PDA

View Full Version : RC Lictor AR Magazine Pouch

ECVMatt
07-09-2021, 09:58 PM
It looks like Raven Concealment is releasing a new AR mag pouch geared towards the minimalist approach. I ordered one yesterday to check out. I was looking for an easy on and off mag pouch and these just happened to be released while I was searching the net. I will post some pictures when it arrives.

Here's the link:
https://rcsgear.com/lictor-ar-magazine-pouch

littlejerry
07-09-2021, 10:48 PM
Looks cool... But not $40 cool.

I'm an engineer who designs consumer products for a living. I have an involuntary gag reflex when I see someone charging $40 for a molded part that costs $3 to make.

Dave Williams
07-10-2021, 09:43 AM

I'm an engineer who designs consumer products for a living. I have an involuntary gag reflex when I see someone charging $40 for a molded part that costs $3 to make.

What was really absurd was their old pocket shield pricing.

Casual Friday
07-10-2021, 10:20 AM

I felt the same way when a friend of mine paid $95 plus shipping for a 4" long 1913 riser from Unity Tactical.

Archer1440
07-10-2021, 10:22 AM
I felt the same way when a friend of mine paid $95 plus shipping for a 4" long 1913 riser from Unity Tactical.

Those CAGE codes add about 28 dollars to the price… and the patent lawyers add another 50. (I’m only slightly joking…)

Yes, but as a product designer, you should well know the actual production cost of a molded part (for what is likely a third party maker) isn’t just the injection shot- it’s the tooling, and related infrastructure. Low volume molded stuff is the worst when it comes to margins for third parties, who aren’t capitalizing the equipment most times.

Quite a different matter if you’re vertically integrated in the supply chain, of course.

Larry T
07-10-2021, 11:05 AM

Yeah... I don't think it works that way.

littlejerry
07-10-2021, 11:11 AM
Those CAGE codes add about 28 dollars to the price… and the patent lawyers add another 50. (I’m only slightly joking…)

Yes, but as a product designer, you should well know the actual production cost of a molded part (for what is likely a third party maker) isn’t just the injection shot- it’s the tooling, and related infrastructure. Low volume molded stuff is the worst when it comes to margins for third parties, who aren’t capitalizing the equipment most times.

Quite a different matter if you’re vertically integrated in the supply chain, of course.

The resin cost for this is probably ~$0.50

Some off the shelf hardware ~$0.15

Tooling? I'd SWAG $20,000 depending on complexity.

Whats their sales volume? 5k units? 10k? Probably pretty decent given they were issued to every recruit of the secret agency.

And I get it, price what the market allows and all... But they could probably sell 10x as many at half the cost and pay off the tooling faster.

vcdgrips
07-10-2021, 12:09 PM
Admittedly painting with a broad brush:

Generally speaking the board is populated by wonderful hard working folks who are appropriately rah rah America/Capitalism/etc.

YET and STILL

Many piss and moan about an American based company who was on the ground floor of the mass market kydex/injection molded polymer holster etc.business who is charging what they think the market will bear (capitalism/profit motivation/paying American workers a reasonable wage etc.) for a product that will likely work well for an extended period of time by a company with great QC who stands behind their products to include their older .06 ish kydex offerings.

AND THEN

To add insult to injury, often buy a similar product made in the PRC and/or routinely buy goods made in the PRC when viable alternatives are available and they can afford to do so.

A slight digression:
When I first started texturing my grips, I explored going the injection molded route. Working with a local manufacturer with superlative skills and owned by a wonderful man, it was clearly cost prohibitive based on my market, ability to work the business etc.

To paraphrase the gentleman:

"David I wont charge you for anything but the actual mold. Budget 10k, and when I beat that price, be happy in the knowledge that your second set of grips will be fractions of a dollar."

JohnO
07-10-2021, 12:17 PM
Typically I'm wearing pants. Pants have pockets. AR mags fit in pockets.

I don't need to pay $40 plus shipping to put a mag elsewhere!

