PDA

View Full Version : Your Ideal Mix of Carbines. What Are They?

Sanch
05-31-2021, 12:56 AM
Loose conversation starter. If you have no money restrictions, what’s your ideal mix of carbines and why?

For me, offhand, and keep in mind I don’t compete and this is LARPing fantasy-based for my list:

1) Primary CQB /Urban Combat gun. Somewhere between 10.5” and 14.5” barrel. Unsure on barrel profile. IR/Slaved Vis laser. SF Vampire Scout 6V. Mini-SF silencer. Quad pic rail for durability. In my fantasy there might not be an armorer to fix a bent rail. Aimpoint T2

2) “The Road” TSHTF gun. To be carried during LARPing long-term post zombie world. Not meant to get into fire fights if possible. Kind of like a PDW that could work as a CQB gun if needed. 12.5” lightweight barrel, SF 3V scout Vampire. No lasers. If used with NODs, passive IR only. Geissele MK16 rail for lightness. Aimpoint T2

3) “hush puppy” gun. 300 blackout in 8” barrel with silencer. Light weight 7” MLOK rail. Aimpoint T2. If the LARPing becomes “I’m never coming home” then might take just the upper with me and a handful of preloaded mags. Probably not to carry on foot, but if a vehicle is available.

4) 9mm carbine. For when the 5.56 runs out since I keep 9mm and 5.56 as my main two stockpiles. An MP5 would be great. Seems reliable and heavy. Not looking for this carbine to be super compact and light. It’s meant to be if X period of time into the zombie invasion passed, and the 5.56 is gone, and we have 9mm, then grab this. So it needs to be as reliable and durable as possible. The opposite of modern reality where we want light compact carbines made of polymers to hide in backpacks. Semi-auto SP5 would be fine, too. Wouldn’t be using full auto if ammo limited anyway.

5) DMR gun. 5.56” don’t know much about these maybe 16” to 20” barrel with an LVPO. Can share ammo with others on your fantasy dream team who have M4 type rigs.

6) 308 AR10. Don’t know much about these but maybe a longer-range DMR or to punch cover. Ignorant but if money is not limited, seems good.

This is my list based on LARPing fantasies. For home defense, anything with a red dot is fine. The training is what matters. I don’t compete so no opinion there.

What’s your list look like? If you’re not a filthy LARPer, then discuss your ideal mix based on whatever rationale or purpose you have.

TCB
05-31-2021, 01:13 AM
Phased Plasma rifle in the 40 watt range & Lightning Bolt! Lightning Bolt! Lightning Bolt! Lightning Bolt!

Caballoflaco
05-31-2021, 07:18 AM
An arms room with hundreds of identically set up 6920’s with aimpoint, sling, and lights to arm the troops so they can raid and stuff while I’m busy with things like napping and making important philosophical observations about the ability of snails to crawl along the edge of a straight razor.

fatdog
05-31-2021, 07:27 AM
to arm the troops so they can raid and stuff while I’m busy

So similar to my plan, my answer for all this gun stuff and ammo stockpiled around here is that after the great collapse, I plan to become a minor despot in this end of the county.

Nephrology
05-31-2021, 07:54 AM
Definitely more than one of these

https://i.imgur.com/q302myR.jpg

MistWolf
05-31-2021, 09:18 AM
Definitely more than one of these

https://i.imgur.com/q302myR.jpg

You'll put your- Oh, never mind...

M2CattleCo
05-31-2021, 10:03 AM
An arms room with hundreds of identically set up 6920’s with aimpoint, sling, and lights to arm the troops so they can raid and stuff while I’m busy with things like napping and making important philosophical observations about the ability of snails to crawl along the edge of a straight razor.

No way you could get in a quality nap with the earth shaking violence that is the firing cycle of a 16” carbine gas AR in 5.56. If your troops were even able to withstand shouldering, much less firing such an abusive weapon, their physical appearance would be enough to deter the most grizzled war hardened opponents.

Malamute
05-31-2021, 10:19 AM
Most of my ideal carbine aspirations start with "Winchester" and end with 1866, 1873, 1886, 1892, 1894, and 1895, then I can transition to Trapdoor Springfields in 50-70 and 45-70, then Sharps. Im also thinking on a franken 1903 Springfield "carbine" built to resemble the Krag carbine with 22" barrel and using a Lyman receiver sight.

The later Winchester 94 carbines in so-called "trapper" type with 16" barrel and wearing a leupold 1-4x scope makes a pretty handy and useful general purpose gun.

OlongJohnson
05-31-2021, 11:33 AM
Definitely an 1894/22M Trapper. Something in .44 Magnum.

Maybe a RARR in 7.62 Commie.

RevolverRob
05-31-2021, 12:12 PM
If hunting regulations allow it, then a 9mm submachine gun with a red dot and the ability to accept a suppressor is all I need. Add the suppressor and it's good to go. I know lots of folks are all about that MP5 (for good reason), but I'd prefer a Sterling. Sterling mags are ridiculously reliable and durable and overall it's only slightly more complicated than a shovel to use. The folding stock works fine and allows the whole thing to be folded up into a package more compact than an MP5.

