PDA

View Full Version : Gamer's guns cycling tune-up

YVK
08-29-2021, 05:37 PM
I have two same model slides that had been lightened and cut for optic in different ways. Shadow 2, if that matters. One of them is about 0.5 oz lighter. I am trying to get an optimal spring set, hammer spring and recoil spring, figured out for both. My intuitive thinking that the lighter slide will need a lighter set of springs.

Any thoughts and experience?

GJM
08-29-2021, 06:05 PM
I have two same model slides that had been lightened and cut for optic in different ways. Shadow 2, if that matters. One of them is about 0.5 oz lighter. I am trying to get an optimal spring set, hammer spring and recoil spring, figured out for both. My intuitive thinking that the lighter slide will need a lighter set of springs.

Any thoughts and experience?

Put the front sight back on the lighter slide and you will be at the same weight and not have to worry.

YVK
08-29-2021, 06:19 PM
Put the front sight back on the lighter slide and you will be at the same weight and not have to worry.

Is Legion's front sight made of tungsten, just like the rest of it? Can I have one?

GJM
08-29-2021, 06:29 PM
Between a brass front sight and heavier screws on your SRO, you will be fine.

YVK
08-29-2021, 07:09 PM
Maybe someone can make a tungsten bushing since I just found I needed one

Clusterfrack
08-29-2021, 07:18 PM
I have a lightened slide because I had mine done before the weight increase.

I use the same hammer (11.5#) and recoil (12#) springs as for my Production guns. I played with a range of recoil springs, and couldn’t tell the difference.

As long as the gun cycles reliably, I’m happy.

Will you install the CGW bushing?

YVK
08-29-2021, 07:30 PM
I played with a range of recoil springs, and couldn’t tell the difference....

Will you install the CGW bushing?

As soon as cheby finds one in his garage.

I don't feel the difference in recoil but I am trying to find a combination that helps keeping the dot flatter. Cause gripping hard is hard. Currently at 13 and 14 lbs on mainsprings and 10 on recoil.

cheby
08-29-2021, 07:49 PM
As soon as cheby finds one in his garage.

I don't feel the difference in recoil but I am trying to find a combination that helps keeping the dot flatter. Cause gripping hard is hard. Currently at 13 and 14 lbs on mainsprings and 10 on recoil.

As soon as my son stops singing his usual heavy metal song I will go to my garage and will find it

YVK
08-29-2021, 07:59 PM
As soon as my son stops singing his usual heavy metal song I will go to my garage and will find it

I'd rather you spend some quality father-son time :D. Remind me, you played in a band or am I making it up?

cheby
08-29-2021, 08:09 PM
I'd rather you spend some quality father-son time :D. Remind me, you played in a band or am I making it up?
Yeah, I used to play some heavy rock shit for a long time. Then I started shooting USPSA ...

Archer1440
08-29-2021, 10:12 PM
Is there any sort of plate you are using to mount your optic? If so, you could run a steel plate on the lighter slide, and an aluminum one on the heavier slide.

Or, you could have someone silver solder a 1/2 ounce brass weight rod into one of the relief pockets inside the slide, or machine a precise plug and install it with green Loctite (which is permanent and designed for that sort of thing). You could also mix tungsten powder with epoxy and partially fill one of the blind relief pockets.

As long as it isn’t a duty or personal protection firearm, that would likely solve the problem.

awp_101
08-30-2021, 07:48 AM
Start running custom 180g all copper bullets in the lighter one.

YVK
08-30-2021, 10:02 AM
Is there any sort of plate you are using to mount your optic? If so, you could run a steel plate on the lighter slide, and an aluminum one on the heavier slide.

Those are done differently, plate vs direct mill.

I am not really looking to equalize the weight. I was interested in public opinion if lighter slide needed lighter springs for optimal cycling etc.

JCN
08-30-2021, 10:51 AM
I am not really looking to equalize the weight. I was interested in public opinion if lighter slide needed lighter springs for optimal cycling etc.

Check my math, but assuming the same ammo: Wouldn't a lighter slide need a heavier spring because the slide velocity would be higher so the kinetic energy would be much higher?

I don't think 1/2 ounce is going to matter at all, but when I shot my 3oz lighter PM slide it was noticeably snappier. Which is why I went to a heavier slide, it was easier to predict and time the recoil impulse to vision.

Archer1440
08-30-2021, 12:33 PM
I have no doubt that an ‘in tune’ shooter might notice a feel difference with 1/2 ounce, but in my experience (same pistols with and without RDS) even 2 ounces makes no difference in terms of function, and at my level (USPSA C, ‘cause I don’t wanna get kilt in da streetz and also I’m too broken to sprint fast these days) it makes no difference as to split times, transitions, etc.

YVK
08-30-2021, 03:07 PM
Check my math, but assuming the same ammo: Wouldn't a lighter slide need a heavier spring because the slide velocity would be higher so the kinetic energy would be much higher?

I don't know. Not sure if it is kinetic energy or momentum that should be used. If it is the momentum, I don't know what's the end product of higher velocity × lower mass is going to be.

Yesterday I combined the lighter slide with my heaviest mainspring. I liked what I saw on the sights and the slide clearly slowed down, evidenced by a rather anemic (but not unreliable) ejection. Unfortunately it degraded trigger quality on that particular gun too much. I am gonna play more with different combinations later.

Archer1440: splits are pretty much the same. I am trying to gain a little bit of extra margin for my predictive shooting.

cheby
08-30-2021, 03:20 PM
I am trying to gain a little bit of extra margin for my predictive shooting.

I was told that is what flashlights are for... No?

BN
08-30-2021, 03:58 PM
There's probably a lot of information here; https://forums.brianenos.com/forum/28-gun-springs/?

You might have to do a search. I haven't followed the spring issue for a while since I decided to just run stock springs in my Glocks. :)

YVK
08-30-2021, 08:09 PM
I was told that is what flashlights are for... No?

I don't have an appendix holster for this gun.