PDA

View Full Version : My friend at the LNGS calls this work of art "Almost."

Baldanders
06-02-2021, 04:58 PM

Created by a young man who "found some reloads." And tried them out in dad's old manufacture Python.

Dad had a good attitude about it: "at least I have a good gunsmith!" I'm sure Ricky will handle it fine.

Wouldn't want to be that kid.

CleverNickname
06-02-2021, 06:58 PM
So what's the solution for that?

1) Drill a hole in the bullet, attach an eyelet and pull.
2) Push the bullet all the way back down the barrel out the breech.
3) Remove the barrel and push the bullet out the muzzle.
4) Some way to push the bullet out from the muzzle end without removing the barrel.
5) Something else I'm not thinking of.

Artemas2
06-02-2021, 07:13 PM
Im lost on this one. Has no one cleared a squib from a revolver?

GearFondler
06-02-2021, 07:20 PM
Glad he didn't send the next one... though it might have cleared out the squib. [emoji23]

Shoresy
06-02-2021, 07:23 PM
Glad he didn't send the next one... though it might have cleared out the squib. [emoji23]

Easiest way to Robin Hood two bullets into the same hole, right? :rolleyes::cool:

Cory
06-02-2021, 07:28 PM
So what's the solution for that?

1) Drill a hole in the bullet, attach an eyelet and pull.
2) Push the bullet all the way back down the barrel out the breech.
3) Remove the barrel and push the bullet out the muzzle.
4) Some way to push the bullet out from the muzzle end without removing the barrel.
5) Something else I'm not thinking of.

Load up a primer case? :cool:

I think some kind of T shaped handle in the cylinder end would push it out. Might have to be screw together links of cleaner rod to get in place, then a 1x3 board or something to pull on the rod and push the bullet out.

Im unqualified and spit balling.

Baldanders
06-02-2021, 07:29 PM

Kid was being cagey, evidently, about the process here.

I'm betting at least 2 wadcutters are in that barrel.

LNGS when I was growing up had a ruptured Smith jammed with 2 waddies on display. Memorable.

If if was my Python, I might spend the $30-50 to avoid a tragedy. I`ve cleared mid-barrel squibs. That looks annoying.

If it was the family GP-100, I'd be down with home surgery.

okie john
06-02-2021, 07:34 PM

He might have sent the next one. I once saw an old K-frame Smith that someone had ruined that way. The first one was a squib. The next five were not. The last one split the barrel. You could see the slugs stacked in there like peas in a pod.

You'll need to dig out the one we can see to know for sure. There's enough of the protruding slug sticking out that you could probably clamp it in a vise and pull the revolver off of it. Maybe let it sit in Kroil overnight first.

Okie John

GearFondler
06-02-2021, 07:39 PM
Sounds like we think that the first squib might have initially been mid-barrel. [emoji23]

Baldanders
06-02-2021, 07:48 PM
He might have sent the next one. I once saw an old K-frame Smith that someone had ruined that way. The first one was a squib. The next five were not. The last one split the barrel. You could see the slugs stacked in there like peas in a pod.

You'll need to dig out the one we can see to know for sure. There's enough of the protruding slug sticking out that you could probably clamp it in a vise and pull the revolver off of it. Maybe let it sit in Kroil overnight first.

Okie John

You don't forget that kind of visual evidence, do you?

Guy dealing with this has an itty bitty gun shop inside his giant gunsmith utopia. Lathe, bluing tanks, etc.

Over 30 years machining experience. Sure he will do this quite carefully.

He has "had has way" with my 17, 25-5, and 640. And he told me he would never work on a Tomcat again after his magic on it. Shame. But he loves the DA revolvers. The GP-100 will get his love before my stepdaughter gets it back.

