PDA

View Full Version : New Ford Maverick mini pickup

HeavyDuty
06-09-2021, 01:48 PM
Interesting…

https://www.ford.com/trucks/maverick/2022/

https://www.ford.com/cmslibs/content/dam/vdm_ford/live/en_us/ford/nameplate/maverick/2022/collections/3-2/P758_Hybrid_XLT_08_219.jpg/_jcr_content/renditions/cq5dam.web.1440.1440.jpeg

GyroF-16
06-09-2021, 01:58 PM
Odd that Ford chose “Maverick”, which I associate with the 1970s “sporty” family sedan. Seems like “Ranger” would have been the logical name for a smaller pickup truck.
But I obviously don’t work in marketing...

UNK
06-09-2021, 02:05 PM
Probably everything the average urban dweller needs. Haul a bit without pay truck gas bills. Ford and CVT Im not sure how that tranny rates. The main thing that kept me from buying an Escape was transmission problems. Like completely replace it outside of warranty problems.

Guerrero
06-09-2021, 02:06 PM
https://thumbs.gfycat.com/DependableCapitalAstrangiacoral-max-1mb.gif

Suvorov
06-09-2021, 02:15 PM
Apparently only urbanites and Jen Psaki need apply.

idahojess
06-09-2021, 02:21 PM
Born in the 70's and raised in the 80's, I always regard the "Maverick" as a really beat-to-shit piece-of-garbage car, usually with filthy exhaust and barely running.

The Pinto seemed more refined. I had one of those, in a station wagon style. Maybe they'll bring that name back?

NEPAKevin
06-09-2021, 02:32 PM
Reminds me of the Explore Sport Trac or maybe a Honda Ridgeline?

O4L
06-09-2021, 02:35 PM
Reminds me of the Explore Sport Trac or maybe a Honda Ridgeline?Yep.

Hambo
06-09-2021, 02:45 PM
Odd that Ford chose “Maverick”, which I associate with the 1970s “sporty” family sedan.

Yeah, sporty...

Flamingo
06-09-2021, 02:55 PM
Wouldn't it be a Ranchero (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Ranchero) not an el camino?

HeavyDuty
06-09-2021, 03:24 PM
Wouldn't it be a Ranchero (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Ranchero) not an el camino?

Very similar to my old one, I don’t remember what year it was.

I actually have a soft spot for the old Maverick. When I was in HS ca. 1978 or so I had a job delivering prescriptions for a local mom and pop pharmacy (fox, meet henhouse) and they had a beat to hell Maverick. Us drivers had an abandoned railroad crossing on one of the shortcuts, it was a high crest. We all tried to beat each other for amount of air achieved and distance travelled. That poor car… later replaced with a Fairmont that was so underpowered that it would hardly unload the suspension on the crest.

WOLFIE
06-09-2021, 04:51 PM
Doesn’t Ford have a small pickup truck? I admit I didn’t read the article

Suvorov
06-09-2021, 05:02 PM
Anyone know what platform this is based on?

fly out
06-09-2021, 05:32 PM

NGP
06-09-2021, 05:39 PM

C2, same as the bronco sport.

Greg
06-09-2021, 05:51 PM
Screw that, I want an updated Canyonero

Half Moon
06-09-2021, 06:05 PM
Screw that, I want an updated Canyonero

Canyonero?!? Bah! It's a clown car.

You want a car that makes men respect you and women wobbly in the knees you get this:

Remember, you can't spell Studamino without stud...

:-P

OlongJohnson
06-09-2021, 06:20 PM
https://www.ford.com.au/about-ford/History/falcon-ute/

Half Moon
06-09-2021, 06:28 PM
https://www.ford.com.au/about-ford/History/falcon-ute/

Gotta say, as much as I have Ford-ish leanings, if I was going for an Australian trar (cruck?) the Holden always spoke more to me:

CSW
06-09-2021, 06:35 PM
An old maverick with a 302....

Holeshot central!

ccmdfd
06-09-2021, 06:50 PM
Odd that Ford chose “Maverick”, which I associate with the 1970s “sporty” family sedan. Seems like “Ranger” would have been the logical name for a smaller pickup truck.
But I obviously don’t work in marketing...

Maybe they are going after Top Gun fans.

CleverNickname
06-09-2021, 07:10 PM
Gotta say, as much as I have Ford-ish leanings, if I was going for an Australian trar (cruck?) the Holden always spoke more to me:
I wish we had more (any) utes in the US market. I like my Kia Stinger but if Kia would've replaced the hatch and back seats with a truck bed, that would be the ideal vehicle for me.

BobM
06-09-2021, 07:55 PM

Holeshot central!

