PDA

View Full Version : Biden is bringing back showerhead regulations that Trump had done away with

LittleLebowski
07-20-2021, 05:23 PM
Just tell me what to stockpile right now :D

https://reason.com/2021/07/20/trump-slashed-regulations-that-stopped-americans-from-having-a-good-shower-biden-is-bringing-them-back/

Under pressure from environmentalists, the Biden administration is putting some stricter energy efficiency regulations in place. On Friday, the U.S. Department of Energy (DOE) announced that it would be reversing a short-lived Trump administration rule that eased restrictions on the pleasing flow of multi-headed showers.

The root of this dispute goes back to the Energy Policy and Conservation Act, a 1992 law which imposed a host of convenience-crushing energy efficiency regulations on appliances. Chief among them was a requirement that showerheads sold in the U.S. emit no more than 2.5 gallons of water per minute.

Former President Donald Trump was a frequent critic of both this regulation and Obama-era regulatory changes in 2011 and 2013 that required whole shower units to comply with the 2.5-gallon-per-minute limit. Previously, multi-headed shower units could emit more water so long as each individual showerhead didn't surpass 2.5 gallons-per-minute.

"I build, and I build a lot of stuff. And I go into areas where they have tremendous water… And you have sinks where the water doesn't come out…. You have showers where I can't wash my hair properly, it's a disaster!" said then-candidate Trump at a 2015 rally.

It's a complaint that Trump re-upped multiple times during his tenure in the White House. It wasn't until December 2020, however, that his DOE undid the Obama administration's restrictions, letting multi-headed showers flow freely again.

The Biden administration has now proposed to undo this important win for individual liberty.

"As many parts of America experience historic droughts, this commonsense proposal means consumers can purchase showerheads that conserve water and save them money on their utility bills″ said a Department of Energy spokesperson to the Associated Press on Friday.

OlongJohnson
07-20-2021, 05:26 PM
It always strikes me as stupendously stupid that in 99 percent of the hotels I stay in, it's impossible to regulate the temperature of the water without having it turned up to max flow rate. I would be perfectly happy having less flow and independently adjustable temperature, but I guess those valve assemblies would cost $5/room more. Or something.

Shoresy
07-20-2021, 05:28 PM
Get out of my shower, Joe Biden!

blues
07-20-2021, 05:32 PM
No shower for you, two weeks!

Caballoflaco
07-20-2021, 05:41 PM
Eventually we’ll be back to buying Serbian showerheads on the black market.

https://youtu.be/vMITcQUe-9M

Lex Luthier
07-20-2021, 06:27 PM
I keep the old ones and clean the mineral deposits out of them every few years.
Soak them overnight in a pan full of white vinegar. Works a treat. I try not to take lengthy showers, anyway. I grew up during the long 1970s California drought.
As long as the utilities are not measuring water usage by the cubic foot and informing city governments, I guess I'm ok.

As for low flow toilets, etc....yer on yer own.

Hambo
07-20-2021, 07:06 PM
Should I hate him? I don't know if mine are low flow or not.

LittleLebowski
07-20-2021, 07:56 PM
Should I hate him? I don't know if mine are low flow or not.

You don’t even know him.

blues
07-20-2021, 08:10 PM
Yes, but there’s just something about him. Something around the eyes, I don’t know, reminds me of… me. No. I’m sure of it, I hate him.

YVK
07-20-2021, 08:23 PM
I simply walk behind my car when it goes through a car wash.

Joe in PNG
07-20-2021, 08:30 PM
My shower, my choice!

Coyotesfan97
07-20-2021, 08:52 PM
You don’t even know him.

Yes, but there’s just something about him. Something around the eyes, I don’t know, reminds me of… me. No. I’m sure of it, I hate him.

If I could like this a thousand times I would in vino veritas

Bergeron
07-20-2021, 09:01 PM
Oh me and my bourgeoise showers, feeling that hot, volumetric water pounding into my flesh, every cubic inch per second a huge middle finger to the State and it’s apparatchiks, the tankless heater keeping even the sensation of time or the worries of an empty water heater from slowing the rebellion of hot flowing water across my body...

Totem Polar
07-20-2021, 09:07 PM
The two things I need to fuckproof my day: coffee, and a real shower.

That is all.

blues
07-20-2021, 09:11 PM
The two things I need to fuckproof my day: coffee, and a real shower.

That is all.

Well, now you can enjoy drip coffee...and a drip shower.

C'mon, man!

JohnO
07-20-2021, 09:11 PM
Somebody should give Biden a Golden Shower.

Totem Polar
07-20-2021, 09:14 PM

Piss pour attitude, right there…

;)

LittleLebowski
07-20-2021, 09:17 PM
We will be hoarding pre-ban showerheads :(

blues
07-20-2021, 09:21 PM
We will be hoarding pre-ban showerheads :(

Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, Explosives & Shower Heads.

"Drop the handheld shower nozzle and slowly move away...Do it now!"

MickAK
07-20-2021, 09:22 PM
80% shower heads with polymer drill out inserts. Cash only.

Bergeron
Shhh... but post-ban shower heads are readily convertible to pre-ban configurations...

Totem Polar
Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, Explosives & Shower Heads.

"Drop the handheld shower nozzle and slowly move away...Do it now!"

BATFES

“Bat Feces…”

blues
07-20-2021, 09:25 PM
BATFES

“Bat Feces…”

Headquartered in Wuhan

Lex Luthier
07-20-2021, 09:31 PM
Shhh... but post-ban shower heads are readily convertible to pre-ban configurations...

Well, yeah, there is that. It's usually a nylon limiter insert.

Bergeron
07-20-2021, 09:33 PM
Will not comply!;)

Lex Luthier
07-20-2021, 09:35 PM

Not even if he was on fire.