OlongJohnson
06-02-2021, 08:13 PM
HI-POINT WARRANTY CENTER FINDS CARBINE BARREL STUFFED WITH 35 BULLETS

https://www.guns.com/news/2019/03/07/hi-point-warranty-center-finds-carbine-barrel-stuffed-with-35-bullets

22 squibs in one barrel. New record?

https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2018/03/22/22-squibs-one-barrel-new-record/

POTD: Bullet Stacking in a Heckler & Koch USC Carbine

https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2019/06/23/heckler-koch-bullet-stacking/

Baldanders
06-02-2021, 08:31 PM
HI-POINT WARRANTY CENTER FINDS CARBINE BARREL STUFFED WITH 35 BULLETS

https://www.guns.com/news/2019/03/07/hi-point-warranty-center-finds-carbine-barrel-stuffed-with-35-bullets

22 squibs in one barrel. New record?

https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2018/03/22/22-squibs-one-barrel-new-record/

POTD: Bullet Stacking in a Heckler & Koch USC Carbine

https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2019/06/23/heckler-koch-bullet-stacking/

So if you're building a case for leniency for the kid, good job!

But a Hi-point ain't an old school Python.

No calls for a caning yet?

The Hi-point pic is .....the most "amazing" thing I have seen, gun-related, since the "Less Baer" pic on P-F a while back.

Joe in PNG
06-02-2021, 08:46 PM
Well, we kind of expect young doods to do dumb stuff, and some blame goes on dad for letting son shoot the gun in the first place, so a bit of leniency is warranted.

And, I squibbed & bulged a Colt 1908 just a couple years ago myself.

TiroFijo
06-03-2021, 07:20 AM
If you can open the cylinder, just put the revolver on a vice pointing down and start pushing the bullet(s) down the bore with a hardwood rod in segments.

OlongJohnson
06-03-2021, 07:54 AM

No. Just that there are plenty of stupids.

Stupid is as stupid does.

Malamute
06-03-2021, 09:11 AM
If it ends up being bulged, I semi-recently saw some Python barrels in the $400 range online.

Baldanders
06-03-2021, 10:57 AM
Supposedly, Ricky is filming this repair. He usually has a big backlog, so it could be a while. I have my fingers crossed.

I can't judge this kid too harshly, given I put a .22lr into a bookcase at 15. :0

Only told Dad about that a few years back. We agreed it was best to keep that from my Mom.

I was very lucky that was a hit at an oblique angle. And not 2 inches over, where it would have gone through a window....

Trooper224
06-03-2021, 11:10 AM
If there's only one, a worm/screw puller can be used to pull it out. This is a common gadget used with muzzle loaders. Fortunately, it's protruding from the muzzle so it wouldn't be difficult. Driving it back down the barrel would be the absolute hardest way to accomplish the task. If there's more than one bullet the barrel's done.

paherne
06-03-2021, 11:40 AM

But a Hi-point ain't an old school Python.

No calls for a caning yet?

The Hi-point pic is .....the most "amazing" thing I have seen, gun-related, since the "Less Baer" pic on P-F a while back.

Hi-point is probably more durable and reliable. Ooops, I said it. Back in the day, none of the Python-carrying dudes i worked with were gunfighter-types. Polished cowboy boots and ridiculous mustaches, looked good with a bling Python in uniform, but not so good as a duty weapon.

Baldanders
06-03-2021, 12:55 PM
Barrel is "jammed full" of bullets.

Guy has enough $$ that he won't settle for a used barrel, he seems willing to start over with another used original Python.

Ricky could deal with it, but he's not what you'd call a discount gunsmith.

I'm hoping Ricky finds a Python to sell him, and obtains this one for himself! My boy (his stepson) would be willing to put in the work to clear it. And I would get to play with it.

Jim Watson
06-03-2021, 02:38 PM
Back in the 1970s there was a guy who had a handgun barrel relining business. Seemed to be all he did.
For bulged barrels, I gather he had a roller press to level out the outside, then reline it. Price a lot less than a new barrel.

Trooper224
06-03-2021, 02:59 PM
Hi-point is probably more durable and reliable. Ooops, I said it. Back in the day, none of the Python-carrying dudes i worked with were gunfighter-types. Polished cowboy boots and ridiculous mustaches, looked good with a bling Python in uniform, but not so good as a duty weapon.

That was my experience as well. A Python was my ultimate grail revolver, until I bought one.

RevolverRob
06-03-2021, 03:04 PM
They all copper jacketed? If they're lead, why not heat up the barrel and pour the slag out? I mean it's potentially trashed. But lead melts at 622-degrees and that's maybe enough to screw up the temper on a hardened barrel, but it could potentially be re-tempered in a heat treat oven.

