PDA

View Full Version : 45ACP Carbine?

F-Trooper05
07-23-2012, 03:44 PM
A friend of mine wants to know if there's any 45ACP carbines out there that would work well with a suppressor. Any thoughts?

jstyer
07-23-2012, 04:44 PM
Kris Super V?

UMP is unobtainium, I've never seen a .45 AR (which isn't to say that they aren't made), perhaps Beretta makes a .45 of their storm carbine.

_JD_
07-23-2012, 04:46 PM
How about one of THESE (http://www.hi-pointfirearms.com/carbines/carbines_45caliber.html) :D

Man, as far as bad jokes go, that was pretty shitty.

F-Trooper05
07-23-2012, 05:21 PM
He was looking at the Storm, but he says it won't handle a suppressor well for some reasOn (I don't know enough about supressore to understand why).

jstyer
07-23-2012, 05:43 PM
It's blowback operated just like a pistol... Therefore I would think that most any suppressor with a recoil boosting device (as offered standard by AAC, Silencerco, and Gemtech) should work the action just fine. It is probably worth mentioning that the most famous suppressed gun ever (MP5) is a blowback operated shoulder fired gun. So I can't image that it's TOO hard to get to work.

Also, having had the chance to fire a suppressed select-fire MP5, I have to say that it was a life changing experience :cool:

LHS
07-23-2012, 09:01 PM
He was looking at the Storm, but he says it won't handle a suppressor well for some reasOn (I don't know enough about supressore to understand why).

Maybe 922r issues with threading the muzzle? I've never slicked out a Storm, so I'm not sure if there are a lot of aftermarket 922r parts or not.

SGT_Calle
07-23-2012, 09:25 PM
I vote KRISS as well.
I would love to have a SBR KRISS with an Osprey.
http://img.tapatalk.com/18605e15-07ae-233b.jpg

SamuelBLong
07-24-2012, 12:37 AM
Do you have any idea why he is specifically asking about .45 ACP for a carbine? There are a bizillion options if he wanted to go 9mm, and they are just as, if not more quiet, especially with 147gr.

It's blowback operated just like a pistol... Therefore I would think that most any suppressor with a recoil boosting device (as offered standard by AAC, Silencerco, and Gemtech) should work the action just fine. It is probably worth mentioning that the most famous suppressed gun ever (MP5) is a blowback operated shoulder fired gun. So I can't image that it's TOO hard to get to work.

Also, having had the chance to fire a suppressed select-fire MP5, I have to say that it was a life changing experience :cool:

Fixed barrels do not require a nielsen device (recoil booster). If using a suppressor with one built in, you would need to get the fixed barrel spacer and install it in place of the booster's spring.

The Beretta can be an option if brought into compliance with 922. Other than that, you have to get someone willing to thread it. Most people won't because they don't have the tools to remove the barrel to ensure concentric threads. I know of one guy who will do them. PM for details if your friend is going this route.

I think the best option is a HK USC to UMP Conversion SBR. Pricey, but cool as hell, and very effective.

A De Lisle is another option... if you can find one :cool: SRT Arms will also do an integral on a Marlin Camp Carbine if you can supply one.

Corey
07-24-2012, 12:50 AM
Maybe 922r issues with threading the muzzle? I've never slicked out a Storm, so I'm not sure if there are a lot of aftermarket 922r parts or not.
I don't know if it is because of 922r, but I do know you cannot get a Storm with a threaded barrel and it is thin enough that it is difficult to get it threaded.

It's blowback operated just like a pistol... Therefore I would think that most any suppressor with a recoil boosting device (as offered standard by AAC, Silencerco, and Gemtech) should work the action just fine. It is probably worth mentioning that the most famous suppressed gun ever (MP5) is a blowback operated shoulder fired gun. So I can't image that it's TOO hard to get to wo

No booster needed on a carbine as they are all fixed barrel. You only need a booster when the barrel moves to unlock, like a Browning type system in most semi-auto pistols.

I have shot both the Kriss (semi-auto without a supressor) and an original DeLisle. The DeLisle was pure evil sneeky goodness with historic WW II cool factor. The Kriss was interesting, but I was not impressed enough to want to buy one.

