PDA

View Full Version : Democratic senators offer gun control amendment for cybersecurity bill

SecondsCount
07-26-2012, 09:59 PM
Here we go! :mad:

http://thehill.com/video/senate/240657-cybersecurity-bill-includes-gun-control-measure

Schumer suggested that both the left and right find common ground.

“Maybe we could come together on guns if each side gave some,” Schumer said.

I am curious as to what it is that Schumer is giving. It has been take, take, take, for as long as I can remember.

BWT
07-26-2012, 10:18 PM
Non-transferrable.

Screw. That.

MikeyC
07-26-2012, 10:34 PM
Status quo. Like Bloomberg and the rest he can't wait for opportunities to wave this banner.

G60
07-26-2012, 11:25 PM
I am curious as to what it is that Schumer is giving. It has been take, take, take, for as long as I can remember.

Just saw this for the first time today, via Twitter:
http://thelawdogfiles.blogspot.com/2010/09/ok-ill-play.html

"I hear a lot about "compromise" from your camp ... except, it's not compromise.

Let's say I have this cake. It is a very nice cake, with "GUN RIGHTS" written across the top in lovely floral icing. Along you come and say, "Give me that cake."

I say, "No, it's my cake."

You say, "Let's compromise. Give me half." I respond by asking what I get out of this compromise, and you reply that I get to keep half of my cake.

Okay, we compromise. Let us call this compromise The National Firearms Act of 1934.

There I am with my half of the cake, and you walk back up and say, "Give me that cake."

I say, "No, it's my cake."

You say, "Let's compromise." What do I get out of this compromise? Why, I get to keep half of what's left of the cake I already own.

So, we have your compromise -- let us call this one the Gun Control Act of 1968 -- and I'm left holding what is now just a quarter of my cake.

And I'm sitting in the corner with my quarter piece of cake, and here you come again. You want my cake. Again.

This time you take several bites -- we'll call this compromise the Clinton Executive Orders -- and I'm left with about a tenth of what has always been MY DAMN CAKE and you've got nine-tenths of it.

Then we compromised with the Lautenberg Act (nibble, nibble), the HUD/Smith and Wesson agreement (nibble, nibble), the Brady Law (NOM NOM NOM), the School Safety and Law Enforcement Improvement Act (sweet tap-dancing Freyja, my finger!)

I'm left holding crumbs of what was once a large and satisfying cake, and you're standing there with most of MY CAKE, making anime eyes and whining about being "reasonable", and wondering "why we won't compromise".

I'm done with being reasonable, and I'm done with compromise. Nothing about gun control in this country has ever been "reasonable" nor a genuine "compromise"."

YVK
07-26-2012, 11:26 PM
Fat chance before elections. After, I am not so sure.

pdb
07-27-2012, 07:58 AM
Cosponsored by Kirsten Gillibrand. How quickly the worm turns!

cclaxton
07-27-2012, 08:19 AM
I am not concerned. There are now too many Democratic Congressmen who are supporting gun rights to let this go very far. This is an opportunity for them to "show" they are doing something. Also, it is a pretty silly idea because it only restricts future magazine sales over 10 rounds. I guess I will just make sure I stock up on magazines.

On the other hand, it wouldn't suprise me if they do something to make the mental health background checks more rigorous.

This is going nowhere.
CC

Kyle Reese
07-27-2012, 08:22 AM
If you haven't done so, contact your Senators and voice your opposition to this bill.

If you're not a member of the NRA/GOA/SAF, fix it.

We cannot for a moment lapse into complacency.

Zhurdan
07-27-2012, 09:53 AM
And what exactly does gun control have to do with Cyber Security?

I know they've been doing this since...well forever, but adding sh&t to bills, sneaking them in under the radar is just so unbelievably back alley sneaky that it makes me sick. I know both sides have done it, and I don't like it either way. A bill should stand on its own merits. Think how much easier it would be to actually DO something in Congress if there weren't 58 different angles of attack on every bill. On second though, that might be scarier than the alternative!

RoyGBiv
07-27-2012, 10:09 AM
Political theater.

You know why they do it?

Because it works.! Sheeple are actually swayed by gas-bags like Chuck spewing this "logic".

We only have ourselves (not you, that other guy, you know who I'm talking about) to blame.

LittleLebowski
07-27-2012, 10:18 AM
Had to blog about this one.... Schumer is beyond shameless. McCain once said the most dangerous place in DC to be is between Schumer and a microphone.

G60
07-27-2012, 11:07 AM

I know they've been doing this since...well forever, but adding sh&t to bills, sneaking them in under the radar is just so unbelievably back alley sneaky...

To be fair, this is how national Parks carry passed, and how national reciprocity would have passed.

Zhurdan
07-27-2012, 11:26 AM
To be fair, this is how national Parks carry passed, and how national reciprocity would have passed.

Not sure if you read my entire post... but the very next line was " I know both sides have done it, and I don't like it either way. A bill should stand on its own merits."

cclaxton
07-27-2012, 02:14 PM
Political theater.

You know why they do it?

Because it works.! Sheeple are actually swayed by gas-bags like Chuck spewing this "logic".

We only have ourselves (not you, that other guy, you know who I'm talking about) to blame.

There are sheeple on both sides of the gun debate...it is not unique to the left or right. Some of the NRA dittoheads are just as bad.
CC

Suvorov
07-27-2012, 02:30 PM

I know they've been doing this since...well forever, but adding sh&t to bills, sneaking them in under the radar is just so unbelievably back alley sneaky that it makes me sick. I know both sides have done it, and I don't like it either way. A bill should stand on its own merits. Think how much easier it would be to actually DO something in Congress if there weren't 58 different angles of attack on every bill. On second though, that might be scarier than the alternative!

+100

The latest gun grab we are facing here is part of an agriculture bill :mad:

This whole thing should be of no surprise really. Shumer will never sit still if he sees an opportunity to wave the gun control banner. Now however we will get to see just how pro-gun some of these "pro gun" democrats are.

Corlissimo
07-27-2012, 04:17 PM
Chuck says: "If you're an average, normal American citizen... You have the right to bear arms."

So, it seems that an important part of this will be the defining of "an average, normal American citizen", the process for such definition could go sideways quickly depending on who's doing the defining.