PDA

View Full Version : ETA on Gen5 and slimline SCDs?

littlejerry
06-07-2021, 05:12 PM
Just went to purchase some SCDs (before I've even picked up the new hosts!) and saw everything is out of stock.

Is there an ETA for these items or are we stuck in Covid purgatory for the foreseeable future?

taudevgroup
06-07-2021, 08:08 PM
Demand has been nuts for the past 18 months -- and gets nuttier every day.

I donít have a good ETA for a full restock but if you send an email to info@taudevgroup.com letting me know what you want, Iíll send you an email when it is available.

There are a small number of slightly cosmetically blemished Slimline 9mm SCDs currently available at a discount:

https://taudevgroup.myshopify.com/products/striker-control-device-blemished?variant=11794827116588

Also, FWIW, we still have Gen1-4 SCDs in stock -- at least for the next 4-5 weeks given the current sales volume.

littlejerry
06-07-2021, 09:49 PM
Demand has been nuts for the past 18 months -- and gets nuttier every day.

I donít have a good ETA for a full restock but if you send an email to info@taudevgroup.com letting me know what you want, Iíll send you an email when it is available.

There are a small number of slightly cosmetically blemished Slimline 9mm SCDs currently available at a discount:

https://taudevgroup.myshopify.com/products/striker-control-device-blemished?variant=11794827116588

Also, FWIW, we still have Gen1-4 SCDs in stock -- at least for the next 4-5 weeks given the current sales volume.

Thank you! Slimline is ordered and I'll hold out for the Gen5.

TheNewbie
06-14-2021, 09:18 AM
Glad business is doing so good!

I have two Gen 4 SCDs, but no Glocks. lol

Hopefully the Gen 5s get back in stock as a Gen 5 26 is rather tempting.

Guerrero
06-14-2021, 10:28 AM
Soonô

blues
06-14-2021, 11:25 AM
Soonô

-ishģ

HeavyDuty
06-16-2021, 06:19 PM
taudevgroup - Tom, are the blem slimline SCDs all gone?

taudevgroup
06-16-2021, 06:23 PM
taudevgroup - Tom, are the blem slimline SCDs all gone?

Yes.

HeavyDuty
06-16-2021, 07:12 PM
Sad trombone. Ok, Iíll wait for the next batch. Thanks!

TheNewbie
08-11-2021, 09:34 AM
Hate to bother, but still no updates on when more SCDs will be available?

Thanks!

23JAZ
09-24-2021, 02:35 PM
NVD found it. Email sent.

TheNewbie
09-24-2021, 06:18 PM
NVD found it. Email sent.

If you get an email response, please let us know.

23JAZ
09-24-2021, 07:52 PM
If you get an email response, please let us know.
Has there been an issue with getting a response?

parishioner
09-25-2021, 11:21 AM
Has there been an issue with getting a response?

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?49330-TAU-Development-Group-SCD-Contact

RJ
10-03-2021, 09:22 AM
Just wanted to join the chorus and wish Tom and Tau Development Group well while we wait for SCDs to be back in stock.

Some here are aware I'm pretty close to Tom. For example, here's a picture of my lovely wife and I having lunch with Tom during one of our swings through his local area during our RV trip. He's quite a talented guy. :cool:

23JAZ
10-04-2021, 09:33 AM
So my SCD on my G48 has started to work itís way down during recoil. At least once a mag I have to slide it back up to click it back into place. Anyone else have this issue? I cannot get anyone from Tau to reply to my emails.

RancidSumo
10-04-2021, 09:41 AM
So my SCD on my G48 has started to work itís way down during recoil. At least once a mag I have to slide it back up to click it back into place. Anyone else have this issue? I cannot get anyone from Tau to reply to my emails.

I had that issue a while back and the issue was a bad install on my part. It looked right, but in fact was not fully seated. Just make sure it is really snapping into place (and FWIW, that is the advice I got from Tau at the time). After install, try to push it out and see if you can by just sliding it with your thumb.

RJ
10-04-2021, 09:59 AM

Any chance you have a digital caliper?

Perhaps you could measure the slide width, and the width of the SCD, and post results. Maybe someone can compare to their pistol/parts.

Is that a Glock 48?

I don't have a slimline anymore, but for reference, using my HF 4" digital caliper, I am seeing about 0.633", measured with the jaws of the caliper across the steel part, on the slimline orange Glock Armorer's Plate I received during my class a month or so ago:

Edit to add: Apologies if you've done this already, but there is a distinct audible "click" when you properly seat the back plate into the slide; I missed this during class and fouled up one of my exercises. The instructor corrected my install and all was well. I know, you probably already made sure, but it might be worth checking if not.

I'd also examine the SCD part, itself, to make sure both sides are present, look properly shaped (compared to the OEM back plate, which I assume you have?) and are not broken, damaged, or uneven. Again, just something to eliminate.

I'd check the slide, rear, as in the slot in which the back plate seats itself, just in case some foreign material or residue / carbon perhaps has / had built up that might be preventing the SCD from seating "just" enough to lock in place.

Last thought: this may be a case of the tolerance of the slide width at the rear in your pistol is at the upper end, and the SCD width in this particular part is at the lower end of acceptable. "Stacking tolerances" if you will. The result would be that in your case the SCD may not have the retention it is designed to. Hard to say how / whether to address this, if you are in this situation.

Just some random ideas, hope this helps.

HeavyDuty
10-04-2021, 10:38 AM
Also, check that the striker spacer sleeve doesnít have any burrs or deformities on the outer edge - it snaps into the shallow depression on the back of the SCD. I had one with a little edge that was preventing seating.

23JAZ
10-04-2021, 03:00 PM
Thanks for the feedback. Iíve checked the the striker sleeve and cleaned the SCD and the channel it sits in. Also, every time I slide it into place I can hear it click into place but 5 to 10 rounds later it works itself to the same spot. Iíll measure it with my calipers tonight when I get home and post what I find.

