PDA

View Full Version : “Elite” Mexican cartel team, NOT a 5.11 commercial!

LittleLebowski
06-11-2021, 06:46 AM
Watch video in tweet. Maybe they’re getting ready to take charge of the border since no one else will? :D

TiroFijo
06-11-2021, 07:01 AM
This is not propaganda to "look like the good guys" but simply to threaten the other competing cartels in the area.

They do look well armed and equiped, scary. And they are right at your border, probably inside too.

One has to remember that every happy easygoing US "recreational drug user" is their biggest supporter.

Cory
06-11-2021, 07:06 AM
Ed Calderon (Ed's Manifesto) has been talking about this group and how dangerous they are for quite awhile.

HeavyDuty
06-11-2021, 07:21 AM
One of my closest friends is from Monterrey and visits her parents regularly. Her family isn’t exactly prominent, but they are upper upper middle class. I always worry about her getting jacked even though they live in a gated community.

TC215
06-11-2021, 07:23 AM
I’ve become pretty familiar with the CJNG cartel over the last couple months. They are a dangerous group becoming increasingly violent.

Totem Polar
06-11-2021, 07:40 AM
Ed Calderon (Ed's Manifesto) has been talking about this group and how dangerous they are for quite awhile.

Interesting stuff, too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cVaWsrC-aUs

1:14 is where the info dump starts.

The later episode on the border crisis is also interesting.

blues
06-11-2021, 08:30 AM
This country has dropped so many balls thus far, I can't even keep count anymore.

WTF is up with these brain dead mf'ers?

Borderland
06-11-2021, 09:49 AM
It is no surprise to me that MX has gone down the path of drug lords running parts of the country. The Mexican revolution spawned the culture of the poor fighting the elites for a small piece of the pie. I think that is still an acceptable career choice for many in the poorer states. With a poverty rate of 40% there would be lots of people willing to work for the cartels which are probably the modern day equivalents of Pancho Villa and Emiliano Zapata.

I liked the story about the Mexican Robinhood at about the 10 minute mark of TP's post..

Edit.

Now that I think about it, the US is going down the same road as MX. except the elites in gov't are giving away high income earners money to the poor before they just decide to take it. Either way the outcome won't be good.

JohnO
06-11-2021, 10:57 AM
One look at that and it becomes obvious that the administration’s claim of climate change is undeniable. :rolleyes:

Casual Friday
06-11-2021, 11:39 AM

Yup. He was talking about them when they were in their infancy about their potential.

TheNewbie
06-11-2021, 01:19 PM
Just got done reading an article about police being killed, tortured, and forced to flee their homes in Guanajuato. There is massive corruption in Mexico, but there are good cops who fight evil.

We have it so damn good in the USA we have not a clue.

Hopefully I’ll get to talk to a Mexican cop while I’m done here, but not sure I’ll get the chance.

UNK
06-11-2021, 02:33 PM
This stuff is absolutely terrifying. The fact that the majority of the population has no idea is appalling. Thanks main stream media ie Communist scum sucking bastards.

TheNewbie
06-11-2021, 02:42 PM
The military members I’ve seen, look professional. Especially the Marines.

The police, not so much. In the past, when the Policia Federal existed, they did look professional. Their uniforms looked like a quality Mexican take on the American police uniform. The way they carried their gear looked professional too.

Now that they have been replaced by the Guarda Nacional, a uniform change has happened. The camo uniform looks horrible and the “police uniform” looks like something from Spain or Portugal. Looks out of place.

Just some observations from what I’ve seen.

LittleLebowski
06-11-2021, 02:50 PM
One look at that and it becomes obvious that the administration’s claim of climate change is undeniable. :rolleyes:

Splendidly played.

Le Français
06-11-2021, 04:23 PM
Just got done reading an article about police being killed, tortured, and forced to flee their homes in Guanajuato. There is massive corruption in Mexico, but there are good cops who fight evil.

Not to rain on your parade (funeral procession?), but it takes a lot more evidence than him/her being killed by a cartel to reasonably conclude that a Mexican cop isn’t dirty. The cartels kill each other’s employees quite often, and a lot of those employees are cops.

TheNewbie
06-11-2021, 04:32 PM
Not to rain on your parade (funeral procession?), but it takes a lot more evidence than him/her being killed by a cartel to reasonably conclude that a Mexican cop isn’t dirty. The cartels kill each other’s employees quite often, and a lot of those employees are cops.