In real life you typically cannot hunt with a machine gun or with a gun chambered in a pistol caliber. So, add in a .300 Blackout rifle/pistol/SBR of some variety and you're pretty much good to go.

Sharkbite
05-31-2021, 02:11 PM
Phased Plasma rifle in the 40 watt range & Lightning Bolt! Lightning Bolt! Lightning Bolt! Lightning Bolt!

...12 guage auto loddah, long schlide 45 wid lazer sighting, fully automatic UZI....

TCB
05-31-2021, 02:30 PM
Or some sort of chopped lever action carbine with an oversized ring so you can spin load it one handed while on a motorcycle...

Duelist
05-31-2021, 02:33 PM
If hunting regulations allow it, then a 9mm submachine gun with a red dot and the ability to accept a suppressor is all I need. Add the suppressor and it's good to go. I know lots of folks are all about that MP5 (for good reason), but I'd prefer a Sterling. Sterling mags are ridiculously reliable and durable and overall it's only slightly more complicated than a shovel to use. The folding stock works fine and allows the whole thing to be folded up into a package more compact than an MP5.

In real life you typically cannot hunt with a machine gun or with a gun chambered in a pistol caliber. So, add in a .300 Blackout rifle/pistol/SBR of some variety and you're pretty much good to go.

16” AR upper in 5.56 and another in 6.8SPC II, Marlin 1894 in .357, and a .22LR - many will work, such as the ubiquitous Marlin 60 and Ruger 10/22, or a 15/22, or dedicated AR upper. 20” AR in 5.56 because reasons.

A .300 Blackout pistol with a suppressor would not be thrown away, but I’ll not likely seek one out, either.

Norville
05-31-2021, 03:04 PM
I’m not sure if this is a serious topic, but the one you have. Plus a spare, or many spares. A 300 BO pistol is super handy, see last year’s Rattler and PDW threads.

Can we go back to 9mm vs. 45 ACP now?

GearFondler
05-31-2021, 03:45 PM
Can we go back to 9mm vs. 45 ACP now?

Ya know, they really could end the whole debate by just coming up with something right in the middle, say around 40 cal, and call it done.

Casual Friday
05-31-2021, 04:19 PM

I hate to once again shit in your corn flakes about your upcoming move to WA, but hunting rifles are required to have a 16" barrel and we can't, legally, own full autos.

pastaslinger
05-31-2021, 04:48 PM
If money was infinite like mentioned in the OP then I would just have numerous carbines of all sizes, because why not. I think a more interesting question is what would the ideal be if you could only have one for everything, and my answer would probably be:
-14.5" or 16" mid-length using a lightweight profile like the BCM BFH ELW or the Criterion CORE
-handguard as long as possible and skinny with mlok like the BCM MCMR or Centurion CMR
-high quality bcg, my current favorite is the Microbest one made to SOLGW spec)
-radian raptor or Geissele sch charging handle
-A5 buffer tube assembly with A5H2
-B5 sopmod stock or Magpul CTR
-Larue MBT2S
-Radian talon Ambi safety

I'm not sure what muzzle device I would want, it would depend where I am I suppose, but I would probably lean towards a hybrid flash-comp, maybe like the FCD 6315.

For sighting, I would go with a LPVO or MPVO, such as from the Vortex Viper PST II series, plus an offset red dot.

Sling of choice would be a VTAC wide padded sling with metal hardware.

Light would either be a modlite plhv2 or cloud rein (probably the rein micro to keep weight down).

Trooper224
05-31-2021, 05:38 PM
My ideal mix of carbines?

M1 carbine, leaf sight, no bayonet lug.
M1 carbine, bayonet lug and adjustable rear sight.
M1A1 carbine with folding stock.
M2 select fire carbine................

CleverNickname
05-31-2021, 06:33 PM
Loose conversation starter. If you have no money restrictions, what’s your ideal mix of carbines and why?
If I have no money restrictions, then my first step would be starting up a C2 SOT for some post-samples.

Joe in PNG
05-31-2021, 06:34 PM
Let's see....

-CZ 527 in 300BO
-Colt XM177 selective fire
-Lever action 16" something in .32-20win
-Swede m/1894 6.5*55 carbine

RevolverRob
05-31-2021, 06:38 PM
I hate to once again shit in your corn flakes about your upcoming move to WA, but hunting rifles are required to have a 16" barrel and we can't, legally, own full autos.

Yes, but I'm not going to be living there that long (~3 years).

And I have a Marlin 336 and 20-gauge Mossberg bolt action as hunting guns.

Darth_Uno
05-31-2021, 07:19 PM
In beautiful Illinois we can’t have suppressors, and I don’t hunt, so I don’t see the need for anything other than 5.56.