Burn, Baby, Burn!

frank
07-20-2021, 10:07 PM
You don’t even know him.

I understood that reference.

nalesq
07-20-2021, 10:50 PM
I just installed new shower heads in my house, and they all had a little plastic flow limiter in them, which was about as easy to remove as a shotgun tube magazine plug. So I don’t see what the big deal is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

LittleLebowski
07-20-2021, 11:12 PM
Well, yeah, there is that. It's usually a nylon limiter insert.

Not a third hole?

RoyGBiv
07-21-2021, 06:15 AM
I discovered this shower head while living in the woods on a low flow well.

Excellent and 2.5gpm. Theres a 2.0 version as well.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B017WNGGMS/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

fatdog
07-21-2021, 06:17 AM
The design of the limiters in ours was such that it was necessary to be in place as a spacer, so power drill, 1/2' bit and 30 seconds later no limits.

Once upon a time I made it my mission to fix hotel bathrooms, sink and shower, as I traveled across the country, at least the ones that could be unscrewed by hand.

HeavyDuty
07-21-2021, 06:40 AM
This 2.5 GPM is the best I’ve ever had - and the magnetic feature is great.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B014TGI96C

BobLoblaw
07-21-2021, 06:53 AM
This is bad for us. This forum loves luxury showers so much that we have showers specifically for our asses.

Norville
07-21-2021, 07:43 AM
I don’t like the sound of that…

Hambo
07-21-2021, 08:12 AM
This is bad for us. This forum loves luxury showers so much that we have showers specifically for our asses.

The truth comes out. So the real title of this thread should be bidets and assholes.

blues
07-21-2021, 08:14 AM
The truth comes out. So the real title of this thread should be bidets and assholes.

And asshats...

Hambo
07-21-2021, 08:53 AM
And asshats...

I stand corrected, sir.

LittleLebowski
07-21-2021, 09:11 AM

We are civilized so of course we have ass showers. High flow ones.

RevolverRob
07-21-2021, 10:11 AM
Oh me and my bourgeoise showers, feeling that hot, volumetric water pounding into my flesh, every cubic inch per second a huge middle finger to the State and it’s apparatchiks, the tankless heater keeping even the sensation of time or the worries of an empty water heater from slowing the rebellion of hot flowing water across my body...

One of the things I do not like about my new house is that it has a traditional tanked hot water heater.

Frankly, I think more important than 2.5gpm shower heads is eliminating tanked water heaters and replacing them all with instants.

LittleLebowski
07-21-2021, 10:17 AM
How do tankless water heaters handle well water? Do they draw more power overall than a traditional water heater?

BobM
07-21-2021, 02:01 PM
One of the things I do not like about my new house is that it has a traditional tanked hot water heater.

Frankly, I think more important than 2.5gpm shower heads is eliminating tanked water heaters and replacing them all with instants.

I had a tank heater replaced a few months ago. I talked to my plumber about tankless and he wasn’t a big fan. Unfortunately I don’t recall what he thought the drawbacks were.

RoyGBiv
07-21-2021, 02:21 PM
I had a tank heater replaced a few months ago. I talked to my plumber about tankless and he wasn’t a big fan. Unfortunately I don’t recall what he thought the drawbacks were.

My tank went TU 3 weeks ago. My plumber said that the biggest obstacle is (for me) the need for a larger supply line from the utility to the heater. A tank can run on fewer BTU's since it heats water in advance. An instant requires way more "instant" BTU's to heat water to a similar temp on an as needed basis. My >25yo house would need an expensive upgrade to the gas line, assuming he wasn't BS-ing me.

vsdtrek
07-21-2021, 06:42 PM
3D printer go brrrrrrrrrrrr

I believe this is the default ban response these days.

DC_P
07-22-2021, 09:00 AM
Low flow - I don't like the sound of that...

I just had a layover in a hotel in Mexico City a few weeks ago. I had almost forgotten how fantastic a shower with no regard for water use was.

FNFAN
07-22-2021, 09:57 AM
3D printer go brrrrrrrrrrrr

I believe this is the default ban response these days.

You could sell 80% complete kits! Just add the restrictor to have a 100% compliant device!

fatdog
07-22-2021, 02:07 PM
How do tankless water heaters handle well water? Do they draw more power overall than a traditional water heater?

I have lost three consecutive tankless electrics (and given up on the concept completely) due to living on rural water, they will not tolerate bubbles or any sort of air void. Those sorts of things and outages that simply happen out here, will certainly happen at some point with a well pump. I think it is a different story with gas versions, but the electric ones will burn up an element in a heartbeat if air gets in the line.

HeavyDuty
07-22-2021, 02:27 PM
I have lost three consecutive tankless electrics (and given up on the concept completely) due to living on rural water, they will not tolerate bubbles or any sort of air void. Those sorts of things and outages that simply happen out here, will certainly happen at some point with a well pump. I think it is a different story with gas versions, but the electric ones will burn up an element in a heartbeat if air gets in the line.

Isn’t that one of the reasons you use a temper tank on the supply line?

fatdog
07-22-2021, 04:05 PM
Isn’t that one of the reasons you use a temper tank on the supply line?

It will not always cover for a jet pump losing its priming, or losing its pressure during a power outage and the air slugs getting in the line. There is a sort of backward slippage as the pressure drops during a power outage that pulls air into the system from the taps. The tank won't keep the pressure in place forever, in fact mine used to let the pressure drop enough for that to happen in about 3-4 hours.

Since I moved to the local rural water system the problem is worse, they dump an air spike in the system every time they have any break anywhere in the 5-6 miles between me and their tank.

I think this is all much less of a problem in the city.