PDA

View Full Version : Charter Arms Professional...6 shot 357 magnum 3 inch barrel

Moylan
06-09-2021, 07:10 PM
I know, it's a Charter Arms. I was very interested in the 7 shot 32 H&R version of this revolver when it came out a few years ago, but as far as I could discover there are no speedloaders available for it. The 6 shot 357 magnum version must--??--work with some 6 shot speedloaders, right? Reviewed in the NRA magazine I got today, but no mention that I saw of speedloaders.

I am going to be awfully tempted to sell my 642 and buy me a Professional. Anyone here have one/see one/know about them?

JWintergreen
06-09-2021, 07:25 PM
I know, it's a Charter Arms. I was very interested in the 7 shot 32 H&R version of this revolver when it came out a few years ago, but as far as I could discover there are no speedloaders available for it. The 6 shot 357 magnum version must--??--work with some 6 shot speedloaders, right? Reviewed in the NRA magazine I got today, but no mention that I saw of speedloaders.

I am going to be awfully tempted to sell my 642 and buy me a Professional. Anyone here have one/see one/know about them?

That is very interesting. I did not know that Charter was offering a D frame sized .357 to compete with the King Cobra/K6S. I am very glad to learn of another new small frame, six shot offering. I have also not seen any recent reviews of the 6 shot Police Undercover model.

As far as speedloaders go, I believe that Charter has the largest cylinder diamater of all of the D frame sized class of revolvers. This might impact use with the typical HKS Model DS speedloader. Perhaps an HKS model 10 or Safariland Comp II (model no. J-K2C) would work?

Thank you for bringing this up. I am very happy about this trend of new D frame sized revolvers. I am also looking to switch to a D frame sized gun and would love to find out more about current Charter QC and customer service.

JWintergreen
06-09-2021, 07:42 PM
After doing a little more browsing, it seems the new .357 is built on the "XL" frame. The gun is very similar to a D frame sized gun in length and weight, but has a slightly taller frame and a 1.60" diameter cylinder. Perhaps a HKS 586 or Safariland J-GL8C will work better. I guess we will have to play the waiting game to find out more. Charter also needs to update their website. Many of their new offerings are not listed. That does not inspire confidence.

On a side note, another sub 30 ounce six shot .38/.357 small frame revolver is a very good thing for the market.

*Eyeballs Ruger*:D

Stephanie B
06-09-2021, 07:48 PM
On a side note, another sub 30 ounce six shot .38/.357 small frame revolver is a very good thing for the market.

*Eyeballs Ruger*:D

No shit, Ruger! You’re being beaten by Charter Arms, fer chrissakes!

JWintergreen
06-09-2021, 07:53 PM
No shit, Ruger! You’re being beaten by Charter Arms, fer chrissakes!

That comment made me spit my sweet tea all over my laptop.

A six shot .38/.357 SP101 NEEDS to happen. A D frame sized gun should always have D frame capacity. It is time to address the elephant in the room. If lowly Charter Arms can offer something like this, Ruger sure can.

Moylan
06-09-2021, 08:01 PM
Yes, sorry about being unclear on the size! It's not as small as I'd like.

JWintergreen
06-09-2021, 08:11 PM
Yes, sorry about being unclear on the size! It's not as small as I'd like.

Understood. Finding info on Charter's newest offerings is tough for what ever reason. It is a little taller and wider than other revolvers in its class (Taurus 856, Colt Cobra/King Cobra, Kimber K6S, Charter's own Police Undercover, and the aforementioned SP101 that badly needs a frame update). I guess they added a little extra height and cylinder diameter for security sakes (I don't know what the frame material is). I think they also offer other calibers on this frame size as well. However, it seems to be comparable in length, weight, and grip size to other D frame sized revolvers.

Regardless of how this pans out, it is a good thing for the market. Yet another thing that makes me want to scream everytime I see an SP101.

vaglocker
06-10-2021, 09:49 AM
First I've heard of the 7 shot 32 version of this pistol and I'm really intrigued. My father has asked for my advice recently about a pistol for the house and honestly I've been struggling with coming up with a goldilocks solution. He will be 80 this year, had a stroke about 10 years ago so really only has full mobility and strength in one hand, and the good arm strength isn't that great. Initial thoughts were .22 revolver ala LCRx 3 inch but trigger pull on the 22s are too heavy for his current hand strength. I think his days of shooting .38 special are over (wadcutter included), but I think he could still manage decent marksmanship with a .32 wadcutter hence my interest in this particular revolver. So, provided proper vetting of the pistol by myself and a reasonable trigger, why wouldn't this be the perfect solution? 3 inch barrel, reasonable capacity, simple manual of arms,