My uncle had one until my cousin totaled it

Borderland
06-09-2021, 08:11 PM
Whatever it is, it needs jump seats for the kids. Round 'em up, move 'em out.

https://i.ibb.co/1GsgqMq/1986-subaru-brat-pic-9209949507203417377-1600x1200.jpg (https://imgbb.com/)

Borderland
06-09-2021, 08:26 PM
Maybe they are going after Top Gun fans.

That's probably a good marketing demographic. Late 30's, early 40's and pavement dwellers. I liked the movie but I spotted the F-5's right away having worked with a allied AF that used them. But it's Hollywood and budgets matter.

KellyinAvon
06-09-2021, 08:32 PM

Holeshot central!

Back in the day I had a bud who had a Maverick (Grabber package) with a 302. It would get up and go!

awp_101
06-09-2021, 08:33 PM
Yeah, sporty...

Hell yeah sporty
https://live.staticflickr.com/7370/12883775573_f288b4173d_c.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/kCuHBB)

Not mine sadly. IIRC it was a 302 GT with a 351 stroker in it.

AKDoug
06-09-2021, 08:53 PM
My daughter is in the market for a new vehicle and she's looking into this one. I laughed at first, then after I reviewed it I realized it was perfect for her. It's a great entry level vehicle that checks all the boxes she needs. We have a good Ford dealer nearby, so that's a plus.

Borderland
06-09-2021, 09:20 PM
My daughter is in the market for a new vehicle and she's looking into this one. I laughed at first, then after I reviewed it I realized it was perfect for her. It's a great entry level vehicle that checks all the boxes she needs. We have a good Ford dealer nearby, so that's a plus.

It's probably a good fit for a young person. I had a 65 Falcon PU and a 68 and 71 El Camino. The 71 was a company vehicle. I wasn't married when I had those and I loved those hybrid PU's. After awhile I discovered the SWB 4WD 1/2 ton pickup. I bought a 73 Dodge Power Wagon. After that I was lost in the world of body on frame 4WD. Last purchase was Toyota 4R a few years ago. I can't shake it. Probably a boomer thing.

Inkwell 41
06-09-2021, 10:12 PM
My uncle had one until my cousin totaled it

My mom had a ‘72 with a 302 and a floor mounted 3 speed automatic. It could move.

ACP230
06-09-2021, 11:43 PM
My brother had an original Maverick sedan.
Loud complaints came from him whenever I asked about it.
"It is horrible in the snow!" (And we had snow from October to May, eh?"

The new Maverick truck appeals to me and evidently comes in 4X4.

DocGKR
06-10-2021, 12:42 AM
Might be nice, but:

--Should be a "Ranchero" not "Maverick".

--The 4WD model does not come as hybrid.

--Bed is too short to put anything in.

--Doesn't Ford already have a "Ranger" small pick-up?

farscott
06-10-2021, 03:53 AM
Might be nice, but:

--Should be a "Ranchero" not "Maverick".

--The 4WD model does not come as hybrid.

--Bed is too short to put anything in.

--Doesn't Ford already have a "Ranger" small pick-up?

The current Ranger is larger than my 1998 F150 was; the Maverick is closer to the size of my 2010 Ranger. As for names, marketing will do marketing.

I do not want to say much as I will have parts on this vehicle, but most other OEMs could learn something about how to specify and verify electronics designs from Ford. Some might learn enough to not have power seats drain the vehicle battery even though the vehicle is unoccupied and OFF.

HeavyDuty
06-10-2021, 05:50 AM
I’m actually liking what I see. The CRV will need to be replaced before too long; Honda pissed me off and I’ve traditionally liked Fords. The price is attractive, and I don’t need a real truck or a big bed.

Hambo
06-10-2021, 06:06 AM

I liked the Subaru Baja, but they didn't last long. The new Maverick is closer to that than a truck. I rarely have more than one passenger in my Tacoma, and I don't haul lumber or bales of hay, so the Maverick could work for me in the brave new world of hybrid/electric. Still hoping for a meteor strike before it comes to that, but it's good to have options.

Coal Train
06-10-2021, 07:46 AM
I'm a bit surprised it took this long to come out with the a CUV based truck. Better looking and more capable than I thought it would be. I guess it makes a bit more sense to drop your car line if you can make a truck that gets 40 mpg. The folks that have El Accordo's seem to really like them so this could be a good seller for Ford.

I wish they would bring the innovative technology of "a bed you can reach inside without climbing a ladder" (back) to the full-size truck line.

My good friend in high school had a Tennessee Orange Maverick. It was a family car that sat in a field for a while. It was not powerful, stylish, or reliable.

Borderland
06-10-2021, 07:52 AM
I’m actually liking what I see. The CRV will need to be replaced before too long; Honda pissed me off and I’ve traditionally liked Fords. The price is attractive, and I don’t need a real truck or a big bed.

