PDA

View Full Version : New S&W M&P22

Up1911Fan
07-19-2012, 01:01 PM
My dealer just called and said it was in. I switched from Glocks to M&Ps about a month and half back and have been waiting on one of these. Plan on taking it out this weekend. I'll get some pic's/opinions up after I get some range time in.

bdcheung
07-19-2012, 02:01 PM
As an FYI, my M&P22 hates American Eagle ammo.

Federal bulk pack works best for my gun.

Little Creek
07-19-2012, 02:09 PM
I have one. It came with a twelve shot magazine. I bought two more magazines direct from S&W. They were expensive. It runs great on high velocity 40 grain RN. I like it a lot.

Up1911Fan
07-19-2012, 02:22 PM
Good to hear. I've got a lot of Rem Golden Bullets on the shelf but gonna stop by the store and get a 50 round box of everything that comes in bulk packs to try out.

daltona117
07-19-2012, 07:46 PM
I've got one as well. Shot Blazer, American Eagle, CCI Mini-Mags, and CCI Velocitor. Seemed to like the Velocitor the best, but the Blazer seems to work well too. I have a bit of an issue with hangups on the second shot off of a fully loaded 12-rd mag, but hopefully that will go away as the mag gets broken in. Nice pistol though, I really like it.

Up1911Fan
07-20-2012, 05:25 PM
Put 200 rounds through it today. 100 CCI Mini Mag's and 100 Remington Golden Bullets. Untill thing's settle in this is an 11 round mag. Absolutely wouldn't feed the first round if loaded with 12, didn't matter which load or if attempting to load using the slide release (prefered) or sling shotting it. The thumb safety doesn't allow it to fit my CCC Looper, so it has to go as practicing my drawstoke is important to me. The sights suck, need to replace them. I'm gonna try fitting a factory M&P rear with the white dots blacked out and a fiber optic front. Fit and finish was good, gun shot well and fed/fired every round as long as only 11 were loaded in the mag. If I loaded 11, chambered a round then topped of the mag with two more it ran fine. Trigger wasn't bad and more than managable.

Up1911Fan
07-21-2012, 10:27 PM
Ran another 176 of the Rem Golden Bullet's today with no issues aside from the mag not feeding the first round when loaded with 12. I removed the left side safety lever, allowing the gun to fit my Looper. Left the right side lever alone in case it ever engages somehow.

Edit: Shot another 159 rounds today. Bulk pack 36gr Federal Champion. Had 6 instances where the ammo failed to fully cycle the gun/eject the fired brass. Probably gonna be sticking with the Rem Golden Bullet's for the future.

Tamara
07-23-2012, 05:03 AM
The thumb safety doesn't allow it to fit my CCC Looper, so it has to go as practicing my drawstoke is important to me.

Isn't this gun a hammer-fired single action under the skin? I'd be leery of an AIWB SA w/no manual safety, even if it was "just" a deuce-deuce.

Up1911Fan
07-23-2012, 11:36 AM
Yes it's hammer fired, however the pull is every but as long/heavy as my M&P9. I left the right side lever on which I can engage when holstering, disengage once holstered. FWIW, the holster is a Looper, not a Shaggy, standard IWB at 3:30.

Simms65
07-23-2012, 02:24 PM
I pulled both the levers off mine. It isn't any easier to fire than a regular no safety M&P. Mine probably had ~1100 rounds through it this weekend. All but ~50 were with a SWR Spectre II mounted to the front.

It's a really great little pistol and I am very happy with it. If only the @##%#$ mags weren't so expensive...

Up1911Fan
07-23-2012, 10:09 PM
Agreed. I'm liking mine more and more, but $30 a mag for a .22 sucks.

Tamara
07-24-2012, 04:45 AM
Yes it's hammer fired, however the pull is every but as long/heavy as my M&P9. I left the right side lever on which I can engage when holstering, disengage once holstered. FWIW, the holster is a Looper, not a Shaggy, standard IWB at 3:30.

Ah, okay.

I'm definitely interested in one of these, so I'm reading the reports from high-mileage users with bated breath. (My 22/45 has lived in my range bag for years, only emerging at the range or the cleaning table; it probably doesn't ever get shot less than 300 rounds at a lick, and gets cleaned quarterly whether it needs it or not, so that's the kind of abuse cycle the M&P deuce-deuce up with which will have to put. ;) )

Simms65
07-24-2012, 01:50 PM
Tam,

I've cleaned my M&P22 3 times since I picked it up. Each time I cleaned it has been because it's gotten so sludgy that I needed to clean off the frame and slide rails. It sounded like sandpaper, but kept working as long as I gave the rails a squirt of CLP now and again. It has had ~3k round between cleanings.

My MKIII on the other hand, it has gone upwards of 23,000 rounds between cleanings. I really should change the springs on that pistol sometime, but it just keeps working. I keep procrastinating because I want to pick up a MKII hammer bushing to do away with the mag disconnect and haven't done it yet.

Back to the M&P... The only consistent issue I've seen is every few hundred rounds it will fail to feed after firing the first round from a mag. I've made it happen with various random numbers of rounds loaded in it, and it never does that aside from the first round. When other people have shot it I have noticed once it is dirty it becomes fairly vulnerable to limp wristing.

I have to say that as much as I love my MKIII I've been shooting my M&P 22 just as much and some days more since I got it. Now that I have a dedicated 22 suppressor, the lighter M&P makes for a handier package, especially when introducing new shooters to the sport.

iakdrago
07-24-2012, 05:17 PM
Ah, okay.

I'm definitely interested in one of these, so I'm reading the reports from high-mileage users with bated breath. (My 22/45 has lived in my range bag for years, only emerging at the range or the cleaning table; it probably doesn't ever get shot less than 300 rounds at a lick, and gets cleaned quarterly whether it needs it or not, so that's the kind of abuse cycle the M&P deuce-deuce up with which will have to put. ;) )

Tam,

My experience mirrors that of Simms. The gun runs... and runs... and runs... i've also fired approximately 12k rounds through mine, with sparse cleaning in between. Sometimes you go through firing a value pack of 550 rounds and not have a single failure. 1-2 failures per brick is usually the norm though, which i generally attribute to the ammo (split casings, bad primers, and other quality control issues). The gun does not run well with the american eagle though.

I can't wait to get mine back from S&W so that i can continue to enjoy it. The gun has survived everything, except my cat and my overzealous stupidity.

Simms65
07-27-2012, 08:53 AM
Interestingly enough mine runs just fine on 40 gr rn American Eagle ammo, both suppressed and not. That just goes to show yet again how strange and finicky 22 pistols can be.

Sal Picante
07-27-2012, 11:41 AM
Rogers just shifted to them for the basic classes - we ran ~1500 rounds through one of the used guns without a hitch!

Wow it was reliable!