Half Moon
06-10-2021, 10:13 AM
First I've heard of the 7 shot 32 version of this pistol and I'm really intrigued. My father has asked for my advice recently about a pistol for the house and honestly I've been struggling with coming up with a goldilocks solution. He will be 80 this year, had a stroke about 10 years ago so really only has full mobility and strength in one hand, and the good arm strength isn't that great. Initial thoughts were .22 revolver ala LCRx 3 inch but trigger pull on the 22s are too heavy for his current hand strength. I think his days of shooting .38 special are over (wadcutter included), but I think he could still manage decent marksmanship with a .32 wadcutter hence my interest in this particular revolver. So, provided proper vetting of the pistol by myself and a reasonable trigger, why wouldn't this be the perfect solution? 3 inch barrel, reasonable capacity, simple manual of arms,

FWIW, handled one at a gun show a couple years back. As I recall DA and SA trigger felt a little rough but were manageable. The rear sight trough seemed a bit crude in its cut but usable. The fiber optic front sight really popped though. Balance in the hand was nice. At an ask of $299 considered taking a flyer on it. My wife has hand issues stemming from an accident requiring hand surgery and can't handle any real amount of recoil anymore. Like for your dad, something like this loaded with .32 S&W Long wadcutters seems like a good option for her. We ended up spending on something else that day but have intermittently looked for another on Gunbroker.

Dave T
06-10-2021, 10:47 AM
A note of caution on the 7-shot 32 Charter. Everything I've read about them indicates they don't shoot to point of aim with anything. Charter's design of the front sight is way off.

YMMV,
Dave

JonInWA
06-10-2021, 02:21 PM
Given Charter Arm's reputation, I'd be exceptionally wary of any of their products, let alone a new model. I'd take a reliable, vetted 3" 6-shooter (or 7-shooter) over an unvetted, previously problematic manufacturer. Ruger's GP 100 3" variants, or a used Ruger Speed Six come to mind....I'd even be more inlined to test one of Kimber's K6 revolvers...

Best, Jon

Moylan
06-10-2021, 03:23 PM
This is why I have avoided the 3 inch Taurus 856, which seems like a great gun, but remains a Taurus. I have heard a lot of negatives about Charter, but at least I can say that I have never had a bad experience with them. That is perhaps because I have never had, or to the best of my recollection even touched a Charter. But still. So I was interested in a lightweight 6 shooter, like I had previously been interested in the 7 shooter 32 h&r. Still am interested in the latter, actually, and would almost certainly buy one if there were speedloaders. I doubt I'd ever actually carry it, but I'd like to have the option of considering it and deciding against.

Buckeye63
06-13-2021, 05:16 PM

Good revolver so far .. built on the Charter XL frame ..

Glenn E. Meyer
06-13-2021, 05:43 PM
There's lot of discussion of the Charter Arms Professional sight problems.

A fix - which I have no experience with the gun or the fix - bulzeye32@AOL.com charter arms

32 H&R fans rejoice (https://www.thehighroad.org/index.php?threads/32-h-r-fans-rejoice.849159/page-16#post-11943818)

Lon
06-13-2021, 08:03 PM

Thank you, buckeye63, for posting a picture. Everyone who posted previously with no pictures should be banned for life. I mean, really, people. At least a link if you don’t know how to post pics. All of us lazy people would really appreciate it.

Buckeye63
06-13-2021, 08:41 PM

I have a few Charters …. I had problems with one .. sent it in .. it was fixed and returned..

Not many companies that you can actually speak to the owner

JWintergreen
06-13-2021, 08:49 PM
Everyone who posted previously with no pictures should be banned for life. I mean, really, people. At least a link if you don’t know how to post pics. All of us lazy people would really appreciate it.

Baldanders
06-13-2021, 09:04 PM
A note of caution on the 7-shot 32 Charter. Everything I've read about them indicates they don't shoot to point of aim with anything. Charter's design of the front sight is way off.

YMMV,
Dave

After my 640 struggles, I should know not to get excited about fixed sight revolvers.

I wanna 7-shot .327 3" something. Should be enough for me for a long time, considering the power spectrum available.

JWintergreen
06-13-2021, 09:40 PM
After my 640 struggles, I should know not to get excited about fixed sight revolvers.

I wanna 7-shot .327 3" something. Should be enough for me for a long time, considering the power spectrum available.

Sorry to hear about your 640 issues. I had a similar problem with my 3" GP100, but Ruger customer service took care of me, and now it is right on with 158 grain magnums. I really like fixed sight revolvers, as long as they are in the ballpark with standard weight bullets (158 grain in .38/.357).

