PDA

View Full Version : Need To Replace 20 Year Old Maytag Dryer

blues
06-25-2021, 11:25 AM
With Speed Queen back ordered until next year, and not wanting to pay up front for something to be delivered many months from now, I was wondering if anyone can recommend a good, dependable, no frills, no bells and whistles dryer that can be purchased at Lowes or other big box store without waiting months.

I replaced the belt and rollers on the Maytag but it's still making a godawful racket, (while still drying the clothes and bedding).

I don't need wifi, bluetooth, or any doodads. Plain old manual controls are good enough.

Thoughts? Recommendations?

Thanks.

(I've heard various things about GE Commercial, (I'm very leery of anything branded GE), and Maytag Commercial but have not read enough yet to be convinced they are heavy duty.)

Caballoflaco
06-25-2021, 11:33 AM
For the man who enjoys scything this fits 99% of your posted criteria apart from being a mechanical dryer:

Unfortunately, I don’t have any experience with dryers made in the last decade to offer you any real help.

BobLoblaw
06-25-2021, 11:35 AM
My local repair guy recommended getting the cheapest name brand washer and dryer available because they're the easiest and cheapest to fix. His preference was Whirlpool and now we have everything Whirlpool. Haven't needed him since.

blues
06-25-2021, 11:36 AM
I already offered that solution, SkinnyHorse. My wife is not wild about all the sap, pollen, and bird shit that would fall upon her clean clothes and sheets.

Some people.

blues
06-25-2021, 11:37 AM
My local repair guy recommended getting the cheapest name brand washer and dryer available because they're the easiest and cheapest to fix. His preference was Whirlpool and now we have everything Whirlpool. Haven't needed him since.

How long has it been since "since" began?

BobLoblaw
06-25-2021, 11:43 AM
7-ish years. We sold the place this past year so I assume that one is still running. FWIW, we bought another set for the new house. I somewhat regret not going with the gas version this time but it worked well enough that I didn't want to mess up a good thing.

baddean
06-25-2021, 11:44 AM
Blues,
20 years is almost new for a Maytag.
Are you sure you haven't over looked something loose (change, keys, piece of brass)or a drum bearing you can replace?
My recent experience buying a washer and dryer involved taking lessons on how to fly the space shuttle.
"Doodads" doesn't begin to convey the complexity.
Ours are stacked due to limited space. My wife(5 ft) uses a stool to reach the dryer controls.
Also, what Bobloblaw said.

Jason M
06-25-2021, 11:48 AM
Do you have a Sears appliance clearance outlet near you? They have tons of deeply discounted items with a scratch here or a dent there. I got a Fisher-Paykel washer from there for under $300.

Spartan1980
06-25-2021, 11:49 AM
I stick with Whirlpool myself. My repairman is quite busy in my area and they quit working on LG and Samsung altogether due to lack of parts availability and that was done pre-COVID so it's been an ongoing concern. But what really sent me back to Whirlpool was my super fancy, $1400 front loading washer (Samsung) required servicing 3 times in about 6 years. I've never had a Whirlpool need that ever. Since then my Whirlpool Cabrio has went close to that timeframe with pretty heavy use and not needed a thing. #lessonlearned (https://pistol-forum.com/usertag.php?do=list&action=hash&hash=lessonlearned)

blues
06-25-2021, 11:50 AM
I dunno, baddean. My buddy / neighbor / repair guy, (who is the repair / maintenance guy for a local hotel), is going to stop by later and see if there is something we may have forgotten to replace...but at some point throwing money at an older machine is probably not the wisest course.

It could be a bearing, a support glide, I dunno. It's a pain in the ass taking out the drum and replacing, all the while not being able to see where the problem is...

blues
06-25-2021, 11:52 AM
Do you have a Sears appliance clearance outlet near you? They have tons of deeply discounted items with a scratch here or a dent there. I got a Fisher-Paykel washer from there for under $300.

Our local Sears store and then the local Kmart have gone the way of all things.

frank
06-25-2021, 11:52 AM

This is the exact same advice my guy gave - in 2001. The Whirlpool is still going.

baddean
06-25-2021, 11:56 AM
It could be a bearing, a support glide, I dunno. It's a pain in the ass taking out the drum and replacing, all the while not being able to see where the problem is...

