PDA

View Full Version : Lock Your Doors

Tom Givens
06-06-2021, 12:29 PM
Lock Your Doors!

This happened five years ago in Indianapolis, but the lessons are 100% applicable today. A young woman was brutally raped and murdered in her own home at 7:00am by two intruders.

The young woman’s husband left their home shortly after 6:00am to go to a local gym. He told police he left the front door of their home unlocked. When he returned two hours later he found his wife raped and near death, shot in the back of the head. She died before medical intervention could save her. It appears that the perpetrators of this atrocity had just burglarized a home two doors down from the Blackburn’s home.

It is likely that the suspects saw him leave, and just as likely that they saw him fail to lock the door. They simply entered the home and committed their heinous crimes.

There are a number of lessons here. First, no time of day and no neighborhood are “off limits” to violent crime. It appears the suspects in this case had broken into three other homes in the same neighborhood between 5:30am, and 7:00am, stealing money, a laptop computer, clothing and other items. A few years ago, a student of ours was forced to shoot an intruder who kicked in the front door and entered the student’s home at 6:30am. Our student had to transition from getting his kids ready to go to school to shooting an intruder, in just seconds.

Next, lock your damn doors! It doesn’t matter what time of day it is, or that you will only be gone briefly. If an intruder has to break down a door to enter, that gives you warning and time to arm yourself. If they can just walk right in through an unlocked door, there is no delay, no noise to alert you and no time to react. Third, use your alarm system. Again, a burglar alarm won’t keep an intruder out, but it alerts you that you have a problem, making a response possible.

Now, here’s something to think about. In the Indianapolis case, the husband told police he deliberately left the door unlocked. He didn’t want to be bothered carrying keys when he walked to the nearby gym to work out. That combination of laziness and willful naivete cost his wife her life. As far as I’m concerned, he should be charged with Reckless Endangerment, which is exactly what he did. “But I don’t want to live in fear.”, the wide-eyed sheep says. Locking your doors is not living in fear, any more than wearing a seat belt in traffic or having a fire extinguisher in your home is. Locking your doors is simply taking a reasonable precaution against a real and foreseeable threat.
This is a perfect example of a preventable tragedy. Complacency and willful naivete combine to get decent people killed.

HeavyDuty
06-06-2021, 01:28 PM
Delete

Bergeron
06-06-2021, 01:33 PM
Damn, that's nightmare fuel right there.

I've had both a marriage and a relationship where she stayed at home. I always locked the door after I left, if for no other reason than I didn't want to have to live that guy's life.

The only time the doors are unlocked is when someone is actively passing through them. The reminder is timely, and always appreciated.

Jim Watson
06-06-2021, 01:59 PM
Geez, I learned to lock the door in the Good Old Days, had a key from age 8. There was always a concern for "prowlers."

My "semidetached" shop, I lock the kitchen door behind me, and lock the shop door while reloading.

But I still get visitors, friends and acquaintances, who get in and have trouble getting out because I lock the door behind them. Don't they lock up at home?

GJM
06-06-2021, 02:06 PM
After the FBI raid in Homer, my neighbor who is liberal, has a sign on his door that it is unlocked, so don't break it down.

blues
06-06-2021, 02:07 PM
But I still get visitors, friends and acquaintances, who get in and have trouble getting out because I lock the door behind them. Don't they lock up at home?

Everyone that leaves my house becomes flummoxed by the locked door.

I don't worry about it none.

(My wife locks me out regularly when I go out to do one chore or another. You'd think I'd get the hint by now. ;))

CCT125US
06-06-2021, 03:11 PM
One of our procedures is to remain in the locked car until the overhead garage door is fully closed. Pretty easy to send the door back up with an obstruction.

Joe45
06-06-2021, 03:41 PM
(My wife locks me out regularly when I go out to do one chore or another. You'd think I'd get the hint by now. ;))

I frequently have this problem when my wife locks me out back when I'm grilling or enjoying a cigar. I usually just smile and assume she'll let me in when it's time to eat.

Shoresy
06-06-2021, 03:42 PM
One of our procedures is to remain in the locked car until the overhead garage door is fully closed. Pretty easy to send the door back up with an obstruction.

Or for the thing to just plain hiccup and open itself and staying all night (or all day while you're at work). Not disputing your point, just that such concerns can arise without a bad actor being present. I do the exact same thing coming and going; I don't understand people who are halfway around the corner headed to work while their door is barely halfway down.

blues
06-06-2021, 03:45 PM
Or for the thing to just plain hiccup and open itself and staying all night (or all day while you're at work). Not disputing your point, just that such concerns can arise without a bad actor being present. I do the exact same thing coming and going; I don't understand people who are halfway around the corner headed to work while their door is barely halfway down.

Always wait to verify the garage door is closed before going off to town. (I don't have to head to work, thankfully.)

And...always lock the garage door opener in the vehicle safe when out of the 4Runner. (No sense handing some miscreant a way to get into the house if they broke into the vehicle.)

Coyotesfan97
06-06-2021, 04:29 PM
I always watch the door go down before driving off to make sure it stays down and if I don’t I’m a couple miles away from the house questioning myself whether I closed it.

deputyG23
06-07-2021, 05:25 AM
My doors stay locked even when home and they are checked frequently.
Vehicles as well.
Guess that is the old jailer in me coming out...

SAWBONES
06-07-2021, 09:04 AM
I always watch the door go down before driving off to make sure it stays down and if I don’t I’m a couple miles away from the house questioning myself whether I closed it.

Me too.

Duces Tecum
06-07-2021, 10:48 AM
Isn't there a way to cause doors to automatically lock when closed?

ST911
06-07-2021, 11:01 AM
Isn't there a way to cause doors to automatically lock when closed?

Many of the electronic door locks have settings for this, and are not terribly expensive.

Some residential garage door openers can do the above as well.

LittleLebowski
06-07-2021, 11:07 AM
Lock your doors and DOG.

BobM
06-07-2021, 12:32 PM
I was at my daughter’s house yesterday and noticed she had her car locked while it was parked in her garage. She learned a few things at the two Tac Cons I took her to.

blues
06-07-2021, 12:45 PM
I was at my daughter’s house yesterday and noticed she had her car locked while it was parked in her garage. She learned a few things at the two Tac Cons I took her to.

I thought everyone did this.

(But yeah, definitely good on her...and on you for taking her and training her in "the way".)

Tom Givens
06-07-2021, 01:52 PM
All of my exterior doors have electronic keypad locks. They lock automatically when you close them, but a 4 digit combination opens them back up. That way, when I take out the garbage I don't need keys and the door is locked behind me.

HeavyDuty
06-07-2021, 03:39 PM
All of my exterior doors have electronic keypad locks. They lock automatically when you close them, but a 4 digit combination opens them back up. That way, when I take out the garbage I don't need keys and the door is locked behind me.

Same.

camel
06-07-2021, 04:27 PM
Locked myself out of the house when I was a teenager. I was finishing chores and missed the neighborhood watch phone call to the house wondering if it was someone who just crawled through the window was supposed to be there. I was in a hurry to finish to get ready for a date.

The police officers were nice tough.

Phaedrus
06-07-2021, 04:51 PM
If you have guns stashed around your home for defense and you wear a gun at home but don't keep your doors locked, you are an idiot. My door is unlocked for about 45-90 seconds per day, just when I'm walking in and out of the place. I go out, I lock it behind me. I come home, I step through and lock it. I take my trash out to dumpster, I lock the door behind me. I keep a house key on a neck lanyard made of paracord (with a breakaway, natch) at all times. Only once in the last ten years have I locked myself out but the key on my neck is a good insurance policy against CRS.