It is not a seven shooter, but Ruger offers the six shot .327 SP101 with a 3" barrel. With that said, I think a .327 LCRX with a 3" barrel would make more sense in the Ruger lineup. The SP101 should really be a six shot .38/.357. Ruger recently made some modifications to the GP frame to fix the seven round rimlock issue, and increased cylinder diameter. Hopefully, the SP frame will recieve the same treatment, to take away the one advantage that other revolvers in its class have over it.

A seven shot .327 Federal might work with a D frame size...ish cylinder (roughly 1.40" in diameter). The Single Seven single action has a 1.418" diameter cylinder, which is very similar to the other D frame class of revolvers (856, Police Undercover, Cobra, new King Cobra, and K6S). There also seems to be plenty of meat (sorry about the phrasing) between the chambers. A revised SP101 might also be the ticket for that combination. Yet another reason for Ruger to do this.... Get your sh*t together Ruger.

It is also good to hear a solid customer service report from Charter. Good CS is becoming more and more of a rarity. That is always something that folks should consider when shopping for a new firearm. That is one my biggest aversions to some of the new D frame sized revolvers.

gp100man
06-13-2021, 11:14 PM
I have the Charter Arms Professional II(#63526) in 6 shot .357 magnum. I like it very much. Great revolver.
THE HKS 586-A Speedloader fit my #63526 perfectly. This speedloader designed for the GP-100/SW686 is the
right size for the Charter arms Professional #63526.
Good article about this piece in the June/July 2021American Rifleman magazine.
On facebook, if you look up Charter Arms classics, and scroll down, you will find a lot on this revolver.
Can't figure out how to post on this page from off my computer. It says from URL only.

For reference purposes: CHARTER ARMS PROFESSIONAL II (63526) Black nitride 3 inch.
CHARTER ARMS PROFESSIONAL (73526) Stainless Steel 3 inch.
CHARTER ARMS PROFESSIONAL III (63546) Black Nitride 4.2 inch.
CHARTER ARMS PROFESSIONAL VI (73546) Stainless Steel 4.2 inch.
https://www.hogislandgunparts.com/HKS-586-Speed-Loader-38-357-p/mr586.htm

Buckeye63
06-15-2021, 03:44 AM
https://www.americanrifleman.org/content/review-charter-arms-professional/

Above mentioned article

lee n. field
06-15-2021, 08:43 AM
https://www.americanrifleman.org/content/review-charter-arms-professional/

Above mentioned article

Hits all the usual talking points I see in articles about Charter revolvers.

I wonder how fragile that fiberoptic front sight is.

I've had 3 Charters ever, all in the past decade. Interesting design. I just wish the transfer bar wasn't so prone to breaking in what, for me, is normal handling and use. And wasn't such a PITA to replace.

Buckeye63
06-15-2021, 10:32 AM
Hits all the usual talking points I see in articles about Charter revolvers.

I wonder how fragile that fiberoptic front sight is.

I've had 3 Charters ever, all in the past decade. Interesting design. I just wish the transfer bar wasn't so prone to breaking in what, for me, is normal handling and use. And wasn't such a PITA to replace.

My sight has held up well
Shouldn’t be hard to replace .. In the past I have changed out the fiber optic on other guns .. trim and use a match

Buckeye63
06-15-2021, 10:41 AM
After 32 years of owning at least one Charter .. I never had a transfer bar to break
But I have heard of people have had problems with them .. Im lucky

Half Moon
06-15-2021, 11:10 AM
After 32 years of owning at least one Charter .. I never had a transfer bar to break
But I have heard of people have had problems with them .. Im lucky

I've only owned one Charter and I don't remember the model. I think it was 1970's production and was their J snub equivalent (undercover, maybe?). It did indeed break the transfer bar in the short time I had it. Then again they've been through so many changes of ownership not sure it says anything about quality control and design durability today.

willie
06-25-2021, 05:03 PM
I put Charter revolvers into that category of handguns that are seldom fired but perhaps carried. Unless something about them has changed, they do not withstand high volume firing. The Professional described here is similar in size to a gp100. I would prefer a smaller revolver even though it would be a 5 shot.

Zeke38
06-25-2021, 07:12 PM
I've had a checkered past with Charters, their 44 3" Bulldog I would buy again. My first Bulldog 44 was in my 20s and I thought Keith loads should work. Today 50 years later, a well designed full wadcutter weighing 200-215grains over a powder that would develop an honest 800fps is very doable.