I hear ya! Been there. Hence, the new washer and dryer.

trailrunner
06-25-2021, 02:23 PM
Since you mentioned Speed Queen in your original post - We bought a SQ washer-dryer pair about 3 years ago, and haven't been too happy with them. The light in the dryer died within about 4 months after we bought it, but it wasn't covered by warranty. No big deal - we bought another light, but it died in about the same time. The washer does funny thing where it simply won't start. We discovered that if we unplug it, wait a few seconds, and plug it back in, it will work, but for a brand that advertises itself as having minimal fancy electronics, this is a little annoying.

MickAK
06-25-2021, 02:36 PM
(I've heard various things about GE Commercial, (I'm very leery of anything branded GE), and Maytag Commercial but have not read enough yet to be convinced they are heavy duty.)

Maytag Commercial with the green start button.

There are other things labeled 'Maytag Commercial' but the one with the green start button lacks the electronics that fail so often. All old style twist dials. Built solid as hell.

Unfortunately Lowes won't have them because they can't sell you another one in two years. You'll have to try a couple different appliance dealers most likely but in my opinion they're worth the hunt. I can fix things but I don't like to.

LJP
06-25-2021, 03:45 PM
We went with LG recently. That doesn’t meet your requirement of minimal bells and whistles, but so far we’re happy. Had a GE, won’t be going that route again for a variety of reasons. Avoid Samsung. That’s consistent among all the service techs and salespeople we talked to prior to purchase.

lwt16
06-25-2021, 03:54 PM
Did you replace the felt seal on the drum?

https://youtu.be/b7bx7AoVRqQ

I had a dryer that sounded like a shoe was in it. Replaced the felt seal and it ran smooth and quiet.

Regards

blues
06-25-2021, 03:55 PM
Did you replace the felt seal on the drum?

https://youtu.be/b7bx7AoVRqQ

I had a dryer that sounded like a shoe was in it. Replaced the felt seal and it ran smooth and quiet.

Regards

No, I wondered about that.

lwt16
06-25-2021, 04:14 PM
No, I wondered about that.

Mine was old and it ran like new after that simple change.

Easy job. Cost 40 bucks cause I ordered OEM seal.

rd62
06-25-2021, 04:25 PM
We had a lightning strike a few years ago and had to replace our washer and dryer. We bought some fancy Samsungs that turned out to be POS in short order. After just a couple of years I had to replace the dryer and this time went with a very basic Whirpool. We never used any of the fancy doodads anyway but with three kids between 8 and 16 we wash ALOT of clothes on the regular. Very happy with it thus far.

farscott
06-25-2021, 04:49 PM
Just went through this. Ended up calling a lot of smaller independent appliance stores until we found the Speed Queen my wife wanted. It took about two months of calling the dealers, so it was not pleasant. I feel your pain.

I would take apart the current unit. Dryers are pretty simple, and I bet you will be able to see the issue and figure out if you need a new part or to tighten something. If you need a part, that may be problematic but there are some decent parts stores. I have used these guys with success. https://www.a-1appliance.com. I recommend calling them with a picture of the label (model/serial number) and tell them what you are experiencing.

blues
06-25-2021, 04:53 PM
Just went through this. Ended up calling a lot of smaller independent appliance stores until we found the Speed Queen my wife wanted. It took about two months of calling the dealers, so it was not pleasant. I feel your pain.

I would take apart the current unit. Dryers are pretty simple, and I bet you will be able to see the issue and figure out if you need a new part or to tighten something. If you need a part, that may be problematic but there are some decent parts stores. I have used these guys with success. https://www.a-1appliance.com. I recommend calling them with a picture of the label (model/serial number) and tell them what you are experiencing.

I've already replaced belt and rollers. It's not getting the parts...it's that I may have just as well spent the money on a new machine by the end of replacing the parts...with no guarantee of either successfully dealing with the issues, or promise of longevity. (Motor could still fail...heating element, etc.)

I was hoping to be able to use it until the Speed Queens were available, but I'll be damned if I'm going to give some company a couple grand up front and wait until next year for the items.

So, quick and dirty solution may be what I end up with, even if not ideal. Time will tell.

Guerrero
06-25-2021, 05:11 PM
blues did you check the blower wheel? I have an almost 25-year old no-frills Maytag dryer, and I've replaced the blower wheel (squirrel-cage fan like thingy) on it about three times. Replacement part is about $15 from Amazon.

blues
06-25-2021, 05:28 PM
blues did you check the blower wheel? I have an almost 25-year old no-frills Maytag dryer, and I've replaced the blower wheel (squirrel-cage fan like thingy) on it about three times. Replacement part is about $15 from Amazon.