RancidSumo
10-04-2021, 03:54 PM
Thanks for the feedback. Iíve checked the the striker sleeve and cleaned the SCD and the channel it sits in. Also, every time I slide it into place I can hear it click into place but 5 to 10 rounds later it works itself to the same spot. Iíll measure it with my calipers tonight when I get home and post what I find.

Can you push it out without depressing the sleeve? What you are describing is exactly what happened to me. Obviously not saying it's not a gear issue, but some click and it appearing to be secure at first does not necessarily mean it is fully seated.

HeavyDuty
10-04-2021, 04:04 PM
Can you push it out without depressing the sleeve? What you are describing is exactly what happened to me. Obviously not saying it's not a gear issue, but some click and it appearing to be secure at first does not necessarily mean it is fully seated.

I can sometimes get a partial click as the sleeve goes over the edge of the depression, but a bigger one as it seats fully home after a wiggle.

23JAZ
10-04-2021, 06:18 PM
Any chance you have a digital caliper?

Perhaps you could measure the slide width, and the width of the SCD, and post results. Maybe someone can compare to their pistol/parts.

Is that a Glock 48?

I don't have a slimline anymore, but for reference, using my HF 4" digital caliper, I am seeing about 0.633", measured with the jaws of the caliper across the steel part, on the slimline orange Glock Armorer's Plate I received during my class a month or so ago:

Edit to add: Apologies if you've done this already, but there is a distinct audible "click" when you properly seat the back plate into the slide; I missed this during class and fouled up one of my exercises. The instructor corrected my install and all was well. I know, you probably already made sure, but it might be worth checking if not.

I'd also examine the SCD part, itself, to make sure both sides are present, look properly shaped (compared to the OEM back plate, which I assume you have?) and are not broken, damaged, or uneven. Again, just something to eliminate.

I'd check the slide, rear, as in the slot in which the back plate seats itself, just in case some foreign material or residue / carbon perhaps has / had built up that might be preventing the SCD from seating "just" enough to lock in place.

Last thought: this may be a case of the tolerance of the slide width at the rear in your pistol is at the upper end, and the SCD width in this particular part is at the lower end of acceptable. "Stacking tolerances" if you will. The result would be that in your case the SCD may not have the retention it is designed to. Hard to say how / whether to address this, if you are in this situation.

Just some random ideas, hope this helps.

At the narrowest point it reads .631Ē and at its widest it measures .632Ē. If I measure along the flats it measures .6315Ē. What is even more interesting is that I cannot push it out of place by hand. It really clicks in there and I cannot get it to budge. Would recoil cause the striker sleeve to bounce out of the groove just enough to allow the SCD to walk itself out? Slightly short striker sleeve? Slightly small SCD and slightly large Glock plate notch? (Tolerance Stacking)? Iím going to take it to work tomorrow and measure the SCD and the slide on the comparator.

GJM
10-04-2021, 06:37 PM
At the narrowest point it reads .631Ē and at its widest it measures .632Ē. If I measure along the flats it measures .6315Ē. What is even more interesting is that I cannot push it out of place by hand. It really clicks in there and I cannot get it to budge. Would recoil cause the striker sleeve to bounce out of the groove just enough to allow the SCD to walk itself out? Slightly short striker sleeve? Slightly small SCD and slightly large Glock plate notch? (Tolerance Stacking)? Iím going to take it to work tomorrow and measure the SCD and the slide on the comparator.

That isnít the critical part to measure. You want to measure this.

JCN
10-04-2021, 06:46 PM
Since SCDs are unobtainium, maybe come at this the other way and try a replacement striker sleeve / spring to see if you can get a more positive engagement?

Swab out the channel with a Q tip and alcohol?

JCN
10-04-2021, 06:53 PM
That isnít the critical part to measure. You want to measure this.

RJ form follows function.

The SCD mates to the striker sleeve, the outer width dimensions arenít playing a part in retention. I know you like to measure stuff, but think of the mechanism and go from there.

If it were too thin, it could conceivably ďrattleĒ off the detent, but normal striker spring pressure should prevent that.

Easiest thing would be to look carefully at the striker channel lips for wear or deformation and test mate them together off the guns.

OP, is the striker spring stock?

farscott
10-04-2021, 07:42 PM
A simple test to eliminate the SCD as the root cause would be to install the stock Glock slide cover plate and fire a magazine. If the stock cover plate does slip downwards, it is likely the slide internals, especially the striker sleeve, are the issue. If the stock cover does not slip downwards, then the focus is on the interface of the striker sleeve and the SCD.

Cheap insurance would be to replace the striker sleeve and the striker "firing pin spring". I might even be tempted to replace the spring loaded bearing and extractor depressor plunger spring. Pretty much every part that interfaces with the SCD surface.

23JAZ
10-04-2021, 08:38 PM
@RJ (https://pistol-forum.com/member.php?u=9257) form follows function.

The SCD mates to the striker sleeve, the outer width dimensions arenít playing a part in retention. I know you like to measure stuff, but think of the mechanism and go from there.

If it were too thin, it could conceivably ďrattleĒ off the detent, but normal striker spring pressure should prevent that.

Easiest thing would be to look carefully at the striker channel lips for wear or deformation and test mate them together off the guns.

OP, is the striker spring stock?
The striker assembly is all OEM. I will put it on my wifeís G43X and that OEM plate on my 48 and report back what happens. Thanks everyone!

RJ
10-04-2021, 08:40 PM
The striker assembly is all OEM. I will put it on my wifeís G43X and that OEM plate on my 48 and report back what happens. Thanks everyone!

That is a really good idea.

JCN
10-04-2021, 08:45 PM

Depending on the results of that.

You could also swap her extractor plunger and striker assembly over to your gun as well to further isolate what the issue source is.

23JAZ
10-12-2021, 11:31 AM
Depending on the results of that.

