PDA

View Full Version : The (Theoretical) LSHD Signature Carbine Package

Jay Cunningham
07-31-2012, 10:39 PM
There are a lot of "signature" guns and gear on the market right now from professional competitors and tactical trainers. I get asked frequently enough about my own recommendations for a carbine setup that I figured I'd do a little exercise in laying out what a (purely theoretical) LSHD Carbine Package might look like. My intent was to pick things that were currently available, commercial-off-the-shelf, and that did everything I think an Earth-person carbine needs to do well, while keeping costs down. The final price tag is pretty hefty, but when you consider how much above the simple baseline gun you would get (hence "package") I think it would be a very good value considering that the idea would be to get a price break buying the complete package compared to if you (the consumer) bought everything individually. I do include the breakdown for the bare baseline gun.

Without further ado, the specs for the non-existent "LSHD Carbine Package":

Upper:

$419.00 BCM Standard 14.5" Carbine (LIGHT WEIGHT) Upper Receiver Group *OR* BCM Standard 11.5" Carbine (LIGHT WEIGHT) Upper Receiver Group (NFA)

$149.00 BCM Bolt Carrier Group (MPI) - Auto

$44.95 BCM GUNFIGHTER charging handle (5.56mm/.223) w/ Mod 3 (LARGE) Latch

$65.00 Daniel Defense A1.5 fixed rear sight

$22.95 M4 handguards
________

$700.90

Lower:

$380.00 BCM4 Lower Receiver Group (includes receiver extension, M4 Stock, H Buffer, Magpul MOE Enhanced Trigger Guard, BCM Gunfighter's Grip Mod 0 *OR* 1)

$149.95 Boonie Packer Machined Aluminum Redi-Mag

$28.45 Magpul BAD (Battery Assist Device)
________

$558.40

Accessories:

$400.00 Aimpoint PRO optic

$59.95 TMC 1" LIGHT MOUNT-N-SLOT

$74.10 SF G2X tactical flashlight

$39.95 TM QD Rotation Limited Sling MOUNT-N-SLOT

$35.95 MI#10 Sling Mount - Rear

$34.95 Blue Force Gear Victory 2 point sling

$27.00 (x2) 1.25 Inch HD QD Sling Swivel, Flush Button

$64.95 (x5) NHMTG 5.56 30rd AR15 Magazine with Magpul Follower *OR* NHMTG 5.56 20rd AR15 Magazine

$69.95 spare BCM AR15 Bolt Assembly (MPI)

$8.99 Weapon Shield Gun Oil 4 oz Liquid

$52.99 Otis AR15 / M16 Cleaning System

$8.00 Stainless Steel A2 Sight Tool

$8.00 .223 Broken Shell Extractor

$360.00 1,000 rounds 5.56mm ammunition
________

$1248.78

So the total comes in at right around $2510.00 for the package and $1260.00 for the base gun with no accoutrements. Add $200.00 for the NFA tax stamp *OR* $45.00 for the perm install extended FH.

Rationale:

The non-existent "LSHD Carbine" would be a BCM gun. I think BCM is right up there with Colt in quality control, but BCM has some options that you just can't easily get with Colt. Plus, a large number of accessories that I listed were conveniently priced right off of BCM's site. I would not hesitate to recommend either a Colt or a BCM AR-15; I have no affiliation with either Colt or BCM.

If NFA is allowable and practical then I recommend the 11.5" barrel; if not, I recommend the 14.5" barrel with the pinned extended birdcage FH. I recommend both with "lightweight" profiles, and both with "carbine" gas systems (you really have no option on the 11.5" anyway). The 11.5" recommendation probably gets past with minimal controversy, but I can already hear the howls of "WHY NOT A MIDLENGTH??????" regarding the 14.5” upper, so I'll address my reasoning:

The 14.5" barrel/carbine gas system IS the M4 carbine. We know everything about it. Colt *may* know a thing or two about the engineering that went into the gun and the pressures and the timing and all the other stuff. We have a Mt. Everest worth of data on how this system operates and how it fails and how you need to keep it running. I have no problem with midlength guns (I have one) but my belief is that they can easily ride closer to the edge of unreliability. My preference is for a more positive extraction and more robust operating cycle than it is for "softer-shooting". In addition, balance is more important to me than total overall weight, and the light 11.5 or 14.5 with the gas block closer to the receiver will balance better than a 16” midlength. I skipped the hammer-forged option because in my opinion it is much ado about nothing for some extra shekels. As long as the barrel and chamber are chrome-lined, then I'm happy.

