PDA

View Full Version : RFI: New Mexico

TAZ
07-11-2021, 09:18 PM
Going to be spending a bit of time in New Mexico with the family. Specifically, Albuquerque (Museum of Nuclear Science and History) and Santa Fe (Bandolier..). My TX CHL is still recognized per the USCCA app and the laws seem similar enough. Anyone know of anything to stay away from, especially in Albuquerque, as that’s always been a stop and sleep till I get into Utah fir vacations.

Thanks in advance

breakingtime91
07-11-2021, 10:12 PM
Going to be spending a bit of time in New Mexico with the family. Specifically, Albuquerque (Museum of Nuclear Science and History) and Santa Fe (Bandolier..). My TX CHL is still recognized per the USCCA app and the laws seem similar enough. Anyone know of anything to stay away from, especially in Albuquerque, as that’s always been a stop and sleep till I get into Utah fir vacations.

Thanks in advance

hey, just watch downtown, especially at night. If you stick to major populated areas it isn't too bad. Sante Fe, I am not sure about.

UNM1136
07-12-2021, 09:04 AM
Downtown bad. Southeast sector, bad. Southwest sector, bad.

Most homicides are in those areas, and this looks like a record year for homicides.

https://www.krqe.com/tag/2021-homicides-albuquerque/

pat

RJ
07-12-2021, 09:17 AM
Not a native, just several social visits and for work at Kirtland over the last 10 years. Generally the closer North, and the closer East, you go, the nicer ABQ seems. Lots of swish houses NE near Tanoan Country Club as you get into the heights.

My go to hotel was the Hyatt Place Uptown, on Louisiana BLVD just North of I40. It was convenient, near Coronado Center (mall) and a decent large Target, restaurants and shops.

As per above stay out of the valley (West of I25). There be dragons.

Old Town is fun during the day or early evening. Don't get lost. The Museum of Nuclear Science is the bomb (heh just kidding, it's very good.)

Pay attention if you have to park or stay anywhere near base. Locals report huge amounts of petty theft and break-ins on the hotels on Gibson BLVD. Central BLVD and University (UNM) is another place to keep your head on a swivel.

Hatch Chiles are awesome. I loved the food there. The cablecar up to Sandia Peak is awesome; restaurant is over priced but the views are amazing. I never drove up the back side but I've heard it is pretty cool to do so also.

RoyGBiv
07-12-2021, 09:55 AM
You don't say how old the kids are but, my kids really enjoyed the Bradbury Museum at Los Alamos.
We visited when they were in their early teens and pre-teen, but, even I found it a very interesting visit.

The museum is still open, but the longer tours are still closed due to covid.
https://www.lanl.gov/museum/index.php
https://www.lanl.gov/museum/manhattan-project/mapr-tours-info-2020.php

Bandolier was a great half-day visit was well.

If you're driving, Carlsbad Caverns is also a memorable visit, even when the bats are out of town.

JRB
07-12-2021, 10:01 AM
RJ and my buddy Pat aka UNM1136 nailed it.

Awesome food, amazing sunsets, zombies/beggars everywhere. Lock your vehicle and leave NOTHING visible inside it. If it's remotely valuable to you, bring it into your hotel room. Don't stay in hotels near the I40/I25 interchange, they're a prime target for car thieves. The Hyatt Place Uptown is a good recommendation.

If encountered on foot, staring down weirdos works 99% of the time. Lots of softies here that are easier targets so they'll leave you alone.
The weirdos on virtually every street corner begging at stoplights, even in nicer parts of town, it's best to pretend they're invisible.

If you need a trouble free watering hole with genuinely good food and zero weirdos I really like Horse & Angel which is in the NE heights. There's also an excellent gourmet ice cream parlor right next door to it.
That whole area of town North of Montgomery Bvld and east of Wyoming Bvld is all pretty decent and nice.

If you want 100% authentic NM food, there's a lot of highly worthy competition but my personal favorites are Cocina Azul or Papa Felipe's. Get the creamy green chile sauce on anything with chicken and you won't regret it.

If you absolutely need a Wal-Mart I'd only go to the one located at Wyoming and Academy. Otherwise avoid them. Uptown Target and the Target off of Montgomery are all safe though.

I pass the Nuclear Science & History museum every day going back and forth to work on Kirtland AFB, it is truly excellent and they've got some astonishing stuff there and it is absolutely worth the visit.
Old town Plaza and the various shopping and museums and such down there are also excellent for a first visit if you're into old Spanish/Native American history of the region, and that part of town is super touristy and generally safe. An excellent 'date night' sort of restaurant is The Antiquity there in Old Town. Truly top shelf stuff in a very old building with character all it's own.

The Sandia Peak Tramway is pretty awesome as well. Takes you to a 10k ft peak which is about 5k above the city itself and the sunsets are simply spectacular from up there.
The drive up the Sandia crest road on the backside of the mountain is absolutely fantastic for a sports car, but most weekends during the day there will be a lot of slow tourist traffic and it is NOT a road suitable for passing, but the views are simply amazing. Bring some cash in $1's for the parking permit at the peak.

If I think of anything more, I'll post it up here.

WobblyPossum
07-12-2021, 02:37 PM
There’s a lot of decent food downtown but there are also many sketchy people wandering about. If you’ve been wanting to practice your MUCing skills, Central Ave is a great place to do so. Definitely don’t leave anything of value visible in your vehicle.

TAZ
07-12-2021, 03:04 PM
Appreciate the feedback. Looks like I chose wisely on the hotel as I’m in the Uptown Hilton southwest of the Hyatt. Yay!!

Am assuming that the museum of nuclear stuff is a gun free zone so I’ll have to lock away my friend.

Sounds like I should take the time to do Sandusky peak as well.

Thanks again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

UNM1136
07-13-2021, 04:05 PM
If the Crest and/or Tram are too sedate for you, a more expensive, arguably more fun route would be to take advantage of our current weather and get a hot air balloon ride. With a good pilot, I hear it is quite the experience.

Your post specifically mentionted "stay away from". There are lots of things to see and do. Are you a Breaking Bad fan? :cool::p:p

pat

SecondsCount
07-13-2021, 07:35 PM
During your travels, if you are anywhere near the NRA Whittington Center in Raton, check out the gun museum, and stay and shoot if you are bringing firearms.