PDA

View Full Version : Chris Kyle Story as told by Marcus Luttrell

NETim
07-31-2012, 10:17 AM
Yeah, I'm late to the game but on the chance that others may not have heard of this story, I'm passing it on.

On a bitterly cold morning in early January of 2009, the war, in a sense, found Chris again. What happened to him not far from his home outside Dallas never made the news, since the town involved didn’t want the publicity, but the incident certainly would have made national headlines had a reporter ever gotten a tip about it.

Chris was minding his own business, fueling his pickup truck at a gas station, when he found himself at gunpoint. Two men holding pistols demanded his truck. Law enforcement will usually advise you to give in to the criminal in a situation like this. And that’s good advice. But Chris took another route. Very calmly and coolly, he sized up which of the men was handling his pistol more comfortably. He put his hands up and told them he was going to reach into the truck to get his keys. Then his hand went under his coat. From a waistband holster, he pulled his Colt 1911. Swinging the pistol under his left armpit, he gave each robber two .45 caliber Hydra-Shock hollow-points to the chest. By the time the cops responded to the 911 call from the terrified lady who had locked herself in a car behind Chris’s truck, the matter was settled. Elapsed time: about ten seconds. The service station’s security cameras caught the whole thing.

I pray for anyone whose life gets so desperate that he or she chooses to resort to a life of crime, but it’s hard to resist a little cold laughter all the same: I mean, how unlucky a dumbass do you have to be to target a random guy for felony armed assault and find out he’s killed more people than smallpox?

http://statelymcdanielmanor.wordpress.com/2012/06/04/the-universe-has-a-good-laugh/

EMC
07-31-2012, 10:34 AM
Week 39 - armpit drill?

Prdator
07-31-2012, 11:09 AM
Really bad victim selection process for those guys. This does hammer home the point that YOU DO NOT GET TO CHOSE when you'll need your gun. I'd put money on that nobody has more "Awareness" than Chris but from the way it sounds the guys got the drop on him.

Ray Keith
07-31-2012, 12:17 PM
Anyone know where this occurred, other than outside of Dallas?

GooberTim
07-31-2012, 12:25 PM
That excerpt is from Luttrell's second book, "Service: A Navy Seal at War". It was a cool surprise in the book when I read it, as I had just finished Chris Kyle's "American Sniper", both good reads.

will_1400
07-31-2012, 01:07 PM
Nice to see Darwin is still alive and kicking (metaphorically speaking).

TommyG
08-01-2012, 08:11 AM
Further proof that what goes around comes around and when it does it often gains velocity on the return trip.

bigslim
08-01-2012, 08:14 AM
funny how I read this post yesterday and then got to that part in the book.

speaking of is there a book thread? if not we should start one.

NETim
08-01-2012, 08:28 AM
I'm still chuckling over the "killed more people than smallpox" line. :)

NickA
08-01-2012, 08:42 AM
speaking of is there a book thread? if not we should start one.

There is one in the Romper Room section that hasn't been updated in a while, it could probably use a bump for some fresh material.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

SeriousStudent
08-02-2012, 12:38 AM
Both are excellent books, and well worth the read.

I did enjoy Chief Kyle's discussion of how he became so skilled at the Tiger Woods golf video game.