You could also swap her extractor plunger and striker assembly over to your gun as well to further isolate what the issue source is.
Well I swapped all slide components from her gun to mine and the SCD still slid down. I put her gun back together and tried the SCD on her slide and it slid down as well. Still waiting on the warranty email I sent to Tau weeks ago as well. Good news is I found my other SCD so I got that going for me, but it would be nice to know what is going on with the other one.

JCN
10-12-2021, 11:42 AM
Well I swapped all slide components from her gun to mine and the SCD still slid down. I put her gun back together and tried the SCD on her slide and it slid down as well. Still waiting on the warranty email I sent to Tau weeks ago as well. Good news is I found my other SCD so I got that going for me, but it would be nice to know what is going on with the other one.

Ok, so you can reasonably assume itís the SCD. Can you visually compare it to your good one paying close attention to engagement surfaces / channels? Give it a good degreasing with a toothbrush and dish soap?

blues
10-12-2021, 11:48 AM
Ok, so you can reasonably assume itís the SCD. Can you visually compare it to your good one paying close attention to engagement surfaces / channels? Give it a good degreasing with a toothbrush and dish soap?

I think he's done everything that can be reasonably expected and more, and if someone told me to try additional cleaning steps I'd probably mutter under my breath.

Seems to me at this point that a repair, (unlikely or impossible), replacement or refund is in order...the last two being most realistic.

It's disappointing to see this play out in this manner...given what we were used to from Tom and TDG in the past.

JCN
10-12-2021, 12:20 PM
I think he's done everything that can be reasonably expected and more, and if someone told me to try additional cleaning steps I'd probably mutter under my breath.

Seems to me at this point that a repair, (unlikely or impossible), replacement or refund is in order...the last two being most realistic.

It's disappointing to see this play out in this manner...given what we were used to from Tom and TDG in the past.

I agree with you, but whatís the alternative?

Plus if it was me, itíd take less time to swap and clean than drive to the post office. Plus, I like figuring things out.

Figuring out why things break (especially for stuff youíre trusting your life to) helps prevent them from breaking in the future.

blues
10-12-2021, 12:32 PM
I agree with you, but whatís the alternative?

Plus if it was me, itíd take less time to swap and clean than drive to the post office. Plus, I like figuring things out.

Figuring out why things break (especially for stuff youíre trusting your life to) helps prevent them from breaking in the future.

If one of my SCDs failed during qualification or training...it would have to be removed or replaced. I can't repair it, and I wouldn't trust it to be used again following such an episode.

Frankly, I'd personally have no interest in attempting to determine if it was a flaw in the steel, heat treat or simply a blem. That's something that should be of paramount interest to the company and the manufacturing facility.

If it was a carry gun, I'd swap it out for one from a backup / training firearm...unless I simply lost confidence in the SCD altogether.

JCN
10-12-2021, 12:38 PM
If one of my SCDs failed during qualification or training...it would have to be removed or replaced. I can't repair it, and I wouldn't trust it to be used again following such an episode.

Frankly, I'd personally have no interest in attempting to determine if it was a flaw in the steel, heat treat or simply a blem. That's something that should be of paramount interest to the company and the manufacturing facility.

If it was a carry gun, I'd swap it out for one from a backup / training firearm...unless I simply lost confidence in the SCD altogether.

The company hasnít answered emails in over two months and is pretty much DOA.

So I donít think the company really cares much right now.

You and I work differently.

If it was me, Iíd look to see if it was an easy fix. Is there some dirt or debris making an engagement surface a ramp instead of a lock?

I would definitely want to know rather than just assume this was limited to just one SCD.

Knowing failure modes could change your maintenance schedule to prevent this from happening to the next one.

If I couldnít determine the failure mode, all SCD would come out of my guns.

If the failure mode was my fault (dirty gun or debris) then Iíd feel comfortable using them and updating my maintenance regimen.

But we work differently. I personally would want to know and figure it out. Thatís what I do.

blues
10-12-2021, 12:53 PM
The company hasnít answered emails in over two months and is pretty much DOA.

So I donít think the company really cares much right now.

You and I work differently.

If it was me, Iíd look to see if it was an easy fix. Is there some dirt or debris making an engagement surface a ramp instead of a lock?

I would definitely want to know rather than just assume this was limited to just one SCD.

Knowing failure modes could change your maintenance schedule to prevent this from happening to the next one.

If I couldnít determine the failure mode, all SCD would come out of my guns.

If the failure mode was my fault (dirty gun or debris) then Iíd feel comfortable using them and updating my maintenance regimen.

But we work differently. I personally would want to know and figure it out. Thatís what I do.

I'm not talking about obvious things one would do...I brush and clean my components, including the SCD regularly. I don't just throw my guns away after one use. (And unlike many, I clean my guns after each use. Got drilled into me early in my career and it stuck.)

Let's not be ridiculous. I'm not speaking at all about basic care and maintenance...nor examining items to see if there is a simple explanation.

I'm done. Your presumption is insulting. (I'll update my ignore list...)

JCN
10-12-2021, 01:28 PM
I'm not talking about obvious things one would do...I brush and clean my components, including the SCD regularly. I don't just throw my guns away after one use. (And unlike many, I clean my guns after each use. Got drilled into me early in my career and it stuck.)

Let's not be ridiculous. I'm not speaking at all about basic care and maintenance...nor examining items to see if there is a simple explanation.

I'm done. Your presumption is insulting. (I'll update my ignore list...)

Hey, if you have a thin skin and take offense easily thatís your deal.

I suggested he compare and clean.

You acted like that was beyond you.

Then you say of course youíd compare and clean and Iím being presumptuous.

If he looks at them carefully and thereís wear or debris that he missed, then who is the asshole?

Some people get insulted easily, sorry man.

Iím trying to help him with solutions. You are not helping at all.

He has the opportunity to ignore working through the problem if he chooses.

To the OP, if youíre willing to send it to me Iíll be happy to trouble shoot it for you.

23JAZ

HeavyDuty
10-12-2021, 01:55 PM
Girls, girls - youíre *both* pretty.