The professional by Charter does not weigh in the GP100 class, which is 40ozs and I have them. But they weigh 25 oz and are roughly the same size as a 3" SP101 Ruger.

JWintergreen
06-25-2021, 07:33 PM
I've had a checkered past with Charters, their 44 3" Bulldog I would buy again. My first Bulldog 44 was in my 20s and I thought Keith loads should work. Today 50 years later, a well designed full wadcutter weighing 200-215grains over a powder that would develop an honest 800fps is very doable.

The professional by Charter does not weigh in the GP100 class, which is 40ozs and I have them. But they weigh 25 oz and are roughly the same size as a 3" SP101 Ruger.

I agree that the Charter Professional is in the same class as the SP101 (the D frame sized class) despite being slightly taller and having a bigger cylinder. American Rifleman got it wrong by calling it a "medium size revolver." Other guns in this class include the Charter Police Undercover (six shot .38 on Bulldog frame), Colt Cobra/King Cobra, Taurus 856, and Kimber K6S. All of these guns have something in common that makes the SP101 stick out like a sore thumb. Take a hint Ruger.

I have considered the Police Undercover from time to time, but I have not seen/read many reviews on those little guns.

DanTheWolfman
12-12-2022, 10:14 AM

Hey Buckeye is the Professional still holding up good?

This, and their new Boxer....give specs/capacity that I really like to weight ratio

Tamara
12-12-2022, 10:47 AM
I was as diplomatic as I could be with the last Charter I reviewed (https://www.shootingillustrated.com/content/range-review-charter-arms-bulldog-xl-in-45-colt/), but I was pretty underwhelmed.

The Bulldog Pug I owned in the Nineties was the worst firearm I've ever owned that wasn't made of zinc.

Buckeye63
12-12-2022, 12:24 PM
Hey Buckeye is the Professional still holding up good?

This, and their new Boxer....give specs/capacity that I really like to weight ratio

I haven’t fed it alot of 357 mag ..and not alot of even 38+P .. due to the expense .. mostly 38spl standard pressure
And it is as tight as new

The cylinder diameter is larger than a S&W L frame .. I wish Charter would build a 7 shot 38spl on this setup

DanTheWolfman
12-12-2022, 01:11 PM
I haven’t fed it alot of 357 mag ..and not alot of even 38+P .. due to the expense .. mostly 38spl standard pressure

The cylinder diameter is larger than a S&W L frame .. I wish Charter would build a 7 shot 38spl on this setup

I've got 7shots I could carry but this looks nice and much lighter weight so...maybe someday I will pick one up thanks

TheKuduKing
12-17-2022, 01:55 AM
The usual Charter haters come out whenever that company is mentioned, but truth be told they are quite strong and serviceable guns. However, they are intentionally light-framed guns, and they will not withstand thousands of hot loads without developing the usual revolver problems of end-shake and timing (common to all DA revolvers). They are also economical, so neither are they exquisite specimens of the gun making art - the finish, rougher polish and tool marks will not appeal to the connoisseur of fine pre-war Colts.

Numerous gun makers large and small have gone through bankruptcy, reorganization and distressed sales, only to recover (Colt and S&W come to mind). Charter Arms was founded in 1964 and has always been a smaller company, and so inevitable changes of ownership did result in some distress during 1996-2005. Charter was late to change from traditional manufacturing techniques and so there were some growing pains. They have been back on their feet for many years now and selling guns faster than they can make them.

Their website is cranky and does not show their entire product line. In addition, they add new versions of existing models frequently during the year. Being a small company, I suppose they don't put enough resources into updating their site. Also, supply chain and other issues facing most manufacturers have forced unplanned changes regarding which models are offered and how often. However, a quick search of various distributors shows a plethora of models and variations.

I have had numerous Charters over the years. They offer very lightweight and serviceable revolvers. Their QC is no different than S&W, Ruger and Colt, which unfortunately doesn't say much today. However, they have the same Lifetime Warranty as S&W, and in the event of a problem they will cheerfully fix it on their dime and do it much faster than the others. The last brand new S&W revolver I purchased in February was a disaster right out of the box, and it took S&W nearly 3 months to replace it after being returned. Charter turn-around is generally about 3 weeks on repairs.

And they are 100% American made.

The Charter Arms Professional (blue) or Professional IV (Stainless) in .32 H&R Magnum, and are NOT built on the XL frame. They are built on the Large frame, which is the same as the 5-shot .44 Special Bulldog, the 5-shot .357 Mag Pug and the 6-shot .38 Special Police Undercover.