ECVMatt
07-10-2021, 12:44 PM
Typically I'm wearing pants. Pants have pockets. AR mags fit in pockets.

I don't need to pay $40 plus shipping to put a mag elsewhere!

I hadn't really thought about it that way... I guess I could get rid of my sling too!

All kidding aside, it's not a lot of fun riding around in my truck all day with an AR mag in my pocket but to each his own!

I don't have a problem supporting American businesses and hopefully if the product is a success the price will drop.

I will still post a review when it arrives for those who are interested and for those who are not, there is always Fobus.

vcdgrips
07-10-2021, 02:20 PM
I am a kydex guy. I have been a kydex guy since the early 90's when shooting buddies brought me back "Mad Dog" kydex. I have been a kydex guy since Blade tech had the ixthus (fish) stamped on everything he sold.

I am wearing a kydex holster right now ( legacy graith/mastermind tactics).

Kydex is great right up until it cracks.

The magic of RCS is that they came to understand that and went all in on the injection molded stuff such that cracking and thereby coming out of service at the worst possible time is all but eliminated.

Please post up when you get these mag carriers in hand and have wrung them out a bit.

littlejerry
07-10-2021, 03:45 PM
Admittedly painting with a broad brush:

Generally speaking the board is populated by wonderful hard working folks who are appropriately rah rah America/Capitalism/etc.

YET and STILL

Many piss and moan about an American based company who was on the ground floor of the mass market kydex/injection molded polymer holster etc.business who is charging what they think the market will bear (capitalism/profit motivation/paying American workers a reasonable wage etc.) for a product that will likely work well for an extended period of time by a company with great QC who stands behind their products to include their older .06 ish kydex offerings.

AND THEN

To add insult to injury, often buy a similar product made in the PRC and/or routinely buy goods made in the PRC when viable alternatives are available and they can afford to do so.

In no way am I advocating for them to offshore manufacturing. It would take all of 6 weeks before someone was selling the "Braven Sealment Ligor pouch on Alibaba, 100 pcs for $20 USD" if they used a factory in China.

My critique is this: I've worked with no shortage of small businesses or entrepreneurs who were convinced their widget was a game changing market disruptor and they could charge whatever they wanted. At best it's only ever temporary.

What's the secret sauce of the product? In this specific case it's analogous to a plastic cup with a belt loop and some screws. Is it protected by IP? Do they have some trade secret that keeps competitors from duplicating the product or even improving on it? I'm not seeing it.

This type of hubris creates the perfect opportunity for a competitor to create the same or better widget and sell it for half the price. It's also one of the (many) things that makes US business less competitive in the long run.

But hey, good for them if they can sell it for $40. Enjoy it while it lasts.

TGS
07-10-2021, 06:06 PM

I honestly think a big part of this is the idolatry within the firearms industry, and people from various agencies or companies wanting to suck dick just so they can say, "Oh yeah bro, I know XYZ. He's good people!" as they whip out of selfie of them with XYZ at some product launch or SHOT Show.

It's fucking nauseating. I could give a shit about whatever bullshit pecking order these ass-munchers have.

So, when you've got people from various gov't agencies and private sector companies tripping over themselves to associate themselves with you/your brand, you get to charge whatever you want.

Sig_Fiend
07-10-2021, 06:09 PM
Putting things in perspective, we're talking about a price difference of $10 or $20. That's peasant money. Could we maybe NOT cancel culture yet another quality, American-made manufacturer that actually makes decent products?

What makes US businesses less competitive in the long run is shitty consumers with poor standards that buy trash products and encourage a race to the bottom in the market.

TGS
07-10-2021, 06:11 PM
Putting things in perspective, we're talking about a price difference of $10 or $20. That's peasant money. Could we maybe NOT cancel culture yet another quality, American-made manufacturer that actually makes decent products?

What makes US businesses less competitive in the long run is shitty consumers with poor standards that buy trash products and encourage a race to the bottom in the market.

Who's calling to cancel Raven?

