PDA

View Full Version : Can Y'all Possibly Forgive Me?

revchuck38
07-24-2021, 12:33 PM
My M&P40 1.0 is my nightstand gun. I hadn't shot it in at least a year, so I took it to the range this morning and put 50 rounds through it. It ran fine.

Now, this is the hard part...God, this is hard to write...I came home and I...I...field stripped it and...and...I cleaned it. <sob> I even used Hoppe's and a correct bore brush on the barrel, dried the bore, and ran an oily mop through it. And then...and then...I put <sob> oil on the places it's supposed to go.

Please, people, don't kick me off the P-F island! I couldn't stand the rejection! Oh God, I'm so scared...<sob>

UNM1136
07-24-2021, 12:45 PM
The only thing to forgive there is the M&P40. Better platforms are available for that caliber, and better calibers are available in that platform....:p:cool:

pat

awp_101
07-24-2021, 12:47 PM
I thought you were raised better than that. Hoppe’s is a cologne, not a cleaner!

Greg
07-24-2021, 01:24 PM
Shoot 400 rounds of filthy ammo through it STAT.

Then put the pistol in a bag of Cheetos and stomp on it for 5 minutes.

JK, my nightstand guns are clean and oiled too. :cool:

WDR
07-24-2021, 01:41 PM
I shot 50 rounds through my carry G19 a month ago... and never cleaned it. I probably should run a patch through it before I go to the range today.

But #9, man? Everyone who is anyone knows you should be using Fireclean... I mean veggie oil. It's cheaper than #9 by the oz.

blues
07-24-2021, 02:17 PM
Just wait until your father gets home!

parishioner
07-24-2021, 02:19 PM
The only thing to forgive there is the M&P40. Better platforms are available for that caliber, and better calibers are available in that platform....:p:cool:

pat

I thought the M&P was originally designed around the .40?

FrankB
07-24-2021, 02:58 PM
I’ve tried to not clean a pistol after one magazine/cylinder, but give in within 1 hour after arriving home. My wife fired off two .357 magnum rounds with a primer only (no powder/bullet) on the 4th of July, and out came my cleaning supplies. Glocks get a bore snake between full cleanings, but my revolvers and 1911’s get the deluxe treatment. My name is Frank, and I’m a cleanaholic. LOL

JAH 3rd
07-24-2021, 03:50 PM
Firearm maintenance is a personal decision/choice. I don't begrudge how frequent or infrequent one cleans their firearms.

In this case you said you use it for home defense. So if I shot 50 rounds through a H/D handgun, I would this: I would field strip the pistol and wipe it down with a dry cloth......slide inside and out and frame. Wipe the barrel down outside and run a wet patch of CLP down the inside......let sit a few minutes, then a dry patch down the bore. Pay attention to the breach face and extractor hook with a patch for cleanliness. Reassemble.

Home defense weapons I like clean and lubed. Range toys, well they might get cleaned every third or fourth time to the range.

KevH
07-24-2021, 03:51 PM

pat

The M&P is still my favorite gun for 40 S&W. Nothing to forgive there!

JAH 3rd
07-24-2021, 03:52 PM
Shoot 400 rounds of filthy ammo through it STAT.

Then put the pistol in a bag of Cheetos and stomp on it for 5 minutes.

JK, my nightstand guns are clean and oiled too. :cool:

I use Doritos

JRB
07-24-2021, 03:53 PM
Not sure if we're asking for forgiveness about .40 S&W pistols, or cleaning, or both.
I always wanted one of these for a stupid, stupid reason. It was the pistol held by the 'operator' on the cover of Rainbow Six and the numerous video game spin offs.

But I just got done cleaning this thing and I hadn't even *fired* it. Pitifully low cap 13 round mags, goofy proprietary rail, no RDS cut...

It'll get me kilt in da streetz, I tell ya!
Unless I find some of those old Oakley goggles, and maybe one of those pre-MOLLE tactical vests. Nah, I'll stick with just the pistol.

peterb
07-24-2021, 04:45 PM
Ah, the smell of Hope’s #9…..

For the full olfactory effect, you need to clean your gun in a room that has a wet Labrador snoozing in front of a wood fire. :)

Duelist
07-24-2021, 04:48 PM
SWMBO think she Hoppe’s smells like a rotten banana. I am forbidden from owning any, let alone using it in her air space.

Robinson
07-24-2021, 04:48 PM
I thought the M&P was originally designed around the .40?

Yep, that is my understanding as well.

Robinson
07-24-2021, 04:51 PM
My M&P40 1.0 is my nightstand gun. I hadn't shot it in at least a year, so I took it to the range this morning and put 50 rounds through it. It ran fine.

Now, this is the hard part...God, this is hard to write...I came home and I...I...field stripped it and...and...I cleaned it. <sob> I even used Hoppe's and a correct bore brush on the barrel, dried the bore, and ran an oily mop through it. And then...and then...I put <sob> oil on the places it's supposed to go.

Please, people, don't kick me off the P-F island! I couldn't stand the rejection! Oh God, I'm so scared...<sob>

I've heard that pistols run okay clean, but I'm skeptical. I don't have much experience with it.

DMCutter
07-24-2021, 05:26 PM
Not sure if we're asking for forgiveness about .40 S&W pistols, or cleaning, or both.
I always wanted one of these for a stupid, stupid reason. It was the pistol held by the 'operator' on the cover of Rainbow Six and the numerous video game spin offs.

But I just got done cleaning this thing and I hadn't even *fired* it. Pitifully low cap 13 round mags, goofy proprietary rail, no RDS cut...