You’re not raining on my parade. I simply made a statement that despite the massive corruption in Mexico, there are cops trying to do good work. It’s unlikely all 240+ cops killed in Guanajuato over the last three years were corrupt associates of the cartel. Some? Yes. Most? Wouldn’t surprise me. All? Unlikely.

The good Mexican cops having a real challenge, and many obstacles that limit their ability to do good work.

vcdgrips
06-11-2021, 05:08 PM
IMHO-A fundamental problem with Civil Mexican Law Enforcement is that almost inevitably they are faced with the "Plata o Plomo" (Silver or Lead) Proposition. As such, virtually all of the Civil Mexican Police Organizations have a level of corruption that makes those organizations fundamentally untrustworthy. Individual officials can and do perform righteous deeds and/or form cooperative relationships with their US counterparts and good work can get done. This is on a very case by case, person to person basis.

Arguably, the only entity in Mexico that has escaped this endemic corruption has been their Marines. I have been told that great pains are taken to recruit and retain an officer corp that is as affluent as possible to mitigate the risk of financial compromise.
I have been told that their physical standards for both enlisted and officers is exacting and enforced. I am told that they train with their international counterparts far more frequently in far more meaningful ways than their Mexican Army counterparts.

The Mexican Marines happen to often poll as the most trustworthy entity in Mexico.

I base the opinions expressed on significant person reading, conversations with family members who live in Mexico, multiple discussions with US and Mexican Academics and multiple discussions with US Federal Law Enforcement Officials who work/have worked in Mexico. Additionally, I base my opinions on my efforts, both successful and unsuccessful, to locate and apprehend fugitives in Mexico as the result of charges leveled against them here in the US in the violent crime, narcotics, failure to register a a sex offender and child exploitation contexts.

I would be keenly interested in the basis of consistent or contrary opinions.

Borderland
06-11-2021, 06:26 PM
There were people who were arrested in the Seattle area with ties to a cartel last year.

https://www.dea.gov/press-releases/2020/07/28/nineteen-indicted-cartel-connected-drug-trafficking-conspiracy

No doubt they're in every major city in the US.

TheNewbie
06-11-2021, 06:48 PM
IMHO-A fundamental problem with Civil Mexican Law Enforcement is that almost inevitably they are faced with the "Plata o Plomo" (Silver or Lead) Proposition. As such, virtually all of the Civil Mexican Police Organizations have a level of corruption that makes those organizations fundamentally untrustworthy. Individual officials can and do perform righteous deeds and/or form cooperative relationships with their US counterparts and good work can get done. This is on a very case by case, person to person basis.

Arguably, the only entity in Mexico that has escaped this endemic corruption has been their Marines. I have been told that great pains are taken to recruit and retain an officer corp that is as affluent as possible to mitigate the risk of financial compromise.
I have been told that their physical standards for both enlisted and officers is exacting and enforced. I am told that they train with their international counterparts far more frequently in far more meaningful ways than their Mexican Army counterparts.

The Mexican Marines happen to often poll as the most trustworthy entity in Mexico.

I base the opinions expressed on significant person reading, conversations with family members who live in Mexico, multiple discussions with US and Mexican Academics and multiple discussions with US Federal Law Enforcement Officials who work/have worked in Mexico. Additionally, I base my opinions on my efforts, both successful and unsuccessful, to locate and apprehend fugitives in Mexico as the result of charges leveled against them here in the US in the violent crime, narcotics, failure to register a a sex offender and child exploitation contexts.

I would be keenly interested in the basis of consistent or contrary opinions.

I think this fairly accurate. It’s my understanding as well.

From reading and researching the issue and talking to people in Mexico. I don’t not have your experience on the legal side, but I would assume that only reinforces the other information.

I was told that the Policia Estatel de Estado de Mexico are pretty bad. My one experience with something close to police corruption in Mexico was by a member if they police force, who spoke excellent, almost unaccented, English.

TheNewbie
06-11-2021, 06:58 PM
Fixing the military and police forces in Mexico would help greatly to improve life, but they are a symptom of a problem, not the cause. It’s a symptom that makes everything worse, but the causes is much deeper and culturally rooted.

My brother in law got lucky, he drew the right color ball at the “draft lottery” and didn’t have to serve. My wife’s uncle, who is now a priest, did one year in the Mexican army in the 80s. He said it was a good experience, but that was a different time and he didn’t have to fight.

RevolverRob
06-11-2021, 11:22 PM
This is not propaganda to "look like the good guys" but simply to threaten the other competing cartels in the area.

