PDA

View Full Version : Current crop of Digital Night Vision Scopes?

fatdog
06-29-2021, 02:54 PM
Starting Thursday, AL has legalized night hunting for the first time. Limited to coyotes and feral pigs. Prior to this, "being in the field" with any sort of NV or any weapon mounted light was considered a fish and game violation.

I doubt I am going to be harvesting any of the varmints in any volume, although my rural area is ate up with yotes and they routinely cross my fields at night and have killed at least two of our pets over the years. So I am no friend of theirs.

So my question for those who have used them, which, if any, of these digital night vision scopes work, and if so, to what range? I am going to mount one on an AR-15 and/or an AR-10, will run a suppressor, but realistically, shots are only going to be taken at 150 yards and closer.

I really don't need the sophisticated .mil type 3rd gen intensifier tube stuff as this is not some "tactical" use case, and I am not going to be invaiding a foreign country any time soon. I doubt I want to spend for the high end rifle mounted thermal stuff just yet if there is a decent digital night vision scope for that 150 yards or closer shot and I don't mind spending on simple IR illuminators if needed (but IR lasers are not under consideration).

All insights from actually using that newer digital stuff are appreciated.