What were the symptoms? I'm trying to diagnose sounds.

Guerrero
06-25-2021, 06:54 PM
What were the symptoms? I'm trying to diagnose sounds.

Horrible rattling noise, clothes don't dry well. I think you can cause the noise if you manually spin the drum.

blues
06-25-2021, 06:56 PM
Horrible rattling noise, clothes don't dry well. I think you can cause the noise if you manually spin the drum.

I've got a rattle...might have to look into it.

Guerrero
06-25-2021, 07:00 PM
I've got a rattle...might have to look into it.

If your Maytag is like mine, if you're looking at the front of it, the blower wheel is in the lower right corner. Listen there for the rattle. The blower wheel is only plastic and the wheel itself can break off its central shaft, causing the rattling and reduced air flow through the dryer.

blues
06-25-2021, 07:06 PM
If your Maytag is like mine, if you're looking at the front of it, the blower wheel is in the lower right corner. Listen there for the rattle. The blower wheel is only plastic and the wheel itself can break off its central shaft, causing the rattling and reduced air flow through the dryer.

This is what mine looks like inside...controls may be slightly different but the guts and layout are virtually identical:

https://youtu.be/uee5SL8MEqs

Guerrero
06-25-2021, 07:10 PM
This is what mine looks like inside...controls may be slightly different but the guts and layout are virtually identical:

https://youtu.be/uee5SL8MEqs

Yup, mine is really similar. If you look at 1:05 in the video, you can see the blower wheel in the lower *left*

blues
06-25-2021, 07:13 PM
Yeah, I was showing you that to illustrate the different layout in our models. Different type wheels from one unit to another. That wheel is like the exhaust fan in my master bath setup with a couple of lights, heating element and exhaust fan.

Anyway, we'll see where this tale of woe goes from here.

Now it's time for hockey...and maybe a little baseball.

UNK
06-25-2021, 09:42 PM
Yeah, I was showing you that to illustrate the different layout in our models. Different type wheels from one unit to another. That wheel is like the exhaust fan in my master bath setup with a couple of lights, heating element and exhaust fan.

Anyway, we'll see where this tale of woe goes from here.

Now it's time for hockey...and maybe a little baseball.

My personal opinion is fix it. The new ones are stupid expensive and board driven. Those boards are expensive like maybe 150 or so plus the repair cost. I was forced to replace my washer because the old one was rusting out or I would have kept it forever. There are parts stores online that have videos on self diagnosing and of course sell you the parts to fix it. Ive seen parts 75% less than buying it from the local parts store. Hope that helps.

UNM1136
06-26-2021, 01:52 PM
A co worker was recently asking so he could outfit his new house. Recommended LG because of our 16 year old model. Literally, within 72 hours of my recommendation, my wife had smoke pouring out of the wash drum of ours. Ordered a new one. Delivery guy is also a repair guy. Recommended for durabily Maytag, Whirlpool, and LG, in that order (while doing a contract delivery for another retailer of an LG washer).

pat

blues
06-26-2021, 01:57 PM
A co worker was recently asking so he could outfit his new house. Recommended LG because of our 16 year old model. Literally, within 72 hours of my recommendation, my wife had smoke pouring out of the wash drum of ours. Ordered a new one. Delivery guy is also a repair guy. Recommended for durabily Maytag, Whirlpool, and LG, in that order (while doing a contract delivery for another retailer of an LG washer).

pat

Everything I read from "experts" online is that Maytag and Whirlpool (same company now) are not the products they were of yesteryear. (What is?)

I'll probably end up replacing it as I'll only have to keep trying to figure out what it is, buy parts and pay my neighbor for his time.

The problem is, I've been spoiled by all these years of good service from most of our appliances. Even on our Maytag oven, I've only had to replace the heating element in the oven a couple of times in the past several years. And I could find those elements for like $15 on amazon.

blues
07-01-2021, 05:20 PM
Buddy came over this afternoon and we checked out the blower wheel and it definitely is out of spec and able to spin independent of motor shaft.

Ordered on on amazon and it should be here on Tuesday. Could definitely tell it was making a racket.

Thanks, guys. Hopefully this will put an end to the drama.

You guys are okay for a bunch of privileged so and sos.

Joe in PNG
07-01-2021, 11:25 PM
I was going to mention that the trick to clotheslines is to dry under cover- inside the lanai or under your porch.
My personal preference is to line dry from sopping wet to slightly damp, then finish inside my (22 year old) dryer.