I've kept my doors locked for my entire adult life. There's one instance where I'm pretty certain my good locks and sturdy doors saved me from having to shoot someone.

D-der
06-07-2021, 06:34 PM
I pretty much live in the woods, 4th house from the end of a dead end dirt road, some days we might see as many ATV's or snow machine's as cars go by...
Sure, there's a few guns here and there (out of sight), alarm system and if I have pants on, I'm armed but, if we go in or out, the door gets locked behind us.
Sick shit happens, better safe than sorry.

Rick R
06-07-2021, 09:38 PM
I live at the end of a 300 yard long driveway, other than delivery drivers there are less than three vehicles here per year.

1) If I have pants on I have a gun (or two)
2) If I’m off the property the doors are locked
3) If it’s dark the doors are locked, most of the time during the day they are locked
4) My indoor dogs will alert me to anyone (any deer, any bunny) near to the house. I found two US Marshals on my property one day looking for a subject with a warrant. Wearing plate armor, pistols and radios they were still a bit concerned that they had disturbed the Hounds of Hell.

The guy who left his door unlocked to go to the gym was being willfully stupid about how the world works and should be ashamed for life. But he’s probably still a gym rat who doesn’t care about any one except himself.

blues
06-07-2021, 10:12 PM
The guy who left his door unlocked to go to the gym was being willfully stupid about how the world works and should be ashamed for life. But he’s probably still a gym rat who doesn’t care about any one except himself.

Mistake, blunder, stupid decision...whatever, I'm fine with that. He'll have to carry that burden for the rest of his days.

How we get to he's probably someone who doesn't care about anyone except himself reminds me of the sorts of indictments and cancel culture we rail against here daily.

We're either better than that or we're the very same folks we excoriate for their assumptions, presumptions and virtue signaling.

(Nothing against you, Rick R , I'm simply using this as an illustration of something I find a bit disturbing.)

Phaedrus
06-08-2021, 12:15 AM
I feel terrible for the husband and his wife but I imagine it's someone he and most people do every day. Probably lived that way his whole life, lots of people do. I suppose 98.5% of the time nothing bad happens so it's kind of hard to call it criminal on his part. My next door neighbor never locks his door; one day I was talking about locks and he says he's not even sure where he put his keys!:eek:

blues
06-08-2021, 08:05 AM
I feel terrible for the husband and his wife but I imagine it's someone he and most people do every day. Probably lived that way his whole life, lots of people do. I suppose 98.5% of the time nothing bad happens so it's kind of hard to call it criminal on his part. My next door neighbor never locks his door; one day I was talking about locks and he says he's not even sure where he put his keys!:eek:

In 18 years I've never known the neighbors across the road to lock up their place. I've seen every sort of individual enter when they're not home (apparently with permission) from workmen to family and friends.

I don't get it, but I don't get them, so mind my business.

Leroy Suggs
06-08-2021, 11:17 AM
Mistake, blunder, stupid decision...whatever, I'm fine with that. He'll have to carry that burden for the rest of his days.

How we get to he's probably someone who doesn't care about anyone except himself reminds me of the sorts of indictments and cancel culture we rail against here daily.

We're either better than that or we're the very same folks we excoriate for their assumptions, presumptions and virtue signaling.

(Nothing against you, Rick R , I'm simply using this as an illustration of something I find a bit disturbing.)

Excellent post brother.
It displays the mindset and attitude of a man who would do "to ride the river with".

blues
06-08-2021, 11:21 AM
Excellent post brother.
It displays the mindset and attitude of a man who would do "to ride the river with".

I'd be proud to wear that honorific. Thank you, D.

BigDaddy
06-08-2021, 09:39 PM
When I was looking for a home in the country we made an appointment to take a look at a house. When we get there we notice that the front door is open. I call the realtor and tell him that the owners are still home cause the door is wide open. He says so what. Why would they lock the doors? He arrives a short time later, we go inside and nobody is home. He tells me "that's how we live in the country. We usually don't lock our doors". And they don't. They think I'm nuts because I always have a gun nearby and we DO lock our doors. As far as charging that guy that went to the gym and left his door unlocked with reckless endangerment, that's an extreme stretch and IMHO, wouldn't go anywhere.

Bio
06-09-2021, 07:27 AM
What's the take on door locking when you have kids? I've locked doors all my adult life, but on afternoons after school and weekends during the day, my kids are in and out of the house all the time. Telling them they're not supposed to go play outside seems both harmful to them and an impossibility.

WobblyPossum
06-09-2021, 09:08 AM
What's the take on door locking when you have kids? I've locked doors all my adult life, but on afternoons after school and weekends during the day, my kids are in and out of the house all the time. Telling them they're not supposed to go play outside seems both harmful to them and an impossibility.

Can they be trusted with keys? If not, what about installing keypad deadbolts? Then they just need to input the code on their way back inside and don’t need to worry about losing keys.

flyrodr
06-09-2021, 04:27 PM
OK, I'll admit to apparently living in an alternate universe . . . and being a kid myself growing up in a small town (not all that far from Mayberry), well over a half century ago. Back then, wanting to be way early to Little League baseball games, I'd walk the 1+ mile to the ball field. And being in a uniform, 10-12 years old, with a glove and bat, I'd usually be offered a ride, which I gladly took. Same walking to the swimming pool or golf course (kids could play for a buck, if we made sure "stay out of the way of the adults"). Nobody I knew ever locked their house or car. Yes, "historical data".

A few decades later, and in a larger town, our son (as soon as he was fully aware of cars, etc.) was OK'd to go in and out pretty much at will. Certainly, during the day, when we were home, the doors were rarely locked. At night, everything was locked.

Now, wife and I keep doors locked when we're away, or when we're here if it's obvious that we're not here. Out doing yard work, etc. or playing with grandkids, house is mostly unlocked. Same with son at his house, out in the country.

Maybe wouldn't be smart in many parts of the country. Seems to have worked OK for us and lots of neighbors for decades in the South, certainly in the low-crime areas where we've always lived. Admittedly, door-to-door solicitation is increasing, but in almost every case I can recall, even with the garage door open, solicitors go to the front door and ring the doorbell.

I'm assuming those suggesting that kids carry a house key, or a key pad be installed, aren't familiar with having a bunch of kids around and summer activities. Or, assuming that kids even think about shutting a door, coming or going. ;~)

Wondering Beard
06-09-2021, 05:52 PM
I'm assuming those suggesting that kids carry a house key, or a key pad be installed, aren't familiar with having a bunch of kids around and summer activities. Or, assuming that kids even think about shutting a door, coming or going. ;~)

I don't know at what age you define as 'kids' but by age 7 (early 70s) I, and all my friends, carried the keys to our respective homes. We would lock the doors when we left to do all the fun things kids our age would do (unsupervised in those years) and use our keys to get back in. It was the norm.

Half Moon
06-09-2021, 06:12 PM
I don't know at what age you define as 'kids' but by age 7 (early 70s) I, and all my friends, carried the keys to our respective homes. We would lock the doors when we left to do all the fun things kids our age would do (unsupervised in those years) and use our keys to get back in. It was the norm.

Same norm here. Can't be a latchkey kid without a latch and a key...

randyho
06-09-2021, 06:22 PM
For those of you with alarms. There are alarms and there are alarms. Here is a video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UlNkQJzw4oA) that has had 2 million+views of how to simply defeat a simplisafe system. Simplisafe is not the only vulnerable system to this sort of thing.
BLUF: tape down the transmit buttons on a couple a baofengs on the right frequency and then drive a bobcat through the front door, unnoticed.

