PDA

View Full Version : S&W Model 64-5 NY-1 hammer block?

jws
06-12-2021, 10:43 AM
I took receipt of one of the S&W Model 10 frames from J&G Sales yesterday and as I was cleaning it up I had the side plate off my Model 64 for a reference. I noticed that the Model 64 is without a hammer block. Here’s a pic of the two:

I have had the side plate off of the Model 64 before but I don’t remember if there was a hammer block there the first time had it apart. So my question is did it have one at some point and does it need one now? Being a DAO model, is it necessary to have a hammer block? Any insight/education on this is appreciated!

FrankB
06-12-2021, 11:49 AM
I’ve only taken the sideplate off my 642’s once, but I don’t recall them having a trigger block. It’s not unthinkable that someone could have just removed the hammer block for the sake of trigger “enhancement”.

Stephanie B
06-12-2021, 12:57 PM
DAO 64-5:

Mine has a hammer-block. I suspect that, without one, the gun isn’t drop-safe.

Wheeler
06-12-2021, 01:08 PM
I took receipt of one of the S&W Model 10 frames from J&G Sales yesterday and as I was cleaning it up I had the side plate off my Model 64 for a reference. I noticed that the Model 64 is without a hammer block. Here’s a pic of the two:

I have had the side plate off of the Model 64 before but I don’t remember if there was a hammer block there the first time had it apart. So my question is did it have one at some point and does it need one now? Being a DAO model, is it necessary to have a hammer block? Any insight/education on this is appreciated!

Looks like the rebound slide has the guide pin for the hammer block. If you flip the side plate over does it have the slot for the hammer block milled? Best guess is that someone either removed it as part of a kitchen table trigger job or got frustrated trying to line it up with the side plate and tossed it in their parts box. AFAIK S&W has not produced a Hand Ejector variant without some form of hammer block since the 1940s.

jws
06-12-2021, 01:09 PM
DAO 64-5:

Mine has a hammer-block. I suspect that, without one, the gun isn’t drop-safe.

Thank you! That was my thought as well.

jws
06-12-2021, 01:11 PM
Looks like the rebound slide has the guide pin for the hammer block. If you flip the side plate over does it have the slot for the hammer block milled? Best guess is that someone either removed it as part of a kitchen table trigger job or got frustrated trying to line it up with the side plate and tossed it in their parts box. AFAIK S&W has not produced a Hand Ejector variant without some form of hammer block since the 1940s.

I’m fairly certain it is milled for it, I’ll check it out. Sounds like I need to order one though. Thank you!

Stephanie B
06-12-2021, 01:29 PM
I’m fairly certain it is milled for it, I’ll check it out. Sounds like I need to order one though. Thank you!

If you're carrying that gun, I'd suggest keeping an empty chamber under the hammer until you've installed one.

jws
06-12-2021, 01:32 PM
If you're carrying that gun, I'd suggest keeping an empty chamber under the hammer until you've installed one.

At this point it has been for range use only, it will stay that way until it has one. Thank you!

revchuck38
06-12-2021, 01:58 PM

I needed one to replace one that was missing from a used gun I bought. I called S&W and they sent one gratis. It's been a while, but it'd be worth a try.

Stephanie B
06-12-2021, 02:19 PM
At this point it has been for range use only, it will stay that way until it has one. Thank you!

Here in the Revolver Section, we live to enable.

jws
06-12-2021, 03:27 PM
I needed one to replace one that was missing from a used gun I bought. I called S&W and they sent one gratis. It's been a while, but it'd be worth a try.

I hadn’t thought of that, thanks for the idea.

jws
06-12-2021, 03:28 PM
Here in the Revolver Section, we live to enable.

As evidenced by the Model 10 frame purchase!