I currently have 9 AR’s but I’d honestly be perfectly fine with my 11.5” BCM, a close enough copy (two is one and all that) and a 16” scoped AR just in case I need a bit more precision. Which, to be honest, I only break out when we’re shooting tannerite.

jrbway
05-31-2021, 08:19 PM
.357 Lever Gun
12.5” AR-pattern carbine with a decent LPVO and a SF mini-can
16”-18” AR-pattern with a mid-power scope
A wine cellar full of Italian and Spanish reds.
The cellar is inside the bunker.

pangloss
05-31-2021, 08:20 PM
Put me down for a Ruger No. 3 in some unusual-ish caliber--maybe .250 Savage.

As for ARs, I'd want 11.5, 14.5, and 16 inch guns in 5.56. I would also want a 16 or 18 inch fun in 6mm ARC. All with duplicates.

And while I'm at it, give me a T/C Encore in 6mm ARC too, or maybe 6mm Creedmore. This last carbine would be for the children to step up from their .22 LRs.

Sent from my moto e5 cruise using Tapatalk

FNFAN
05-31-2021, 08:33 PM
Colt 6920
Steyr .243
Marlin lever .357
Marlin lever .22
Browning lever .22

mrozowjj
05-31-2021, 10:11 PM
This post reminds me of the kind of stuff some of us used to talk about on the Day By Day zombie apocalypse forum like 18 years ago.

I have a Colt CCU with a 1-8x on it that I consider my do it all gun. It's what I would use if I got back into 3 gun again, or in theory what I would use if the shit really hit the fan. It is my one
"super-serial" carbine. Everything else I have is for messing around, having fun, or built with specific little bits of things meant for strange competitions. Like my stupid heavy 22LR gun meant for NRL22.

As much as I like 9mm in a pistol I don't see a point for it in a carbine for a true self defense or SHTF scenario. I have some but they are for fun or the PCC div in USPSA. I guess there is some value in using the same magazines and ammo as your side arm but loaded 9mm weighs almost the same as loaded 5.56 so from a weight perspective a Pmag with 30 rounds is going to weight the same as a big stick Glock mag so given the option of having 150 rounds of 556 on me or 150 rounds of 9mm I'll take the 5.56 mm.

Last summer while watching a TFB TV video with Clint Smith where he made some remark about how everyone likes to put tons of shit on their gun but if they had to hump it up a mountain they'd be taking shit off their gun ASAP. That made me think well I wonder how like I can get an AR without getting to super weird potentially fragile parts like alunium BCGs and still make it usable out to 200 yards which is honestly about as far as I'd expect to engage a target if the world ended. If you're past 200 yards I'm going to leave you alone as long as you stay that far away.

So I built a AR with a 16" barrel that weighs 5lbs 5oz with a red dot and back up sights. The only potentially fragile part is the magnesum/aluminium hybrid handguard. Everything else is really solid. If the shit really hit the fan and I had to carry a gun all day this is probably the gun I'd use. Would I like a slightly shorter barrel? Sure for making it kind of handy in close quarters.

Odin Bravo One
06-10-2021, 08:09 PM

Something like this:

Why?

Why not?

Or maybe this:

Of course, these got the job done quite well in their day……I probably wouldn’t feel “outgunned” with these:

Totem Polar
06-10-2021, 09:02 PM
Something like this:

Why?

Why not?

I think I’m getting an erection.

Nah, scratch that; I’m pretty sure I just came down my leg.

- -
For myself, all I need for carbines is the .300 DW PDW I have, a Henry sidegate lever in .44mag, and a ParaFAL.

That, and an ass ton of .22s. I’m GTG except for that ParaFAL. That might take a while. I’d buy a SOCOM Springfield or Tanker, too, so long as we are spending fantasy money, but I don’t *need* a Springer .308.

Waitwaitwaitaminute... I’ve got it: I’d also collect Sako Bavarian Carbines too. Starting with .243 and .308...

https://enoughgun.com/forum/download/file.php?id=711&sid=9669d0d9b2d8ac9c880ec6bcd1f397a3

rcbusmc24
06-10-2021, 09:08 PM
AR's in 5.56.... I'm good with what I've got, though it looks like I might need to SBR a couple of them that are still pistols as there is no way they are gonna stay under the new point limit....

OlongJohnson
06-10-2021, 09:46 PM
Waitwaitwaitaminute... I’ve got it: I’d also collect Sako Bavarian Carbines too. Starting with .243 and .308...

https://enoughgun.com/forum/download/file.php?id=711&sid=9669d0d9b2d8ac9c880ec6bcd1f397a3

Gotta go metric with that one. It's disappointing they don't show 7x57 or 7x64 on the website, but at least have enough self respect to start off with a 6.5x55 Swedish. :cool: You can always find a Ruger RSI in 7x57 .275 Rigby, eventually.

Oldherkpilot
06-11-2021, 06:21 AM

Don't forget about re-populating the earth. That will fall to you!😁