OlongJohnson
06-03-2021, 03:21 PM
622F shouldn't anneal steel.

TiroFijo
06-03-2021, 03:31 PM
They all copper jacketed? If they're lead, why not heat up the barrel and pour the slag out? I mean it's potentially trashed. But lead melts at 622-degrees and that's maybe enough to screw up the temper on a hardened barrel, but it could potentially be re-tempered in a heat treat oven.

Stuck lead bullets glide eaaasily down the barrel... I would never heat up the gun to get rid of them

Jacketed ones, it depends...

I would use the method with the wooden rod, IME works well

Baldanders
06-03-2021, 05:07 PM

Dunno, looks like a plated wadcutter.

After some more information, the real question is why the Python owner had PURCHASED these sketchy reloads when he has the $$$ to pick up another Python and not stress about it.

My LNGS has looked into manufacturing ammo (worse paperwork than a class 3, which they are pursuing), so they were able to explain the legal issues to him quite thoroughly.

LNGS seems inappropriate for my smith. Pretty soon he's going to be the local AR assembler.

Baldanders
06-03-2021, 05:25 PM
That was my experience as well. A Python was my ultimate grail revolver, until I bought one.

You didn't like it?

Thanks brother I'm cured!

Well, that and seeing this derp.

I have shot a Python once, but I was 15 and had no taste. But I was surprised, because I was expecting something much more impressive than a well-worn Highway Patrolman from the rental range. It didn't seem any better to 15 year old me.

Ricky is contemptuous of current Pythons after doing a trigger job on one.

Of course, his logic is "give me a Ruger/Smith and I can beat that trigger. And you will spend much less money."

Which is probably true.

Trooper224
06-03-2021, 06:42 PM
You didn't like it?

Thanks brother I'm cured!

Well, that and seeing this derp.

I have shot a Python once, but I was 15 and had no taste. But I was surprised, because I was expecting something much more impressive than a well-worn Highway Patrolman from the rental range. It didn't seem any better to 15 year old me.

Ricky is contemptuous of current Pythons after doing a trigger job on one.

Of course, his logic is "give me a Ruger/Smith and I can beat that trigger. And you will spend much less money."

Which is probably true.

It wasn't that I was disappointed as much as I was underwhelmed. I'd built up that Python mystique in my mind only to find it was pretty much just another sixgun. It was beautiful to look at and I only paid $350 for it in the early 90's when all revolvers were supposedly dead weight, so at least I didn't have a mint into it. It just didn't do anything my S&W M27 didn't and the latter needed less service, was cheaper to service when it did and had a better DA pull. I'd like to have another one just for reasons, but not at the current price point. If anything that gun put me in the S&W camp in terms of service revolvers and cured me of my blind Colt fanboyism.

Baldanders
06-03-2021, 10:29 PM
It wasn't that I was disappointed as much as I was underwhelmed. I'd built up that Python mystique in my mind only to find it was pretty much just another sixgun. It was beautiful to look at and I only paid $350 for it in the early 90's when all revolvers were supposedly dead weight, so at least I didn't have a mint into it. It just didn't do anything my S&W M27 didn't and the latter needed less service, was cheaper to service when it did and had a better DA pull. I'd like to have another one just for reasons, but not at the current price point. If anything that gun put me in the S&W camp in terms of service revolvers and cured me of my blind Colt fanboyism.

Being the pure DA shooter I am, poorer DA is a fantasy killer. But you have renewed my M27 desires. 4"

Oh those gray, worn N-frames of youth. As Ms. Mitchell said "you don’t know what you've got till it's gone."

I am quite happy with my Trooper Mk.III as a pretty pony gun. I just need to get around to replacing the mainspring, which was designed for steroid abusers. And score much Remington .38 125 sjhp, which seems to be the only load that it likes. Hope the bullet is available for handloading again soon.

Hemiram
06-03-2021, 11:17 PM
My 4th or 5th gun was a 6" blued Python, and when I sold it about a year later, I didn't miss it a bit.
But the S&W 6" 28-2 I bought just before the Python, I missed that from the second I sold it. I wanted another one for a very long time.
I finally got another 6" 28-2, and then I bought 2 4" ones. I don't want a Python again, old or new, unless it's just stupid cheap, so I could flip it.