For any wireless security system, please attach another router from your main router, and connect devices through it to further segregate your physical security and anything else that would be considered internet of things from your main home network. My tivo's (I'm old, shut up.) and other IoT systems have no idea that my computers exist, as it should be.

Also, update your router's firmware every ... pick favorite meaningless holiday here. No one does this. Everyone should.

flyrodr
06-09-2021, 06:55 PM

Well - - - and again not saying it's the best way, and it could be the worst in some cases - - - but once when we went to church, and for a reason still unknown, my sister decided to lock all the doors (she was a teenager then; I was actually around 7, in the late '50s). Turned out when we got home and found that out, neither of my parents had a key on them, nor did my grandparents who lived down the way a bit. Since it was Sunday, and there was no one to call to get the door unlocked (Did I mention "small town"? There were no locksmiths, only hardware stores with "Keys Made Here" signs, and not open on Sunday), my Dad decided we'd have to break a window to get in. I remember it took quite a whack (I asked to "do the honors") to break the window, even though it was single pane glass. And we did go to the hardware store the next day to get a replacement piece cut. I also got to help put it in, although I don't recall volunteering. Nor do I recall my parents carrying door keys after that, or locking the doors, other than when we went on out-of-town trips.

Mayberry . . .

CleverNickname
06-09-2021, 07:06 PM
For any wireless security system, please attach another router from your main router, and connect devices through it to further segregate your physical security and anything else that would be considered internet of things from your main home network. My tivo's (I'm old, shut up.) and other IoT systems have no idea that my computers exist, as it should be.
No need to get a separate router. Any router OS worth a darn will be able to make multiple virtual wireless APs. If the one on your router can't, you should be able to replace it with something like OpenWRT (https://openwrt.org/).

Lex Luthier
06-09-2021, 08:14 PM
Same norm here. Can't be a latchkey kid without a latch and a key...

This was The Way for us too by the mid 1970s.

Borderland
06-09-2021, 08:43 PM
After the FBI raid in Homer, my neighbor who is liberal, has a sign on his door that it is unlocked, so don't break it down.

Years ago trailheads were a target for people breaking windows to access the contents of your car. People started leaving signs on their windows that the car was unlocked and there's nothing of any value inside. Check it out.

randyho
06-09-2021, 08:43 PM
No need to get a separate router. Any router OS worth a darn will be able to make multiple virtual wireless APs. If the one on your router can't, you should be able to replace it with something like OpenWRT (https://openwrt.org/).

Another router is the easy button here. Comparing OS's? nope.

GJM
06-09-2021, 08:51 PM
Years ago trailheads were a target for people breaking windows to access the contents of your car. People started leaving signs on their windows that the car was unlocked and there's nothing of any value inside. Check it out.

A beater Subaru and unlocked doors is SOP at many Anchorage trailheads.

Borderland
06-09-2021, 09:01 PM
Everyone that leaves my house becomes flummoxed by the locked door.

I don't worry about it none.

I get locked out a lot also. Not sure what that's about. ;)

Phaedrus
06-09-2021, 10:03 PM
OK, I'll admit to apparently living in an alternate universe . . . and being a kid myself growing up in a small town (not all that far from Mayberry), well over a half century ago. Back then, wanting to be way early to Little League baseball games, I'd walk the 1+ mile to the ball field. And being in a uniform, 10-12 years old, with a glove and bat, I'd usually be offered a ride, which I gladly took. Same walking to the swimming pool or golf course (kids could play for a buck, if we made sure "stay out of the way of the adults"). Nobody I knew ever locked their house or car. Yes, "historical data".

I feel ya'! When I was a kid one of the toys my folks bought for my siblings and me was a set of lawn darts. LAWN DARTS! Eventually they were pulled from the market after a few kids got killed by them. So there's a wide gulf between our modern notion of liability and even common sense vs the mindset we had back then. I don't ever remember wearing my seatbelts until it became a law sometime in the late 70's or early 80's, and even then I didn't actually start wearing mine until I got pulled over for it and got a ticket ($25 fine!). Funny thing, we didn't lock the doors in the daytime either. But it's not like there was no such thing as crime. Back before the internet we still told campfire tales about gruesome murders and violent crime rates were actually higher then than they are now.

In retrospect I think it was normalcy bias combined with a lack of public narratives of crime. That latter thing is kind of a clumsy way to put it but I don't know how to say it better. There was no internet, no 24 hour cable news. Fox didn't exist yet to start pumping us up with fear of...pretty much everything. We all vaguely knew there was bad in the world and a lot of stuff beyond the borders of our little hamlet of 700 sitting in the armpit of the world. But the palpable sense of it didn't really permeate into our daily lives.

Honestly, there isn't a lot of property crime in my corner of Montana. The specific layout of my neighborhood makes access control to my place pretty easy. If I never locked my doors it's probable that nothing would ever happen. But it's not the odds, it's the stakes. Again, I keep a spare key on a neck lanyard and it's virtually no effort at all to lock my doors so why wouldn't I? Kind of like carrying a gun, it's simply another safety measure that I have decided to adopt, like wearing seat belts, dating perishable foods with a Sharpie, keeping fire extinguishers by the computer and in the kitchen, etc. I've never felt like those things were symptoms of living in fear, quite the contrary; I do them and go about my day.

Wondering Beard
06-09-2021, 11:45 PM
Well - - - and again not saying it's the best way, and it could be the worst in some cases - - - but once when we went to church, and for a reason still unknown, my sister decided to lock all the doors (she was a teenager then; I was actually around 7, in the late '50s). Turned out when we got home and found that out, neither of my parents had a key on them, nor did my grandparents who lived down the way a bit. Since it was Sunday, and there was no one to call to get the door unlocked (Did I mention "small town"? There were no locksmiths, only hardware stores with "Keys Made Here" signs, and not open on Sunday), my Dad decided we'd have to break a window to get in. I remember it took quite a whack (I asked to "do the honors") to break the window, even though it was single pane glass. And we did go to the hardware store the next day to get a replacement piece cut. I also got to help put it in, although I don't recall volunteering. Nor do I recall my parents carrying door keys after that, or locking the doors, other than when we went on out-of-town trips.

Mayberry . . .

I think you present the most important variable: local culture.

In your case, small town 'Mayberry'; in my case, big city Europe and cops with SMGs on the street was normal. I imagine that some suburbs are more security conscious than others, have certain traditions and cultures regarding how kids behave that are different from others even with similar levels of wealth (e.g. a Chicago suburb vs a San Antonio suburb, poor or rich).

Bio
06-10-2021, 01:07 PM
Can they be trusted with keys? If not, what about installing keypad deadbolts? Then they just need to input the code on their way back inside and don’t need to worry about losing keys.

One can be trusted with a key. It's more the idea that I don't like locked doors when my kids are out. It feels very wrong for me to have locked doors to protect me in the house when kids are playing unprotected in the back yard. That's very much an emotional reaction, not a rational one.

WobblyPossum
06-10-2021, 02:22 PM
One can be trusted with a key. It's more the idea that I don't like locked doors when my kids are out. It feels very wrong for me to have locked doors to protect me in the house when kids are playing unprotected in the back yard. That's very much an emotional reaction, not a rational one.

Ah I misunderstood. I thought you were asking about the practical application of how to ensure the doors stayed locked. I didn’t understand that you were discussing the emotional aspect of your circumstances. I’m not sure what you should do.