Charter Professional .32 H&R Magnum (Large Frame)

Charter Police Undercover (Large Frame)

The XL frame as noted by others is an oversized frame for their 5-shot niche guns in .45 Colt, .45 ACP, .41 Mag and the 6-shot .357 Magnum Professional II, III, V and IV.

Charter .41 Mag Pug (XL Frame)

I have carrying the Police Undercover .38 Special and the Undercoverette in .32 H&R magnum. The latter is built on their Small Frame and is a 6-shot. Charter has been building mostly aluminum frames lately - as S&W is, due to both demand, lower cost of raw material, and easier machining. The Police Undercover and Undercoverette were originally steel frame guns and they are now aluminum frames.

Charter Undercoverette

I like the aluminum frames much better! The guns are finished better and have better trigger pulls. Speaking of the latter, these are greatly improved on the newest Charters. The trigger pull is more Colt-like than S&W. Also, Charters lock up MUCH tighter than S&W guns, much in the manner of Colts, and they have always had locking at the front of the cylinder on the yoke.

The .32 H&R Mag guns are ideal for recoil sensitive folks. The guns ship with very serviceable rubbery-synthetic grips that fit a wide variety of hands as they are not too thick. All grips for Charter arms are interchangeable regardless of frame size, as the grip frame is a separate piece and is the same for all. The Professionals shown above have Charter factory grips in synthetic and wood. The Hogue grips pictured on the Police Undercover are even better for folks with grip issues as they are even more cushioning, yet not overly large like the Pachmayrs.

None of these guns have given me a lick of trouble. The sights on Charters are generally sighted for heavy standard bullet weights at 7 yards with center hold, which is plenty adequate for self-defense at typical distances. Most of mine I have filed the front blade to match to the trajectory of lighter or faster handloads @ 15 yards - but I'm purist.

The fiber optic front sight on the original Professionals resulted in a low POI with anything other than a so-called "combat hold". They were still usable at normal defensive distances, but not ideal. The current production has addressed the issue with a change to the barrel rib. Charter will fix older guns than are shooting low - as you can see on my blued model they fitted an adjustable rear sight.

The most effective factory load in .32 H&R Magnum that is readily available - Buffalo Bore aside - is the Hornady 80 grain FTX. The recoil is quite mild and the performace is superior to .32 S&W Long factory wadcutters, which are particularly underpowered and designed for bullseye shooting.

lee n. field
12-17-2022, 12:00 PM
The usual Charter haters come out whenever that company is mentioned, but truth be told they are quite strong and serviceable guns.

None of these guns have given me a lick of trouble.

I've had three, a couple Undercovers about a decade ago, and a 2010-ish .44 Bulldog I bought a couple years ago. Each has needed to go back to the factory at least once. Most common (5 times in 3 guns), broken transfer bar. (Yes, even with snap caps.)

Tamara
12-17-2022, 12:10 PM
I've had three, a couple Undercovers about a decade ago, and a 2010-ish .44 Bulldog I bought a couple years ago. Each has needed to go back to the factory at least once. Most common (5 times in 3 guns), broken transfer bar. (Yes, even with snap caps.)

Yeah, working in places where people bring their broken guns has given me a slightly larger statistical universe to observe than the average consumer.

I will say that your experience is, sadly, not surprising to me.

But I’m a “hater”. *shrug*

camel
12-17-2022, 12:26 PM
I love the idea of the bulldog. The execution leaves some to be be desired. If they actually focused on putting out quality with fewer models. And better engineering. They would have a winner. Or winners.

TheKuduKing
12-18-2022, 05:12 PM

May I suggest opening a lemonade stand? Lemons seem to be attracted to you.

I did a quick count of the number of Charter Arms revolvers I both own now, and have owned over the years, and it's in excess of two dozen. Total round count around 15,000 rounds. Some more than others, probably one .44 Bulldog the most with almost 2000 rounds through it. Have never experienced a broken transfer bar, nor ever heard of anyone else experiencing one. Also have never used a "snap cap" in thousands of dry fires.

Can it happen? Of course, it's a mechanical object. So can hammer nose on a pre-revision S&W revolver break. I had one break one three times on the same S&W Model 13. Should I have condemned all S&Ws?

Yeah, working in places where people bring their broken guns has given me a slightly larger statistical universe to observe than the average consumer.

Asking an armorer, or someone who repair guns, which gun to buy, is like asking a car mechanic which car to buy. You receive a skewed response because all they see are broken problems. There is a good video online of a retired police armorer talking about all the problems with old-school pre-revision S&W revolvers, and amount of repairs they required to keep in service. He's not wrong, but it's a skewed viewpoint. If you watched that video you would never buy a pre-revision S&W revolver.