The BCM Gunfighter charging handle is a home run, IMO. It does everything the original part does, but better. The reason I recommend the largest size latch is because if you're going to get a bigger latch, then get a bigger latch. If you're worried about it "getting hung up on gear", think for a moment what kind of "gear" it will supposedly get hung up on and why no other sticky-outy parts get hung up too.

I like the simplicity of the DD fixed rear sight, and I think in conjunction with a 30mm tube (and a lower third co-witness) fixed sights make a lot of sense.

I think freefloat rails are a great invention and I am a fan. That said, with the advent of Impact Weapon Components Mount-N-Slot stuff (no, they don't give me any money or free gear) you can easily mount flashlight and sling attachment points to your standard handguard. These work very well and cost a lot less than a free float rail, yet require no disassembly of the D-ring or barrel.

The latest trend in optics is the Aimpoint Micro, and I've been a big user of these little optics myself. However there's no doubt in my mind that the 30mm tube is more forgiving than the 20mm tube in regards to head position and target acquisition. Plus the PRO costs a lot less.

If you think that the primary use of the WML will be outdoors you may want to consider a WML with an incandescent bulb. An older G2 Nitrolon with a 120 lumen bulb is a good choice. Otherwise the newer LED lights are very robust, have long life, and work well indoors.

I like being able to easily remove the sling and QD buttons haven't failed on me so far. I picked two with recessed buttons to guard against inadvertent sling release. I can live with the sling being mounted through the rear of the buttstock, but the front has to be QD for me.

The M4 stock generally is just fine. If you really can't stand it there are lots of choices and there is no work involved to change it out; I like the VLTOR iMod and the SOPMOD as alternate upgrades.

Use the H buffer with the 11.5" and the 14.5" - the engineering has been done, gas port sizes are standardized, dwell times and operating pressures are clearly understood. This comes standard with the lower.

The A2 grip is pretty lousy for several reasons. I tried the BCM Gunfighter grip on a whim, but I am now a believer. This grip happens to come standard on the BCM lower anyway, so huzzah. My preference is for the model with extra backstrap on the receiver, because it seems to position the hand to more comfortably operate the safety.

I think that the likelihood is high that a normal Earth-person armed with a long gun is probably not going to have a sidearm and probably not going to have a mag carrier on their hip or chest. I think it's important to have an extra mag on the gun and also to have the capability of a very fast reload, which is why I recommend a Boonie Packer Redi-Mag. Instead of jumping on the bandwagon and bashing the MagPul BAD Lever, I'll simply say that it's a good idea executed in a mediocre fashion. When it works, it's very slick - but it *can* cause issues with the proper operation of the rifle. I wouldn’t recommend one except in conjunction with the Redi-Mag.

Magazines are a big sticking point (sometimes literally) and most of the uproar is just stupidity. My preference is still for aluminum magazines, 20 or 30 rounders, depending upon your preference and application. For me, NHMTG are still the gold standard. I don’t really think MagPul followers are necessary in semi-auto carbines, but they are already installed and cheap where I priced them from.

The adjustable 2 point sling is mandatory... the one I picked is probably the most cost-effective. There are several out there and they all seem to work well.

So besides the base gun and the sling, optic, WML, and five magazines would be a complete spare bolt assembly, a bottle of CLP type lube, a cleaning kit, an iron sight adjustment tool, and a .223 broken shell extractor.

I'd also include 1,000 rounds of (decent!) ammunition so you could actually go out and shoot the thing. I used $360 as a very general number because ammo fluctuates so much compared to the other stuff. I consider Prvi or PMC "decent" ammunition. I do not consider Wolf or other commercial Russian crap to be “decent”. Minus the $360 ammo allotment and supposing that there could be a bit of a discount on all the individual parts if offered together, the final Package could come in at right around $2,000.00.