(Seriously, maybe trying it in one more pistol would be worthwhile.)

blues
10-12-2021, 02:09 PM
Glad you think so, Ken. I wore this outfit just for you.

HeavyDuty
10-12-2021, 03:55 PM
Glad you think so, Ken. I wore this outfit just for you.

You have a pretty mouth, for a Weimeriner anyways.

JCN
10-12-2021, 04:39 PM

Okay. Some interesting stuff.

So on this version of the slimline SCD itís being held in place by two things.

The top curve of the striker plastic housing and the pressure from the spring loaded plunger.

It looks like thereís actually enough pressure on the plunger head that it compressed the plastic from wear.

Because of the geometry it only rests on half the plunger head.

So things that would make the retention of the plate better:

1. Sharp edges of the top striker housing plastic.
2. Clean, non-oily edges of the SCD especially the top of the semi-circle.
3. Clean, non-oily depressor plunger head.

TheNewbie
10-12-2021, 05:50 PM
Interesting JCN.

Do you think this is a potential common issue or is it just a random occurrence?

JCN
10-12-2021, 06:40 PM
Interesting JCN.

Do you think this is a potential common issue or is it just a random occurrence?

So even though people like blues would rather pawn it off than figure it out.

Thatís not my style.

Iím going to hypothesize that either the plastic bearing surface on plunger assembly is oily or slippery. Or that maybe the OP used a tool to depress the striker assembly that cut or damaged the perfect angles of the mating surfaces.

Or that he got a bum machined one.

If I were in the situation I would scrub and degrease the end of the striker and the plastic bearing on the plunger assembly and do the same with the SCD.

Then take some sandpaper and rough up the mating surfaces for more friction.

When I was trying to get the SCD off, there was quite a bit of friction from the bearing that made it difficult to slide off (and the spring went shooting across the room so it was under a fair amount of tension).

Increasing the friction coefficient might help.

BUTÖ

This might be an issue with G43/48 SCD over larger ones.

Look at the geometry difference of where the plunger is in relation to the axis of the side of the plate.

It also seems like on the G43 (aftermarket slide but shouldnít matter) that less of the bearing engages the back plate so it might be particularly susceptible to a slippery bearing surface.

There are only a couple of mating parts here so it should be pretty apparent what the issue is.

Either the surfaces are damaged, binding or slippery. There are limited failure points to look at.

TheNewbie
10-12-2021, 06:49 PM
First, in defense of blues, I think he would always try to help others if he could. He was just giving his take on how he would handle it, which is going to be a pretty common take. Maybe even mine.

Your take is different and I find it interesting and I appreciate it. I would have no issue with you working on my gun.

Blues is a blessing to the forum, and I both want to say that and feel morally obligated to say it.

Thanks for detailed reply and I would be interested in your further assessment of the SCD if you ever encounter other copies. The SCD is a game changer for me in regard to Glock, but only if I can get a steady supply of them.

JCN
10-12-2021, 06:53 PM
First, in defense of blues, I think he would always try to help others if he could. He was just giving his take on how he would handle it, which is going to be a pretty common take. Maybe even mine.

Your take is different and I find it interesting and I appreciate it. I would have no issue with you working on my gun.

Blues is a blessing to the forum, and I both want to say that and feel morally obligated to say it.

Thanks for detailed reply and I would be interested in your further assessment of the SCD if you ever encounter other copies. The SCD is a game changer for me in regard to Glock, but only if I can get a steady supply of them.

I think blues is a good guy.

The way I came about my approach is that my time and frustration is worth a lot so if I can figure out something rather than send it back for a replacement that might have the same issueÖ thatís my preference.

Especially in this case since sending it back isnít even an option and the OP was asking for help, this seemed like the only option and I like figuring stuff out.

JCN
10-12-2021, 07:09 PM
TheNewbie

So I think the G42 and G43 are going to be susceptible to this type of failure if it is the bearing.

Compare the amount of bearing contact there is on the back plate for a G43 (left) versus G22 (right).

With the plate closed, you can see that the slimline bearing only has about 50% surface contact (and on my personal gun without high round count that contact face was already worn.

With the full width slide 7/8 of the bearing contacts the back plate.

blues
10-12-2021, 07:10 PM
So even though people like blues would rather pawn it off than figure it out.

Thatís not my style.

"People like blues."

That's rich coming from someone who not only doesn't know me, but makes broad inferences about what I would consider doing, how I'd do them, and my competence in doing them, simply because I recommended that the OP had done his due diligence in the matter...and the fact that I don't feel obliged to run lab tests on the SCD. But, yeah, people like me...

I'd tell you to f-off, but, that wouldn't be polite.

Thanks, Newb for the kind words. I don't deserve them but I appreciate them nonetheless.

JCN
10-12-2021, 07:19 PM
"People like blues."

That's rich coming from someone who not only doesn't know me, but makes broad inferences about what I would consider doing, how I'd do them, and my competence in doing them, simply because I recommended that the OP had done his due diligence in the matter...and the fact that I don't feel obliged to run lab tests on the SCD. But, yeah, people like me...

I'd tell you to f-off, but, that wouldn't be polite.

Thanks, Newb for the kind words. I don't deserve them but I appreciate them nonetheless.

Youíre saying the same thing I am. He did his due diligence and if he could go to Walmart and get a replacement, sure.

But thatís not an option. So you gave up. And you gave up on him. Because of low frustration tolerance.

Iím continuing to run lab tests because I like helping people and itís within my skill set and my knowledge base.

So yeah. You may also not realize this, but when people with low frustration tolerance curse at anyone and everythingÖ their words donít carry much weight. If you told me to fuck off, I would care not at all. Like the dude driving 55 in the left lane that gets mad and curses and flashes his lights when you pass himÖ his wanting to tell everyone to fuck off is about his frustration with life rather than the people solving problems.

Going on with the problem solving:

This is the bearing contact surface so the OP should make very sure this edge of the SCD is clean, dry and tacky.

JCN
10-12-2021, 07:31 PM
TheNewbie

I think it has to be lack of bearing contact / pressure.