Owning, extensively shooting and training with, and daily carrying, of well over a hundred revolvers of all manufacturers over the past 40+ years, competing with revolvers for the same amount of time, being a firearms instructor for a well-known national law enforcement agency (which used revolvers during my early tenure) for over 30 years, and being a certified S&W armorer with experience on working on not only S&W but also Colt, Ruger and Charter revolvers... has given me a slightly larger statistical universe to observe, than the average person who works in places where people bring broken guns.

My previous opinion remains unchanged. Within their realm, Charters can give good service, as well S&W, Colt and Ruger products. Now retired, I can choose from a wide array of defensive arms. Charters are amongst them.

I guess I'm a realist.

Tamara
12-18-2022, 05:25 PM
I did a quick count of the number of Charter Arms revolvers I both own now, and have owned over the years, and it's in excess of two dozen. Total round count around 15,000 rounds. Some more than others, probably one .44 Bulldog the most with almost 2000 rounds through it.

Well, I think I've found our disconnect. ;)

DanTheWolfman
12-18-2022, 08:35 PM
I'm going to hop in with what I have handled at gun stores....the .38 charters and a bright stainless .357 seemed...not the best quality.

The Boxer I handled seemed pretty decently good and I really like it's specs and that of the Professional.

A couple days ago I handled a New Pitbull 9mm and the quality seemed pretty darn good. Those in 9 40 and 45acp all seem interesting to me.

I can't imagine the recoil of the .41 magnum.....pretty light revo for that I would think and ammo hard to find so it would be like Underwood.....

So is it a who works on Monday thing or what? IDK

lee n. field
12-18-2022, 08:49 PM
May I suggest opening a lemonade stand? Lemons seem to be attracted to you.

Maybe.

Did I save it .....

This is where they broke, every single time. Always the same place, and it looks like metal fatigue. When I got the Bulldog (used) there was a broken bit of transfer bar in the box, and a handwritten note not to dry fire. I counted. The transfer bar broke at around 800 dry fires. With snap caps.

I bought a couple from Charter (CA will sell you parts other companies won't, which is nice), and had a local guy install one, as it's a 3 hand PITA to get the trigger and attached parts back in once it's out.

(Not, BTW, the only thing mine have had to have work done for.)

DanTheWolfman
12-21-2022, 05:35 PM
Trying to get more info....

Both still happy?

DanTheWolfman
12-21-2022, 05:36 PM
I have the Charter Arms Professional II(#63526) in 6 shot .357 magnum. I like it very much. Great revolver.
THE HKS 586-A Speedloader fit my #63526 perfectly. This speedloader designed for the GP-100/SW686 is the
right size for the Charter arms Professional #63526.
Good article about this piece in the June/July 2021American Rifleman magazine.
On facebook, if you look up Charter Arms classics, and scroll down, you will find a lot on this revolver.
Can't figure out how to post on this page from off my computer. It says from URL only.

For reference purposes: CHARTER ARMS PROFESSIONAL II (63526) Black nitride 3 inch.
CHARTER ARMS PROFESSIONAL (73526) Stainless Steel 3 inch.
CHARTER ARMS PROFESSIONAL III (63546) Black Nitride 4.2 inch.
CHARTER ARMS PROFESSIONAL VI (73546) Stainless Steel 4.2 inch.
https://www.hogislandgunparts.com/HKS-586-Speed-Loader-38-357-p/mr586.htm

So today confirmed the .357 Professional is on the XL frame...like their .45s...

The .32 Professional is on their Large Frame.

So was in two guys that had the .357 version? And if so, what size holsters kinda worked best?

What weight .357's hit closest to POA/POI?

How have they held up? Cheers,

DanTheWolfman
12-21-2022, 05:40 PM

So today confirmed the .357 Professional is on the XL frame...like their .45s...

So was in two guys that had the .357 version? And if so, what size holsters kinda worked best? It seems like that would be a lot bigger than an sp101 but smaller than gp100? Which holster would be better? Or like inbetween those so L-frame 686ish?

Do you know what wt. .357's seemed to hit near POA/POI and similar question re .38s? Thank you

So do we have two that are happy with it?

Buckeye can you list what models/calibers you have and which ones you like the best? Is one of those a Pitbull and how easy is it to extract cases?

Any of them a 6-shot Police Undercoverette the predecessor to the Boxer?

Thanks

Buckeye63
12-22-2022, 10:20 PM

So was in two guys that had the .357 version? And if so, what size holsters kinda worked best? It seems like that would be a lot bigger than an sp101 but smaller than gp100? Which holster would be better? Or like inbetween those so L-frame 686ish?