JDM
07-31-2012, 10:59 PM
Great post!

Jay Cunningham
07-31-2012, 11:01 PM
Great post!

THX BRO!

:cool:

JConn
07-31-2012, 11:02 PM
I'd buy one. In fact a bcm lightweight 14.5 is my current project.

JDM
07-31-2012, 11:03 PM
Why do you suggest an incan light for outdoors? I'm a bit of a youngster, and every surefire I've owned has been LED.

Jay Cunningham
07-31-2012, 11:06 PM
Why do you suggest an incan light for outdoors? I'm a bit of a youngster, and every surefire I've owned has been LED.

Good question.

Despite the marketing, the incan lights STILL reign supreme when dealing with high moisture content in the air and with lots of smoke. The LEDs light that MFr up like a Christmas Tree.

Ever seen The Mist? Pretty much like dat.

Kyle Reese
07-31-2012, 11:12 PM
I'd buy one.

Very well thought out and articulated mission statement, Jay.

I'm impressed.

JDM
07-31-2012, 11:17 PM
Good question.

Despite the marketing, the incan lights STILL reign supreme when dealing with high moisture content in the air and with lots of smoke. The LEDs light that MFr up like a Christmas Tree.

I get it!

Really though, I was shooting my rifle last night (LED Scout light), and kept thinking how much reflection (for lack of a better term) I was getting hit with from the smoke of even two rapid shots.

Food for thought I suppose.

Jay Cunningham
07-31-2012, 11:19 PM
I'd buy one.

Very well thought out and articulated mission statement, Jay.

I'm impressed.

Thanks Fred!

BCL
08-01-2012, 06:55 AM
I like your thought process on this Jay. This package is everything a beginning shooter needs and nothing that he/she doesn't.

All good gear at a very reasonable price. If this ever did come to fruition, I would buy one. Especially if it came with a gift certificate towards one of your training classes ;).

Jay Cunningham
08-01-2012, 07:01 AM
I like your thought process on this Jay. This package is everything a beginning shooter needs and nothing that he/she doesn't.

All good gear at a very reasonable price. If this ever did come to fruition, I would buy one. Especially if it came with a gift certificate towards one of your training classes ;).

So the cool thing is that everything I listed above you can get right now for pretty much the prices I listed above. If you really hunted around you could probably find some better deals on individual components, but then you'd have to figure shipping in.

I think the gift cert for a Fundamental Carbine class is brilliant - I'll include it if it ever happens! :p

NETim
08-01-2012, 08:06 AM
Good enough for Clint, good enough for me.

http://noveskerifleworks.com/imimg/r-trsc-556_3.jpg

http://noveskerifleworks.com/cgi-bin/imcart/display.cgi?item_id=r-trsc-556&cat=152&page=1

Yeah, maybe it's a little overpriced but there's no other way to get that TR logo. :)

Pretty solid rig though.

Jay Cunningham
08-01-2012, 08:15 AM
Good enough for Clint, good enough for me.

http://noveskerifleworks.com/imimg/r-trsc-556_3.jpg

http://noveskerifleworks.com/cgi-bin/imcart/display.cgi?item_id=r-trsc-556&cat=152&page=1

Yeah, maybe it's a little overpriced but there's no other way to get that TR logo. :)

Pretty solid rig though.

That rifle is very nice, but for the price tag you're paying for some premium components and missing out on some essential stuff. The training DVD is a good idea, though.

As far as the specs on the above gun, I am absolutely not a fan of the 14.5" mid-length combination... but at least they're using an H buffer and not an VLTOR A5 in conjunction with it. I'd probably run a CAR buffer in that myself. I also don't really get the novelty no forward assist thing, but whatever. Definitely a nice, lightweight carbine. An expensive one, though.

NETim
08-01-2012, 08:26 AM
That rifle is very nice, but for the price tag you're paying for some premium components and missing out on some essential stuff. The training DVD is a good idea, though.

As far as the specs on the above gun, I am absolutely not a fan of the 14.5" mid-length combination... but at least they're using an H buffer and not an VLTOR A5 in conjunction with it. I'd probably run a CAR buffer in that myself. I also don't really get the novelty no forward assist thing, but whatever. Definitely a nice, lightweight carbine. An expensive one, though.