Sig_Fiend
07-10-2021, 06:14 PM
Who's calling to cancel Raven?

No one per-se, but people seemed a bit riled up. I get it, but I just wanted to put things in perspective. A $10 or $20 difference is just not a big deal for people to get all bent out of shape over. That's just my opinion.

Casual Friday
07-10-2021, 06:40 PM
No one per-se, but people seemed a bit riled up. I get it, but I just wanted to put things in perspective. A $10 or $20 difference is just not a big deal for people to get all bent out of shape over. That's just my opinion.

The riled up person wasn't one of the guys questioning the price.

orionz06
07-10-2021, 08:00 PM

Having priced things out, amortized them over a variety of years, and used a variety of standards from other industries, $40 is more or less the right price. I think where things differ is that other companies seek to stray from those same standards in order to make a sale. Often times this can be done because they simply don't distribute and are the sole source. That's neither good or bad, it just is what it is. What I do know is that RCS will still be around in 10 years.

GJM
07-10-2021, 08:08 PM
What are the competitive products to this one, how do they compare, and how are they priced?

Eric_L
07-10-2021, 08:47 PM
https://www.thewilderness.com/magazine-speedloader-and-ammo-carriers/223-mag-pouch/

I do not know where it it is made. Low profile, quiet. Tight grip.

WDR
07-10-2021, 10:42 PM
What are the competitive products to this one, how do they compare, and how are they priced?

$40 does seem a bit steep for a hunk of injection molded plastic... But it is what it is. If you don't like the price, or the product, you don't have to buy it.

Comp-Tac makes a kydex single AR mag pouch that costs roughly the same as these, last I checked. I own one. The RCS clip might last longer than the built in clip on the Comp-Tac pouch, if you are taking it off and putting it on by slipping it over the belt, vs threading the belt through it. Over the years, I've had a LOT of Comp-Tac mag pouches crack at the bend at the top, where the plastic has to flex. I thread those pouches onto the belt as much as possible now. I have had kydex holsters and pouches crack quite a few times. Comp-Tac used to use bent kydex for their holster belt clips, but eventually started using their current molded plastic clips, as the original kydex ones cracked quite often. The new clips are almost indestructible in regular use.

I was sad when RCS went away from kydex, and started up the molded stuff,because it just looks/feels cheaper, like Fobus stuff. But it honestly makes a lot of sense for anything that needs to flex. Usually its a design issue. Anything made of a hard plastic that needs to flex, is going to crack eventually.

Maybe those old geezers who used leather were on to something... :cool:

ETA: If these were priced closer to $20, I'd probably buy one or two to try... At $40, I'm not really interested. RCS does occasionally have some decent sales/discounts, so it's worth watching, IMHO.

Hot Sauce
07-10-2021, 10:56 PM
At this point, the ammo inside that magazine is damn near worth $40, so in all honestly how much does the price of the pouch really matter?

We've all spent $40 on way dumber good-idea-fairy shit.

orionz06
07-11-2021, 12:03 AM

https://blade-tech.com/products/signature-series-ar-mag-pouch?variant=3975919960092

That Guy
07-11-2021, 05:08 AM

Aside from the ones already mentioned, Kytex Gear makes one for $24, unfortunately doesn't appear to be ambidextrous: https://kytexgear.com/product/ar15-mag-carrier/

SKD Tactical has one for $28 that's ambi: https://skdtac.com/ready-tactical-ar15-ambi-speed-mag-pouch/

Plus of course if one looks at other kinds of pouches than just black plastic there are belt-mounted ones from HSGI, Esstac, Blue Force Gear at around the $35 mark, although depending on the intended use these may or may not apply (I've never handled the Esstac pouches but their belt clips look like they move the pouch further away from the body, I'd imagine the HSGI's might be a tad bulky on the belt as well plus inserting a magazine into one is not always easy, and the Blue Force Gear elastic pouches are marvelous except putting a magazine in the only one I own can sometimes be a bit difficult - so if ease of inserting a magazine into the carrier is a factor, the black plastic ones are probably better for that use).