The only reason I didn't buy a Honda Ridgeline in 2019 was the CRV my wife drives. Honda used to build good vehicles. You can't count on that these days.

5pins
06-10-2021, 08:33 AM
If this was available last year when I got my Soul I would have jumped all over it. Great gas mileage, low price, and a bed. I just wanted something with good gas mileage for commuter work but miss having a bed for the small needs. I'm thinking trading my 2020 Soul when it comes out.

Navin Johnson
06-10-2021, 08:46 AM
Best to avoid being new product testers for any manufacture on your dime.... (hint at least a year)

Not sure what Honda did to PO the above posters but Ford does not know your name an inch after the warranty is gone. Honda will generally participate if one asks.

LOKNLOD
06-10-2021, 09:35 AM
The correct truck lineage name for this would be the Courier...

But Maverick is a good fit, and the people in the market for this don't likely know or care about the old car.

I think it’s got a lot of potential. If this had been established out on the market a couple years already it would have been a contender for me when I downsized from my Tundra to an Outback recently.

It has better truck styling than the Ridgeline and if they can really sell them anywhere close to that starting price that’ll be huge in the current market.

vcdgrips
06-10-2021, 09:44 AM
Color me moderately intrigued. I concur re buying a first year of almost anything. I would consider leasing one in 2023 when my 20 Jetta is up. I strongly concur that this checks a lot of boxes for a lot of folks

seats 4
can haul stuff
can tow stuff
can be had in awd
can be had in a hybrid
will likely have a street price sub 25 k well well equipped
may have a street price of sub 20 k in a more austere offering where awd is not wanted/needed
lots of Ford dealers
Ford did not take the bail out money

FWIW

CSW
06-10-2021, 10:00 AM
Whatever it is, it needs jump seats for the kids. Round 'em up, move 'em out.

https://i.ibb.co/1GsgqMq/1986-subaru-brat-pic-9209949507203417377-1600x1200.jpg (https://imgbb.com/)

Those seats just about compressed your spine on rough backroads...
Fun, yes, uncomfortable while four wheeling.... Absolutely.

Bratch
06-10-2021, 10:04 AM
I built an AWD for grins, added several options and the luxury package and ended up at $37k.

HeavyDuty
06-10-2021, 10:37 AM
Best to avoid being new product testers for any manufacture on your dime.... (hint at least a year)

Not sure what Honda did to PO the above posters but Ford does not know your name an inch after the warranty is gone. Honda will generally participate if one asks.

That’s how Honda lost me. My 2015 CR-V’s CVT puked at 101,200 miles (100k warranty, always serviced at the dealer on schedule) and they told me to FOAD.

Navin Johnson
06-10-2021, 11:00 AM
That’s how Honda lost me. My 2015 CR-V’s CVT puked at 101,200 miles (100k warranty, always serviced at the dealer on schedule) and they told me to FOAD.

Next time ask the dealer to ask the manufacturer for help with your problem. Unless their policies have changed Honda is very good about that. The dealer is fine with it too because they get paid either way. (But yes the dealer is not going to cover anything themselves)

Borderland
06-10-2021, 11:04 AM
The correct truck lineage name for this would be the Courier...

But Maverick is a good fit, and the people in the market for this don't likely know or care about the old car.

I think it’s got a lot of potential. If this had been established out on the market a couple years already it would have been a contender for me when I downsized from my Tundra to an Outback recently.

It has better truck styling than the Ridgeline and if they can really sell them anywhere close to that starting price that’ll be huge in the current market.

Ridgelines are close to 40K in the top trim. Basically just selling them on Honda's reputation now. The concept fits a lot of peoples lifestyles so not sure why they never really made the big leagues in sales.

LOKNLOD
06-10-2021, 12:19 PM
Ridgelines are close to 40K in the top trim. Basically just selling them on Honda's reputation now. The concept fits a lot of peoples lifestyles so not sure why they never really made the big leagues in sales.

When a buddy recently got into guns, he had to have a 1911, and “metal guns” despite 100% being better served by his preference of whichever Glock/Smith/Sig/HK/CZ plastic people popper he liked best. It’s a mental image, status thing.

Similarly people want trucks and they want a truck brand - and Honda isn’t a truck brand. It’s a soccer mom commuter brand.

The Ridgelines biggest failure in my mind is that it didn’t offer much for the trade off from other midsize trucks - it has a few neat features to the bed, but it wasn’t much cheaper, nor did it have meaningfully better gas mileage, than a Tacoma. As such it wasn’t a competitor as much as it was a virtue signal that you’re not a traditional truck guy. And that’s a much smaller market. The first ridgelines had a real love/hate styling, and the second gen went too swoopy feminine and car-like on the styling. The current update beefed the front end shape a bit and it’s looking better IMO.