Bio
06-10-2021, 03:28 PM
Ah I misunderstood. I thought you were asking about the practical application of how to ensure the doors stayed locked. I didn’t understand that you were discussing the emotional aspect of your circumstances. I’m not sure what you should do.

Yeah, I wasn't at all clear. It had more emotional weight than I think I even realized when I initially asked the question.

Casual Friday
06-10-2021, 07:00 PM

As with anything, there's a balance to be struck. I work from home so there's about 7 hours a day where it's just me and the dog. I love fresh air. I like to have the front door open during the day with the security screen door locked. Our dog is an Australian Cattle Dog. They are very protective, territorial, and he alerts me to, well, everything. I leave our back sliding glass door open a lot during the day too, but it's right by where I do my work and I have a carbine sitting there with me. Anybody or anything at the back of the house and my dog lets me know.

After the kids are home, the door may or may not be locked at all times due to the kids going in and out a lot. That may put me at odds with some folks here who are empty nesters or those that never had kids, but it is what it is. Typically, once my wife gets home we're all inside or out on the patio for dinner and the front door and security screen door are both locked. Like I said earlier, there's a balance to be struck. You can't lock it up like Fort Knox 24/7 and enjoy life. That's a benefit to living in a low crime rural setting, something that I realize is not possible for everyone and they may need to do things differently.

LittleLebowski mentioned Dog earlier and I can't agree with him more. This morning I was sitting on the back patio drinking coffee and reading and my dog jumped up and hit the afterburners heading out front barking at something. I didn't hear anyone or anything, but he did. It was a realtor who just pulled into my driveway to turn around. A good watch dog will alert you long before you ever have a chance to figure out something or someone is outside, whether their intentions are good or bad.

Odin Bravo One
06-10-2021, 07:53 PM
My animal makes sure to let people and other animals know if they’re welcome or not, and alerts me to shit like a bear in the yard from over 100 yards away, while she is inside the house. She’s also been known to run a bear off the property. Delivery drivers know not to exit their vehicles when she’s outside until I catch up. And that she can’t be bribed with food unless I show up and tell her it’s ok.

Our security system is cellular, and our video system sends me texts any time a camera is motion triggered, with real time streaming video. We have multiple signs at the driveway entrance, as well as throughout the back trails of the property that eventually lead to the house/yard, advising wrong doing motherfuckers that we have a security system, a well-trained, and very capable canine companion/service animal, and a 24/7 real time, and recorded video system + the alarm/security system. The alarm skips any middle men, and goes directly to the local Sheriff’s Office, who has the information of what is stored in the vault, and prioritizes their response accordingly.

If I’m awake I’m carrying a firearm or it is within arms reach. There are also covertly staged serious use firearms throughout the house, so it’s no more than a few steps to obtain one and put it to use.

Everyone in the house is trained appropriately to their age/skill level on the use of those arms in the common areas.

Not to be contradictory, or suggest not to lock your doors………by all means, lock them. I firmly believe in making your home less attractive as a target than another less protected home.

But having opened locked doors as a profession for a couple of decades, most residential locks are weak chili, and can really only be relied upon as a split second alert that danger is on your doorstep. I’ve yet to find a domestic residential lock that takes me longer than 3-5 seconds defeat, without tools. More often than not, I can have a residential front door open in less than 1 second.

Residential burglars and home invasion types are generally fairly adept at the same skills.

A multi-layered defensive posture with built in redundancies is far more effective than your Home Depot dead bolt.

Ichiban
09-06-2022, 07:56 AM
Sorry to revive a zombie thread, but...

https://twitter.com/i/status/1566887635217514498

Duelist
09-06-2022, 08:35 AM
1-none of that probably would have happened if he’d locked the damn door.
2-seconds? Seconds? If the guy had been only mildly determined (instead of mentally disturbed or high, as this guy appeared to be), he’d have let the count run down and said, “Now what, m-f?” If he’d been really determined, and had a gun in the bag the homeowner allowed him to open, well, it would have been ugly.

3-see one.

Ichiban
03-29-2024, 08:10 AM
Reviving the zombie thread once again.

I think I'd be in jail.
https://twitter.com/NoContextHumans/status/1773207134987288672

HeavyDuty
03-29-2024, 09:53 AM

I think I'd be in jail.

I’d need to repaint the foyer walls.

Rick R
03-29-2024, 11:52 AM

I think I'd be in jail.

From the accents the best the homeowner could do is offer up tea and biscuits instead of a heaping helping of American style 00.

ragnar_d
03-29-2024, 02:26 PM
From the accents the best the homeowner could do is offer up tea and biscuits instead of a heaping helping of American style 00.
Yup. Happened over across the pond. The excuses for the behavior seem to be the same though. "He's a good boy," "He's doing so well in school," "He hasn't had a father figure since he was 2," and on and on.
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-12775705/tiktok-prankster-mizzy-court-jail-criminal-behaviour-order-banned-videos.html

Bucky
03-29-2024, 04:08 PM
Now, here’s something to think about. In the Indianapolis case, the husband told police he deliberately left the door unlocked. He didn’t want to be bothered carrying keys when he walked to the nearby gym to work out. That combination of laziness and willful naivete cost his wife her life. As far as I’m concerned, he should be charged with Reckless Endangerment, which is exactly what he did. “But I don’t want to live in fear.”, the wide-eyed sheep says. Locking your doors is not living in fear, any more than wearing a seat belt in traffic or having a fire extinguisher in your home is. Locking your doors is simply taking a reasonable precaution against a real and foreseeable threat.
This is a perfect example of a preventable tragedy. Complacency and willful naivete combine to get decent people killed.

That’s a bit harsh, wouldn’t you say?

HeavyDuty
03-29-2024, 04:22 PM

I agree with Tom.

Tom Givens
03-29-2024, 05:24 PM

Yes, reality IS harsh.

In the 21st century, no one should have to be told to lock the door when you leave your home with your wife and children inside, sleeping.

How hard would it have been to put a house key in the pocket of his gym shorts?

Bucky
03-29-2024, 06:01 PM
Yes, reality IS harsh.

In the 21st century, no one should have to be told to lock the door when you leave your home with your wife and children inside, sleeping.

How hard would it have been to put a house key in the pocket of his gym shorts?

It shouldn’t be a crime not to lock your door. He lost his wife, and now should be thrown in jail? The lost wife is the harsh reality.

Who is the say if the door was locked that the same outcome wouldn’t have happened? Sure, bashing the door down will make a lot of noise, but there’s a lot of other way to break into a home without making much noise.

Tom Givens
03-29-2024, 06:18 PM
It shouldn’t be a crime not to lock your door. He lost his wife, and now should be thrown in jail? The lost wife is the harsh reality.

Who is the say if the door was locked that the same outcome wouldn’t have happened? Sure, bashing the door down will make a lot of noise, but there’s a lot of other way to break into a home without making much noise.

The offenders admitted they went in because the door was unlocked. That's all from me on this.

HeavyDuty
03-29-2024, 07:04 PM

The jogger is not the victim.

Totem Polar
03-30-2024, 12:02 AM
I’m willing to split the baby on this one: the guy was a total douche for carelessly leaving his family to the winds of fate just to avoid carrying a key. What a complete lack of manhood. He failed at life.

At the same time, he’s got to live with it. I don’t see any point in piling on legal charges. He’s not the VCAs doing the crime.

JMO.

Hambo
03-30-2024, 06:00 AM
The offenders admitted they went in because the door was unlocked. That's all from me on this.

I read a book a long time ago about serial killers, and one case stood out. The guy was totally disorganized, and his only criteria in victim selection was whether or not the door was unlocked.