Clint's no fan of forward assist. He claims FA's cause more problems than they solve. With my limited AR experience, I have no opinion one way or the other. It does remove a little weight if nothing else. The VLTOR upper is good stuff regardless.

I knew it was overpriced but I bought it anyway. I knew I'd be getting a no-nonsense lightweight carbine that I wouldn't have to screw around with to get it running right. (Noveske's being what they are.) And, because of their price, there won't be a lot of them around in the future. :)

fuse
08-01-2012, 08:26 AM
Do you ever use the forward assist? I forsee myself getting an AR gas vent when my suppressor comes, and so I need my receiver to have an FA, though the gas vent makes it inoperable.

Jay Cunningham
08-01-2012, 08:30 AM
Do you ever use the forward assist? I forsee myself getting an AR gas vent when my suppressor comes, and so I need my receiver to have an FA, though the gas vent makes it inoperable.

I use the forward assist if I choose to perform a press check. I tap the back of my slide on my pistol after I do a press check on that, same idea.

Little Creek
08-01-2012, 08:59 AM
Clint's no fan of forward assist. He claims FA's cause more problems than they solve. With my limited AR experience, I have no opinion one way or the other. It does remove a little weight if nothing else. The VLTOR upper is good stuff regardless.

I knew it was overpriced but I bought it anyway. I knew I'd be getting a no-nonsense lightweight carbine that I wouldn't have to screw around with to get it running right. (Noveske's being what they are.) And, because of their price, there won't be a lot of them around in the future. :)

As a LH shooter, I recently got an ambi charging handle. My first 5.56 carbine is a S&W M&P15 Sport. I know it is an entry level carbine. One thing that works out well for me is that there is no forward assist to get in the way of the ambi charging handle. So far so good.

vaglocker
08-01-2012, 09:06 AM
From my sample size of one, I heartily agree that the BCM LW 14.5 upper with pinned muzzle device kicks ass. Unless you plan on changing out muzzle devices frequently I don't see any reason to go with the 16 over the 14.5.

Failure2Stop
08-01-2012, 12:17 PM
He claims FA's cause more problems than they solve.

I disagree with Clint on this one.
I have never had an issue with a properly installed and used forward assist, but I have seen lots of issues with not getting the bolt into battery following a chamber check.

JMS
08-01-2012, 12:57 PM
Why do you suggest an incan light for outdoors?

I'm not fully in on the technical skinny of the effect, but the basics are that incan has a more yellowish tint than the more harsh blueish-white of untinted LEDs; those wavelengths being more prevalent helps incan "push" though particulates instead of being diffused and reflected.

One can see a similar effect in another applications:

Automobile fog-lights:
-The REAL ones, which are yellow or amber, and mounted low, will actually allow one to SEE the road in fog.
-The white ones basically obsure the road even further than the normal headlights on the "bright" setting, because all that's being done is adding MORE white light to diffused and reflected back at the driver, so that he can't see the road because he's dazzled AND the light isn't reaching that far forward (which is only fair, since all the halfwits that get the "cool" headlights are blasting the vison of any drivers in opposing traffic under clear conditions...)

OR

Porch lamps:
-In a fog, white bulbs can let you see WHERE the door of the house probably is (Occam's Razor: because that's where they PUT lights...) from a distance, but won't be able to see the door until you approach it.
-Those yellow bulbs they sell for the primary purpose of not attracting bugs will make it more likely to see the door itself sooner, and not just the light-source(s) next to the door.

peterb
08-01-2012, 01:12 PM
I haven't experimented with fog/smoke, but it does seem that the "neutral" or "warm" LEDs I've tried improved depth perception outdoors. The "cool" LEDs seem to flatten things out.
http://www.illuminationgear.com/85243.html

Failure2Stop
08-01-2012, 03:31 PM
I was a huge proponent of incan weapon lights, but i have since decided that the distances involved and relatively few shots involved favor the form factor, battery life, output, and robustness of the modern LED (unless you are using an IR filter for NOD use). They are both fine choices, just where I am right now.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Jay Cunningham
08-01-2012, 03:41 PM
I was a huge proponent of incan weapon lights, but i have since decided that the distances involved and relatively few shots involved favor the form factor, battery life, output, and robustness of the modern LED (unless you are using an IR filter for NOD use). They are both fine choices, just where I am right now.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Yeah, if you feel that you have a need to light up something at 75 yards outside then I would say a powerful incan is a great idea. If you think a more realistic use for the light is mainly indoors or inside 25 yards the LEDs are great. If you live in an environment that tends to have high humidity or rain I'd say the incan might help outside.