Ford is toeing the line on that same alternate market (Hence: Maverick naming being a deliberate choice) but having the Ford brand and size/price/mpg being more distinct differentiators to help widen the niche and bridge into CUV and truck buyer markets.

We’ll see how that works out...

HeavyDuty
06-10-2021, 12:28 PM
Next time ask the dealer to ask the manufacturer for help with your problem. Unless their policies have changed Honda is very good about that. The dealer is fine with it too because they get paid either way. (But yes the dealer is not going to cover anything themselves)
Both Honda and the dealer couldn’t be assed to help. And this was with the Honda extended warranty (not aftermarket.) They can eat a bag of dicks so far as I’m concerned.

1911Nut
06-10-2021, 01:17 PM
I've been a (mostly) Ford fan and user (especially trucks) since 1970.

I like the Raptor and the F250/350 trucks with 4WD. I have owned both and put mucho, mucho miles on those platforms.

My wife was, for years, a huge Mustang fan.

But as each year passes, it seems to me that the company has lost touch with the ability to appeal to my taste. The new Maverick completely epitomizes that feeling.

I'm sure they will survive without my business.

Nephrology
06-10-2021, 08:41 PM
A crossover with a pickup bed? Meh pass

HeavyDuty
06-10-2021, 08:57 PM
I know it’s not a real truck, but I’ve always liked this kind of vehicle. I was giving a Ridgeline serious consideration before Honda didn’t stand by me, and loved my Ranchero. I always wanted a last version El Camino back in the day, and even briefly had a BRAT. I’ll be watching this one, since it’s built in the Escape platform I’m expecting no major issues. I’d still try to wait until the next model year, though.

Wise_A
06-11-2021, 08:14 AM
I like it. I just don't want one. AWD isn't available with the hybrid, otherwise you're limited to FF. And the interior looks cramped, even worse than the Jeep Gladiator. I'd really like to have a usable rear seat so I don't have to give up my truck when kids come along, and I'd like a roomy front so a woman might actually want to ride in it. F150 Supercrew Lariat it is.

But Ford really managed to pull off a nice interior. I didn't consider the Ranger because (a) it's got a four-cylinder, and (b) the Lariat-level interior is leather seats and plastic-y blah interior for over forty g's. The F150 might be another $20k, but at least you feel like you got something.

littlejerry
06-11-2021, 01:55 PM
For the price this is a very cool offering from Ford. I get lots of traditional truck buyers would turn their nose up at this, but what other new vehicle offers anything close to this utility for under $25k?

Agree on the Ridgeline comments. It was a cool idea with some nice features, but still just as big, inefficient, and expensive as a normal truck. The Maverick will fit in a small garage and be more useful than any CUV out there. Of this and been available ~5 years ago I would have bought one. Unfortunately I need a higher tow rating today and plan on buying a Ranger when the market returns to sanity.

5pins
06-11-2021, 04:24 PM
Any idea one when the dealers will actually has them on the lot?

NGP
06-11-2021, 07:36 PM
Any idea one when the dealers will actually has them on the lot?

Will probably be a looonnnggg time before you see one on a lot, if you really want one probably best to custom order, ford is throwing in 500$ for custom orders too.

5pins
06-12-2021, 07:12 AM
Will probably be a looonnnggg time before you see one on a lot, if you really want one probably best to custom order, ford is throwing in 500$ for custom orders too.

Kinda like to drive one before I buy one. Carmax offered me $17500, more than I paid for it, for my used 2020 Kia Soul. If I could really get that much out of it I would jump all over this.

Navin Johnson
06-12-2021, 08:29 AM
On Ford's vehicle builder an XLT AWD with nicer interior and a couple basic options is $32+

Sub $25 will be very basic FWD work truck.

HeavyDuty
06-12-2021, 09:09 AM
On Ford's vehicle builder an XLT AWD with nicer interior and a couple basic options is $32+

Sub $25 will be very basic FWD work truck.

I was able to load up an AWD for $35k. To be honest, that’s a little less than I expected.

Pistol Pete 10
06-12-2021, 10:28 AM
If it's cheap and you wait til year after next(it takes time to work out the bugs) it may be worth considering. It would haul most of the stuff I haul.

HeavyDuty
06-12-2021, 10:46 AM
If it's cheap and you wait til year after next(it takes time to work out the bugs) it may be worth considering. It would haul most of the stuff I haul.

I may be ok with late the first model year - it’s a proven platform.

vcdgrips
06-12-2021, 11:02 AM
"Sub $25 will be very basic FWD work truck."

Simply incorrect. Indeed, straight up wrong.