OP said that the plate clicked in when installed and canít be slid out by hand.

I just tried installing the plate WITHOUT a plunger at all.

So just one mating surface. It clicks into place.

But with the jackhammer impact of releasing the striker, it seems like the forward motion could also cause the plastic sleeve to rock forward slightlyÖ releasing pressure on the back plate and allowing it to slip shot by shot.

The only thing that would help keep it from slipping would be enough friction and pressure of the bearing on the back plate surface and only half of the little bearing surface is even doing that on the slimlines (as opposed to 7/8 on the full width). Mine has a pretty sharp divot carved in it from maybe 500 rounds since SCD install and no back plate removal in that time.

blues
10-12-2021, 07:32 PM
Actually, I didn't give up on him. I called and left a message for Tom Jones and though I couched my message with my honest concern for his and his family's wellbeing, I mentioned the thread and told him that it would mean a lot to several folks if he would come on the forum and let folks know what's what.

In his reply he told me he intended to. Not much more beyond that that I could have done on behalf of the OP...short of driving to NM and pleading the matter in person.

Or perhaps I should have brought it down for further examination to my metallurgical laboratory in the basement.

In any case, this quitter is quitting.

Oh, and thanks for the psychoanalysis. I'll take it under advisement.

TheNewbie
10-12-2021, 07:32 PM
I just wish we could get news from the company.

With the slime line SCD, other than extra cleaning and checking it more often, do you think there is much that can be done to make it more secure, or is it just the nature of the beast? When I say more that can be done, I mean design wise.

TheNewbie
10-12-2021, 07:34 PM
Ok you mostly answered my question before I even posted it. lol

TheNewbie
10-12-2021, 07:35 PM
Actually, I didn't give up on him. I called and left a message for Tom Jones and though I couched my message with my honest concern for his and his family's wellbeing, I mentioned the thread and told him that it would mean a lot to several folks if he would come on the forum and let folks know what's what.

In his reply he told me he intended to. Not much more beyond that that I could have done on behalf of the OP...short of driving to NM and pleading the matter in person.

Or perhaps I should have brought it down for further examination to my metallurgical laboratory in the basement.

In any case, this quitter is quitting.

I quit eating cookies tonight after two.....after all the El Salvadoran food.

JCN
10-12-2021, 07:41 PM
With the slim line SCD, other than extra cleaning and checking it more often, do you think there is much that can be done to make it more secure, or is it just the nature of the beast? When I say more that can be done, I mean design wise.

I think thatís all that can be done without some significant effort.

I would entertain the thought that the slim lines could eat bearings but theyíre pretty cheap replacement.

A more definitive fix would be a harder material for the bearing but itíd have to be grippy and not slippery like metal or delrin.

I have two extra plunger assemblies on order now so I might try compromising a bearing and seeing if I can reproduce OPs problem for science sake. Maybe oiling and cutting it first.

If the bearing is just slipping, I might think the easiest solution would be a thin wipe of E6000 on the mating surface of the SCD and maybe a whiff of an epoxy cap on the soft plastic bearing.

blues
10-12-2021, 07:42 PM
I just wish we could get news from the company.

Ok you mostly answered my question before I even posted it. lol

Newb, it's been at least a couple weeks, to the best of my recollection, since I heard back from Tom...and posted about it here in the thread.

Since we haven't heard anything, I guess it's either not a top priority, or there are issues we are not aware of afoot that prevent his doing so. I don't have a clue...

JCN
10-12-2021, 07:47 PM
TheNewbie

The one thing that kind of puzzles me is:

The notch in the back of the frame should prevent the G43 plate from sliding down?

Is it possible he has a G42 plate installed on a G43? Iíve done that before and it works but thereís a gap in the bottom that could let it slideÖ.

23JAZ

TheNewbie
10-12-2021, 07:49 PM
I think thatís all that can be done without some significant effort.

I would entertain the thought that the slim lines could eat bearings but theyíre pretty cheap replacement.

A more definitive fix would be a harder material for the bearing but itíd have to be grippy and not slippery like metal or delrin.

I have two extra plunger assemblies on order now so I might try compromising a bearing and seeing if I can reproduce OPs problem for science sake. Maybe oiling and cutting it first.

If the bearing is just slipping, I might think the easiest solution would be a thin wipe of E6000 on the mating surface of the SCD and maybe a whiff of an epoxy cap on the soft plastic bearing.

There have not been a ton of issues with the SCD, but the long term heavy testing was done on full sized models. I would like to see a dozen or so slimline SCD with ďhigh round countsĒ on them, and see how theyíve held up.

Glock just needs to make a QUALITY thumb safety and Iíll stop pestering about the SCD. :p

TheNewbie
10-12-2021, 07:53 PM
TheNewbie

The one thing that kind of puzzles me is:

The notch in the back of the frame should prevent the G43 plate from sliding down?

Is it possible he has a G43 plate installed on a G43? Iíve done that before and it works but thereís a gap in the bottom that could let it slideÖ.

23JAZ

G43 plate on a G43?

JCN
10-12-2021, 08:00 PM
G43 plate on a G43?

G42 on a 43, typo!

The frame notch should prevent it from sliding down when shooting, no? I just want to make sure that heís running the proper plate on the proper model to exclude that possibly.

Just making sure itís not this.

Again, not insinuating anyone would make that error but trying to eliminate other causes.

One time I problem solved a guyís Glock online.

He had installed the spring cups backwards.

He swore he installed everything right but you donít know what you donít know sometimes. Itís not a personal insult to suggest ruling out basic things and only insecure people take disproportionately personal affront to that.

TheNewbie
10-12-2021, 08:10 PM
I think anyone could accidentally order a 42 plate for a 43, or the reverse. Of course the 43 wouldnít fit on the 42.

It would just take a bit of inattention when ordering or installing it. That would be great if that was the issue!

RancidSumo
10-13-2021, 01:07 AM
G42 on a 43, typo!