Al T.
08-01-2012, 05:12 PM
He claims FA's cause more problems than they solve.

I'd agree with that when it's applied to malfunction clearance. Numerous times when soldiers applied the (state of the art in 1977) remedial action drill known as "SPORTS", they would turn a double feed into an absolute mess.

As for chamber checks on the AR, I'm fairly set on Pat Roger's method which involves removing the magazine after chambering a cartridge and confirming that the top cartridge is now on the other side of the feed lip.

Back on track, Jay I find that the midlength lets me grab and manipulate the carbine better with my excessively long arms. Otherwise, looks like a well thought out system. :cool:

Aray
08-01-2012, 08:54 PM
I haven't experimented with fog/smoke, but it does seem that the "neutral" or "warm" LEDs I've tried improved depth perception outdoors. The "cool" LEDs seem to flatten things out.
http://www.illuminationgear.com/85243.html

I posted this response elsewhere to the discussion on lights. I'm not an expert, just trying to remember 20 yrs ago.

I think it's a combination of cool LEDs (5500K and up) causing more Mie Scattering or Rayleigh Scattering (can't remember well enough which one is which)than warm LEDs (say 2000K-4000K). And possibly that incan bulbs loaded in reflectors project more of their overall output into the central beam than LEDs loaded in reflectors. Either way, a G2 cuts smoke and fog way better than a G2LED.

Tamara
08-02-2012, 06:26 AM
I think it's a combination of cool LEDs (5500K and up) causing more Mie Scattering or Rayleigh Scattering (can't remember well enough which one is which)than warm LEDs (say 2000K-4000K). And possibly that incan bulbs loaded in reflectors project more of their overall output into the central beam than LEDs loaded in reflectors. Either way, a G2 cuts smoke and fog way better than a G2LED.

The CTC Midnight 3-Gun match I just attended was shot in the high desert on a range where the dirt was a fine, talc-like dust. I got almost completely skunked on one target array because as slow as I was, by about ten rounds in, I was shooting into a blank, glowing, white cloud from thirty yards. :o

The reason I recommend the largest size latch is because if you're going to get a bigger latch, then get a bigger latch. If you're worried about it "getting hung up on gear", think for a moment what kind of "gear" it will supposedly get hung up on and why no other sticky-outy parts get hung up too.

Because a) It's the only prominent sticky-outy part on the side of the rifle that faces my body, and ii) It's the only sticky-outy part that's ever caused my bolt to get pulled out of battery? (I was all about the Badger Tac-Latches when they first came out, and now I have an irrational phobia as a result of bad experiences with them.)

Jay Cunningham
08-02-2012, 07:16 AM
Because a) It's the only prominent sticky-outy part on the side of the rifle that faces my body, and ii) It's the only sticky-outy part that's ever caused my bolt to get pulled out of battery? (I was all about the Badger Tac-Latches when they first came out, and now I have an irrational phobia as a result of bad experiences with them.)

It also allows for easier operation when off the weak shoulder. It also allows for some one-handed techniques that are too tough to try with the standard latch. It also helps if your hands are slippery for whatever reason.

But the latches are the same, easy enough to pick whichever one you want. The overall design (despite latch size) is still superior.

What did your latch get cauight on to cause it to get pulled out of battery?

Tamara
08-02-2012, 07:47 AM
What did your latch get cauight on to cause it to get pulled out of battery?

Belt buckle and/or belt. Waistband of my jeans. Bellows pockets on Shoot-Me vest.