They do look well armed and equiped, scary. And they are right at your border, probably inside too.

One has to remember that every happy easygoing US "recreational drug user" is their biggest supporter.

I'm not going to argue that the United States does not have a healthy appetite for drugs.

However, the demand for traditional stimulants, heroin, cocaine, etc. has held steady or declined for the last decade here. And the demand for opioids is also declining. Meanwhile, your neighbors in Uruguay have the highest per-capita increase in narcotic use globally.

In addition, Australia/New Zealand and Western Europe dominate the MDMA/Hallucinogen market. And Asian dominates the heroin market (particularly Iran/Iraq).

I know it's convenient to use the US as a scapegoat for drug problems. But on a percentage basis the US is no longer the total globally leader (that's Russia). And when you divvy up by category we're only leading cannabis, opioid, and meth use, however meth is rapidly growing elsewhere and South America, Africa and eastern Europe will soon out pace us.

Mark D
06-12-2021, 12:09 AM
A friendly reminder that Borderland Beat is back online, after a hiatus. It's a good source of info on cartel-related crime.
http://www.borderlandbeat.com/

A word of warning - some images and videos are graphic, and I've learned to be circumspect about what I view there.

LittleLebowski
06-12-2021, 09:44 AM
The cartels literally run the border now. #ThanksBiden (https://pistol-forum.com/usertag.php?do=list&action=hash&hash=ThanksBiden)

TiroFijo
06-12-2021, 10:00 AM
I'm not going to argue that the United States does not have a healthy appetite for drugs.

However, the demand for traditional stimulants, heroin, cocaine, etc. has held steady or declined for the last decade here. And the demand for opioids is also declining. Meanwhile, your neighbors in Uruguay have the highest per-capita increase in narcotic use globally.

In addition, Australia/New Zealand and Western Europe dominate the MDMA/Hallucinogen market. And Asian dominates the heroin market (particularly Iran/Iraq).

I know it's convenient to use the US as a scapegoat for drug problems. But on a percentage basis the US is no longer the total globally leader (that's Russia). And when you divvy up by category we're only leading cannabis, opioid, and meth use, however meth is rapidly growing elsewhere and South America, Africa and eastern Europe will soon out pace us.

I travel to Uruguay often and that is not what I see/hear... perhaps they are reexporting? New routes, reexporting from non traditional countries is very big around here lately. A few months ago an historic record of cocaine seize in Europe came from Paraguay:

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-56177177

In any case, Uruguay's population is less than 3.5 million, and they don't pay nearly as much street price as the US. Their internal consumption and amount of money that goes into the cartels is negligible.

US druggies demand is largely what fuels the mexican/central america/Colombia cartels, there is no denying that.

JohnO
06-12-2021, 10:04 AM
The cartels literally run the border now. #ThanksBiden (https://pistol-forum.com/usertag.php?do=list&action=hash&hash=ThanksBiden)

And... How far north of the border? 1600 Pennsylvania Ave?

Off the market. https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1600-Pennsylvania-Ave-NW-Washington-DC-20006/84074482_zpid/
Did China close on it already?

blues
06-12-2021, 10:18 AM

"This one is from Governor Abbott of Tejas. 'Dear Cisco, since Biden and Kamala won't do anything to help us with the border crisis, would you and Pancho be good enough to lend us a hand?' C'mon, Pancho. We got work to do!"

Borderland
06-12-2021, 02:05 PM

Now? I think they have been for awhile. Note my link to the bust in Seattle. That was the culmination of an 18 month investigation that happened in 2020.

Honestly, I don't think anyone can put the blame on this US administration, the last one, or even the one before that.

As long as the MX administrations keep changing the rules, political figures and police in MX continue to be corrupted and the market for drugs in the US continues, there will be cartels in MX getting the drugs into the US.

The money laundering is going on in the US by legit businesses who somehow manage to operate without bank loans. In other words they're funded by cartel money, or La Familia.

blues
06-12-2021, 02:15 PM
The money laundering is going on in the US by legit businesses who somehow manage to operate without bank loans. In other words they're funded by cartel money, or La Familia.

I started working narco money laundering by the cartels in Miami in 1987. (It was going on well before I arrived down there from NYC.)

The movie "The Infiltrator" with Bryan Cranston was based upon an investigation out of Tampa and Miami involving the laundering of cartel funds through BCCI, (Bank of Credit and Commerce Int'l), as well as "legitimate" businesses. I worked on that case along with many of the individuals portrayed in the movie. In fact, my wife also had a role in assisting the investigation.

