PDA

View Full Version : Gift for Army Basic graduation?

Noleshooter
07-18-2012, 07:20 PM
My cousin (we're very close) is graduating from Basic Training in September and I want to get him something nice. He's under 21 so I could gift him one of my pistols, but that seems a bit unoriginal.

He's going to be a 91B (wheeled Mechanic) so he wouldn't need anything tacticool. I didn't serve so I'm looking for some input from those of you who have recently. Is there something that would be really helpful for him as a new soldier? I was thinking a good multi-tool, some Oakleys or some quality boots???

Input appreciated.

Al T.
07-18-2012, 07:51 PM
BRB. Sort of busy and have some thoughts here...

LittleLebowski
07-18-2012, 07:51 PM
Tacticool or not, a good shooting class would be great.

Wes Peart
07-18-2012, 08:03 PM
Nice watch, knife or gun... What's your budget?

LittleLebowski
07-18-2012, 08:15 PM
Nice watch, knife or gun... What's your budget?

I'd wait until he's settled down. He can't take the gun where he goes for MOS school and the knife/watch is just asking to be stolen.

Shooting class.

Shokr21
07-18-2012, 08:27 PM
When I graduated from Basic and AIT my two uncles (both still serving) gifted me a suunto vector and a pair of Oakley flak jackets. Meant a lot to me, and those are two things that I wear every time I put on a uniform.

Other ideas would be a good folding knife, SOG multitool (far better imo than leatherman/gerber), or a good belt.

Basically simple items that aren't turbo expensive and are still severely useful.

SGT_Calle
07-19-2012, 05:48 AM
I'll vote good knife or multi-tool. He will most likely be issued a brand new gerber as part of his kit before any sort of deployment but there are better tools out there. I'm also a big fan of automatic Benchmade knives, but not a good idea to have while attending AIT.

JM Campbell
07-19-2012, 06:06 AM
I'll third LL's.......F2S 2 day carbine course with required ammo. Go with him and give him a great memory and a better knowledge that might save his life and buddies one day.

S Jenks
07-19-2012, 06:12 AM
I'm in the same boat as the OP- my brother graduates USCG boot on August 10. He is going for Maritime LE but will have a wait before a training slot opens for him. I was leaning towards a Benchmade as I've carried the same Griptilian on duty for 8 years without issue, but am open to other suggestions. I sent him a G-Shock last month so he already has a functioning watch.

As an aside, he qualified last week with the P229DAK on a simulator, scored 142 out of 150. Two points shy of Expert and top shooter in his company. Not bad for a 17 y/o who had a whopping two hours of range instruction before he left! Brought a tear to my eye...

LittleLebowski
07-19-2012, 07:07 AM
He doesn't need gear. He will be issued what he needs and the likelihood of said nice gear being stolen while in MOS school is high.

Send him to a pistol or carbine class. I'll second the F2S recommendation.

JHC
07-19-2012, 08:14 AM
I'll vote good knife or multi-tool. He will most likely be issued a brand new gerber as part of his kit before any sort of deployment but there are better tools out there. I'm also a big fan of automatic Benchmade knives, but not a good idea to have while attending AIT.

This. One of our family's friends enlisted USMC out of high school. Just an awsome kid who dropped out of an Olympic development soccer program incl touring Europe to play; in order to avoid aggravating injuries that might interfere with going Marine.

But, we gave him a nice multi-tool and every time we see him or he sees my son these last two years he reiterates how valuable that thing is; uses it almost every day.

Al T.
07-19-2012, 09:59 AM
If you do go the knife/multi tool route, wait till he's through training and in a unit. I also like to get gifts like that engraved with initials or dates.

Kyle Reese
07-19-2012, 10:08 AM
The newly minted soldier in question would greatly benefit from a class from F2S or another reputable trainer. The things he'll learn can pay dividends downrange. It doesn't matter what his MOS is going to be. He'll need to be proficient with his assigned weapon. (http://www.foxnews.com/world/2012/06/01/nato-afghan-insurgents-attack-coalition-base/)

He can buy the multi-tool / etc on his own. They're plentiful on most base exchanges or online.

Please thank the young man for his service and I wish him the best.

EMC
07-19-2012, 10:08 AM
If you go the multi-tool route, the Leatherman Wave multi-tool is a really nice one. I still have an old one and use it all the time. The military issue Gerber tool just sits in my car as a backup. They pinch your hand.

Noleshooter
07-19-2012, 10:49 AM
Thanks everyone for the great suggestions. Budget is a few hundred dollars, but if I find something really good we'll make it happen.

Of course my first thought was something to do with guns (a quality pistol or some training) but my concern was about just how much benefit he would gain from it being a mechanic. Thanks for the perspective from the link Fred.

Thanks for the heads up about AIT school. It's pretty sad that the threat of getting your stuff stolen by fellow soldiers is that high.

I know a quality trainer nearbye and I think I can make something happen. A good watch or some quality eyewear is still looking very useful. I'm definitely looking for something that would be incredibly useful that he may not be able to get at a base or that he may not know he needs until he's out of country.

Thanks again and I welcome more suggestions.

SeriousStudent
07-22-2012, 01:12 AM

Of course my first thought was something to do with guns (a quality pistol or some training) but my concern was about just how much benefit he would gain from it being a mechanic.

The first time I jumped out of an airplane, I thought about how just how useful those lessons about parachutes were.

After I went SCUBA diving, I remarked to myself exactly how handy all that PADI training had been.

You don't need to get training with parachutes or SCUBA gear to go jumping or diving. You need training to go jumping or diving TWICE.

Weapons skills are not really needed to be a mechanic. They are, however, awfully handy skills to have whilst a mechanic in the military. He does not NEED weapons skills, but they do help one in making it to retirement age.

Trust me, it's wonderful to get old enough to annoy your kids. :D

Al T.
07-22-2012, 08:22 AM
how much benefit he would gain from it being a mechanic

Actually, he would gain more than an infantryman. Being "just a mechanic" probably means he will not get as good as or as much training as the grunts at FT Benning. So, if he gets a good carbine class, he gets training he can't get elsewhere.

Kyle Reese
07-22-2012, 11:01 AM
Actually, he would gain more than an infantryman. Being "just a mechanic" probably means he will not get as good as or as much training as the grunts at FT Benning. So, if he gets a good carbine class, he gets training he can't get elsewhere.

I agree. The enemy here doesn't differentiate from infantry and non infantry when they attack.

SouthNarc
07-22-2012, 03:15 PM
I think you should direct those funds towards lap dances and beer.

orionz06
07-22-2012, 03:22 PM
I got a lot more than just "how to shoot" out of my first quality instruction.