The frame notch should prevent it from sliding down when shooting, no? I just want to make sure that heís running the proper plate on the proper model to exclude that possibly.

Just making sure itís not this.

Again, not insinuating anyone would make that error but trying to eliminate other causes.

One time I problem solved a guyís Glock online.

He had installed the spring cups backwards.

He swore he installed everything right but you donít know what you donít know sometimes. Itís not a personal insult to suggest ruling out basic things and only insecure people take disproportionately personal affront to that.

That does not keep it from sliding down while shooting. What was described earlier in the thread is exactly what happened to me when I got a SCD ďseatedĒ with the expected click on a G19 but it would walk down after a few rounds and lock the gun out of battery. It was solved by pressing much harder than I thought would be required (and much harder than is required on my other G19) until I got a second ďclick.Ē Try pushing up on the two little wings on either side of the bottom of the SCD with a pencil or something hard to make sure force is being applied in the right place.

FWIW, I do not think the plunger has anything to do with it. I believe it is either the issue I described above or, if it isnít that and it happens on multiple slides/slide internals, the cutout on the back of the SCD where the plastic sleeve engages must be out of spec.

JCN
10-13-2021, 03:44 AM
That does not keep it from sliding down while shooting. What was described earlier in the thread is exactly what happened to me when I got a SCD ďseatedĒ with the expected click on a G19 but it would walk down after a few rounds and lock the gun out of battery. It was solved by pressing much harder than I thought would be required (and much harder than is required on my other G19) until I got a second ďclick.Ē Try pushing up on the two little wings on either side of the bottom of the SCD with a pencil or something hard to make sure force is being applied in the right place.

FWIW, I do not think the plunger has anything to do with it. I believe it is either the issue I described above or, if it isnít that and it happens on multiple slides/slide internals, the cutout on the back of the SCD where the plastic sleeve engages must be out of spec.

Good feedback and very possible.

We are all just guessing without the extra information and visual from the OP.

Should be pretty apparent with a close visual inspection if thereís something wrong with the SCD cutout, especially if he has a good one to compare to.

We also donít know if the top lip of his striker sleeve is cut or compromised (some people push there to depress it when sliding the back plate on, I usually push on the side with the back side of a punch).

A few pictures would clear it up but we are all just guessing until he confirms what those mating surfaces look like.

Which is the reason I asked to try scrubbing the SCD in case the back engagement surface is ramped instead of a clean wall due to debris.

We are all just guessing without more data. The plunger hypothesis only comes into play if the striker sleeve cutout on the SCD and the sleeve itself are within spec.

JCN
10-13-2021, 03:59 AM

So the OP seems pretty handy and assuming no mechanical damage to either of the gunsí small parts, then:

The SCD is either cut out of spec (if his other one works) or the wall of the mating surface is dirty / slippery.

A sharp cleaning pick run along the SCD groove might help.

If out of spec a careful sharp file to either the SCD ears / top / or mating groove can give back the clearance to mate them better.

The plunger hypothesis was only under the face value assumption that the OP actually tried clicking it in place and could not. And that there was no damage to the striker sleeve. And there wasnít a gunked up primary mating surface.

And itís assuming that return / repair of any Tau products wonít happen in the foreseeable future.

23JAZ
10-13-2021, 06:04 AM
@TheNewbie (https://pistol-forum.com/member.php?u=16)

I think it has to be lack of bearing contact / pressure.

OP said that the plate clicked in when installed and canít be slid out by hand.

I just tried installing the plate WITHOUT a plunger at all.

So just one mating surface. It clicks into place.

But with the jackhammer impact of releasing the striker, it seems like the forward motion could also cause the plastic sleeve to rock forward slightlyÖ releasing pressure on the back plate and allowing it to slip shot by shot.

The only thing that would help keep it from slipping would be enough friction and pressure of the bearing on the back plate surface and only half of the little bearing surface is even doing that on the slimlines (as opposed to 7/8 on the full width). Mine has a pretty sharp divot carved in it from maybe 500 rounds since SCD install and no back plate removal in that time.
This is what I am thinking is happening.

Thank you for all the info guys! Everyone has been very helpful and I donít feel given up on. :) Hopefully someday Tau will get whatever is going on sorted out and Iíll get answers.

CHNEAL
10-13-2021, 06:14 PM
Hereís a picture of a slim line SCD that was out of spec. I tried this on 3-48( 1 standard 2 MOS) 2-43x(1 standard 1 MOS) and 2-43 and it wouldnít click in enough to stop from dropping down in a mag or two on any of them. I rednecked it until it fit and got the kinda double click that all my slimlines had then tossed it in my parts bin because I wouldnít trust it with my life or my wife or daughters and replaced it with a new one. By the way if anyone wants it shoot me a pm.
I went all in on the slimlines for 8 months or so but I found them to be less reliable then my ex-wife. Especially the 48 what a jokeÖ
Anyway I only posted this to show that an out of spec unit will exhibit the same issue the OP had. All told I put over 1000 rounds of 147gr HST thru 7 slimline guns all with SCD and this was the only one that ever showed a weakness( in the SCD anyway) Not sure if this helps or not but it is another data point.

Edit: after reading my post I realized I made it sound like ALL the slimline let me down, that was over stated. I found the 43 built with a 43x mos to be very reliable with 200 rounds 147 HST thru 2 and another 400 rounds federal 147 training thru another without a hiccup. My daughters 43x was a decent gun. The 48, in my opinion and testing was never able to get thru a mag or two of HST without crapping itself in any of my 3 examples.

Sorry for the thread drift.

JCN
10-14-2021, 02:21 PM
CHNEAL

I love to see that. Some people just want to know and figure out problems. Redneck labs rock.

Roughing up that surface might have helped the bearing grip too.

I wonder if it is that the slimlines are particularly vulnerable to this.

blues
10-14-2021, 02:27 PM
CHNEAL

I love to see that. Some people just want to know and figure out problems rather than take the easy way out. I wonder if the slimlines are more vulnerable to this than the full width. blues

Is there some reason you are tagging me? I have no way of knowing if slimlines are more vulnerable since I've never owned one.