The skyline of Miami was built on drug money. Believe it.

(This was before the major shift toward Mexico as we became more effective in shutting down conduits for the Colombian cartels.)

Just another day in the office:

Willard
06-12-2021, 05:07 PM
I started working narco money laundering by the cartels in Miami in 1987. (It was going on well before I arrived down there from NYC.)

The movie "The Infiltrator" with Bryan Cranston was based upon an investigation out of Tampa and Miami involving the laundering of cartel funds through BCCI, (Bank of Credit and Commerce Int'l), as well as "legitimate" businesses. I worked on that case along with many of the individuals portrayed in the movie. In fact, my wife also had a role in assisting the investigation.

The skyline of Miami was built on drug money. Believe it.

(This was before the major shift toward Mexico as we became more effective in shutting down conduits for the Colombian cartels.)

Just another day in the office:

I don't think we properly acknowledge the extreme integrity displayed by officers who don't skim from these operations (or worse) despite typically not reimbursing them adequately for what they are asked to do. Especially now that we are "de-funding" and scalp hunting.

blues
06-12-2021, 05:31 PM
I don't think we properly acknowledge the extreme integrity displayed by officers who don't skim from these operations (or worse) despite typically not reimbursing them adequately for what they are asked to do. Especially now that we are "de-funding" and scalp hunting.

Thanks, Willard.

A couple of funny anecdotes...

Once when my partner and I seized 100 bags of $100,000 each, ($10,000,000), heading down to Bolivia aboard an old LAB flight, I had all the cash in the trunk of my car as my partner followed me back to the office to count and store the cash in the evidence room.

I called my wife on the old brick cell phone and joked that if I was a different sort of agent I'd be telling her to meet me at Miami International for a trip out of the country. When she asked why, I told her because I had 10 million reasons in the trunk of the car and I was by myself. We both laughed.

Another time, after seizing a large sum from a Colombian group and going to trial on the money laundering aspects, the defendant stated that the count was $100 off. The judge, the late Kenneth Ryskamp of the Southern District of FL, looked aghast when the defendant alleged this and turned to me on the stand to ask if there was anything to it. I told him we must've needed pizza money since I wasn't in the habit of throwing my career away for 100 bucks. The judge admonished the defense by telling them that he knew this particular agent and found the allegation completely incredible. (Made me feel good to hear it.)

In the end, it's all Monopoly money. The thought to help myself to any of it never entered my mind. In fact I once found some bundles that ended up behind a spare tire in my g-ride and called internal affairs and told them I was on my way up to drop something off. I told them I didn't know where the money came from or what seizure, but on the off chance they put it there as an integrity test..."shame on you".

Thanks again, Willard. It's good to hear that some folks still have faith in us.

Coyotesfan97
06-12-2021, 05:52 PM
Funny anecdotal story or two. Someone left a dollar bill on the counter in the packaging room. I was in Narcs at the time so we were there all the time. It sat there for two weeks. I ended up taping it to a piece of copy paper and wrote IA PLANT BILL on the top. It was gone the next time I went in.

One I’m still not sure on. One of our old Chiefs was from LA with the IA shenanigans that went with it. So I’m driving home it’s close to 0400 and I’m almost home when I see a guy passed out in a driveway of townhouses less then a quarter mile from my house.

I stop to check him. He’s lying there with his folded wallet on his chest with a large wad of cash visible in it. His wallet looked like George’s in Seinfeld. He’s wearing blue nylon pants and low quarters. I wake him up, make sure he’s good to go, and asked if he needed a ride. Nope I’m good and walked off.

Honestly still don’t know if it was a sting or a random encounter. But it fits the LA integrity checks I’ve read about.

Borderland
06-12-2021, 06:55 PM
Funny anecdotal story or two. Someone left a dollar bill on the counter in the packaging room. I was in Narcs at the time so we were there all the time. It sat there for two weeks. I ended up taping it to a piece of copy paper and wrote IA PLANT BILL on the top. It was gone the next time I went in.

One I’m still not sure on. One of our old Chiefs was from LA with the IA shenanigans that went with it. So I’m driving home it’s close to 0400 and I’m almost home when I see a guy passed out in a driveway of townhouses less then a quarter mile from my house.

