PDA

View Full Version : For when a plant laughs at RoundUp

LittleLebowski
07-09-2021, 10:04 AM
In my case, the hated Smilax/greenbrier (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smilax) climbing weed that spreads everywhere and turns into thickets. 2, 4-D Crossbow herbicide (https://www.amazon.com/Southern-Ag-CROSSBOW32-Specialty-Herbicide/dp/B00D0JHB5K) works. I hate greenbrier. It's impossible to wipe out without Crossbow. Crossbow also fucks up poison ivy/oak/sumac.

OlongJohnson
07-09-2021, 11:15 AM
I tried RU a couple years ago. Killed weeds, but they soon came back bigger, greener and more vigorous than they'd ever been before. Meanwhile, hitting a few spots around the edges of my lawn where the weeds were dominating ended up taking out half the grass in the lawn for the whole year.

Never again with that crap.

Hambo
07-09-2021, 11:36 AM
I tried RU a couple years ago. Killed weeds, but they soon came back bigger, greener and more vigorous than they'd ever been before. Meanwhile, hitting a few spots around the edges of my lawn where the weeds were dominating ended up taking out half the grass in the lawn for the whole year.

Never again with that crap.

The weeds you sprayed died. Glyphosate only works on leafy plants, so what popped up was an inevitable crop of new plants.

BehindBlueI's
07-09-2021, 06:01 PM
Propane torch. Kills the plant, kills seeds on the ground, and usually damages the root system badly enough they don't come back for quite awhile.

Down side: It's kind of heavy to drag around, and of course you can't use it near things that you don't want to get really hot/on fire. I burn my chain link fence property line but not the privacy fence line for the obvious reasons.

Rick R
07-09-2021, 06:26 PM
Propane torch.
Down side: It's kind of heavy to drag around.

I bought an el cheapo dolly at the farm store and bungied the propane tank to it. Makes the whole rig much more portable.

LittleLebowski
07-09-2021, 07:01 PM
Propane torch. Kills the plant, kills seeds on the ground, and usually damages the root system badly enough they don't come back for quite awhile.

Down side: It's kind of heavy to drag around, and of course you can't use it near things that you don't want to get really hot/on fire. I burn my chain link fence property line but not the privacy fence line for the obvious reasons.

Got one. Greenbrier comes back from that. I do love my propane torch, though. The local yellowjackets aren’t fans however.

DDTSGM
07-09-2021, 08:15 PM
LL - have you tried brush killer?

BehindBlueI's
07-09-2021, 08:22 PM
Got one. Greenbrier comes back from that. I do love my propane torch, though. The local yellowjackets aren’t fans however.

The only logical next step is to raise goats.

UNK
07-09-2021, 08:22 PM
Have you tried diesel?
I used RU to kill some type of violet. The local shop told me it wouldnt work but repeated applications during one summer did kill them. So maybe the answer if to mix it strong and spray every few weeks till its dead. I dont know anything about that particular plant. Can you get to the point where it comes out of the ground and dig it up? I did that with a yard that was almost completely overgrown with honey suckle.

camel
07-09-2021, 08:33 PM

Fire and salt kills all. Just be careful

Caballoflaco
07-09-2021, 08:56 PM
Whenever I have to deal with a problem weed/plant at work I’ll do a google search on said plant and start clicking links from university or state agricultural extensions.
Round Up will work on smilax, but not at the concentrations you probably used. And like any plant with a large starch filled tuber it may take a few applications to act.

https://extension.uga.edu/publications/detail.html?number=C867-2&title=Controlling%20Greenbrier

Tensaw
07-09-2021, 09:24 PM
Note that fire will ruin galvanized fence - so I’m told.

Welder
07-09-2021, 11:54 PM
Note that fire will ruin galvanized fence - so I’m told.

Absolutely; galvanizing is just a sacrificial zince surface treatement, and Zn has a relatively low melting point. Add a little heat and galvanization disappears.

On the weeds, it's been decades ago, but Roundup was always considered to be a grass killer. So it may kill some broadleaf plants as well, but that's not really what it was designed for and no farmers used it as such. 2,4-D and Banvel were often mixed with Roundup to create a kills-most-anything cocktail. These days there are much newer things on the market.

On a side note, Roundup *may* be effective on greenbrier if you first cut the brier itself and then immediately spray or brush the Roundup onto the cut 'stump' of the weed. I worked with an arborist that killed Ailanthus trees (also called Tree of Heaven, an invasive species) by cutting them off a foot above ground and then painting them with concentrated Roundup. Otherwise the root ball would continue to send up new shoots. Once the tree had sucked the Roundup down into itself and died, you could come back and make the flush cut.

Jim Watson
07-10-2021, 12:56 AM
Yup. Sure kill for bamboo. Two workers, one cuts, the other immediately wipes the cut with Roundup concentrate.

AKDoug
07-10-2021, 02:24 AM
Crossbow is good stuff and my go-to killer.

lwt16
07-10-2021, 10:26 AM

Will Crossbow kill this? So far, it’s immune to

2-4d
Tenacity
Spurge killer
Me stomping the urine out of it in old man frustrations.

Regards

Welder
07-10-2021, 03:07 PM
If there's nothing else on the ground that you want alive in the immediate area, you can always use a soil sterilizer like Pramitol. It leaves nothing but scorched earth behind for a year or more depending on dosage. Don't use on a hillside -- runoff is a thing and it'll kill anything with roots downhill of the application area.

We used to use it in pellet form on Johnson Grass. Sometimes the kill areas would remain for several years.

Risto
07-10-2021, 03:10 PM
I’ve had luck with Milestone for knapweed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fly out
07-10-2021, 05:10 PM
I bought an el cheapo dolly at the farm store and bungied the propane tank to it. Makes the whole rig much more portable.

An older, no-frills push cart intended for a golf bag is light and collapsible. Mine was $5 at a local charity's resale shop.

I'd be surprised if Bonide's Stump and Vine Killer (https://bonide.com/product/stump-vine-killer/) doesn't wipe out greenbrier, but I've never had to try. The cap has a little applicator brush built right in.