My experience with those on Gen2 to Gen5 G19, 26, and 17 are without any known issues.

No need to summon me further on this matter. You seem to have a hard time saying goodbye for someone who kept harping on how others are behaving illogically.

Now, seriously, fuck off...and I mean that in the nicest way possible.

ETA:

I see you edited your post before I replied. You could have saved me the typing by leaving me out of your petty little drama to begin with.

JCN
10-14-2021, 02:51 PM
blues

I tagged you because it was an example that some people want to learn and understand failure modes and a ďbasement labĒ isnít as rare or preposterous as you think.

Also, even if you tell me to or want me to Fuck Off, I donít actually have to listen to you nor you to me.

To a fault, I like to point out when people are objectively wrong. Most of the time itís to help them educate themselves.

Sometimes itís to help others understand how wrong an individual is.

TheNewbie
10-14-2021, 04:02 PM
I just want SCDs or news about SCDs.

Also, more Mexican food and diet soda.

Duelist
10-14-2021, 04:45 PM
I just want SCDs or news about SCDs.

Also, more Mexican food and diet soda.

Diet soda? Blech. Cane sugar FTMFW.

TheNewbie
10-14-2021, 04:55 PM
Diet soda? Blech. Cane sugar FTMFW.

If I drank as much cane sugar as I do diet soda, I would be so fat I would have to call for assistance just to open my eyes.

Duelist
10-14-2021, 04:59 PM
If I drank as much cane sugar as I do diet soda, I would be so fat I would have to call for assistance just to open my eyes.

Well, I suppose diabetes is a thing. ;)

I usually drink a couple of sugared sodas per week, and they are usually craft root beers. If Iím going to drink a soda, itís going to be one that I really like.

Otherwise, itís a Dr Pepper on a long drive, or a blackberry lemonade at dinner on a date night with SWMBO.

Water is my main drink, day to day.

TheNewbie
10-14-2021, 05:09 PM
Well, I suppose diabetes is a thing. ;)

I usually drink a couple of sugared sodas per week, and they are usually craft root beers. If Iím going to drink a soda, itís going to be one that I really like.

Otherwise, itís a Dr Pepper on a long drive, or a blackberry lemonade at dinner on a date night with SWMBO.

Water is my main drink, day to day.

That's much healthier than what I do, considering I consume 6-8 cans of diet soda a day. My defense is that I also drink at least a gallon of water a day, I don't smoke or drink, I don't eat a lot of junk food, and I exercise a lot. Still, it's too much diet soda.

Dr. Pepper was probably my favorite sugar soda, but the diet version is not something I enjoy. Diet Coke and Diet Pepsi are my thing.

Of course if SCDs came back into production, I would celebrate with a diet soda.

I am really interested in the slim line vs regular SCD discussion. It's one that I would like to see more in depth analysis of.

CHNEAL
10-14-2021, 05:26 PM
Iíve carried and trained with both the full size gen 4 SCD and the slimline SCD on multiple examples of each and the biggest difference Iíve notice may well be a personal / individual issue. I found that the smaller grip and surface for your thumb on the slimline guns made a less then ideal contact for me. Almost like I couldnít get enough thumb on it. The SCD contacted my thumb too high on the devise and too low on my thumb. I was never able to get that positive contact as I could on the G19.
I really think it had a lot to do with the more pronounced ď beaver tail ď on the slimlines. Iíve never shot my 19 with the beaver tail so maybe it would be the same but I just donít know.

Duelist
10-14-2021, 05:41 PM
Iíve carried and trained with both the full size gen 4 SCD and the slimline SCD on multiple examples of each and the biggest difference Iíve notice may well be a personal / individual issue. I found that the smaller grip and surface for your thumb on the slimline guns made a less then ideal contact for me. Almost like I couldnít get enough thumb on it. The SCD contacted my thumb too high on the devise and too low on my thumb. I was never able to get that positive contact as I could on the G19.
I really think it had a lot to do with the more pronounced ď beaver tail ď on the slimlines. Iíve never shot my 19 with the beaver tail so maybe it would be the same but I just donít know.

On our pair of G42s, we seem to be able to get adequate leverage on the SCD. On my 26.3, I am able to get adequate leverage. On my 19x, I am fully satisfied with the leverage on the SCD with no beavertail, but w/o the beavertail on a back strap (no back strap or either non-beavertail back strap) I am susceptible to occasional slide tracks on the thumb knuckle.

I have to hook my thumb over the beavertail in a slower, more deliberate way to access the SCD. I decided that I donít mind that: itís another step of deliberately, reluctantly, carefully holstering the gun. The 19x is my favorite GLOCK to shoot. The 26.3 is my normal carry gun. My 42 is my slim little gun choice, but it competes with my 642 for holster time. My wifeís 42 is her only gun. She will also shoot a .22.

TheNewbie
10-14-2021, 06:21 PM
CHNEAL Duelist

Is it more difficult to get enough leverage to prevent the striker from moving on the slimline SCDs?

With a beavertail installed on a full size Glock, I found I needed to be more deliberate when using the SCD vs no beavertail.

Duelist
10-14-2021, 06:39 PM
CHNEAL Duelist

Is it more difficult to get enough leverage to prevent the striker from moving on the slimline SCDs?

With a beavertail installed on a full size Glock, I found I needed to be more deliberate when using the SCD vs no beavertail.

Depends on hand size/ thumb length.

Larry T
10-14-2021, 06:51 PM
CHNEAL Duelist

I can attest that using the beavertail backstraps make it harder to get a good thumb purchase against the SCD. But I remember reading early on that the objective of the SCD was NOT to arrest the firing pin as you would expect a hammer to do - but rather to give your thumb tactile feedback that if the SCD moved against your thumb to STOP holstering and clear the obstacle.

One potential problem I see with using the SCD is to rely on it too much. Distraction or complacency can cause one to thumb the SCD and assume out of repetition that all is clear without stopping to actually feel what the SCD is doing when holstering.