I stop to check him. He’s lying there with his folded wallet on his chest with a large wad of cash visible in it. His wallet looked like George’s in Seinfeld. He’s wearing blue nylon pants and low quarters. I wake him up, make sure he’s good to go, and asked if he needed a ride. Nope I’m good and walked off.

Honestly still don’t know if it was a sting or a random encounter. But it fits the LA integrity checks I’ve read about.

That's the funniest thing I've read all week. Also a sense of humor I can relate to. Very rare.

I once taped over a sign on a storage closet where I worked. The sign read Human Resources Storage. When I finished with it it read Human Storage. It stayed there for about a week. I guess a few people found it funny. Some HR supervisor probably had a stroke.

FNFAN
06-12-2021, 07:24 PM

It would have tempted me to replace the bill with quarters, then nickels then a stack of pennies then a $5.00. Maybe tape it to a high ceiling?. Of course you probably still could have got written up for even replacing the bill since it was serialized and could be deemed """evidence""" in the theatre of the absurd.

Borderland
06-12-2021, 07:31 PM
It would have tempted me to replace the bill with quarters, then nickels then a stack of pennies then a $5.00. Maybe tape it to a high ceiling?. Of course you probably still could have got written up for even replacing the bill since it was serialized and could be deemed """evidence""" in the theatre of the absurd.

You wouldn't last very long in a democratically controlled county gov't. You just outed yourself amigo. They know who you are.

Coyotesfan97
06-12-2021, 07:34 PM

I found a quarter one time in the backseat during my start of shift car check. Mostly as a joke I seized it and wrote a report because I thought my boss would get a hoot out of it.

FNFAN
06-12-2021, 07:40 PM
You wouldn't last very long in a democratically controlled county gov't. You just outed yourself amigo. They know who you are.

Retired from one of the most politically charged counties in the USA and my boss was an elected official.:D

TC215
06-12-2021, 07:43 PM

We always say you could leave $100k in cash laying on a table in roll call and no one would touch it. Leave a pair of handcuffs laying around, and you’ll never see them again.

Coyotesfan97
06-12-2021, 07:45 PM
That's the funniest thing I've read all week. Also a sense of humor I can relate to. Very rare.

I once taped over a sign on a storage closet where I worked. The sign read Human Resources Storage. When I finished with it it read Human Storage. It stayed there for about a week. I guess a few people found it funny. Some HR supervisor probably had a stroke.

Thanks! Laughing at stuff like that and pranks help keep you sane.

Borderland
06-12-2021, 07:48 PM
Retired from one of the most politically charged counties in the USA and my boss was an elected official.:D

Well, I retired with 30 years from a county that was dem the entire time I worked there. The council and the exec were all dems the entire time I worked there.

You said "politically charged". The county I worked for wasn't politically charged. They were all democrat's.

Care to compare counties off line?

Hint. The county where I worked voted Democratic in every presidential election since 2000. 20 years.

BobM
06-12-2021, 10:00 PM
We always say you could leave $100k in cash laying on a table in roll call and no one would touch it. Leave a pair of handcuffs laying around, and you’ll never see them again.

Or a flashlight

Coyotesfan97
06-13-2021, 02:14 AM
Or a flashlight

Or binoculars in a car

blues
06-13-2021, 08:48 AM
ACAB ACAT

(All cops are thieves)

;)

WobblyPossum
06-13-2021, 09:08 AM
ACAB ACAT

(All cops are thieves)

;)

There’s only one thief at the office. Everyone else is just trying to get their stuff back.

Warped Mindless
06-13-2021, 12:31 PM
In some circles it’s well known that cartels have offered former SOF and even some big city SWAT guys some good money to come down and train them.

I’d bet that more than one guy has taken them up on that offer.

TheNewbie
06-14-2021, 01:09 AM
I pretty much know the answer before asking, but everyone so far has no, or at best very limited, trust in the police. There is a state that supposedly has a better police force, and a more rural area that has good local cops. Obviously the exception vs the rule.

One guy I talked to had the opinion that the change from the Policia Federal to the Guardia Nacional has produced poor results. He told me the standards have been lowered.

I spend as much time in the “dangerous” and older areas of various classes as I do the tourist places. It’s an interesting experience, but my insight is still limited. There are guys on the board that have never been to Mexico in the way I have that know more than I. That know more than people who live here.

Did see multiple agencies that had a car surrounded. They were pulling it apart, looking for something.