It's pretty fucking simple in the 21st century. Electronic deadbolts are inexpensive and easy to install. I haven't carried a house key in years, and our doors are locked all the time.

Bucky
03-30-2024, 06:24 AM
The jogger is not the victim.

Would you feel differently if he forgot to lock the door, and didn’t intentionally leave it unlocked?

HeavyDuty
03-30-2024, 07:28 AM
Would you feel differently if he forgot to lock the door, and didn’t intentionally leave it unlocked?

Yes. It’s the difference between negligence and gross negligence.

CraigS
03-30-2024, 07:56 AM
I read a book a long time ago about serial killers, and one case stood out. The guy was totally disorganized, and his only criteria in victim selection was whether or not the door was unlocked.

It's pretty fucking simple in the 21st century. Electronic deadbolts are inexpensive and easy to install. I haven't carried a house key in years, and our doors are locked all the time.
Yep, 3 houses ago we got these.
https://www.schlage.com/en/home/products/BE365PLYFFF.html
The two times we have moved since these went onto the house in the first week. To lock it on the way out you hit the little button above the keypad and turn the knob 70-80deg to the left. To lock on the way in you turn the lever 70deg. It is now just a natural thing we do every time we go through the door. Yesterday we were unloading a bunch of stuff from the car and carrying it into the house. One item needed to go in the garage that we were walking through. I decided to spend the 3 minutes needed to put it in it's proper place vs setting it on my workbench. Done putting it away I hit the garage door button, went to open the door to the house and it was locked. Did the combination, muttered a bit on the way in. Wife says sorry, it's just automatic, I didn't mean to lock you out.

HeavyDuty
03-30-2024, 08:07 AM
We have a Yale electronic lock on the front door and everybody has their own code. I can check lock status remotely and even lock or unlock it when I’m not home. We have two other keyed entries if the electronic lock goes TU, but it’s been reliable.

Chuck Whitlock
03-30-2024, 08:51 AM
I’m willing to split the baby on this one: the guy was a total douche for carelessly leaving his family to the winds of fate just to avoid carrying a key.

Yup. You can lock it up without having to tote around that huge, heavy key.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Kwikset-Signature-Series-Powerbolt-250-Venetian-Bronze-Single-Cylinder-Smartkey-Electronic-Deadbolt-Lighted-Keypad/5014056323

Ours is a Kwikset similar to this. Of course, the security screen door covering it is formed in such a way that I have a regular dumb deadbolt on it, so I still use a key.

The electronic deadbolt is how I got my parents to actually use the deadbolt at their house instead of just the dinky knob lock.

blues
03-30-2024, 08:58 AM
I wonder how often electronic locks fail, requiring folks to break into their own homes.

(Sort of like the electronic safe misadventures which have been reported.)

I don't know the answer, which is why I posted this.

HeavyDuty
03-30-2024, 09:02 AM
I wonder how often electronic locks fail, requiring folks to break into their own homes.

I wouldn’t have only electronic locks on either.

blues
03-30-2024, 09:23 AM
I wouldn’t have only electronic locks on either.

Not exactly sure what you mean by this.

RoyGBiv
03-30-2024, 10:30 AM

Mine also have a traditional key. I keep an unmarked key hidden in the garage, just in case.

luckyman
03-30-2024, 10:31 AM

The 2 models I have had both can be opened with a key in any worst case scenario, and can be locked manually without either the electronics or the key. I carry the key with me all the time, but nobody else in the household does.

The model I have currently runs a couple years on one set of batteries, and is good about giving you ample warning that the batteries are getting weak. That lock is the one electronic device I own that has never had a hiccup. Hope I didn’t just curse myself.

Anecdotally I have yet to hear of a problem, but that is only a sample size of 7 locks over maybe 10 years from 3 families so not worth much.

psalms144.1
03-30-2024, 10:37 AM
The 2 models I have had both can be opened with a key in any worst case scenario, and can be locked manually without either the electronics or the key. I carry the key with me all the time, but nobody else in the household does.

The model I have currently runs a couple years on one set of batteries, and is good about giving you ample warning that the batteries are getting weak. That lock is the one electronic device I own that has never had a hiccup. Hope I didn’t just curse myself.

Anecdotally I have yet to hear of a problem, but that is only a sample size of 7 locks over maybe 10 years from 3 families so not worth much.Do you mind saying what brand/model? I've got a big-box fingerprint reader lock that works fine, but it eats batteries like crazy and I'm not crazy about the "firmware" updates that get pushed (poorly) by the manufacturer. In the 3 years I've had it, we've had four firmware pushes, none of which ever reached my smartphone without significant hassles.

blues
03-30-2024, 10:52 AM
I guess that's the point I was getting at. You still need to have a key on you or secreted somewhere.

The auto locking function of the electronic lock is a convenience perhaps...but I don't see it as a solution to simply locking the door...(since there's still a chance I'll need that key.)

I'll stick with the old school method.

luckyman
03-30-2024, 11:21 AM
Do you mind saying what brand/model? I've got a big-box fingerprint reader lock that works fine, but it eats batteries like crazy and I'm not crazy about the "firmware" updates that get pushed (poorly) by the manufacturer. In the 3 years I've had it, we've had four firmware pushes, none of which ever reached my smartphone without significant hassles.

I have a Schlage Encode Plus, that is integrated with my Apple HomeKit home automation. It’s not cheap, but it works.
Based on how well mine works my sister-in-law got the slightly cheaper non-plus version I think.

cosermann
03-30-2024, 11:43 AM
I went to electronic locks because I could NOT get the kids, when little, to consistently keep the doors locked (or even my wife at times). With elocks they’re always locked.

Key backup enables u to get in if the lock fails, however, in 18 yrs of using them, I’ve never had a failure. Wear out, yes. Batteries need replacing, yes. But I’ve always had warning to replace. Never locked out.

HeavyDuty
03-30-2024, 01:18 PM
Not exactly sure what you mean by this.

I wouldn’t have only electronic exterior locks on my house (I want at least one keyed entryway or a key backup) and I wouldn’t have a gun safe without a keyed backup.

blues
03-30-2024, 01:40 PM
I wouldn’t have only electronic exterior locks on my house (I want at least one keyed entryway or a key backup) and I wouldn’t have a gun safe without a keyed backup.

Right. So, in my case, with just me, the wife and dog...I see no benefit over just having a keyed lock. Others' mileage will vary.

Hambo
03-31-2024, 04:07 AM
I guess that's the point I was getting at. You still need to have a key on you or secreted somewhere.

Not unless you only have one door. My locks are Schlage or Kwikset, and they have no smart features to hack. Four AA batteries, and you can tell when they need replacement because the bolt motor runs slower. I have an attached workshop that is only accessible from its own exterior door, and I keep a house key in the shop. I would have to have three independent locks fail at the same time to get locked out. Batteries last six months to a year.

CraigS
03-31-2024, 08:41 AM
We are also somewhere over 15 yrs and 3 houses w/ the Schlage locks I posted above. Never had a failure and the 9V battery lasts > a year. Beyond the obvious advantage, the other is no more messing around dragging a key out of a pocket. This really works well now that our cars all run off of a fob so no need for a key there either. Way back when, the first time I got out of the car, grabbed groceries in both hands and got to the locked door, and was able to unlock it w/o setting the bags down I knew I had made the right choice. Then, when I had been working in the back yard 100ft from the house, came back to get in and realized I didn't have my keys (cars still used keys then and house key was on the same ring as the car keys which was in the house because I wasn't going to drive anywhere) all I did was walk around front to unlock w/ the keypad, I also knew I had made the right choice. Beat the heck out of getting a paint scraper and bending the blade to jimmy the back door open as I had done 6 months previously. I also bought another keypad lock for the back door the next week. BTW, you ever need someone to be able to get into your house when you are gone? We do to feed the cats. You can program multiple codes into the lock. So I ad a code for the cat feeder before we leave. When we get back I delete that code.