If the rifle bounced around at all on its sling, the Tac-Latch was big enough to foul on just about anything, and the gun's own inertia would do the rest.

But regarding the BCM Gunfighter itself, love it. I've thought about moving up to the medium latch and seeing if I can use that without having flashbacks. (I'm not saying my phobia is rational or anything.)

jstyer
08-02-2012, 09:05 AM
Not trying to discount Tam's experience in any way, but I have the BCM large latch on my 14.5" gun and I can honestly say I've never gotten it caught on anything. Even when lashing it to the back of a backpack...

Tamara
08-02-2012, 10:52 AM
Not trying to discount Tam's experience in any way, but I have the BCM large latch...

nb: Haven't tried BCM's size L latch. My phobia comes entirely from bad experiences with the Badger Tac-Latch nearly a decade ago. (I was a real proponent of said latch at the time, too.)

Used PRI Big Latches from then 'til I got my first BCM Gunfighter for Christmas in... '09?

peterb
08-03-2012, 10:10 AM
Just saw this grip survey: http://militarytimes.com/blogs/gearscout/2012/07/27/21-ar-grips-compared/

Nicely done and laid out. Lots of choices of angle and shape to customize the fit of your AR.

Jay Cunningham
08-08-2012, 08:50 PM
Regarding the LSHD Theoretical Signature Carbine: I would also unreservedly recommend a Colt 6933 or 6720 (11.5" and 16" LW barrels, respectively).

EricP
08-12-2012, 06:16 PM
Jay, I was looking for these earlier today, but couldn't find any. Do you recall where you saw them?

BWT
08-12-2012, 07:22 PM
You pretty much have the rifle I'd buy... and am mapping out how to buy, hahaha.

Only thing I'd do different, for a few personal reasons.

I wouldn't get the bad, or the boonie packer spare mag carrier.

Simply because I'm left eye dominant and I shoot left handed, both those devices, while great, just simply don't work for a leftie. I've messed with the BAD and it claims to be Ambi, but, I'm sorry, I couldn't find a way to work it comfortably, and I don't feel at a disadvantage because of that.

I'd probably go with a KAC Ambi-Magazine release and LMT ambi-selector similar to what I'm using now.

I agree on BCM making great stuff, and I'm happy with my MIAD, but, I'm thinking about giving their new pistol grip a shot if I buy a new Complete lower. I'd love a Factory SBR, but... I also want to get this before we get into the election swing of things.

I also, would go with a Troy Rear BUIS, simple because the squared off end makes it easier for me to reaching my right index finger over the back of the receiver and hook a finger into the charging handle. The DD seems to be more rounded and take up that space. For instance, my collapsible Troy BUIS, I can't collapse and pull the charging handle right handed that way. So it stays deployed at this point.

Jay Cunningham
08-14-2012, 07:58 AM
Because a) It's the only prominent sticky-outy part on the side of the rifle that faces my body

Forgot to mention: Remember that there's a Redi-Mag attached to this gun.

Jay Cunningham
08-14-2012, 08:01 AM
Jay, I was looking for these earlier today, but couldn't find any. Do you recall where you saw them?

You can most definitely get them here:

http://www.44mag.com/product/nhmtg_magazine_magpul_follower/nhmtg

I have no affiliation with the above company.

David S.
10-08-2014, 04:19 PM
Jay-

Two years later, do you have any updates to the TLSHDSCP?

NerdAlert
10-08-2014, 04:31 PM
Since JollyGreen bumped it to the top: This is what I was looking for in my "King for a Day" Thread. Great stuff Jay. Someday I will build or buy an AR and I will come back to this post for inspiration. This setup seems to have everything you need and nothing you don't. I would add that with the advent of the SB-15 the 11.5" configuration has a lot more appeal to me than it would have a couple years ago. Thanks Jay.

Jay Cunningham
10-08-2014, 05:09 PM
Blast from the past! I'll detail the carbine that I'm using right now:

BCM LW 11.5" upper
10" KMR handguard
BCM BCG
BCM GF Comp
BCM GF Ambi CH
Troy folding BUIS
Trijicon SRS
SF M300 Mini Scout light
BCM lower
GF Mod 3 grip
Geissele S3G trigger
VLTOR iMod stock
VLTOR A5SR Receiver Ext.
A5H4 buffer (6.83oz)
BAD-ASS ambi safety
SOB sling

http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/10/08/058a1e6a5c09456016d57fc3696df389.jpg

Unobtanium
10-09-2014, 03:36 AM
Good question.