Mexico is an interesting place.

farscott
06-14-2021, 07:20 AM
I have spent a ton of time in Mexico for professional reasons, mostly in Mexico City, Chihuahua, and Guadalajara. Just like the USA, there are good areas and bad areas and good people and bad people. I have never had any issues, but I am never comfortable there, even in upscale areas. The last time I was in Guadalajara we had some issues getting to our destination; we later learned that several human heads were found displayed on the road we usually took to the facility at which we worked.

And if anyone in the USA thinks LE is mean or violates civil rights at traffic stops, a Policia Federal stop will be an eyeopener. We got stopped at a roadblock in front of a Ford assembly plant for a check along with every other vehicle and those guys were not messing around. There was at least one Browning M2 mounted on a medium-duty truck trained on us at all times and they took their time making sure we were not whom they wanted and had nothing in the vehicle that was of interest. We were repeatedly searched, repeatedly asked questions, and our passports were checked more than once. We were definitely guilty until proven not to be.

TGS
06-14-2021, 09:01 AM
I have never had any issues, but I am never comfortable there, even in upscale areas.

Somewhat related: the assassination attempt on the MX City Police Chief within the boundary of Mexico City by the CJNG in particular was a big sign that nowhere is off limits and that things are different. Previously, the cartels and government had somewhat of a gentleman's agreement that higher level wet works (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wetwork#:~:text=Wetwork%20(Russian%3A%20%D0%BC%D0% BE%D0%BA%D1%80%D0%BE%D0%B5%20%D0%B4%D0%B5%D0%BB%D0 %BE%2C,that%20alludes%20to%20spilling%20blood.) do not occur within Mexico City proper (for everyone's benefit). Think of it as the little Switzerland of Mexico, or The Continental in the John Wick series.

Like many things, CJNG changed that.

Borderland
06-14-2021, 09:06 AM
I've traveled some in Sinaloa and Baja. This was a number of years ago and I think it's changed a lot, not for the better. I don't recall having any issues in Baja but Sinaloa was uncomfortable. I don't like seeing armed police (M4's) at major road intersections and armed escorts (hired) for tourists when they travel inland. I think that was about 10 years ago and I've only visited the border towns since then.

TheNewbie
06-14-2021, 09:14 AM
Somewhat related: the assassination attempt on the MX City Police Chief within the boundary of Mexico City by the CJNG in particular was a big sign that nowhere is off limits and that things are different. Previously, the cartels and government had somewhat of a gentleman's agreement that higher level wet works (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wetwork#:~:text=Wetwork%20(Russian%3A%20%D0%BC%D0% BE%D0%BA%D1%80%D0%BE%D0%B5%20%D0%B4%D0%B5%D0%BB%D0 %BE%2C,that%20alludes%20to%20spilling%20blood.) do not occur within Mexico City proper (for everyone's benefit). Think of it as the little Switzerland of Mexico, or The Continental in the John Wick series.

Especially the area of DF it happened in. Things often escalate before, if, they get better.

medmo
06-14-2021, 11:51 AM
Honestly, I don't think anyone can put the blame on this US administration, the last one, or even the one before that.

With all respect, the facts of the situation indeed indicate that there is cause for blame. The policy changes made by the current administration has caused the southern border to transition from a relatively secure state to relatively porous state. The border cartel's revenue has increased exponentially as the increase of human trafficking and contraband smuggling has increased exponentially. As the cartel's revenue increases so does their power and influence. So, yes, the changes made by the current administration regarding border security has significantly increased the power and wealth of the cartels.

Caballoflaco
06-14-2021, 12:29 PM

Iirc DF is/was Sinaloa territory. Hitting one of the highest ranking LE on their payroll in their house definitely sends a message.

And nobody I’ve talked to who had lived or had/has family in Cuidad Mexico had anything good to say about Mexico City Police. They’re all considered bought.

TiroFijo
06-14-2021, 12:57 PM
Pura gente del señor Mencho!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OyVGiJacQqI

Borderland
06-14-2021, 02:25 PM
With all respect, the facts of the situation indeed indicate that there is cause for blame. The policy changes made by the current administration has caused the southern border to transition from a relatively secure state to relatively porous state. The border cartel's revenue has increased exponentially as the increase of human trafficking and contraband smuggling has increased exponentially. As the cartel's revenue increases so does their power and influence. So, yes, the changes made by the current administration regarding border security has significantly increased the power and wealth of the cartels.

