PDA

View Full Version : RFI: Freezers

okie john
07-12-2021, 11:34 AM
Getting ready to buy a freezer for the house. Looking at an upright. What's the best way to go on this?

Thanks,

Okie John

BobLoblaw
07-12-2021, 01:45 PM
Good call on the upright. Deep freezers are compact but the thing you're looking for is always at the bottom for whatever reason.

farscott
07-12-2021, 02:20 PM
My advice after working for GE Appliances when the division was still part of GE.

1) Do NOT get frost-free. Spend the few hours each year to unload it, defrost it, dry it, and put the food back into the freezer. Your food will keep much longer with minimal freezer burn. I do ours when we get a nice cold snap and pile the food outside while I defrost the freezer. Look for ones with good drain plugs. I use a heat gun to melt the ice and some tubing to route the water out of the unit. I then dry the inside with some shop towels, wait a bit longer to insure it is dry, and replace the food. Takes me longer to unload the freezer than it does to defrost it and dry it.

2) Do not buy one made in 2020 or 2021. The part shortages have manufacturers trying all kinds of tricks to keep the lines running. Substitute parts, etc. There will be issues. If possible, haunt estate and moving sales and buy one used.

3). Do not get an Energy Star model. A little higher electric bill versus spoiled food is a no-brainer choice.

littlejerry
07-12-2021, 04:06 PM
My advice after working for GE Appliances when the division was still part of GE.

1) Do NOT get frost-free. Spend the few hours each year to unload it, defrost it, dry it, and put the food back into the freezer. Your food will keep much longer with minimal freezer burn. I do ours when we get a nice cold snap and pile the food outside while I defrost the freezer. Look for ones with good drain plugs. I use a heat gun to melt the ice and some tubing to route the water out of the unit. I then dry the inside with some shop towels, wait a bit longer to insure it is dry, and replace the food. Takes me longer to unload the freezer than it does to defrost it and dry it.

2) Do not buy one made in 2020 or 2021. The part shortages have manufacturers trying all kinds of tricks to keep the lines running. Substitute parts, etc. There will be issues. If possible, haunt estate and moving sales and buy one used.

3). Do not get an Energy Star model. A little higher electric bill versus spoiled food is a no-brainer choice.

Good info! I'm looking to replace a Frigidaire upright from the early 90s that just won't die. Unfortunately the door gasket doesn't seal anymore and I can't source a replacement.

I was about to pull the trigger on the 21cu. ft GE garage ready model but I guess I'll see if I can hold off another year.

100% spot on with upright vs. chest. We had an old chest freezer and I couldn't stand trying to find anything. With the upright I can easily take inventory of my game meat without digging around and risking tearing the vacuum bags.

NEPAKevin
07-12-2021, 04:44 PM
We have both a chest and an upright that we inherited. Both designs have their strong suits. With out disagreeing with anything that has been stated advocating uprights, I would suggest that the chest design allows for larger items to be stored, they stay cold for a long time during power outages, even if you have to open them, and they don't avalanche. OTOH, chest freezers take up more floor space.

farscott
07-12-2021, 07:15 PM
I prefer chest freezers for everything but stock rotation because they are more robust against frost buildup, stay colder longer during outages, and are mechanically simpler. The one in our garage is a chest freezer, and it works well. The only issue is it is too easy for something to get buried at or near the bottom. Well, that and my wife likes to pile stuff on top of it.

Shotgun
07-12-2021, 10:28 PM
Good call on the upright. Deep freezers are compact but the thing you're looking for is always at the bottom for whatever reason.

That is an absolute fact.

We have both a chest and an upright that we inherited. Both designs have their strong suits. With out disagreeing with anything that has been stated advocating uprights, I would suggest that the chest design allows for larger items to be stored, they stay cold for a long time during power outages, even if you have to open them, and they don't avalanche. OTOH, chest freezers take up more floor space.

It's much easier to find the Moo Bars in an upright. Chests do stay cold longer in power outages, but you need an excuse to buy that generator that you have always wanted.