Yeah...someone can't read time-stamps so well :(

Myfail.

Unobtanium
10-09-2014, 03:39 AM
Yeah, if you feel that you have a need to light up something at 75 yards outside then I would say a powerful incan is a great idea. If you think a more realistic use for the light is mainly indoors or inside 25 yards the LEDs are great. If you live in an environment that tends to have high humidity or rain I'd say the incan might help outside.

Haha, I just saw the post-date on this. Amazing how much things have changed in just 2 years, isn't it? I think the only thing that changes faster than LED technology are iPhones getting longer. I remember E-mailing Gene Malkoff a few years back asking about a 300 OTF lumen 2-CR123 single-die light. He said sadly it couldn't be done, and 230 OTF or so was about it. Now we have 800+ OTF lumens from that combination. Heck, factory Surefire lights are 500+.

rob_s
10-09-2014, 04:51 AM

BCM LW 11.5" upper
10" KMR handguard
BCM BCG
BCM GF Comp
BCM GF Ambi CH
Troy folding BUIS
Trijicon SRS
SF M300 Mini Scout light
BCM lower
GF Mod 3 grip
Geissele S3G trigger
VLTOR iMod stock
VLTOR A5SR Receiver Ext.
A5H4 buffer (6.83oz)
BAD-ASS ambi safety
SOB sling

Remarkably similar to what I just out together. The places where our choices deviate (I'm using a different trigger and sights) the functionality of those parts is pretty much identical (I'm using a CMC trigger, the Diamondhead-made BCM sights, and an Aimpoint PRO). I'm also using one of the new, tan, X300s because I still can't bring myself to keep any light on any gun all the time.

Mitch
10-09-2014, 12:52 PM

BCM LW 11.5" upper
10" KMR handguard
BCM BCG
BCM GF Comp
BCM GF Ambi CH
Troy folding BUIS
Trijicon SRS
SF M300 Mini Scout light
BCM lower
GF Mod 3 grip
Geissele S3G trigger
VLTOR iMod stock
VLTOR A5SR Receiver Ext.
A5H4 buffer (6.83oz)
BAD-ASS ambi safety
SOB sling

What are your thoughts about the kmr compared to the carbine laid out in the OP? I'm in the market for an upper for home defense. I've all but decided on a 14.5" carbine gas system with a front sight post for ultra reliability given the intended use, but the kmr does seem to be really popular. Makes me wonder if I'm missing something.

Jay Cunningham
10-09-2014, 12:55 PM
The KMR is pretty awesome.

rob_s
10-17-2014, 07:31 AM
meant to post this elsewhere.

NickA
11-19-2014, 10:32 AM
FYI: looking at my first AR and was using this as a guideline. BCM no longer makes LW carbine uppers in 14.5 or 16, only 11.5. The longer LW's are all mid-length.

Jay Cunningham
11-19-2014, 10:50 AM
FYI: looking at my first AR and was using this as a guideline. BCM no longer makes LW carbine uppers in 14.5 or 16, only 11.5. The longer LW's are all mid-length.

I noticed that. I suspect they might come out in dribs and drabs. I'm pretty sure you can order a DD upper in a 14.5" pinned carbine format.

John Hearne
11-19-2014, 11:06 AM
What are your thoughts about the kmr compared to the carbine laid out in the OP?

The KMR makes my Troy Alpha feel fat and unwieldy.

NickA
11-19-2014, 11:20 AM
I noticed that. I suspect they might come out in dribs and drabs. I'm pretty sure you can order a DD upper in a 14.5" pinned carbine format.
Here's what they sent:
"Carbine gas system upper receiver groups are only available in government profiles.* Mid-length gas systems are available in lightweight, stainless, enhanced lightweight as well as government profile barrels."

Makes it sound permanent, but who knows.
It's tempting me to go with the 11.5 and do a pistol build.