4RNR
03-31-2024, 01:52 PM
Maybe 20 or so years ago, when keyless vehicle FOBs were still an option but not a standard feature my freind's grandpa went car shopping. He was offered a FOB at $$$$. His reply was......do I still have to carry the bags to the car and load them myself?

Alembic
04-06-2024, 02:16 PM

I sell Schlage, Emtek and Baldwin lock sets. We see failures on both Emtek and Baldwin keypad sets. Not sure why, they are twice and three times the price, superior materials and assembly, but returns show issues with both.

Literally zero Schlage keypad returns in the limited time I've held this job. 3 years, so, limited sample.

Personally own two Home Despot, purchased in 2015, Schlage keypad latch units, 9volt battery powered. The batteries seem to last 3+ years before they start to blink when opened. Sure the leaver spindle is loose, rattles a bit after almost 9 years, but they open everytime.

We have the keypad set to always lock after entry and exit. Take out the trash for two minutes or the dog for two hours; the door is always locked. Backed by a keyed deadbolt locked at night and when we leave for extended periods. However day to day we don't lock the bolt, I, the wife, daughter, dog walker, friends are never locked out. Peace of mind.

Would never have a home without a keypad entry again.

blues
04-06-2024, 02:20 PM
I have keyed Schlage locksets on all of our doors. I was just adjusting the escutcheon or backplate or whatever it's called on the front door this morning.

Maybe down the road I'll upgrade. It's just me and the missus and the dog...not in any big rush at this juncture.

cmbarny2
04-07-2024, 04:38 PM
I desperately need an electronic set that auto locks. My lovely other half is downright awful about remembering to lock the front door. I just need it to replace the deadbolt as the handle doesn't have its own lock for our current set. But one that replaces both for a better look would also be nice.

CraigS
04-08-2024, 08:12 AM
I desperately need an electronic set that auto locks. My lovely other half is downright awful about remembering to lock the front door. I just need it to replace the deadbolt as the handle doesn't have its own lock for our current set. But one that replaces both for a better look would also be nice.
For whatever reason our keypad locks are the deadbolt locks. We don't bother w/ the normal lock at all. In fact I have the little lock knob on the inside covered w/ tape. But check Alembic's post. Apparently the normal twist door lock in keypad version can be set to auto lock. Bingo for your need!

Dog Face Gremlin
04-08-2024, 11:39 AM
don't sleep with your windows open...........

Clusterfrack
04-15-2024, 10:02 AM
Group of thugs threaten to shoot homeowner if he comes out of his house...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bfIOI1XxxMY

RevolverRob
04-15-2024, 01:28 PM

Seems like a good time to keep someone arguing and distracting them, while you roll out the backside and hit them with a bunch of buckshot.

Or at least that's what would happen if I had my way.

Duelist
04-15-2024, 08:43 PM

Aren’t they the ones risking their lives trying to take one? I know some people who would take the verbal threat the loud punk made and run with it…

Totem Polar
04-15-2024, 11:32 PM
This is why we can’t have nice things.

Also, if this sort of group thug behavior becomes commonplace, the book “Fry the brain” will cross genres over into mainstream religious literature.

Lex Luthier
04-16-2024, 12:12 PM
This is why we can’t have nice things.

Also, if this sort of group thug behavior becomes commonplace, the book “Fry the brain” will cross genres over into mainstream religious literature.

Which book a bing search shows as being available for free/cheap download on several legit sites.

If it does become commonplace outside of Oakland and San Jose, the thieves better have serious warlord protection, or there will be heads on pikes.

Coyotesfan97
04-16-2024, 12:36 PM
Aren’t they the ones risking their lives trying to take one? I know some people who would take the verbal threat the loud punk made and run with it…

That’s exactly what I thought. You fucks ares risking your life to take that car.

CraigS
04-16-2024, 01:17 PM
As much as I'd like to grab my AR and take them all out, you can't kill someone for stealing your car. Now a days I don't 'think' that their threat would be enough to say that one feared for one's life, when all one has to do is stay in the house. If one ran out to investigate a noise, and then the a--hole pulled a gun, killing him/them might be justified.

RoyGBiv
04-16-2024, 02:21 PM
As much as I'd like to grab my AR and take them all out, you can't kill someone for stealing your car. Now a days I don't 'think' that their threat would be enough to say that one feared for one's life, when all one has to do is stay in the house. If one ran out to investigate a noise, and then the a--hole pulled a gun, killing him/them might be justified.

In Texas you can, as long as it's nighttime. /true

Dog Face Gremlin
04-16-2024, 02:58 PM
they hung horse thieves didn't they...........

Totem Polar
04-16-2024, 03:06 PM
Which book a bing search shows as being available for free/cheap download on several legit sites...

Careful…that’s the first step on the road to conversion, brother. Lex Or should I say “Fryer Lex…”
;)

More seriously, I am not one to find anything acceptable in killing people to prevent a car theft. That stated up front, standing in the yard and yelling threats about killing the owner moves the clock just a little closer to midnight. Still room to go, but man, what a bunch of punks.

BillSWPA
04-16-2024, 04:32 PM
If I recall correctly, didn’t someone mention elsewhere on this forum that Tom Givens had stated that the only students he ever saw charged after an incident were those who left a position of safety to go confront someone?

Non-deadly force can certainly be used to protect property. If the thieves produced a gun, shooting at that point would be justified.

I would stay inside and call the police while being ready to deliver the appropriate response if more than yelling should occur.

Lex Luthier
04-16-2024, 04:53 PM
Careful…that’s the first step on the road to conversion, brother. Lex Or should I say “Fryer Lex…”
;)

More seriously, I am not one to find anything acceptable in killing people to prevent a car theft. That stated up front, standing in the yard and yelling threats about killing the owner moves the clock just a little closer to midnight. Still room to go, but man, what a bunch of punks.

I gotta ask: with brazen yawps like that, what things have they actually done and not yet been gotten nabbed for (or have been released before arraignment)?

There are some things that cannot and yet must somehow be said...

DDTSGM
04-16-2024, 05:19 PM
I gotta ask: with brazen yawps like that, what things have they actually done and not yet been gotten nabbed for (or have been released before arraignment)?

There are some things that cannot and yet must somehow be said...

I hesitate to post this, but I think you have a better sense of humor than Joe in PNG:

Seriously, one of the things that we constantly hammered into our student officers regarding use-of-force - you can't act on supposition only facts.

Clusterfrack
04-16-2024, 06:29 PM
If I recall correctly, didn’t someone mention elsewhere on this forum that Tom Givens had stated that the only students he ever saw charged after an incident were those who left a position of safety to go confront someone?

Non-deadly force can certainly be used to protect property. If the thieves produced a gun, shooting at that point would be justified.

I would stay inside and call the police while being ready to deliver the appropriate response if more than yelling should occur.

Tough scenario, and good to explore. I agree with the thug that it's not worth getting in a gunfight over a car, unless I need the car for life safety purposes (like not getting stranded in the backcountry, etc). But... I'm not going to let multiple armed individuals who have murderous intent barricade me and my family in my very non-bulletproof house. How am I to know whether he will start spraying my house with bullets? I'd be tempted to let them know 911 had been called, officers are on the way, and they need to show their hands and back away slowly. Any show of arms after their threats seems like a green light?