UNK
07-02-2021, 01:59 PM
Buddy came over this afternoon and we checked out the blower wheel and it definitely is out of spec and able to spin independent of motor shaft.

Ordered on on amazon and it should be here on Tuesday. Could definitely tell it was making a racket.

Thanks, guys. Hopefully this will put an end to the drama.

You guys are okay for a bunch of privileged so and sos.

If its gas be sure to vacumn it out when youve got it apart. They all accumulate lint inside, lint and gas is a no go.

blues
07-02-2021, 01:59 PM
If its gas be sure to vacumn it out when youve got it apart. They all accumulate lint inside, lint and gas is a no go.

Not gas.

Guerrero
07-02-2021, 05:49 PM
Not gas.

Even if it's not gas, make sure you clean out the blower wheel area well, it can clog if (like mine) the lint screen is crap.

blues
07-02-2021, 05:51 PM
Even if it's not gas, make sure you clean out the blower wheel area well, it can clog if (like mine) the lint screen is crap.

Yeah, I couldn't help doing that every time we unbuttoned the dryer. Thing is a filth magnet. I've got lint down there that probably dates back to the Cherokees.

blues
07-07-2021, 03:42 PM
I love the sound of a new blower wheel in the afternoon...

...It sounds like victory!

Thank you, gentlemen!!!

Shotgun
07-07-2021, 03:51 PM
I was wondering if anyone can recommend a good, dependable, no frills, no bells and whistles dryer that can be purchased at Lowes or other big box store without waiting months.

Thoughts? Recommendations?

All you need is a wife and a clothesline. The clothesline can be had at Lowe's for a few dollars. Wives are danged expensive, especially happy ones.

jeremy_[
07-07-2021, 05:19 PM
Well, being the boring individual I am, I have a fair amount of experience working for the appliance industry as a mechanical engineer. I would suggest the cheapest Maytag commercial unit that's plain and basic. I also wouldn't have any qualms with buying one used, or older Speed Queen, that is in good running order.

blues
07-07-2021, 05:37 PM
Well, being the boring individual I am, I have a fair amount of experience working for the appliance industry as a mechanical engineer. I would suggest the cheapest Maytag commercial unit that's plain and basic. I also wouldn't have any qualms with buying one used, or older Speed Queen, that is in good running order.

Hopefully I won't need to for a while, now.

Lex Luthier
07-07-2021, 08:27 PM

Thank you, gentlemen!!!

Excellent news.

blues
07-07-2021, 08:52 PM
Excellent news.

Yes.

(Hopefully for more than the moment. :cool:)

UNK
07-07-2021, 09:52 PM

I got mine used. High capacity humidity sensor. Ive replaced a belt and the gas valve. If I ever need to throw some parts at it I wouldnt hesitate.

Guerrero
07-08-2021, 12:29 PM

Thank you, gentlemen!!!

Glad I was able to contribute *something* useful to the forum.

blues
07-08-2021, 12:36 PM
Glad I was able to contribute *something* useful to the forum.

Don't let it go to your head.

;)

1slow
02-17-2023, 01:19 AM
PAST 2020

Have Samsung HE washer & dryer. About 8 years.
Have had to replace:
Dryer belt twice , heating element assembly, wheels twice ( buy OEM wheels).

DO NOT BUY EXTENDED WARRANTY HOME SERVICE, THEY ARE OUT OF 3RD WORLD CALL CENTER, DO NOT SHOW UP FOR MONTHS AND THEN DO NOT HAVE THE PARTS.

You tube is your friend. RepairClinic is helpful.
I repaired dryer, LG dishwasher fairly easily. No waiting for help, cheaper. I live in the sticks.

Semi related if you do heavy baking Kitchen Aid mixers do not hold up, plastic gear for the past several years no longer made by Hobart. Broke 2 one twice in normal use.
Hobart Mixer holds up but is expensive $2400 aprox.
—————————————
2/16/23
NOW 11 + years old

Past repairs 2020 new wheels and need a belt about $470 = $200 + heating assembly $180 + $90 (2 belts)

Just put in new wheels and need a belt about $200 with belt.

Bump . bump is notch in wheel, moan is wheel sticking.

H.E. SUCKS WET WORMY DOG SHIT !

HeavyDuty
02-17-2023, 07:53 AM
Washing appliances pretty much all suck these days. SWMBO insisted on another GE dryer last weekend when we had to replace her four year old gas one with electric, but after opening up the old one to convert it to LP (long story)… I ain’t impressed. Light weight stampings and generally crappy construction, and this in their mid to high tier model.