Relatively secure how? The majority of the drugs come from MX. If you want to break it down by Adm. looking at drug over doses might be a good place to start to see how effective each adm has been stopping drugs coming from MX.

https://i.ibb.co/9TFtPVc/ODR2020-Slide3.jpg (https://imgbb.com/)

TiroFijo
06-14-2021, 02:56 PM
Relatively secure how? The majority of the drugs come from MX. If you want to break it down by Adm. looking at drug over doses might be a good place to start to see how effective each adm has been stopping drugs coming from MX.

In the last 20 years the numbers are 5X :eek:

medmo
06-14-2021, 03:09 PM

I don't see the use of America's death rate from opioids as a relevant or accurate means of judging the security status of the US southern border. The best measurement is DHS's and the Border Patrol's metrics which all currently indicate that the US southern border security is in severe crisis. Also, first hand eye witness reporting shows the US southern border is in a severe security crisis. The timeline follows the change of administrations and adjustments made by the current administration. As human trafficking and contraband smuggling increases on the US southern border, so does the wealth and power of the cartels.

TiroFijo
06-14-2021, 03:53 PM
But, but... Kamala Harris recently said in Guatemala "do not come"

Borderland
06-14-2021, 07:01 PM
I don't see the use of America's death rate from opioids as a relevant or accurate means of judging the security status of the US southern border. The best measurement is DHS's and the Border Patrol's metrics which all currently indicate that the US southern border security is in severe crisis. Also, first hand eye witness reporting shows the US southern border is in a severe security crisis. The timeline follows the change of administrations and adjustments made by the current administration. As human trafficking and contraband smuggling increases on the US southern border, so does the wealth and power of the cartels.

The MX gov't is the entity that gives the power to the cartels. If they let them run the country they will. As Ed Calderon says, the cartels are a parallel gov't that exits because of the economic opportunity for the cartels as well as gov't officials and the police.

No doubt there's a crisis on the border but it's pretty much always been there and it's getting worse. I lived on the border for 16 years. It didn't start with the Biden adm. I don't care to go down that rabbit hole.

KeeFus
06-14-2021, 08:31 PM

Or ammo…

medmo
06-14-2021, 08:35 PM
The MX gov't is the entity that gives the power to the cartels. If they let them run the country they will. As Ed Calderon says, the cartels are a parallel gov't that exits because of the economic opportunity for the cartels as well as gov't officials and the police.

No doubt there's a crisis on the border but it's pretty much always been there and it's getting worse. I lived on the border for 16 years. It didn't start with the Biden adm. I don't care to go down that rabbit hole.

Sorry, no rabbit hole diving intended. The cartel’s power and influence comes directly from their wealth and fortune. The more wealth and fortune, the more power and influence. The shift in the border status, correlating with the changes made by the current administration, has led to a crisis level spike of human trafficking and the smuggling of contraband. The cartels profit greatly from human trafficking and contraband smuggling so this crisis level spike has in turn spiked their wealth which equates to increased power and influence. Government officials don’t freely give the power to the cartels. It is either purchased or extorted through violence. The larger the fortune, the more they can fund pay outs or fund a small army for extortion.

Borderland
06-14-2021, 10:17 PM
Sorry, no rabbit hole diving intended. The cartel’s power and influence comes directly from their wealth and fortune. The more wealth and fortune, the more power and influence. The shift in the border status, correlating with the changes made by the current administration, has led to a crisis level spike of human trafficking and the smuggling of contraband. The cartels profit greatly from human trafficking and contraband smuggling so this crisis level spike has in turn spiked their wealth which equates to increased power and influence. Government officials don’t freely give the power to the cartels. It is either purchased or extorted through violence. The larger the fortune, the more they can fund pay outs or fund a small army for extortion.

I have to disagree with that.

López Obrador campaigned on trying to deescalate the drug conflict, describing a “hugs, not bullets” approach to tackle the root causes of crime. Since taking office in late 2018, he has avoided openly confronting cartels, and even released one capo to avoid bloodshed, saying he preferred a long-range policy of addressing social problems like youth unemployment that contribute to gang membership.

https://apnews.com/article/caribbean-mexico-police-f6ea7798ca3cc171ac13b3a5a6a6c266

That reminds me of the trend in this country to defund the police. Obrador is a liberal president.

medmo
06-15-2021, 12:18 AM
I have to disagree with that.

