PDA

View Full Version : Very interesting analysis of mass shootings and police versus civilian responses

Al T.
08-01-2012, 06:07 PM
From the article:

Last week I posted a graphic on Facebook claiming the average number of people killed in mass shootings when stopped by police is 18.25, and the average number of people killed in a mass shooting when stopped by civilians is 2.2. I based it on 10 shootings I found listed on some timeline somewhere. I honestly don’t even remember where. I presented the case studies in a blog post on the Silver Circle blog and I did the math myself.

The graphic was met with great enthusiasm and much skepticism. Leave it to Facebook users to demand an audit on a meme. So, I started over, only much more meticulous this time. I compiled and analyzed 93 shootings, noting my methodology, and I am now prepared to present my findings, complete with links to the data. But here’s a spoiler… It’s not that different.

The link is safe, I'm not sure about the web site.

http://dailyanarchist.com/2012/07/31/auditing-shooting-rampage-statistics/

MDS
08-01-2012, 09:15 PM
Math... it works, bitches! :cool:

I was struck by this line from the article:

If you compare the average of people killed in shootings stopped by armed civilians and unarmed civilians you get 1.8 and 2.6, but that’s not nearly as significant as the difference between a proactive civilian, and a cowering civilian who waits for police.

Tamara
08-02-2012, 05:33 AM
This should be a no-brainer: The only thing that stops the spree killer is a gun. The longer it takes the gun to show up, the more time the sicko has to whack-and-stack. The gun that's already there is always going to be faster on the scene than the gun that has to ride there across town in a cop's holster.

Ga Shooter
08-02-2012, 06:03 AM
This should be a no-brainer: The only thing that stops the spree killer is a gun. The longer it takes the gun to show up, the more time the sicko has to whack-and-stack. The gun that's already there is always going to be faster on the scene than the gun that has to ride there across town in a cop's holster.

Extremely well said. I think that is sig line material right there!!

Tamara
08-02-2012, 06:46 AM
Based on the article, the only thing that stopped the spree killer was...something that stopped the spree killer - suicide, intervention by police, intervention by civilians, sometimes armed and sometimes not. I agree it should be a no-brainer, but not for the reasons stated.

1) That doesn't scan well, though.

2) "Suicide" You mean when they put their shotgun down and take a bunch of sleeping pills and vodka? "Intervention by police" When the cops show up and enroll the man in a twelve step program to control violence? ;) Except for a very few isolated cases where the guy has been physically overpowered while reloading or trying to clear a malf, there always seems to be a gun involved somehow, even if it's the killer turning his own on himself...

NETim
08-02-2012, 07:55 AM
I believe front page pics of one of these twerps lying face down in a pool of their own blood caused by shots fired from Gramma Smith's Glock 19 will "de-glorify" the act and will perhaps cause other maladjusted, unsupervised, self-centered little twerps to rethink their path to "fame."

But they keep picking GFZ's to do their dirty work. Gee, I wonder why?

Back to the article... it does seem to support the notion that fighting back in anyway possible is the best option and if the "hero" is armed, the results are better for the innocents.

digiadaamore
08-04-2012, 03:10 PM
critical info here, we know there wasnt body armor in colorado but with all the people saying what can you do against it.

David Hernandez Arroyo Sr. opened fire on a public square from the steps of a courthouse in Tyler, Texas. The shooter was armed with an assault rifle and wearing body armor. Mark Wilson fired back with a handgun, hitting the shooter but not penetrating the armor. Mark drew the shooter’s fire, and ultimately drove him off, but was fatally wounded. Mark was the only death in this incident.

he died, but he died a hero sacrificing himself for who knows how many. Thats what you can do