We had an early front load Maytag HE set that we purchased in 2002, the washer only lasted until 2014 - with only two adults in the house, so not much use.

farscott
02-17-2023, 01:07 PM
We moved my wife's Speed Queen dryer from AL to our new home in FL. The FL home came with a GE laundry pair. I pulled out the GE dryer and moved it to the garage on a dolly. I then moved the Speed Queen dryer to the laundry room on the same dolly. It was remarkably heavier and stiffer. I would guess the Speed Queen weighed 60% more than the GE.

Tabasco
02-17-2023, 04:58 PM
Did you know...
Fritz Maytag, the son of the founder and inheritor of the Maytag fortune is responsible for Anchor Steam beer and Maytag blue cheese? He basically started the craft beer revolution with Anchor Brewing in San Francisco.

Borderland
02-17-2023, 07:31 PM
My wife has Maytag MCT (Maytag Commercial Technology) washer and dryer. She said she wanted new matching W/D. Off course I said there's nothing wrong with the old stuff I had when we were married. No dice. So I said just buy whatever you want and I'm out of the equation. I learned that's the best POA along time ago because anything that won't work is then my fault for suggesting it. So she spent an insane amount of money for a set about 10 years ago. I think the washer was serviced once in that time. Plate on the face says 10 year warranty so I guess it's top of the line. IDK because it's not my department and I don't use them.

So Maytag if you have to buy new. Prices are insane but everything is these days. OK boomer.

Borderland
02-17-2023, 08:12 PM
Washing appliances pretty much all suck these days. SWMBO insisted on another GE dryer last weekend when we had to replace her four year old gas one with electric, but after opening up the old one to convert it to LP (long story)… I ain’t impressed. Light weight stampings and generally crappy construction, and this in their mid to high tier model.

We had an early front load Maytag HE set that we purchased in 2002, the washer only lasted until 2014 - with only two adults in the house, so not much use.

I think they're all made in MX these days. Parts availability is probably going to be the biggest factor for any of them. If China has anything to do with it I'd stay away.

I'd probably talk to a repair guy, not a sales person, before I bought anything new.

Just had a service guy in here yesterday for the water heater. He said buy American made anything if you can. Said the HWH was American made and a good one. I feel kind of stupid because I thought a thermostat or element was bad. Turns out it was the temp setting was too low. I guess I'm just old school. Yard it out-a-here and replace it. He said that was common in the business a long time ago. We had a good laugh.

I googled Maytag and Mexico just now and had this popup.

Hello, are you thinking about manufacturing in Mexico?

My name is Ricardo. If you have any questions about costs, locations, labor, skills, logistics, regulations, etc., I am happy to answer them.

I'm glad Ricardo reached out to me. Was Ricardo a bot? ;)

Oldherkpilot
02-18-2023, 07:25 AM
I dunno, baddean. My buddy / neighbor / repair guy, (who is the repair / maintenance guy for a local hotel), is going to stop by later and see if there is something we may have forgotten to replace...but at some point throwing money at an older machine is probably not the wisest course.

If your dryer made it to 20 years, my recommendation is to repair it if parts are available. I understand your hesitation about putting money into an old machine but think most (apart from the high-dollar stuff- Bosch, etc) of the new offerings are disposable units. In the meantime, pack wisely and heavily if you head to the laundromat.😁

CSW
02-18-2023, 07:37 AM
We went with LG recently. That doesn’t meet your requirement of minimal bells and whistles, but so far we’re happy. Had a GE, won’t be going that route again for a variety of reasons. Avoid Samsung. That’s consistent among all the service techs and salespeople we talked to prior to purchase.

Mid range LG here as well. Did the washer/dryer at the same time.
No Bluetooth, no bells or whistles.
It's been flawless for the last 3 years.

blues
02-18-2023, 09:03 AM
If your dryer made it to 20 years, my recommendation is to repair it if parts are available. I understand your hesitation about putting money into an old machine but think most (apart from the high-dollar stuff- Bosch, etc) of the new offerings are disposable units. In the meantime, pack wisely and heavily if you head to the laundromat.😁

We repaired it months ago. Replaced belt and a couple of rollers, but the "squirrel cage" was the main culprit that was making the racket. Of course, it was the last thing we tried thanks to Guerrero and maybe a couple of others who may also have mentioned it.