Lex Luthier
04-16-2024, 07:30 PM
I hesitate to post this, but I think you have a better sense of humor than Joe in PNG:

Seriously, one of the things that we constantly hammered into our student officers regarding use-of-force - you can't act on supposition only facts.

I have been all of those things within the space of a-minute-and-a-half. Is that bad?

camel
04-16-2024, 07:52 PM
Tough scenario, and good to explore. I agree with the thug that it's not worth getting in a gunfight over a car, unless I need the car for life safety purposes (like not getting stranded in the backcountry, etc). But... I'm not going to let multiple armed individuals who have murderous intent barricade me and my family in my very non-bulletproof house. How am I to know whether he will start spraying my house with bullets? I'd be tempted to let them know 911 had been called, officers are on the way, and they need to show their hands and back away slowly. Any show of arms after their threats seems like a green light?

Depends on the area actually. When I reposed vehicles I could tell you the area. Same as I can tell you the lkey problem you will have to deal with thugs trying to possess a corvette like that if the keys were not in it.people target those things.

Cookie Monster
04-16-2024, 08:35 PM
;)

Seems from the video there was a second story to the house. Probably not the best choice but I would put a bunch of slugs into the engine block of my own car from an elevated position. Fuck you. You’re not taking my car.

My vehicle has 208k and probably not a target for theft. I’d be reluctant to own a car that is attractive or attention getting. Been looking at stick shift single cab F350’s in white.

Totem Polar
04-16-2024, 08:42 PM
Seems from the video there was a second story to the house. Probably not the best choice but I would put a bunch of slugs into the engine block of my own car from an elevated position. Fuck you. You’re not taking my car.

I knew we were friends for a reason.

:D :D

CleverNickname
04-16-2024, 09:04 PM
IMO:

1) If the number of vehicles you own is the same or less than the number of parking spaces in your garage, yet you still park outside, you need to get rid of whatever's taking up all that space in your garage so you can park inside.
2) If the number of vehicles you own is greater than the number of parking spaces in your garage, you should probably park your Corvette in the garage and park something less expensive outside.
3) If your Corvette is your least expensive car, you should probably get a bigger garage.

NH Shooter
04-17-2024, 01:29 AM
Bears don't give a fuck about locked doors.

https://i.ibb.co/0yyZ39G/IMG-1084.jpg

HeavyDuty
04-17-2024, 06:56 AM
Bears don't give a fuck about locked doors.

https://i.ibb.co/0yyZ39G/IMG-1084.jpg

Yours?

NH Shooter
04-17-2024, 07:37 AM
Yours?

Yes, from a few days ago.

This has become a yearly spring ritual when a certain bear emerges from hibernation and remembers the sunflower seed my wife used to keep on the porch. No seed there this year, but I guess he decided to take a gander anyway. :-0

Totem Polar
04-17-2024, 09:23 AM

This has become a yearly spring ritual when a certain bear emerges from hibernation and remembers the sunflower seed my wife used to keep on the porch. No seed there this year, but I guess he decided to take a gander anyway. :-0

Admit it: you’ll miss that hairy oaf when you move.

;)

NH Shooter
04-17-2024, 09:55 AM
Admit it: you’ll miss that hairy oaf when you move.

;)

I won't miss having to fix the door!

Here is a photo of the neighborhood bears in our back yard, taken in 2012 from the (at the time not) wrecked porch door;

https://i.ibb.co/ccXW4Y5/bear-1.jpg

Glenn E. Meyer
04-17-2024, 11:33 AM
NH - I don't think you will be having bear problems where you are going to. Now, we have bears about 6 miles away but they rarely leave the wooded areas to visit where the houses are. The last one that was a problem in 2018 got himself shot by the law. Now we have lots of coyotes and small dogs and cats - oops! People still let their dog out at night.

I do have some slugs for my shotgun, some hardcast lead BBore for the handguns, if Smokey shows up but that's just fantasy. Plenty of other places that would be more interesting. The farms down the road have much good stuff to eat.

Folks consistently report car break-ins but say they didn't lock it up. Duh - then they posture about being lock and loaded. Tell them the law and they get all huffy-puffy.

Joe S
04-17-2024, 11:55 AM

I know this kills it, but can someone enlighten me as to NSR and FILKSF in this instance?

Glenn E. Meyer
04-17-2024, 12:06 PM
Fiercest critter at our house in TX:

Terror of our WNY area:

NH Shooter
04-17-2024, 03:02 PM
Terror of our WNY area:

The Canada geese need to stay in Canada.

Glenn E. Meyer
04-17-2024, 03:12 PM
Why there are so many geese! https://www.theatlantic.com/science/archive/2022/05/rochester-canada-geese-management/629916/

When we left WNY in 1977, there weren't any geese around. When we returned, they are all over the place. I've told this story before in a thread about whether you should intervene.

There was a couple that would walk along the boundary of the field across from us everyday in the mornings. Never caused any trouble. Then one day another couple from our side, started challenging them, calling them out very loudly. Next, they charged across the boundary and attacked the other couple. What should I do?

Suggestions - called the police, use OC, blah, blah.

I said that I did nothing - why - they were GEESE!

They took the air and had a dog fight over the neighborhood. Now we have just one couple that struts around and swims in the local nearby pond. Da winna!

ragnar_d
04-17-2024, 03:36 PM
IMO:

1) If the number of vehicles you own is the same or less than the number of parking spaces in your garage, yet you still park outside, you need to get rid of whatever's taking up all that space in your garage so you can park inside.
2) If the number of vehicles you own is greater than the number of parking spaces in your garage, you should probably park your Corvette in the garage and park something less expensive outside.
3) If your Corvette is your least expensive car, you should probably get a bigger garage.
Agreed on all points. Funny thing on point number one, we've lived in our neighborhood for some time and one time we had a friend/neighbor stop by once and she commented, "I never know when y'all are home or gone because y'all actually keep your cars in the garage," and it's definitely true. I would say that, in a neighborhood that's got ~80 houses, there are 10% or fewer households that have their vehicles in the garages.

It seems like this area seems to have a correlation to what I saw in Florida, basements seem to be a rarity compared to where I grew up so everyone stores all their junk in the garage and leaves their $20,000-$80,000 vehicles in the driveway. That probably would have been fine when this was once a quiet, established neighborhood on the very edge of the city. Now that we'regoing to be completely surrounded by development and all the "fun" that comes with it very soon, that doesn't seem to be a prudent play anymore.

Totem Polar
04-17-2024, 04:26 PM
Why there are so many geese! https://www.theatlantic.com/science/archive/2022/05/rochester-canada-geese-management/629916/

When we left WNY in 1977, there weren't any geese around. When we returned, they are all over the place. I've told this story before in a thread about whether you should intervene.

There was a couple that would walk along the boundary of the field across from us everyday in the mornings. Never caused any trouble. Then one day another couple from our side, started challenging them, calling them out very loudly. Next, they charged across the boundary and attacked the other couple. What should I do?

Suggestions - called the police, use OC, blah, blah.

I said that I did nothing - why - they were GEESE!

They took the air and had a dog fight over the neighborhood. Now we have just one couple that struts around and swims in the local nearby pond. Da winna!

I’ve told this story several times, so I’ll keep it brief: A younger version of myself (paper route age) can absolutely vouch that a set of hard maple nunchaku will drop a marauding goose like a stone.