Totem Polar
10-14-2021, 06:51 PM
Since this thread has gone off the rails, back on, and off again several timesóthree observations:

The G26 is still the best of the breed.

The G42 works.

The 43 is no 26 or 42.

JMO.

Carry on, by all means.

:)

Duelist
10-14-2021, 06:57 PM
Since this thread has gone off the rails, back on, and off again several timesóthree observations:

The G26 is still the best of the breed.

The G42 works.

The 43 is no 26 or 42.

JMO.

Carry on, by all means.

:)

I cannot disagree with any of Brother Totemís points. The 19x is still my favorite to shoot, though.

TheNewbie
10-14-2021, 07:03 PM
I can attest that using the beavertail backstraps make it harder to get a good thumb purchase against the SCD. But I remember reading early on that the objective of the SCD was NOT to arrest the firing pin as you would expect a hammer to do - but rather to give your thumb tactile feedback that if the SCD moved against your thumb to STOP holstering and clear the obstacle.

One potential problem I see with using the SCD is to rely on it too much. Distraction or complacency can cause one to thumb the SCD and assume out of repetition that all is clear without stopping to actually feel what the SCD is doing when holstering.

Arresting the movement of the firing pin is the primary function of the SCD *for me*. The tactile feed back is a minor bonus. Thatís just how I look at it, but my view on it may not be proper.

If I used a NY1 trigger, then I could get the SCD to be almost as good as a hammer.

Initially I thought the slimline Glocks might be easier to use with the SCD, but thinking about it a little more, I can see why that might not be the case.

Totem Polar
10-14-2021, 09:06 PM
I cannot disagree with any of Brother Totemís points. The 19x is still my favorite to shoot, though.

No argument from me. Iím a 19x and G45 fan.

CHNEAL
10-15-2021, 06:27 AM
CHNEAL Duelist

I donít believe I have ever tried the beaver tail blackstrap and SCD combo on a full sized Glock. I do know that on the slimlines, for me at least it took a very deliberate tip of the thumb press to really feel like I had the SCD. It seemed that if I laid my thumb as I would on a 19 I was on the top of the gadget and the trigger moved much more before i felt the feedback from the SCD.
When i got my first SCD it was all about stopping the striker movement. I have since come to realize that by using it to stop the trigger I wasnít worrying about why the trigger was moving in the first place if that makes sense. While with good leverage the SCD will stop the trigger/striker ask yourself why you are holstering hard and fast enough to need it toÖ

The beauty of the SCD is the tactile feedback about a possible problem BEFORE there is a real problem. It isnít a safety, itís a compliment to the rules that keep us safe.

I will probably catch some flak for this but i have actually incorporated the SCD into dry fire practice. I am an old guy that always wears a tee shirt. The tee shirt has been known to ride up during drawing as it at times gets trapped between my thumb and the pistol. When-holstering it is very possible to catch the trigger with the tail of the shirt that is bunched and have actually had it happen., so I will intentionally stuff the shirt into the trigger guard and start to holster and make myself feel for the gadget. By practicing this in dry fire I find myself being very conscious and looking for the feedback on the range. Of course the goal is that it becomes so ingrained that God forbid I must use the pistol, putting it away in the middle of an adrenaline dump I will be as aware.

Stay Safe
Clay

blues
10-15-2021, 08:17 AM
I will probably catch some flak for this but i have actually incorporated the SCD into dry fire practice. I am an old guy that always wears a tee shirt. The tee shirt has been known to ride up during drawing as it at times gets trapped between my thumb and the pistol. When-holstering it is very possible to catch the trigger with the tail of the shirt that is bunched and have actually had it happen., so I will intentionally stuff the shirt into the trigger guard and start to holster and make myself feel for the gadget. By practicing this in dry fire I find myself being very conscious and looking for the feedback on the range. Of course the goal is that it becomes so ingrained that God forbid I must use the pistol, putting it away in the middle of an adrenaline dump I will be as aware.

Stay Safe
Clay

I don't imagine you will catch any flak. (Even if others don't employ the same methods.) If it helps you achieve the result of utilizing the SCD each and every time you go to holster the firearm, I'd call it a win.

CHNEAL
10-15-2021, 08:54 AM
I don't imagine you will catch any flak. (Even if others don't employ the same methods.) If it helps you achieve the result of utilizing the SCD each and every time you go to holster the firearm, I'd call it a win.

Thank you for saying so.

HeavyDuty
10-15-2021, 09:37 AM
Dr. Pepper was probably my favorite sugar soda, but the diet version is not something I enjoy.

I love P-F thread driftÖ

My lady is a Texas native (McAllen) and a reformed DP junkie that probably got it in her baby bottle, and I have been drinking the stuff since the mid 60s when it came in ice cold small glass bottles out of the gas station standup machine. She and I agree Diet Dr. Pepper sucks, but the new DP Zero Sugar is actually pretty damn good.

RoyGBiv
10-15-2021, 12:06 PM
I love P-F thread driftÖ

My lady is a Texas native (McAllen) and a reformed DP junkie that probably got it in her baby bottle, and I have been drinking the stuff since the mid 60s when it came in ice cold small glass bottles out of the gas station standup machine. She and I agree Diet Dr. Pepper sucks, but the new DP Zero Sugar is actually pretty damn good.

Phrasing? :rolleyes:

The 10 calorie low sugar version of "DP":rolleyes: is pretty good too. Even my teenager likes it.

HeavyDuty
10-15-2021, 02:06 PM
Phrasing? :rolleyes:

The 10 calorie low sugar version of "DP":rolleyes: is pretty good too. Even my teenager likes it.

I havenít seen that one. Iíll have to watch for it.

RoyGBiv
10-15-2021, 03:44 PM
I havenít seen that one. Iíll have to watch for it.

It may have succumbed to COVID/Supply Chain shortages....

https://www.kroger.com/product/images/large/front/0007800010316