Unless I find some of those old Oakley goggles, and maybe one of those pre-MOLLE tactical vests. Nah, I'll stick with just the pistol.

My USP compact 40 is about the only pistol I have now without a red dot, and since L&M Precision has shut down it's destined to remain so. And it's not very clean, either.

Borderland
07-24-2021, 05:34 PM
You should see my reloading dies.

BobM
07-24-2021, 05:38 PM
I bought my 2006ish issued M&P40 “1.0” when we replaced them with new ones. It doesn’t get out much but today I took it kayaking. I replaced the grip pin with one that accepts a lanyard (the 2.0s come lanyard-capable). I probably ought to re-lube it before I put it away and pull out my normal EDC 2.0.

awp_101
07-24-2021, 05:42 PM

pat

LGS has a G35 w/Holosun for under $1K. I’ve given it serious thought a couple of times then remember I’ve already got a 5” M&P Pro Series .40 just waiting for me to pick up another Holosun one of those days. The M&P isn’t an “I can’t miss” pistol but it does make me look better than I am, especially on the plate rack.

Borderland
07-24-2021, 05:46 PM

I see you have an HK for sale.

JRB
07-24-2021, 07:26 PM
My USP compact 40 is about the only pistol I have now without a red dot, and since L&M Precision has shut down it's destined to remain so. And it's not very clean, either.

I keep hoping that another place will offer at least an HE509T or ACRO cut for the USP, since I know the RMR cut is more complicated. I'd be a repeat customer if that were the case!

I see you have an HK for sale.

Not for sale...

But I'll probably accept a straight trade for something else neat, like a Nighthawk 1911 or a Dan Wesson 'Elite Fury' 1911, in 10mm of course! :D

Borderland
07-24-2021, 07:33 PM
I keep hoping that another place will offer at least an HE509T or ACRO cut for the USP, since I know the RMR cut is more complicated. I'd be a repeat customer if that were the case!

Not for sale...

But I'll probably accept a straight trade for something else neat, like a Nighthawk 1911 or a Dan Wesson 'Elite Fury' 1911, in 10mm of course! :D

OK. I was just hoping you had a 9mm you needed to see gone. :D I don't have a 9mm USP yet.

JRB
07-24-2021, 08:03 PM
OK. I was just hoping you had a 9mm you needed to see gone. :D I don't have a 9mm USP yet.

My poor photography skills didn't capture it well, but that one is a USP40.

The USP9 is great, but every time I've fired one it never really felt right for some reason. The slide felt slow and I was routinely throwing shots low and left like a total newb.
That doesn't happen with the USP40, USP45, or the USP9c, interestingly enough. So the USP may be the only pistol that I prefer in .40 S&W over 9mm.

For utterly arbitrary and ultimately baseless reasons, I wish HK made a 10mm USP or a 10mm version of the HK45. But that's another ramble for another time and place.

Borderland
07-24-2021, 08:09 PM
My poor photography skills didn't capture it well, but that one is a USP40.

The USP9 is great, but every time I've fired one it never really felt right for some reason. The slide felt slow and I was routinely throwing shots low and left like a total newb.
That doesn't happen with the USP40, USP45, or the USP9c, interestingly enough. So the USP may be the only pistol that I prefer in .40 S&W over 9mm.

For utterly arbitrary and ultimately baseless reasons, I wish HK made a 10mm USP or a 10mm version of the HK45. But that's another ramble for another time and place.

I have an HK45. Lots to like with that one. ;) If the military had their head out of their ass that would have replaced the M9.

JRB
07-24-2021, 08:14 PM
I have an HK45. Lots to like with that one. ;)

I have a pair of light LEM HK45c's that seem to get carried more and more often these days thanks to a JMCK Wing Claw. But I need to run them through a class and decide between Glock/Gadget vs LEM vs Beretta before I go buying more pistols I still need a fullsize HK45!

Unrelated, but an unmodified HK45 fullsize 10rnd magazine can hold 16 rounds of 10mm. :D

pangloss
07-24-2021, 09:20 PM
I checked my records, and I haven't shot my bedside G17.4 since November, 2019. My record also says that I have cleaned it since August, 2018. At this point, I should probably just replace it with a G17.5! Since I got relatively serious about shooting just Glock 19s, the other pistols don't get out very much.

Mark D
07-25-2021, 12:17 AM
I'm not religious about cleaning my G19 which serves as a daily carry piece and nightstand gun.

That said, I think it makes sense to clean and lube any firearm you may need in a life threatening situation.

awp_101
07-25-2021, 07:51 AM
How about some dirty pictures? My 92X after 50-75 rounds Thursday and another 100 rounds Friday afternoon.

5pins
07-25-2021, 08:24 AM
This thread reminds me to take my nightstand gun to the range, it's been awhile.

HeavyDuty
07-25-2021, 08:33 AM
My usual thing is to field strip at the range and wipe down with an oilcloth, lube and reassemble. Bores usually get snaked yearly or every few hundred rounds, so some pistols get the rope much more often than others. I’m definitely not maniacal about cleaning.

Beat Trash
07-25-2021, 08:37 AM
I checked my records, and I haven't shot my bedside G17.4 since November, 2019. My record also says that I have cleaned it since August, 2018. At this point, I should probably just replace it with a G17.5! Since I got relatively serious about shooting just Glock 19s, the other pistols don't get out very much.

I was in a similar situation, but it was a Glock 17 Gen 3 that sat in the nightstand while I concentrated on Glock 19’s.

It got replaced with a gen5 Glock model 45. I like being able to use a G19 holster should I ever want to carry it.

If I don’t clean my guns after shooting them, I start twitching and mumbling, “Must clean gun…” under my breath.