25,505- Sticker
https://shop.ford.com/configure/maverick/config/summary/Config%5B%7CFord%7CMaverick%7C2022%7C1%7C1.%7C...K U...96G.60B.51D.RET.AWD.999.XL.%5D?gnav=vhpnav

2022 XL Super Crew includes

2.0 Ecoboost Engine
AWD
4K tow pkg
Spray in bedliner
trailer hitch
full size spare

If you dumped the bedliner and spare, you would be under 25k. 24, 895 sticker.

I stand by my original assertion: basic transportation with a twist at sub 20K, solidly equipped AWD with 4k of towing at 25k.

YMMV.

HeavyDuty
06-12-2021, 11:07 AM

25,505- Sticker
https://shop.ford.com/configure/maverick/config/summary/Config%5B%7CFord%7CMaverick%7C2022%7C1%7C1.%7C...K U...96G.60B.51D.RET.AWD.999.XL.%5D?gnav=vhpnav

2.0 Ecoboost Engine
AWD
4K tow pkg
Spray in bedliner
trailer hitch
full size spare

I stand by my original assertion: basic transportation with a twist at sub 20K, solidly equipped AWD with 4k of towing at 25k.

YMMV.

That’s my assessment too. I came up with several workable AWD configurations for $25k or less.

littlejerry
06-12-2021, 11:42 AM

25,505- Sticker

2.0 Ecoboost Engine
AWD
4K tow pkg
Spray in bedliner
trailer hitch
full size spare

YMMV.

That's pretty awesome. My wife's 2019 CX5 Turbo with AWD isn't in the same class(it's borderline luxury), but it was ~34K. Granted it's a nice car with leather, heated and cooled seats, HUD, etc. But it's not nearly as useful as a Maverick would be. There are more budget options from Kia and Hyundai but you aren't going to find a "nice" turbo AWD anything of this size for less than $25k MSRP.

The one area I think they missed the mark is the folding rear bench. A 60/40 split bench is almost a requirement if you have car seats. It's not practical to uninstall your car seat(s) every time you need to access back seat storage.

Bratch
06-12-2021, 09:19 PM
I may be wrong but from what I have been able to tell you have to go to the Lariat Luxury package to get any type of Bluetooth/phone connectivity.

I don’t care about too many creature comforts but phone interaction is almost a mandatory for me these days.

Wise_A
06-12-2021, 09:53 PM
Agreed. The Lariat trim level is decent, the others are frankly underwhelming. But it's like that throughout the ford pickup line.

beenalongtime
06-12-2021, 11:22 PM
I would like to know how long the bed actually is?
Also, since I have only once seen a front wheel drive pickup (due to being broke), I would like to know how it actually handles.

AKDoug
06-12-2021, 11:31 PM
I may be wrong but from what I have been able to tell you have to go to the Lariat Luxury package to get any type of Bluetooth/phone connectivity.

I don’t care about too many creature comforts but phone interaction is almost a mandatory for me these days. The bare bones XL version comes standard with 8" center stack with Apple Car Play or Android Auto. That implies it has Sync4 most likely.

Bratch
06-12-2021, 11:35 PM
The bare bones XL version comes standard with 8" center stack with Apple Car Play or Android Auto. That implies it has Sync4 most likely.

You are correct. I either completely missed it the day these were announced or Ford has updated the site but I sure don’t remember seeing the Apple Play on the XL before. I remember the 100A equipment package but I swear it only listed the AM/FM radio.

AKDoug
06-12-2021, 11:40 PM
You are correct. I either completely missed it the day these were announced or Ford has updated the site but I sure don’t remember seeing the Apple Play on the XL before. I remember the 100A equipment package but I swear it only listed the AM/FM radio. My brother's brother-in-law is a sales manager for a Ford dealer. We were chatting at my niece's wedding today. He said there isn't a Ford product anymore that doesn't come with bluetooth phone. It's a safety thing now. I'm not sure if he's correct, but I guess he should know. We've equipped every vehicle in my fleet with a bare bones Sony bluetooth stereo... from our '97 plow truck, 2001 Peterbilt, all the way up to our new 2021 Kenworth (who's factory BT never worked and Kenworth couldn't fix). Even my 1983 beater dump truck has one. It's is simply part of our life.

Willard
06-13-2021, 05:56 AM
Ford did not take the bail out money

Ford is the only domestic company I'd consider for this reason, but then again, writing a check to the UAW is like sending money to the DNC, so pass. Otherwise, I'd seriously consider this.

Borderland
06-13-2021, 09:56 AM
Ford is the only domestic company I'd consider for this reason, but then again, writing a check to the UAW is like sending money to the DNC, so pass. Otherwise, I'd seriously consider this.