Do you know what wt. .357's seemed to hit near POA/POI and similar question re .38s? Thank you

So do we have two that are happy with it?

Buckeye can you list what models/calibers you have and which ones you like the best? Is one of those a Pitbull and how easy is it to extract cases?

Any of them a 6-shot Police Undercoverette the predecessor to the Boxer?

Thanks

For my Charter XL framed 357 Professional Im using a modified K frame holster

The Bulldog Frames .. ( 44spl , 38 Police 6shot , 9mm , 40S&W ,32 H&R 7 shot )

The Boxer is a Aluminum Bulldog frame .. I have seen it as a 6 shot 38 & 7 shot 32 H&R ..

I have had pretty good luck with the couple dozen ( or more ) Charters over the years
But it seems there QC has been lacking a bit , like most manufacturers..

Buckeye63
12-22-2022, 10:23 PM

Pic of my 45acp

DanTheWolfman
12-22-2022, 10:35 PM

Pic of my 45acp

Thank you for replying.

Re K frame holster...you had to make it a big bigger/stretch it for cylinder width or what?

Are those like Pachmayr 02523 Compact Grips, Charter Arms Black on that? That looks great!

Do all Charter Arms from Small to XL take the Same Grips???

There are some Wood ones I would really like, and there are some good looking G10's on their site but those might tear hands up in .357

The Boxer I didled, and the one my friend reviewed were pretty good quality it seemed just some tool marks. The 9mm Pitbull I handled last week in gun store looked really good quality, solid lockup etc.

Unfortunately the .38's and the .357 Polished 3" Mag Pug I handled in stores weren't as good.

So I am a bit torn.

I really like what it seems the Professional, Boxer, and Pitbulls bring to the table especially.

Which are your favorites, and how it that Pitbull .45acp to shoot? What do you like and dislike about it and other ones?

Thanks so much

DanTheWolfman
12-22-2022, 10:58 PM
The usual Charter haters come out whenever that company is mentioned, but truth be told they are quite strong and serviceable guns. However, they are intentionally light-framed guns, and they will not withstand thousands of hot loads without developing the usual revolver problems of end-shake and timing (common to all DA revolvers). They are also economical, so neither are they exquisite specimens of the gun making art - the finish, rougher polish and tool marks will not appeal to the connoisseur of fine pre-war Colts.

Numerous gun makers large and small have gone through bankruptcy, reorganization and distressed sales, only to recover (Colt and S&W come to mind). Charter Arms was founded in 1964 and has always been a smaller company, and so inevitable changes of ownership did result in some distress during 1996-2005. Charter was late to change from traditional manufacturing techniques and so there were some growing pains. They have been back on their feet for many years now and selling guns faster than they can make them.

Their website is cranky and does not show their entire product line. In addition, they add new versions of existing models frequently during the year. Being a small company, I suppose they don't put enough resources into updating their site. Also, supply chain and other issues facing most manufacturers have forced unplanned changes regarding which models are offered and how often. However, a quick search of various distributors shows a plethora of models and variations.

I have had numerous Charters over the years. They offer very lightweight and serviceable revolvers. Their QC is no different than S&W, Ruger and Colt, which unfortunately doesn't say much today. However, they have the same Lifetime Warranty as S&W, and in the event of a problem they will cheerfully fix it on their dime and do it much faster than the others. The last brand new S&W revolver I purchased in February was a disaster right out of the box, and it took S&W nearly 3 months to replace it after being returned. Charter turn-around is generally about 3 weeks on repairs.

And they are 100% American made.

The Charter Arms Professional (blue) or Professional IV (Stainless) in .32 H&R Magnum, and are NOT built on the XL frame. They are built on the Large frame, which is the same as the 5-shot .44 Special Bulldog, the 5-shot .357 Mag Pug and the 6-shot .38 Special Police Undercover.

Charter Professional .32 H&R Magnum (Large Frame)

Charter Police Undercover (Large Frame)

The XL frame as noted by others is an oversized frame for their 5-shot niche guns in .45 Colt, .45 ACP, .41 Mag and the 6-shot .357 Magnum Professional II, III, V and IV.

Charter .41 Mag Pug (XL Frame)

I have carrying the Police Undercover .38 Special and the Undercoverette in .32 H&R magnum. The latter is built on their Small Frame and is a 6-shot. Charter has been building mostly aluminum frames lately - as S&W is, due to both demand, lower cost of raw material, and easier machining. The Police Undercover and Undercoverette were originally steel frame guns and they are now aluminum frames.

