PDA

View Full Version : I want to get training, now where can I get it...

Jared
07-29-2012, 02:33 PM
I live in the southern part of Illinois. How southern? Well, I can drive to Nashville Tennessee and back faster that I can drive to Chicago. If you're really curious, on a map, I'm reasonably close to where Interstate 57 and Interstate 64 intersect. It's pretty rural here, and things like firearms training opportunities, indoor public ranges, etc, are few and far between.

Last year, I was all booked up for a class, a good one, well known instructor. Two weeks before time to go, the folks that I worked for informed me that the vacation days I had put in for to attend the class were not going to be given to me, that I was going to have to come to work instead. Same thing happened this year. It's a little frustrating to book hotels, get a spot in class, put down deposits, and just generally get excited as hell to go, and then two weeks out, two years in a row, get the rug yanked out from under you.

I've decided that I am going to revise my plan. If I can't get to a big name, something closer to home is in order. Next year, I swear, if it comes down to it, I'll call in sick and get the training, but I need something close enough that I can make the drive for a one day class, something that doesn't involve making multi-day hotel stays. Major cities within a 2 hour drive for me include St. Louis, MO; Paducah, KY; Evansville, IN. If anyone knows where I can get some good instruction within say a 2 to 2.5 hour drive from me, please post some info for me, and thank you in advance.

Jay Cunningham
07-29-2012, 02:43 PM
You could always try and host an instructor yourself:

http://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?3015-How-to-Successfully-Host-a-Firearms-Training-Class

EMC
07-29-2012, 02:44 PM
Welcome, I lived to your south in Marion for a short time back in the late 90's. I would speculate all your best options will be in TN.

Fond memories of my time there include visiting the national coal museum near Johnston City and running around exploring the Garden of the Gods and the confluence of the rivers down in Cairo. Totally cool going that far underground in a real coal mine.

Jared
07-29-2012, 03:30 PM
You could always try and host an instructor yourself:

http://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?3015-How-to-Successfully-Host-a-Firearms-Training-Class

Jay, the problem I've got is, I doubt I could honestly find 4 shooters around me that would honestly attend if I could get someone to come. Otherwise, I'd have already made some overtures, but I doubt that someone of stature, a name instructor if you will, would come down to train 4 dudes. Would you, personally, by any chance? I'm asking honestly.

mpd046
07-29-2012, 03:49 PM
I've decided that I am going to revise my plan. If I can't get to a big name, something closer to home is in order. Next year, I swear, if it comes down to it, I'll call in sick and get the training, but I need something close enough that I can make the drive for a one day class, something that doesn't involve making multi-day hotel stays. Major cities within a 2 hour drive for me include St. Louis, MO; Paducah, KY; Evansville, IN. If anyone knows where I can get some good instruction within say a 2 to 2.5 hour drive from me, please post some info for me, and thank you in advance.

For the past 2 years I've hosted Tiger Swan and Pat Mcnamara for Pistol classes in Maryville IL. Maryville is about 1 1/2 hours from Mt. Vernon. I'm working with Paul from Alias Training to get another class on the schedule for May of 2013. 2013 will be a rifle class. I'm trying to bring a big name instructor to this area once a year. Let me know if your interested.

Matt

Shawn.L
07-29-2012, 04:05 PM
I was in Indiana recently for EWO with southnarc
http://shivworks.com/?page_id=2

Im pretty sure Jeff hosts other stuff there too. Shoot him a line, I dont think thats far from you.

Jared
07-29-2012, 06:19 PM
Mpd046, I sent you a PM.