I've literally given up on US manufacturers. I went almost 30 years without buying a US built vehicle until I bought an 07 Duramax. Once again I got screwed. Reliability wasn't there and cost per mile to maintain was astronomical. So I'm done now.

rob_s
07-18-2021, 05:39 AM
For everyone that is to going to buy one anyway…

https://youtu.be/ZK4rNm1GnlA

Patrick Taylor
07-18-2021, 06:01 AM

It is not because they did not ask for a bail out. Ford got into money trouble a few years before GM and Chrysler. Gov't said no and they had to get themselves out of their own mess. Ford has played "no bail out" for all it is worth but it was only a matter of timing.

farscott
07-18-2021, 08:54 AM
It is not because they did not ask for a bail out. Ford got into money trouble a few years before GM and Chrysler. Gov't said no and they had to get themselves out of their own mess. Ford has played "no bail out" for all it is worth but it was only a matter of timing.

Ford had mortgaged itself to the hilt, even putting the "Blue Oval" up for collateral, just before the bottom fell out of the economy. It was indeed good timing and/or leadership (new CEO had just come from turning around Boeing) that allowed Ford to not need Uncle Sam's money.

rob_s
07-19-2021, 02:28 AM
The bare bones XL version comes standard with 8" center stack with Apple Car Play or Android Auto. That implies it has Sync4 most likely.

Sync 3 has CarPlay, just not Wireless.

Stupid as it sounds, I’d probably be driving and Explorer ST right now if it had Sync 4. The fact that it has Sync 3 allowed me the excuse I needed not to buy one. :p

farscott
07-19-2021, 05:41 AM

Stupid as it sounds, I’d probably be driving and Explorer ST right now if it had Sync 4. The fact that it has Sync 3 allowed me the excuse I needed not to buy one. :p

That comment is very interesting to me professionally as my current work is in the infotainment space and Ford is a customer. May I ask what advantages you perceive SYNC 4 has over SYNC 3?

BehindBlueI's
07-19-2021, 08:01 AM
My new work-mobile has Sync, though I've no idea what version. Whatever a 2018 sedan would have. I haven't messed with it a ton yet, but I like it better than Uconnect. The voice recognition seems smarter and it works faster.

farscott
07-19-2021, 08:16 AM
My new work-mobile has Sync, though I've no idea what version. Whatever a 2018 sedan would have. I haven't messed with it a ton yet, but I like it better than Uconnect. The voice recognition seems smarter and it works faster.

Likely SYNC 3. My two personal vehicles have SYNC 3. For the most part, I like it. I did have to update the SW in my wife's 2017 Mustang GT head unit as it was unstable with the OEM version.

rob_s
07-19-2021, 08:38 AM
That comment is very interesting to me professionally as my current work is in the infotainment space and Ford is a customer. May I ask what advantages you perceive SYNC 4 has over SYNC 3?

Personally, wireless CarPlay vs wired is the only thing I'm aware of, or care about. I was never interested in CarPlay until it meant I didn't have to take the phone out of my pocket. Or if I do, I can lay it on a wireless charger not have to dig out some cord. Plugging the phone in now makes me feel like I'm putting a cassette tape adapter into my head unit to play CDs off a discman. :D

When I replaced the head unit in our camper I had two requirements (both of which drove the price up): (1) Wireless CarPlay (2) Navigation with on-board maps

But your question got me curious, so I went looking for the differences and the first google response was this.

https://www.cjponyparts.com/resources/sync-3-vs-sync-4

If you look at my camper requirements above, you may note that I may not be too thrilled about this difference. I'm not 100% certain this means what I think it does, but if it means that all of the maps are fully cloud-based and not on-board, then I'm not going to be very happy...
Sync 3: Voice-Activated Navigation
Sync 4: Cloud-Based Navigation with Real-Time Traffic and Weather

farscott
07-19-2021, 10:36 AM
Thanks for the response. My opinion on wireless CarPlay is that it is a bad choice for long drives. While an iPhone can run USB PD on a wired connection and charge at a 18W rate (iPhone 12), wireless chargers usually charge iPhones at much lower rates (7.5W). There are some long technical reasons but the simplest version is Apple's MagSafe does not play well with the Qi standard from WPC and older iPhones rarely do more than 7.5W.

Net result is using GPS, music, and CarPlay on an iPhone on a long drive with wireless charging may result in a dead phone as the phone consumes more power than it gets from the charging pad. If you go this route, mount an Apple MagSafe charger in your vehicle. You get 15W and the magnet holds the phone in place. Of course, you now have a useless OEM wireless charger.

rob_s
07-19-2021, 12:17 PM
Thanks for the response. My opinion on wireless CarPlay is that it is a bad choice for long drives. While an iPhone can run USB PD on a wired connection and charge at a 18W rate (iPhone 12), wireless chargers usually charge iPhones at much lower rates (7.5W). There are some long technical reasons but the simplest version is Apple's MagSafe does not play well with the Qi standard from WPC and older iPhones rarely do more than 7.5W.