Charter Undercoverette

I like the aluminum frames much better! The guns are finished better and have better trigger pulls. Speaking of the latter, these are greatly improved on the newest Charters. The trigger pull is more Colt-like than S&W. Also, Charters lock up MUCH tighter than S&W guns, much in the manner of Colts, and they have always had locking at the front of the cylinder on the yoke.

The .32 H&R Mag guns are ideal for recoil sensitive folks. The guns ship with very serviceable rubbery-synthetic grips that fit a wide variety of hands as they are not too thick. All grips for Charter arms are interchangeable regardless of frame size, as the grip frame is a separate piece and is the same for all. The Professionals shown above have Charter factory grips in synthetic and wood. The Hogue grips pictured on the Police Undercover are even better for folks with grip issues as they are even more cushioning, yet not overly large like the Pachmayrs.

None of these guns have given me a lick of trouble. The sights on Charters are generally sighted for heavy standard bullet weights at 7 yards with center hold, which is plenty adequate for self-defense at typical distances. Most of mine I have filed the front blade to match to the trajectory of lighter or faster handloads @ 15 yards - but I'm purist.

The fiber optic front sight on the original Professionals resulted in a low POI with anything other than a so-called "combat hold". They were still usable at normal defensive distances, but not ideal. The current production has addressed the issue with a change to the barrel rib. Charter will fix older guns than are shooting low - as you can see on my blued model they fitted an adjustable rear sight.

The most effective factory load in .32 H&R Magnum that is readily available - Buffalo Bore aside - is the Hornady 80 grain FTX. The recoil is quite mild and the performace is superior to .32 S&W Long factory wadcutters, which are particularly underpowered and designed for bullseye shooting.

Wow this post gives so much I should have read it a few times originally.

If I decided to get the Professional .357.....I think it is all of 25 ounces...and I have more .357 ammo than .38 so...
IF I changed the grips which would you change them to? I love the looks of Rosewood Grips the best and might buy Premium Gun Grips online to get a better look. They offer a G10 Grip on the Charter site or Amazon w a red/black color scheme would look great but worried would char up hands w .357. Other .357's I shoot are with Altamont Grips...but much heavier at 34.5-37ounce range.

Or do you think I should get the Pachmayr 02523 Compact Grips or Better the Hogue Monogrip? I can handle recoil pretty good, but 25 vs 35 ounces is going to be a substantial difference I am sure.

I am a big guy and concealment isn't a factor would probably carry OWB in a Don Hume Holster since they usually hook me up and they offer one that fits the Pitbull .45acp at 3:30ish though I prefer a no cant at 3oclock that seems to be best option. Or fork over money to MLCustomShop which are the ones on Charters website. I do have a couple owb leather GP100 Holsters and technically a K-frame holster already.

I did talk to Nick on the phone a couple times yesterday......though I didn't realize at the time it was the CEO I was talking to lol. That is something.

Any thoughts appreciated. Thank you

P.S. it looks like Taurus 85/856 Grips would almost be the same as Charter Grips looking at pics...w maybe just the grip screw hole is farther back on one vs the other. IDK just an observation looking at pics of the Premium Gun Grips online.

Buckeye63
12-23-2022, 12:17 AM
Thank you for replying.

Re K frame holster...you had to make it a big bigger/stretch it for cylinder width or what?

Are those like Pachmayr 02523 Compact Grips, Charter Arms Black on that? That looks great!

Do all Charter Arms from Small to XL take the Same Grips???

There are some Wood ones I would really like, and there are some good looking G10's on their site but those might tear hands up in .357

The Boxer I didled, and the one my friend reviewed were pretty good quality it seemed just some tool marks. The 9mm Pitbull I handled last week in gun store looked really good quality, solid lockup etc.

Unfortunately the .38's and the .357 Polished 3" Mag Pug I handled in stores weren't as good.

So I am a bit torn.

I really like what it seems the Professional, Boxer, and Pitbulls bring to the table especially.

Which are your favorites, and how it that Pitbull .45acp to shoot? What do you like and dislike about it and other ones?

Thanks so much

The K frame holster .. I soaked it.. slipped the XL frame Charter in it ( wrapped in plastic wrap) formed it and let it dry

The 357 Professional has a really nice trigger .. Maybe because it has a Nitride finish ?

I don’t think I’ve had a Charter I didn’t like .. I had a Charter Bulldog in 44 that the yoke didn’t fit well .. Charter fixed it .. shipped it back .. but then the cylinder drug .. sent it back again .. it was then fixed ..I traded it off .. and purchased another.. that had much better fit and finish …