DDTSGM
04-17-2024, 06:12 PM
I have been all of those things within the space of a-minute-and-a-half. Is that bad?

I don't think that is particularly abnormal.

DDTSGM
04-17-2024, 06:19 PM

This reminds me of the title story in a Patrick McManus book:

I tried to find a copy of the story on the internet but was unsuccessful. It's hilarious.

Chuck Whitlock
04-18-2024, 01:14 PM
In Texas you can, as long as it's nighttime. /true

Yeah, but.....you may not be arrested at the time, but the case will most likely still go before a Grand Jury. And that is completely aside from the wrongful death civil suit that will be brought by the family.

I’d be reluctant to own a car that is attractive or attention getting. Been looking at stick shift single cab F350’s in white.

A group in this area targets 4-door white pickups because they are ubiquitous.

It seems like this area seems to have a correlation to what I saw in Florida, basements seem to be a rarity compared to where I grew up...

We don't have basements here....because we are at sea level.

Dog Face Gremlin
04-18-2024, 01:30 PM
So my wife comes out of our house to walk the dog around 11:00PM on a very foggy, drizzly night.....couldn't see across the street....as soon as our dog cleared the door his nose went up and he began doing his usual...up on his hind legs growling like a tiger...next thing, 3 guys run out of or neighbors driveway across the street headed for the corner.....guess they were about to boost the neighbors car parked in the driveway........good thing my wife is strong and can hold him back....almost.

Half Moon
04-18-2024, 01:52 PM

Where there's a will, there's a way! When I was stationed at Orlando, some of the base buildings had basement levels... and continuously running pumps to keep them from flooding. One of the jobs of the roving patrol was to listen for the pump failure alarms...

Totem Polar
04-18-2024, 02:48 PM
...as soon as our dog cleared the door his nose went up and he began doing his usual...up on his hind legs growling like a tiger...next thing, 3 guys run out of or neighbors driveway across the street headed for the corner.....guess they were about to boost the neighbors car parked in the driveway........good thing my wife is strong and can hold him back....almost.

Not just a pretty face, that pup.

RoyGBiv
04-18-2024, 02:50 PM
Yeah, but.....you may not be arrested at the time, but the case will most likely still go before a Grand Jury. And that is completely aside from the wrongful death civil suit that will be brought by the family.

You can certainly get sued civilly but are protected in TX by a very brief, clearly worded immunity for justifiable self defense.

For the benefit of others that might not know.... emphasis is mine...

https://statutes.capitol.texas.gov/Docs/PE/htm/PE.9.htm#D

Sec. 9.42. DEADLY FORCE TO PROTECT PROPERTY. A person is justified in using deadly force against another to protect land or tangible, movable property:
(1) if he would be justified in using force against the other under Section 9.41 (https://statutes.capitol.texas.gov/GetStatute.aspx?Code=PE&Value=9.41); and
(2) when and to the degree he reasonably believes the deadly force is immediately necessary:

(A) to prevent the other's imminent commission of arson, burglary, robbery, aggravated robbery, theft during the nighttime, or criminal mischief during the nighttime; or
(B) to prevent the other who is fleeing immediately after committing burglary, robbery, aggravated robbery, or theft during the nighttime from escaping with the property; and

(3) he reasonably believes that:
(A) the land or property cannot be protected or recovered by any other means; or
(B) the use of force other than deadly force to protect or recover the land or property would expose the actor or another to a substantial risk of death or serious bodily injury.

and.....

https://statutes.capitol.texas.gov/Docs/CP/htm/CP.83.htm

CIVIL PRACTICE AND REMEDIES CODE

TITLE 4. LIABILITY IN TORT

CHAPTER 83. USE OF FORCE OR DEADLY FORCE

Sec. 83.001. CIVIL IMMUNITY. A defendant who uses force or deadly force that is justified under Chapter 9 (https://statutes.capitol.texas.gov/GetStatute.aspx?Code=PE&Value=9), Penal Code, is immune from civil liability for personal injury or death that results from the defendant's use of force or deadly force, as applicable.

Dog Face Gremlin
04-18-2024, 03:02 PM
Not just a pretty face, that pup.

That's the Thousand Yard stare..........

Coyotesfan97
04-18-2024, 03:06 PM

Yin and Yang 1000 yard stare

HCM
04-18-2024, 06:06 PM

A group in this area targets 4-door white pickups because they are ubiquitous.

In general we don't have basements in Texas because a basements primary function is to get the foundation below the frost line to prevent shifting and cracking during the freeze-thaw cycle. Since the ground doesn't freeze here... we don't need basements and slabs are cheaper.

Borderland
04-18-2024, 06:53 PM
You can certainly get sued civilly but are protected in TX by a very brief, clearly worded immunity for justifiable self defense.

and.....

I remember reading a story about a guy who saw two men breaking into his neighbors house. He shot both of them on his neighbors property. He was never criminally charged. That was somewhere in TX awhile ago. I would never find that news story but my memory is still pretty good.;)

Edit.

I did find it. He shot them on his property. Apparently they confronted him. 2007.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joe_Horn_shooting_controversy

GyroF-16
04-18-2024, 07:03 PM
So my wife comes out of our house to walk the dog around 11:00PM on a very foggy, drizzly night.....couldn't see across the street....as soon as our dog cleared the door his nose went up and he began doing his usual...up on his hind legs growling like a tiger...next thing, 3 guys run out of or neighbors driveway across the street headed for the corner.....guess they were about to boost the neighbors car parked in the driveway........good thing my wife is strong and can hold him back....almost.

GOOD boy!

GyroF-16
04-18-2024, 07:08 PM
Texas clearly still remembers its frontier origins, when property rights were really important.
God Bless Texas.

and.....

NH Shooter
04-19-2024, 02:40 AM
The entire country could use more Texas.

ragnar_d
04-19-2024, 07:51 AM
Oh for sure, pretty familiar with that situation after 6 years in Orlando, just shy of 3 in Miami. I'd have whinged less about the lack of a basement when I was down there if builders would have put proper sized garages on the dang houses. When we moved north I got excited about being able to have a basement but was told basements here were rare because it didn't take much digging before you got into rock. D'oh!

4RNR
04-19-2024, 10:55 AM

I have a similar situation but with a dog thats scared of everything.

2010-ish, mid July, I got to take my dog for his last walk before bed. Its around 11:30pm. The development I live in is quiet, white collar upper middle class. Serious crime is nonexistent, no violent crime so theres no reason to suspect anything. I cross the street and head to up toward the intersection in the development which is only a few hundred feet away. As the dog stops to sniff the grass we hear fireworks. The dog freaks out, hes afraid of everything especially loud noises, and he immediately starts pulling back towards the house. Weve only been outside for a min and I know Im not going to be able to get him to go now and Im going to have to wait a good amount of time for him to calm down so I can take him out again. Im kinda pissed at the whole situation. Like who the fuck sets off fireworks at midnight?!?! Like WTF dude?!?! As I head home a car come to the intersection from the side street, an early 2000s Chevy 1500, stops at the stop sign and turns left, away from me.

The next evening when I come home from work that side street is tapped off with the yellow police tape!! Odd!!! I come to find out there was a murder. Guy shot outside his home around midnight. He was shot once in the head and was out by his front door till a neighbor walking his dog in the morning saw it. What I thought was fireworks was in fact gun shots. If my dog wasnt scared of everything I was going to be turning onto that street and the incident occurred only a few houses away from the intersection.

Turned out to be a lovers triangle. One chick dating two guys, one guy got really jealous......

Dog Face Gremlin
04-19-2024, 01:58 PM
Give that dog a steak...........