So the competitive pouches seem to be in the $25 to $35 range. Not really all that far from the one discussed here. And if the material of the RC pouch makes it less likely for the belt clip to crack, that sounds like a good product improvement. I've used several of the Kytex pistol pouches and with those, the belt clip always breaks at some point.

That Guy
07-11-2021, 05:15 AM
Or if you're a fellow poor, you could get a $10 surplus MOLLE pouch and just mount that on your belt. Not as fancy, leaves something to be desired, but hey - now you have a way to carry a rifle magazine on your belt. :p

Gater
07-11-2021, 05:40 AM
https://blade-tech.com/products/signature-series-ar-mag-pouch?variant=3975919960092

That's what comes to mind. I checked: I paid $29.99 for mine (new and including shipping) from an Ebay seller in 2015 before heading off to a carbine class, so they sold at least one at that price. :)

I'll be interested in OP's observations on the Raven pouch. The Bladetech works fine (so I won't be shelling out $48 for a replacement), but it's a little clunky on the belt due to the tension adjustment and to get on/off. Almost 4 inches front to back, and just over 2 inches thick with the Tek lok clip. 5.13oz on cheapo digital scale. I'm not sure how much you could really slim that down, though.

ST911
07-11-2021, 07:59 AM
https://www.thewilderness.com/magazine-speedloader-and-ammo-carriers/223-mag-pouch/

I've had some of those for ~15 years now. Might be longer. $39.95/15 years is $2.66/yr each. I couldn't tally the number of uses, people that have used them, or experiences with them. I suspect when one eventually fails, Wilderness will even fix it. It's just a widget, but when I think about price I tend to do it this way.

I don't know anything about the Raven pouch, but at that price point there's no reason to think it won't provide a significant use value and reasonable lifecycle cost.

Erick Gelhaus
07-11-2021, 09:34 AM
RCS sent me two of these pouches. Per them, these were designed to fill a need for pouches with a narrower footprint than existing ones, even theirs - they fulfill that requirement. They have at least a third less of a footprint on the belt.

Two weekends ago I taught a CCW skills class and wore one concealed with a full AR magazine in it. I asked one of the gentlemen helping to keep an eye open for printing, etc. He told me it was not obvious. No one else mentioned it.

I'm teaching two week-long carbine classes in the next six weeks. I plan on using one daily while loaning the other to a student in each class. Hopefully, those classes will give me a basis for an opinion on the product.

littlejerry
07-11-2021, 10:09 AM
Probably the closest piece of gear I've seen are the G-code pouches and also this one from FAB:

https://www.fab-defense.com/en/category-magazines-and-accessories/id-216/m4-magazine-pouch.html

It seems to sell for $18-25 across the web. Amazon actually has it for $18 with Prime which is a tempting buy.

Also interesting is the Mean Gene leather pouch:
https://www.meangeneleather.com/shop/mgl-burro-ar-magazine-pouch-patent-pending/
$35 for a leather slide-on, or $41 for leather with a riveted spring steel clip. That actually seems like a bargain when you consider the labor and materials going into the product.

RE materials: no doubt the injection molded resin is superior to Kydex. Kydex is used for its easy fabrication, not its superior mechanical properties. Impact modified PP copolymers are cheap ($0.50-0.75 per lb) and are significantly tougher than Kydex.

What someone should do is combine a molded belt pouch like the RCS or FAB design with a spring steel belt attachment similar to DCC. That would be a durable, slim, and easy on/off design.

LittleLebowski
07-11-2021, 11:16 AM
I’m happy to pay $40 for something designed and made in the US like this.

Clusterfrack
07-11-2021, 11:42 AM

Wilderness products are made in the USA. I like their pouches a lot.

Trukinjp13
07-11-2021, 11:47 PM
If it works and does the job as it should. I’d happily drop 40$.

Lots of fluff in holster world nowadays and most are complete garbage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rob_s
07-12-2021, 05:43 AM

It’s an interesting question.

