PDA

View Full Version : Great Deal: 40% Altama

RevolverRob
06-28-2021, 10:08 PM
Folks know - I am a big fan of Altama's Maritime Assault - they have the non-water proof version the Urban Assault now too. I've daily worn Maritime assaults pretty much every day for ~4 years now.

Discount Code is 40Boom

https://originalfootwear.com/collections/altama

Here is the link to the original message: https://www.instagram.com/p/CQrFU8wLlJf/?utm_medium=copy_link

The Maritime Assaults are, unfortunately, made overseas these days. There are some limited runs from time-to-time made in the USA. But I don't think any of the Maritime or Urbans available right now are USA-made.

Guerrero
06-29-2021, 07:20 AM
Folks know - I am a big fan of Altama's Maritime Assault - they have the non-water proof version the Urban Assault now too. I've daily worn Maritime assaults pretty much every day for ~4 years now.

Discount Code is 40Boom

https://originalfootwear.com/collections/altama

Here is the link to the original message: https://www.instagram.com/p/CQrFU8wLlJf/?utm_medium=copy_link

The Maritime Assaults are, unfortunately, made overseas these days. There are some limited runs from time-to-time made in the USA. But I don't think any of the Maritime or Urbans available right now are USA-made.

So...

...they're tactical Vans (https://www.vans.com/shop/comfycush-old-skool-navy-stv-navy?icn=mens_sbs_old-skool)?

RevolverRob
06-29-2021, 08:30 AM
So...

...they're tactical Vans (https://www.vans.com/shop/comfycush-old-skool-navy-stv-navy?icn=mens_sbs_old-skool)?

"Tactical Chucks" is actually what they have been nicknamed.

Except way better than anything made by Vans or Converse.

Erik
06-29-2021, 08:47 AM
Hmm. My chucks are on their last...legs? What's the sizing like? Also, do they have any kind of arch support or are they flat inside, like chucks (which is what I need)? And why maritime vs, urban? Thanks.

RevolverRob
06-29-2021, 09:18 AM
Hmm. My chucks are on their last...legs? What's the sizing like? Also, do they have any kind of arch support or are they flat inside, like chucks (which is what I need)? And why maritime vs, urban? Thanks.

Sizing is true. I wear a size 9 and measure 9 on a Brannock device.

Decent arch support, but all in the insole which is removable. Once removed you'll get a flat Chuck feeling.

Urban vs. Maritime - Insole - the Maritime has a poly insole that won't absorb water making it "quick drying/waterproof". The Urban has a more traditional insole. For what its worth, I have not tried the Urbans out in person. I can only tell you the Maritime has a removable insole. However, if you contact Altama CS they usually respond quickly.

Seems like you'd want to remove/replace the insole so the cheaper Maritime would probably be the way to go.

Le Français
06-29-2021, 09:24 AM
I’ve worn the maritime ones for several years, and can confirm they are very durable. The regular size is a bit narrow, so I choose and recommend going up in width.

Rick R
06-29-2021, 09:46 AM
I have a pair of the Maritime in mid and my wife has a pair in low. We both love them. Sizing was true, the only real (or imagined) drawback is the mids seem a bit harder to put on. I wear them all day, the sole looks vestigial but you are stuck to what ever you’re walking on even when wet. No squeaking or noise when walking. Everything I like in a shoe/boot.

Thanks for the heads up! I now have a set of lows in coyote on order.

Erik
06-29-2021, 10:12 AM
Thanks guys. Looks like I might give these a try.

fatdog
06-29-2021, 11:18 AM
Another happy user of the maritime versions, both high and low cut. I never imagined it was possible for a set of tenny's to dry so fast as these do. I found sizing to be on target for me, 11D, same as my dress shoes and others.

WobblyPossum
06-29-2021, 07:00 PM
I bought a pair of the maritime mids a few weeks ago. I’m a 10 in most brands and ordered a size 10. The right shoe started pretty tight and took a few days to break in. Now they’re pretty comfortable. I’m not sold on the insole yet but I like the ankle support and the traction from the soles.

revchuck38
06-29-2021, 07:56 PM
I ordered a pair of the low ones in coyote. I need to start throwing some shoes out or I'll be in the running for the Imelda Marcos Award.

Gater
06-29-2021, 08:14 PM
I ordered a pair of the low ones in coyote. I need to start throwing some shoes out or I'll be in the running for the Imelda Marcos Award.

So get that! And nah, I think you're safe. Just don't ask me how I know...

ETA: Those maritime mids in OD look like sweet mini-jungles...hmm...

RevolverRob
06-29-2021, 09:30 PM
Since they're on sale, I suggested to Mrs. RR I complete my set and have a pair in every color way.

I received an emphatic, "No."

Unfortunately, I haven't yet fully destroyed a pair of these things. My oldest pair is 4-years old and still very serviceable. :eek:

Erik
07-03-2021, 02:25 PM
I ordered a pair of each (low and mid) maritime assaults. They arrived today. So far I like them. The sizing seems spot on and as long as they will loosen up just a little as they break in, I think these will be a hit. Do the insoles on these compress or conform to your foot at all? If so, they'll probably work out for me. If not, I may try a little minor surgery on them where the arch is. Thanks again RevolverRob for the heads up on the sale.

Coyotesfan97
07-03-2021, 02:37 PM
Once again Pistol-Forum costs me money. I got the low gray Maritimes.

fatdog
07-03-2021, 10:32 PM
I bought a pair of the waterproof abatabads, if they hold up as well and are as comfortable as the maratimes have been I will be very happy.

I think I am in year three with my original maratimes and see no signs of wear or deterioration other than the ends of the laces. RR put me on my first pair and I am grateful.