F-Trooper05
07-24-2012, 03:17 AM
Do you have any idea why he is specifically asking about .45 ACP for a carbine?

He plans on buying a suppressor for a Mark 23 and is just interested in perhaps also buying a carbine to throw it on as well. The KRISS is definitely an interesting suggestion. Same with the USC. Thanks fellas!

LHS
07-24-2012, 11:27 AM
I have shot both the Kriss (semi-auto without a supressor) and an original DeLisle. The DeLisle was pure evil sneeky goodness with historic WW II cool factor. The Kriss was interesting, but I was not impressed enough to want to buy one.

How quiet was the DeLisle compared to modern suppressed .45s? I know when I shot a G21 with a Gemtech Blackside, I was not impressed. It was still annoying to fire without earpro using standard ball ammo. I heard all sorts of praise of how quiet the DeLisle was/is, but I always chalked it up to legend more than fact.

jlw
07-24-2012, 02:59 PM
I had an issues UMP for a while but turned it over to one of the snipers on SRT so that he would have an entry weapon. I never tried a suppressor on it.

SamuelBLong
07-24-2012, 03:04 PM
How quiet was the DeLisle compared to modern suppressed .45s? I know when I shot a G21 with a Gemtech Blackside, I was not impressed. It was still annoying to fire without earpro using standard ball ammo. I heard all sorts of praise of how quiet the DeLisle was/is, but I always chalked it up to legend more than fact.

The blackside is not a very efficient design. Wet, it meters in the 128 - 130 db range.

The DeLisle meters in the 118 - 122 db range. Comparable to most .22 lr suppressors out on the market now. Also for reference a wet SilencerCo Osprey 45 is about 123 db. The DeLisle gets there by having a tremendous amount of internal volume, not because the stack is the most efficient.

jetfire
07-24-2012, 04:05 PM
I'd vote for the KRISS as well because it's the only. 45 ACP carbine I have any kind of significant experience with other than Thompson SMGs. My test model worked great with an Osprey.

muther_beetches
07-24-2012, 11:13 PM
marlin camp carbine has been on my sbr/suppressor to-do list for a while. the wood stocks are finicky and tend to crack if you don't replace the plastic buffer, but other than that they are pretty solid. been eyeing this (http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_7_118/980557_WTS___Integrally_suppressed_Marlin_Camp_car bines__45_and_9mm__Pic_s_added.html) integrally suppressed version for a while.

Corey
07-25-2012, 08:54 AM

I didn't have access to a meter, but when I tried one it was outdoors at 25 yards with Fedral Hydra shock ammo. The bullets hitting the dirt berm were louder than the gun was. The DeLisle may use 1940's thechnology, but it is a huge can and that helps a lot.

Al T.
07-25-2012, 10:45 AM
Buddy of mine has a Camp Carbine (9mm) and is going to IS it when funds allow. Only issue I see is that the trigger pull is, no joke, about 12 pounds. :eek:

Tamara
07-25-2012, 12:33 PM
No booster needed on a carbine as they are all fixed barrel. You only need a booster when the barrel moves to unlock, like a Browning type system in most semi-auto pistols.

This. ^^^^

I've fam-fired the Kriss and was very impressed. I think pistol caliber carbines are the buggy whips (http://booksbikesboomsticks.blogspot.com/2011/06/nicest-horse-and-buggy-ive-ever-seen.html) of our era, but the Kriss is a precision-manufactured, carbon-fiber buggy whip with superior ergonomics and buggy-whipping ability compared to any other buggy whip on the market. :p

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qnyXk4TAvgs

(Bear in mind that the buzzgun version in the clip is a .45ACP maschinenpistole burping out 1k+ rpm. If that had been a MAC-10, I'd have been putting holes in the ceiling... :o )

ACP230
07-29-2012, 09:10 AM
Olympic Arms makes a .45 ACP top end for the AR15.
Might make a suppressor platform.

I wondered if anyone would mention the Marlin Camp Carbine. I was at a manufacturer's shop many years ago.
He had Camps in 9mm and .45 lined up ready to go out to buyers. I always thought they looked like a good way to go.

There are a couple of new carbines in 9mm and .45 ACP advertised in Shotgun News and other mags. I can't recall their names, however.