I’m not gonna lie, when I first saw the thread, and clicked on the link, I thought “I wouldn’t pay $40 for that thing either”. But when I saw your post I started looking around.

Some of what I’ve seen people reference or link to I don’t think is comparable. Anything nylon, like The Wilderness (https://www.thewilderness.com/magazine-speedloader-and-ammo-carriers/223-mag-pouch/) for $35, not comparable. Anything with a “pancake style”, like Blade-Tech (https://benstoegerproshop.com/blade-tech-signature-ar-magazine-pouch-w-tek-lok/) with the screws off to the side for $35, not comparable.

The Ready Tactical (https://skdtac.com/ready-tactical-ar15-ambi-speed-mag-pouch/)for $28 would be the closest thing IMO in terms of function (no pancake, clip on/off, reversible) and the material still it’s the same. This has been my personal go-to for ages.

Another option that possibly has a similar overall function but trades a little more bulk and complexity for more versatility would be the HSGI Polymer Taco (https://www.highspeedgear.com/16ta00) for $34 (but you have to buy an easy on/off clip separately like the $12 Tek-Lok (https://benstoegerproshop.com/blade-tech-tek-lok-holster-mag-pouch-attachment-mount/), asking it more than $40, generally). I have a couple of these for the AK I’ve never shot and therefore have never used them.

The funnel feature of the Raven pouch, and the material, are two things that in think set it apart and make it such that ic can’t think of, or find, it’s true equal.

So, given that the competing products are al $28-$46, and have either less or different features, it looks to me like $40 is probably a fair market price.

But I still don’t think I’d pay it.

If I was still shooting thousands of 5.56 rounds/year when I once did when I was in my Tigger phase maybe, but now that I’m in a Poo phase (or maybe it’s Eeyore) I wouldn’t bother given the number of Tacos and Ready Tacs I already have on hand.

If someone else asked me “hey, I’m getting into ARs and need a couple of mag pouches to go take a class” I don’t know that I’d recommend the Raven at $12/ea more than the Ready Tac either. *Maybe* if someone had been shooting for a minute, or been to their first course with some junky surplus crap or some crazy load carrying rig and finally had their head-pop-out-of-ass moment and realized that they need something less ninja than a military solution but less stupid than a pocket, the Raven would likely be my suggested product.

That said, it does appear to be a well-thought-out and well-designed product.

ETA:
The definition of the name is amusing/interesting/fitting.

lic·tor
/ˈliktər/
noun
(in ancient Rome) an officer attending the consul or other magistrate, bearing the fasces, and executing sentences on offenders.

Erick Gelhaus
07-12-2021, 05:31 PM
Wilderness products are made in the USA. I like their pouches a lot.

I've had (and used) one of their AR mag pouches for years. But I did it on my duty belt or when teaching and everything was exposed. The Wilderness pouch has a large, obvious appearance - not necessarily suitable for concealment, unless it's empty.

frozentundra
07-12-2021, 08:27 PM
https://www.blueforcegear.com/ten-speed-single-m4-mag-pouch.html
Made in USA. Different way to skin cat. Still over $30.

I think $40 Lictor is great for what it is.

Pretty much every Fobus mag pouch is priced between $35 to $45 dollars on Optic Planet.
https://www.opticsplanet.com/fobus-pouches.html

I don't expect RCS to have to undercut Fobus prices.

ECVMatt
07-12-2021, 08:33 PM
Well the mag pouch arrived today and my initial impression is very good. I will get some mags out later tonight, but after four pages of speculation I thought I would get some quick pictures up. I appreciate everyone's input and checked out all of the other similar products. They all seem to be within + - $10 of each other in terms of price. So those still interested, here you go:

First off, this packaging alone made the whole purchase worthwhile and likely to buy another:

The pouch comes nicely packaged and even has instructions for use:

Overall finish and appearance is top notch and seems more refined than some of the other offerings:

Before I run and get some magazines to test fit and function, a poster likened this product to a plastic cup with a belt loop and some screws so I thought I would add some comparison photos so we call judge for ourselves:

Here are some side by sides for reference:

Right off the bat it is apparent that the plastic cup is both taller and wider than the RC Lictor. The cup would also take up more space on the belt and be more likely to print if used concealed. Lastly there might be some durability issues with the cup although because they are so inexpensive I splurged and used two. I could see some applications for the cup pouch at a BBQ, cornhole match or keg party.