Net result is using GPS, music, and CarPlay on an iPhone on a long drive with wireless charging may result in a dead phone as the phone consumes more power than it gets from the charging pad. If you go this route, mount an Apple MagSafe charger in your vehicle. You get 15W and the magnet holds the phone in place. Of course, you now have a useless OEM wireless charger.

Wife drove the camper 8k miles in 6 weeks on wireless carplay and wireless charger. The first three days were 10 hours straight, as were the last three. Granted, it wasn't the charging pad in the car (the car doesn't have one) it was some sort of aftermarket charger (I think this one (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07X4YDKTF)).

Maybe she doesn't know she shouldn't have been able to do that, lol.

Me personally, I'd prefer to never, ever, drive or ride in a car for more than 4 hours at a stretch max, or 6 hours in a day. Even that's a stretch. I cannot stand being in the goddamn car.

AKDoug
07-19-2021, 12:56 PM

I'm so far behind on technology that I really didn't even know that wireless charging was even a thing on cars. I drive trucks and I get them dirty. I just buy the lowest trim level and rock on. These days that gets me as many options as a decade ago on a top trim level truck.

I'm far enough behind that I had to get out the owners manual in a rental car to figure out how to turn off the lane assist so it'd quit yanking the steering wheel around when hauling ass on back country two lane roads. Then I had to figure out how to get it to quit beeping at me when I got close to a line so my wife could sleep. I'm glad I deleted that shit from my F450 I have on order.

farscott
07-19-2021, 01:20 PM
Wife drove the camper 8k miles in 6 weeks on wireless carplay and wireless charger. The first three days were 10 hours straight, as were the last three. Granted, it wasn't the charging pad in the car (the car doesn't have one) it was some sort of aftermarket charger (I think this one (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07X4YDKTF)).

Maybe she doesn't know she shouldn't have been able to do that, lol.

Me personally, I'd prefer to never, ever, drive or ride in a car for more than 4 hours at a stretch max, or 6 hours in a day. Even that's a stretch. I cannot stand being in the goddamn car.

Thanks for the info. I tend to drive a lot, like fourteen to eighteen hours with breaks just for fuel, restroom, and food. I also tend to test with units that do not start fully charged.

rob_s
07-19-2021, 02:41 PM
I'm so far behind on technology that I really didn't even know that wireless charging was even a thing on cars. I drive trucks and I get them dirty. I just buy the lowest trim level and rock on. These days that gets me as many options as a decade ago on a top trim level truck.

I'm far enough behind that I had to get out the owners manual in a rental car to figure out how to turn off the lane assist so it'd quit yanking the steering wheel around when hauling ass on back country two lane roads. Then I had to figure out how to get it to quit beeping at me when I got close to a line so my wife could sleep. I'm glad I deleted that shit from my F450 I have on order.

Wireless charging is one of those things I thought I didn't want until I got it. Now I can't even plug my phone in because there's something wrong with the port. it goes from the charger on my nightstand to the charger in the car to the charger on the desk back to the car back to the nightstand.

Which means I'm almost never dealing with a dead phone.

Somebody somewhere is going to tell me that's bad for the battery but for me convenience>longevity in this case.

The above post about Magsafe has me looking at that now. I have an older phone, XS I think, so no built-in magnet which means I'd need a magnetic case. Previously I've preferred mounts that hold the phone mechanically not magnetically because of the case solution plus wife and I can both use the same chargers. Maybe if I get a 12 soon-ish I'll make the switch.

TGS
07-19-2021, 06:26 PM
rob_s

Why the need for a magnetic case? Can't you just put a thin metal plate inside your current case, or stuck to the outside? They're usually provided with the various magnetic mounts.

Half Moon
07-20-2021, 01:53 PM
Wireless charging is one of those things I thought I didn't want until I got it. Now I can't even plug my phone in because there's something wrong with the port.

Sounds like not really an issue for you but, if you haven't already, use a light and check for lint in the phone charging port. It's always been a possible issue but newer port designs like usb-c are especially prone to it. Once the lint is at a certain point the charger plug won't even seat. If it's linted up, careful cleaning with a needle or such can clear it out.

rob_s
07-20-2021, 02:31 PM
Sounds like not really an issue for you but, if you haven't already, use a light and check for lint in the phone charging port. It's always been a possible issue but newer port designs like usb-c are especially prone to it. Once the lint is at a certain point the charger plug won't even seat. If it's linted up, careful cleaning with a needle or such can clear it out.

