggers. How much trigger time do you have behind your current AR?

Little Creek
08-02-2012, 06:41 PM
There are a lot of aftermarket triggers. How much trigger time do you have behind your current AR?

I have shot bolt guns for decades. I have just over 1,000 rounds on my first AR-15.

Little Creek
08-02-2012, 06:47 PM
What are you unable to do with the AR now with the current trigger? What trigger is in there now?

I have ben unable to shoot precision groups off a rest. It has the factory trigger. It must weigh 8-10#. Since I started this Thread, I think I figured out how to tighten up my Burris PEPR mount. I can probably shoot smaller groups now. I just wanted to establish the accuracy of this carbine before I put the Prismatic back on it. Snapshots out to 25 yards are no problem with the existing trigger and Prismatic sight.

Jay Cunningham
08-02-2012, 07:13 PM
need moar info

What do you mean by "precision groups"? What kind of barrel is in your AR, and what kind of ammo?

Little Creek
08-03-2012, 01:02 PM
need moar info

What do you mean by "precision groups"? What kind of barrel is in your AR, and what kind of ammo?

I mean benchrest groups at 100 yards.

The barrel is a standard weight 1/8 5R Rifling with a melonite finish and an A2-style flash hider. Standard M&P15 Sport fare. The hand guard has been changed to a 13" TROY/VTAC ALPHA BATTLERAIL. I wanted to free float the barrel and I like this rail configuration.

64 grain Bonded. I also plan on shooting some 62 grain BTHP in the not too distant future.

I have not shot it since I figured out how to tighten the PEPR mount. I have a 4 X 16 hunting scope on it. Once I have tired of accuracy testing, I will go back to the Leupold Prismatic with Magpul BUIS until I decide to buy a proper magnifying variable optic per the recommendations of those with more expierence.

The trigger seems a little heavy to shoot off a bench.

Jay Cunningham
08-03-2012, 01:05 PM
moar info

What do the groups look like?

Kyle Reese
08-03-2012, 02:35 PM
You can do some solid work with a stock USGI trigger. Shoot a 10 shot group at whatever distance you desire your BZO to be and see how you do. How much dry firing are you doing?

Mjolnir
08-04-2012, 07:06 PM
ALG DEFENSE for Single Stage and GEISSELE AUTOMATICS for Double Stage.

Can't go wrong. Look 'em up.

senorlechero
08-04-2012, 11:30 PM
Dropping a match trigger in a carbine without a match barrel isn't going to help your group sizes, just give you a *better feeling* trigger.
You should be able to shoot a group just fine with a GI trigger.

However, if you want a match trigger a Geissele is the way to go.
I have also heard good things about the Timney and Chip McCormic triggers.

NETim
08-05-2012, 08:50 AM
I've been pretty happy with the ALG trigger. It's by no means a "match" trigger, but it's usable and it IS better than the typical GI trigger found in LPK's IMHO. I like the fact that I can service it and it will set off any primer that can be set off with an AR.

http://www.algdefense.com/

Jay Cunningham
08-05-2012, 09:24 AM
I'm still waiting on the group size info. People have wildly different opinions on what constitutes "shooting a good group" with an AR-15.

Failure2Stop
08-05-2012, 01:00 PM
I'm still waiting on the group size info. People have wildly different opinions on what constitutes "shooting a good group" with an AR-15.

Agreed.
OP, what is your expectation/precision requirement?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Little Creek
08-08-2012, 07:01 PM

I have been traveling and have not yet been able to shoot groups with a tight scope mount. I hope to shoot less than 2" @100 yard groups with a scope and a free floated handgard from a bench rest. Is this realistic? I should be able to shoot between now and the weekend.

Jay Cunningham
08-08-2012, 07:28 PM
2" is realistic. But if you shoot 3" at 100 there isn't anything wrong with your AR. And if you group into better than 2" you're doing really well.

Little Creek
08-25-2012, 08:05 PM
2" is realistic. But if you shoot 3" at 100 there isn't anything wrong with your AR. And if you group into better than 2" you're doing really well.

I shot a couple of 5 shot 2" groups at 50 yards today with MBUS. I have been unable to get the P.E.P.R. QD scope mount to work. I think I will just call Burris and ask them for regular bolts to replace the QR and try that. I will go back to the Prismatic and shoot groups with that ASAP.

Joe Mamma
08-26-2012, 10:15 AM
Is there a 4.5# single stage drop in trigger group for the AR-15 that you recommend? From what I have read two stage triggers are only for multigun competition. Is that true?

Two stage triggers are definitely not just for multigun competition. I have noticed a wide range of trigger pull feel in stock GI triggers. Some are great and some are horrible.

If I were going to get an aftermarket trigger, I would get a Geissele SSA. It's a 2 stage trigger. I've shot with it and it's great. Some other triggers start to develop problems after extensive shooting. But that seems to be a non-issue with this one.

http://geissele.com/supersemi-automaticssatrigger.aspx

Joe Mamma

Mjolnir
08-26-2012, 10:40 AM
Look at Geissele Automatics The SSA model will suit you fine.

2.5 lb. first stage
2 lb. second stage

Approved by NSWC for dropping into their carbines. If it's good enough for them to fight with its good enough for me to play and take classes with.

Addedum:

It's not too light and it allows for very good precision shooting; it's perhaps "the best" of ALL the triggers on the market - at least arguably so.

Little Creek
09-24-2012, 09:38 AM
Look at Geissele Automatics The SSA model will suit you fine.

2.5 lb. first stage
2 lb. second stage

Approved by NSWC for dropping into their carbines. If it's good enough for them to fight with its good enough for me to play and take classes with.

Addedum:

It's not too light and it allows for very good precision shooting; it's perhaps "the best" of ALL the triggers on the market - at least arguably so.

Thanks for the recommendation. I hope to buy one of these triggers in the very near future.