That is it for now. I will post some additional photos with different magazined inserted. I also hope to follow up with a durability test in a couple of weeks. I am planning on heading out to the desert and will do a 25 mile ATV ride with both pouches on my belt to see how they hold up.

More to come!

GJM
07-12-2021, 08:33 PM
After rob_s went to all that work, I decided to order one. I figured if Biden makes everything magazine fed illegal later this summer, I can still stick a shot shell card in one.

Clusterfrack
07-12-2021, 10:01 PM
@ECVMatt wins the Pistol-Forum product review of the day award! Unfortunately because the Mods Are Shit™, I have no actual prize to award.

ECVMatt
07-13-2021, 07:04 PM
I don't know why I did not notice this yesterday, but it looks like there could be additional products offered on the Lictor line...

I don't think I have seen these magazine pouches on the website.

Willard
07-15-2021, 09:22 PM
https://milspecmonkey.com/store/pouches-panels/824-itw-fastmag-556-gen4.html

Comparable price to my preferred option (not from this vendor...just what happened to come up in a search) but lower profile.

Not a bad option, but I would stay with what I know for same price as I don't need extra concealment with AR. Other's mileage may vary.

Default.mp3
07-15-2021, 09:53 PM

Comparable price to my preferred option (not from this vendor...just what happened to come up in a search) but lower profile.

Not a bad option, but I would stay with what I know for same price as I don't need extra concealment with AR. Other's mileage may vary.Do the Gen4s work with the Magpul PMAG M3s without modification? The Gen3s did not, due to the new overinsertion tabs on the PMAG M3s.

rob_s
07-16-2021, 05:22 AM

Not a bad option, but I would stay with what I know for same price as I don't need extra concealment with AR. Other's mileage may vary.

God, I forgot about those entirely. I’m rather shocked they’re still made, actually.

There are benefits to products designed for “concealment” provided they don’t sacrifice other features, even for those not looking to “conceal”. Chief among them, for me, is the lower profile and reduced bulk.

Rex G
07-16-2021, 09:00 AM
I like the images of this new RCS Lictor mag pouch; enough to order two, or a few. I had been down on RCS, since the Phantom, and some other molded Kydex products went away. This will pull me back in.

Edited to add: Too bad about that drain hole, though. I wanted to use one as a drinking cup. ;)

Willard
07-16-2021, 03:10 PM
Do the Gen4s work with the Magpul PMAG M3s without modification? The Gen3s did not, due to the new overinsertion tabs on the PMAG M3s.

Yes.

GJM
07-16-2021, 05:12 PM

vcdgrips
07-16-2021, 05:24 PM
Nice between those, and the Safariland Model 71 Universal Pouch (w accordion style sides) you recommended years ago, I will be in good shape for Made in the USA, hard use gear that will likely work exceptionally for years to come that did not cost and arm/leg and is readily available.

Willard
07-16-2021, 08:13 PM
There are benefits to products designed for “concealment” provided they don’t sacrifice other features, even for those not looking to “conceal”. Chief among them, for me, is the lower profile and reduced bulk.

No argument there. Lower profile and reduced bulk is preferable IF buying from scratch with no surplus of acceptable (for me) similar items already on hand. I have multiple examples of the Fast Mag and it works fine for my uses. Needs vs Wants I guess.

rob_s
07-17-2021, 08:43 AM
No argument there. Lower profile and reduced bulk is preferable IF buying from scratch with no surplus of acceptable (for me) similar items already on hand. I have multiple examples of the Fast Mag and it works fine for my uses. Needs vs Wants I guess.

