PDA

View Full Version : Austin TX relocation info needed - not me BTW.

Al T.
07-25-2012, 10:50 AM
My cousin is scheduled to attend grad school in Austin. We looked over locations via Google and I discovered that my frequent visits 27 years ago are rather, uh, dated. :D

So, we are looking for some general guidelines about areas of Austin to avoid or areas to favor as regards housing, probably an apartment. Her school is located in the SW area of Austin. The school is a Chinese medicine school. Here's the link:

https://www.aoma.edu/

Address is 4701 West Gate Blvd. Austin, TX 78745

Of course any other 411 that folks familiar with the area would think important or useful would be greatly welcomed.

Sheep Have Wool
07-25-2012, 11:05 AM
My cousin is scheduled to attend grad school in Austin. We looked over locations via Google and I discovered that my frequent visits 27 years ago are rather, uh, dated. :D

So, we are looking for some general guidelines about areas of Austin to avoid or areas to favor as regards housing, probably an apartment. Her school is located in the SW area of Austin. The school is a Chinese medicine school. Here's the link:

https://www.aoma.edu/

Address is 4701 West Gate Blvd. Austin, TX 78745

Of course any other 411 that folks familiar with the area would think important or useful would be greatly welcomed.

I lived in SW Austin until about 5 years ago. She's moving to a great town! The areas south and east around Westgate aren't fantastic. For student-income level housing, I'd suggest she look farther west. There are some decently affordable apartments along Slaughter Lane, William Cannon (west of Brodie), Mopac/Loop 1, and along Brodie Lane. I also noticed that that a ton of apartments have gone up in the Oak Hill area recently, which might get you more apartment for your money, but a longer commute into town.

In general, Austin has a relatively smooth progression from good-->bad areas as you move west-->east.

ETA: Live music. Grab an Austin Chronicle (or check out their web site) and start Googling up bands. It's a fantastic place to be grad-school aged.

Al T.
07-25-2012, 12:38 PM
Thanks! :)

secondstoryguy
07-25-2012, 03:27 PM
I currently live in the south Austin area and have lived here pretty much my whole life. I'm in the Westgate area frequently as the martial arts gym I train at is just down the road from the school you mentioned. Westgate Ln has some lower end apartments scattered about but the area is generally good-to-go as many of these apartments are getting refurbed' due to housing prices going up. The area is relatively safe(about a 8 on scale of 1-10). Her school is located in an up-and-coming area with good food/restaurants , shopping and entertainment as well as readily accessible public transportation to the downtown area(Lamar Blvd is a large conduit to downtown). According to many folks I know who are in the market for a place to stay, there seems to be a housing shortage all over Austin and prices reflect it. As someone mentioned, there area several newer apartment complexes on William Cannon that might fit her needs. Drop me a PM if you have specific questions and I'll try my best to answer them.