Totally respect you and your opinion regardless of my own. Just a few quick facts, and I'll leave this one alone. The "Hugs not Bullets" campaign was a flag of surrender with the fed government admitting that they cannot get the organized crime cartels under control. The reason the feds cannot control cartels is because local governments are controlled by the cartels. Do you remember when the federal police disarmed ALL of the Tijuana's region police officers? The feds were taking action against the cartel in Tijuana and knew that that the local law enforcement members were either cooperating with or were members of the cartel. Mayors, councils, officials, police chiefs and officers in the areas controlled by cartels are either on the payroll of cartels or are threatened by cartels to cooperate. In this political season of 2021 alone, over 85 candidates, men and women, have been murdered by cartels. One candidate for the office of mayor was shot down in the middle of one of his campaign rallies. In almost all regions controlled by cartels, local candidates must seek permission from the cartels to even run for office. If they don't they are harassed, threatened or murdered. The Mexican feds can't control the cartel problem without cooperation of regional and local officials. The cartels have the treasure to control regional and local officials. The recent status change at the US southern border has the "open for business" sign glowing for cartels, increasing their treasure, power and influence within Mexico.

Borderland
06-15-2021, 10:05 AM
Totally respect you and your opinion regardless of my own. Just a few quick facts, and I'll leave this one alone. The "Hugs not Bullets" campaign was a flag of surrender with the fed government admitting that they cannot get the organized crime cartels under control. The reason the feds cannot control cartels is because local governments are controlled by the cartels. Do you remember when the federal police disarmed ALL of the Tijuana's region police officers? The feds were taking action against the cartel in Tijuana and knew that that the local law enforcement members were either cooperating with or were members of the cartel. Mayors, councils, officials, police chiefs and officers in the areas controlled by cartels are either on the payroll of cartels or are threatened by cartels to cooperate. In this political season of 2021 alone, over 85 candidates, men and women, have been murdered by cartels. One candidate for the office of mayor was shot down in the middle of one of his campaign rallies. In almost all regions controlled by cartels, local candidates must seek permission from the cartels to even run for office. If they don't they are harassed, threatened or murdered. The Mexican feds can't control the cartel problem without cooperation of regional and local officials. The cartels have the treasure to control regional and local officials. The recent status change at the US southern border has the "open for business" sign glowing for cartels, increasing their treasure, power and influence within Mexico.

One thing I think we agree on is that Biden's border security policy will be a disaster. It already is. I also think that Obregon's policy of embracing the cartels will also become a disaster in MX.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-mexico-violence-idUSKBN2BA2ZL

They're both fools. Everybody loses.

Borderland
06-15-2021, 08:44 PM
I'm trying to understand the border crises. I have to admit that I wasn't up to speed on this. I just discovered Ed Caldaron and his perspective which is interesting because he's lived the border as a Mexican Fed and now resides in the US and makes his living as a consultant on cartels and border security.

The thing that I see most troubling is cartels challenging the local LE in the US. It's apparent to me that the cartels need to be designated by congress as terrorists organizations so certain military assets can be used against them, both here and in MX. That won't be acceptable by many here in the US but the line will be crossed sooner rather than later. The Obregon gov't is just buying time because MX is a failed state.

https://youtu.be/9l20tu7O0OY?t=2218

TheNewbie
06-17-2021, 08:53 AM
So what’s crazier? Seeing cops with no guns in their holster or seeing one with a revolver in a holster for a pistol, one of the knock off serpa style holsters, sticking out so far above the holster, that the whole trigger/trigger guard was exposed.

That wouldn’t retain his holster if he sneezed.

medmo
06-29-2021, 09:02 AM
Great article reporting on what is happening right now on the US border with Mexico. As the smuggling business increases exponentially due to relaxed US security and protocols, so does the treasure and power of the cartels.

http://www.borderlandbeat.com/2010/06/gulf-cartel-against-los-zetas-in.html?m=1

Caballoflaco
06-29-2021, 09:19 AM
Great article reporting on what is happening right now on the US border with Mexico. As the smuggling business increases exponentially due to relaxed US security and protocols, so does the treasure and power of the cartels.

http://www.borderlandbeat.com/2010/06/gulf-cartel-against-los-zetas-in.html?m=1

That article is 11 years old and is about two cartels that are no longer active, maybe it’s the wrong link?

medmo
06-29-2021, 09:32 AM
That article is 11 years old and is about two cartels that are no longer active, maybe it’s the wrong link?

This article is the correct article from June 22, 2021. My bad posting the wrong link.

https://www.npr.org/2021/06/22/1009024695/fear-shakes-mexico-border-city-after-violence-leaves-18-dead