Yeah, like I said above, I’m not rushing out to replace my Ready Tacs with the Raven product either.

But I do think I can make an argument that the Raven is better(tm).

JTQ
06-09-2022, 07:43 AM
I don't know why I did not notice this yesterday, but it looks like there could be additional products offered on the Lictor line...

I don't think I have seen these magazine pouches on the website.
I know this started as an AR mag pouch thread, but has anybody tried the Lictor G9 pistol mag pouches?

https://rcsgear.com/lictor-g9-pistol-magazine-carrier

Thy.Will.Be.Done
06-09-2022, 08:03 AM
I know this started as an AR mag pouch thread, but has anybody tried the Lictor G9 pistol mag pouches?

Yes, I'm pretty happy with the way they function and retain magazines of different varieties. I think you'll be happy and they offer them in FDE now, so there's that too... :)

Thy.Will.Be.Done
06-09-2022, 08:10 AM
I am a kydex guy. I have been a kydex guy since the early 90's when shooting buddies brought me back "Mad Dog" kydex. I have been a kydex guy since Blade tech had the ixthus (fish) stamped on everything he sold.

I am wearing a kydex holster right now ( legacy graith/mastermind tactics).

Kydex is great right up until it cracks.

The magic of RCS is that they came to understand that and went all in on the injection molded stuff such that cracking and thereby coming out of service at the worst possible time is all but eliminated.

Please post up when you get these mag carriers in hand and have wrung them out a bit.

This is why I pretty much buy everything from them now but if companies like Tenicor and PHLster changed to injection-molded goods I'd buy alot more from them. Bonus points are you can leave them in your car as spares or secondary carry options to repurpose your gear for the environment you find yourself in. I'd never dream of leaving kydex in a hot car in FL without fear or it being destroyed rather abrubptly.

I just DON'T care for kydex, I've always had a distaste for the touch/feel of PVC and kydex is very similar chemically and there's just always been something offputting about kydex because of that. I get that it's easy for anyone to start molding but that doesn't make it the most suitable material. I think this is especially true for knife sheaths where strength is a real concern to me, case in point Abe and Moe's sheath. https://abeandmoe.com/sheath-of-the-future.html

But look at that price, lol. Ideal but certainly not practical or easily done for any given knife but kydex sure scores points there if nothing else.

ECVMatt
06-09-2022, 08:59 AM

I also have the pistol mag pouches and they are working out great. I purchased them based off of my experience with the AR magazine pouch. I use them when I am on my ATV is the desert and they have held up great so far. I don't have a ton of time on them, but the pouch is comfortable, the magazines are secure, and they are also easy to extract.

I know they cost more than the run-of-mill Amazon kydex mag pouches, but I don't mind paying a bit more for quality.

Oldherkpilot
06-09-2022, 11:53 AM
You guys are all talking about a $40 mag pouch but the link shows a price of $49.99. Glad I don't need another one!

Thy.Will.Be.Done
06-09-2022, 12:04 PM
You guys are all talking about a $40 mag pouch but the link shows a price of $49.99. Glad I don't need another one!

Create an account there and put them in your cart and wait. You'll get an email with 20% off coupon, bingo, boingo.

Casual Friday
06-09-2022, 12:44 PM

Things are more expensive in the summer of 2022 than they were in the summer of 2021.

Oldherkpilot
06-09-2022, 03:54 PM
Things are more expensive in the summer of 2022 than they were in the summer of 2021.

Thanks for letting me down easy. Some days I'm a little slow and others its even worse.

guymontag
07-14-2022, 11:45 AM
Probably the closest piece of gear I've seen are the G-code pouches and also this one from FAB:

https://www.fab-defense.com/en/category-magazines-and-accessories/id-216/m4-magazine-pouch.html

It seems to sell for $18-25 across the web. Amazon actually has it for $18 with Prime which is a tempting buy.

I snagged one of these for $22 shipped after reading positive reviews on it - likely made in Israel based on a cursory search.