Duelist
06-04-2021, 01:53 AM
My 4th or 5th gun was a 6" blued Python, and when I sold it about a year later, I didn't miss it a bit.
But the S&W 6" 28-2 I bought just before the Python, I missed that from the second I sold it. I wanted another one for a very long time.
I finally got another 6" 28-2, and then I bought 2 4" ones. I don't want a Python again, old or new, unless it's just stupid cheap, so I could flip it.

The Python I shot was nice, but not worth the $ to me vs. the 28-2 I have. Over 2.5x the money for not better performance? Yeah, I'll stick with the S&W.

TiroFijo
06-04-2021, 07:34 AM
If there's only one, a worm/screw puller can be used to pull it out. This is a common gadget used with muzzle loaders. Fortunately, it's protruding from the muzzle so it wouldn't be difficult. Driving it back down the barrel would be the absolute hardest way to accomplish the task. If there's more than one bullet the barrel's done.

The method I use is to cut wooden rods in 1.5" pieces and drop them in the barrel from the rear (entering the forcing cone) with the barrel pointing down and clamped in a padded vice. When you get to the obstruction, use a sturdy piece of wood to bridge the frame, you hold it with your hand on one side and tap with a mallet on the other side, as close as possible to the frame. You may have to cut to size the last dowel for the bridge piece to fit.

In this case the bullet(s) are near the muzzle and it should be easy to tap them out.

It can also be done (very carefully) with a drill or a stuck bullet puller, but this tapping method is faster and you avoid potential damage to the rifling.

Jim Watson
06-04-2021, 08:12 AM
I might do that with pieces of brass, but I have seen too many reports of stuck bullets now backed up by packed wood splinters to ever put a stick down a gun barrel.

And what of the allegedly tapered bore of the Python? Wouldn't that make it easier to drive the obstruction back from the muzzle?

TiroFijo
06-04-2021, 09:26 AM
I might do that with pieces of brass, but I have seen too many reports of stuck bullets now backed up by packed wood splinters to ever put a stick down a gun barrel.

And what of the allegedly tapered bore of the Python? Wouldn't that make it easier to drive the obstruction back from the muzzle?

Brass would be perfect. But wood also works, I've done it. Use hard wood dowels, and they don't need to fit tight but be undersize by about 0.04+" from the rifling. And of course excersice caution, you want to tap the bullets out, not hammer them with full force.

If this does not work, move on to Plan B.

The "tapered bore", if it exists (myth?) should be gradual and only a couple thousands, doesn't make much difference over an inch or so of barrel.

Ben34
06-04-2021, 09:38 AM
It really a nice piece of art .

Jim Watson
06-04-2021, 09:47 AM
I know hardwood dowels have worked for many, but they have failed for enough that I use and recommend brass. Steel works, too, best taped or heat shrink covered to keep from peening the rifling.

RevolverRob
06-04-2021, 11:54 AM
Baldanders - Hook me up man. Pass on the memo to the owner, I'll give him 50 bucks and a six pack for his mucked up Python.

Baldanders
06-05-2021, 11:23 AM
Baldanders - Hook me up man. Pass on the memo to the owner, I'll give him 50 bucks and a six pack for his mucked up Python.

Well, looks like the lockwork is trashed too. 😑

I think my smith will probably hold onto it for parts.

They got a "filled" SP-101 the next day. Wonder if that guy's "kid found some reloads?"

Lots of facepalming at the LNGS this week.

I'm not a member of the Thin Blue Line club, but I'm starting to doubt the overall veracity of the original story here. Must be my teacher's instincts.

No repair video, but my boy has made a "PSA" on squibs. Not posted yet.

I was defending North Carolina vs Florida in a recent thread. Bad timing there.

My further feelings are going into a piece titled "WorldBook Willie and the Mysterious Case of the Revolver-Wrecking Ammo." It features a sleuth inspired by our willie, and his loyal roadrunners. But that's a bit for the Romper Room. I'm about halfway through writing it.