I did a little of that, and then got distracted and wandered off to something else. blew it out with some canned air (probably somehow bad for it) to no effect.

Funnily enough, maybe I just made the case for NOT doing wireless charging. By leaving my port un-used it got fouled up! (phrasing?!)

HeavyDuty
07-20-2021, 02:42 PM
I did a little of that, and then got distracted and wandered off to something else. blew it out with some canned air (probably somehow bad for it) to no effect.

Funnily enough, maybe I just made the case for NOT doing wireless charging. By leaving my port un-used it got fouled up! (phrasing?!)

Do you carry your phone in a pocket?

rob_s
07-20-2021, 02:44 PM
Do you carry your phone in a pocket?

of course, I'm not *that* old! :p

HeavyDuty
07-20-2021, 02:56 PM
of course, I'm not *that* old! :p

Ouch. Lint.

Half Moon
07-20-2021, 03:04 PM

Naw, they'll get clogged anyways if you pocket carry whether you use the port or not. In fact plugging in can compress the lint and make it worse. Canned air probably wouldn't hurt unless you let it dew up on the port and short the pins. It usually doesn't help much though. If it's linted there's probably a mat wrapped around, or wedged against, the center post at the inside limit of the port. Canned air usually can't knock it free and it takes gentle and careful scraping with a thin implement to get it free. Needle works good but anything thin that can fit in the port freely to lightly fish works too.

HeavyDuty
07-20-2021, 03:40 PM
Naw, they'll get clogged anyways if you pocket carry whether you use the port or not. In fact plugging in can compress the lint and make it worse. Canned air probably wouldn't hurt unless you let it dew up on the port and short the pins. It usually doesn't help much though. If it's linted there's probably a mat wrapped around, or wedged against, the center post at the inside limit of the port. Canned air usually can't knock it free and it takes gentle and careful scraping with a thin implement to get it free. Needle works good but anything thin that can fit in the port freely to lightly fish works too.

Toothpick. Preferably round.

AKDoug
07-20-2021, 10:56 PM
WTF are you guys doing to your phones? I'm still running an ancient 7S that has zero issues charging and I've never cleaned the port. Pocket carry, coat carry, shirt pocket carry..no issues.

Archimagirus
07-21-2021, 12:14 AM
Canned air probably wouldn't hurt unless you let it dew up on the port and short the pins.

Canned air shouldn’t be used anywhere on an iPhone in particular, and cell phones on general. The pressure of the canned air can puncture or tear the microphone and speaker membranes or cones on pretty much any small electronic.

If you have debris in a iPhone charging port that is a lightning connector, the best tool is a static safe brush with flexible bristles that are long enough to hit the back of the port.

In a emergency, you can use something thin and relatively stiff to try to remove the debris, but don’t pick hard if you feel resistance, that is likely one of the pins inside the dock.

rob_s
08-28-2021, 09:31 AM
https://apple.news/AGysZgtPfSACWO0W2X1e0nw

Navin Johnson
08-28-2021, 09:47 AM
Inch or so narrower than current Taco. About 10 inches shorter than a Ridgeline. It will likely be much like the size of the previous Ranger.

Sat in a Santa Cruze and it had nice interior room (about 2 inches wider than Maverick and 4 inches shorter overall)....better than the outdated and uncomfortable to me Taco. Bed is very small.

5pins
10-11-2021, 05:01 AM
Anyone actually see one of these in the wild?

rob_s
10-11-2021, 06:09 AM
https://youtu.be/BIbxCGBLle4

Bergeron
10-11-2021, 07:29 AM
While both the Santa Cruz and the Maverick are interesting, I’m a bit put off by the cost. AWD and a drivetrain upgrade quickly gets into the mid/high $30k range. I would also rather a body-on-frame.

I think the real competition here will be against the new Nissan Frontier.

Sasage
12-20-2021, 08:06 PM
[81627
Anyone actually see one of these in the wild?

Just one.

HeavyDuty
12-20-2021, 09:30 PM
I stopped and briefly looked at one a few weeks ago. The back seat has zero legroom.

Wise_A
12-20-2021, 10:42 PM
I went on a test drive with my folks. They went so far out of their way to make interior look cheap with that horrid marbled-plastic paneling. The rest of the "truck" was great, I thought, rode and drove very nicely.

Incidentally, my F150 goes into build in the next couple weeks. And yeah, it will be nicer than two Mavericks.

BehindBlueI's
12-21-2021, 08:50 AM
I stopped and briefly looked at one a few weeks ago. The back seat has zero legroom.

I didn't figure it would. I wonder if jump seats don't pass crash testing these days, as that was the *only* way to get anything approaching leg room in the back of the small trucks when the S-10/Ranger were still small.