BehindBlueI's
07-03-2021, 10:35 PM
How's the width? Specifically in the toe box. Answer like you're talking to someone with duck feet.

Erik
07-03-2021, 10:43 PM
I have extremely wide feet and the wide/EEE are ok. Not roomy but comfortable.

entropy
07-04-2021, 07:33 AM
Damn this place!

Code still works. Just ordered a mid and a low.

Thankfully wife never blinks when it comes to buying shoes...🤔

SeriousStudent
07-04-2021, 08:12 AM
How's the width? Specifically in the toe box. Answer like you're talking to someone with duck feet.

Yeah, I like Keen's a lot for the roomy toe box. I just ordered a wide set of Maritimes.

Thanks for the heads-up, Rob!

entropy
07-09-2021, 01:56 PM
Update:

My two pairs (low top and high top) seem to be breaking in nicely. Wore the lows golfing yesterday. I agree that they may just be a “tad” >< narrow. Especially in the toe box. I replaced the seemingly non-compressible insoles with some foam ones. Much more comfortable and less constricting across the toe. I think that the heel cushion especially cramps the foot on these. Maybe once they stretch a bit, I can replace the foam cheapies I inserted. I think if I went wide or the next size up (11), they would be too big. I have hard to fit feet.

J0hnny
07-09-2021, 11:16 PM
These have forever replaced my Chuck Taylors. Casual and durable shoe boot.

Wise_A
07-10-2021, 06:40 PM
I'm currently sitting behind a desk, wearing 6" duty boots that have literally never seen dirt, wondering if anyone at management level will notice if I wear these instead, in much the same way as that nobody "notices" I swapped a Wilderness Tactical for the "official" Uncle Mike's belt road patrol gets issued.

breakingtime91
07-10-2021, 06:55 PM
I'm currently sitting behind a desk, wearing 6" duty boots that have literally never seen dirt, wondering if anyone at management level will notice if I wear these instead, in much the same way as that nobody "notices" I swapped a Wilderness Tactical for the "official" Uncle Mike's belt road patrol gets issued.

woobies are a good alternative to these. have had a pair for over a year and love them. stomped a snake to death at the school I teach at last year with them. 10/10 murder ready.

SeriousStudent
07-11-2021, 04:00 PM
Still waiting on mine to arrive.

Rick R
07-11-2021, 06:57 PM
My low tops got here a week or so ago. They fit as well as the mid highs I’ve had for about a year. Much easier to get on and off, probably not much ankle support either way. I am 110% satisfied with them and will rarely wear my Chucks from now on.

revchuck38
07-11-2021, 08:58 PM
I'm going to be the contrarian here. I got my low ones last week and wore them for a class today at KRTraining. They were just okay, and nowhere near as comfortable as my trailrunning shoes for an all-day class where you're on your feet almost the whole time. They're fine for daily wear though.

Shoresy
07-11-2021, 09:14 PM
Odd question - how stiff are the soles?

revchuck38
07-11-2021, 09:30 PM
Odd question - how stiff are the soles?

They’re not too stiff. I think the issue for me is that they’re not padded like trail shoes and the insole is relatively thin. New insoles might make a difference.

Seven_Sicks_Two
07-12-2021, 11:12 AM
Urban vs. Maritime - Insole - the Maritime has a poly insole that won't absorb water making it "quick drying/waterproof". The Urban has a more traditional insole. For what its worth, I have not tried the Urbans out in person. I can only tell you the Maritime has a removable insole. However, if you contact Altama CS they usually respond quickly.

Are these actually waterproof? Or just quick-draining and quick-drying?

It seems like the drain ports and such would allow your feet and socks to get wet while doing decidedly non-tactical things like, "walking around in a place where it rains a lot".

entropy
07-12-2021, 11:17 AM
They’re sneakers

Don’t overcomplicate it.

RevolverRob
07-12-2021, 11:21 AM

It seems like the drain ports and such would allow your feet and socks to get wet while doing decidedly non-tactical things like, "walking around in a place where it rains a lot".

Easy drain.

They definitely are not 'waterproof'. The insoles of Maritime are rubber and closed cell, they don't absorb moisture at all.

I have stepped in puddles before and actually find the drain holes and cross ventilation do work well for drying the foot, even when socks are worn.

Cecil Burch
07-12-2021, 12:13 PM
Got mine in on Thursday and wore them all weekend. They are already my favorites. No issue with the toe box, so they are really comfortable, and they look good.

Thanks for educating me on these1

Rick R
07-12-2021, 12:31 PM

I have a couple of pair of Keen sandals with a “Waterproof” tag sewn to a strap. I take “waterproof” in the case of those sandals, these Altama’s and my watch to mean that water won’t harm the product, not that the wearer won’t get wet.

Erik
07-13-2021, 09:54 PM
I found this to be spot on:

Update:

...seemingly non-compressible insoles...the heel cushion especially cramps the foot on these....

On top of that, because it's so non-compressible, the insole feels kind of hard where it conflicts with your feet, if you're one of the weird-shaped-foot people. I am. I have very wide, very flat feet so the arch support was uncomfortable and the heel was lifting the back of my foot up too much and kind of uncomfortable underfoot for me. So I took Rob's advice and removed the insole and replaced it with Spenco RX thin foam insoles: https://www.amazon.com/Spenco-Comfort-Lightweight-Cushioning-Orthotic/dp/B000S6JTMQ/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=spenco+rx&qid=1626230897&sr=8-3

They do the trick for me. I wouldn't mind if they had a little more cushion, but these are pretty comfortable for me and result in what seems to be basically a zero drop shoe, like Chucks but better shoes that are more comfortable and better looking, I think. There have been a few threads by people looking for shoes that fit wide, flat feet. I think these are worth a look.