PDA

View Full Version : Pachmayr converted Model 14?

awp_101
05-16-2021, 11:38 AM
I saw this in an out of the way (for me) shop last weekend. Model 14 converted to DAO, 6" long roughly 7/8"-1" diameter Pachmayr barrel with built in comp, a rail mounted on top like I've never seen before and an early red dot. It balanced MUCH better than I expected and had the sweetest DA I believe I've ever experienced. Shop manager said the work was done at Pachmayr and based on his knowledge of the owner/consignor there's an above average chance Frank Pachmayr himself did at least some of the work (and based on the reputation of the shop I'd say they did what due diligence they could to verify as much as they could). It appeared to be in extremely good condition, tagged at $1300 IIRC and there might be some wiggle room.

My questions are: is the asking price anywhere near sane and what kind of game was it built for?

DAO so I'd say Bullseye is out and all the PPC revolvers I've seen are iron sighted. Maybe an early example of a USPSA or ICORE revolver?

revchuck38
05-16-2021, 12:13 PM
It might be a former PPC gun converted to a Bianchi Cup gun. Regardless, it sounds pretty sweet. :)

LtDave
05-16-2021, 12:14 PM
Bianchi cup?

I don't think the price is out of line. How much would it cost to recreate it? If the setup works for you, I'd buy it. IMHO post war custom revolvers like this will only go up in price, soon to command premiums like the pre-war King customs do now.

Duelist
05-16-2021, 12:31 PM
Sounds sweet. Whatever it was built for, I’d probably give it a serious look.

LittleLebowski
05-16-2021, 12:33 PM
Pictures not loading.

tango-papa
05-16-2021, 04:47 PM
I saw this in an out of the way (for me) shop last weekend. Model 14 converted to DAO, 6" long roughly 7/8"-1" diameter Pachmayr barrel with built in comp, a rail mounted on top like I've never seen before and an early red dot. It balanced MUCH better than I expected and had the sweetest DA I believe I've ever experienced. Shop manager said the work was done at Pachmayr and based on his knowledge of the owner/consignor there's an above average chance Frank Pachmayr himself did at least some of the work (and based on the reputation of the shop I'd say they did what due diligence they could to verify as much as they could). It appeared to be in extremely good condition, tagged at $1300 IIRC and there might be some wiggle room.

My questions are: is the asking price anywhere near sane and what kind of game was it built for?

DAO so I'd say Bullseye is out and all the PPC revolvers I've seen are iron sighted. Maybe an early example of a USPSA or ICORE revolver?

Assuming it's the same gun I looked at a few days ago, in my opinion, based on the the fact it's a Pachmayr gun (let's assume Frank was NOT the actual gunsmith who built it), it's worth every penny of the asking price. Anyone seriously interested in that gun knows exactly what they are and what they are buying (i.e. a Pachmayr custom). Bonus points if you can get it for less than the asking price.

tango-papa
05-16-2021, 04:55 PM
Pictures not loading.

Assuming we are talking about the same gun, see post #6...

Duelist
05-16-2021, 04:58 PM
Assuming we are talking about the same gun, see post #6...

Nice!

BN
05-16-2021, 04:59 PM
Bianchi cup?

After seeing the pictures, that's my guess. They have a barricade hold where they wrap their finger around the barrel and brace the revolver against the side of the barricade.

awp_101
05-16-2021, 08:34 PM
I don't think the price is out of line. How much would it cost to recreate it? If the setup works for you, I'd buy it. IMHO post war custom revolvers like this will only go up in price, soon to command premiums like the pre-war King customs do now.
Good point on post-war customs. I've seen so many recently built "custom" (a little putty, a little paint makes the old girl what she ain't) and competition guns sell for pennies on the dollar that I forget there's a period where the same level of effort that was put into the pre-war builds also went into the post-war revolvers. The cost to recreate is why I've been trying to figure out what it was built for and it does look like it was built for Bianchi or a similar action pistol game.

Pictures not loading.
Yeeaaah, about that...the fun fund is reloading from the Trooper MKIII that's inbound so it may be a bit before I can move on this.

After seeing the pictures, that's my guess. They have a barricade hold where they wrap their finger around the barrel and brace the revolver against the side of the barricade.
I didn't know about that but it explains the rail shape. To be honest, the Bianchi Cup is something I've heard of for years but never looked into. I probably saw a segment on Shooting USA back in the late 90s-early 00s but that's it AFAIK.

Assuming it's the same gun I looked at a few days ago, in my opinion, based on the the fact it's a Pachmayr gun (let's assume Frank was NOT the actual gunsmith who built it), it's worth every penny of the asking price. Anyone seriously interested in that gun knows exactly what they are and what they are buying (i.e. a Pachmayr custom). Bonus points if you can get it for less than the asking price.
That sure looks like it. If it was in that shop Bolke is known to frequent, that's it.

SeriousStudent
05-16-2021, 08:49 PM
If you don't want to buy it, please let me know.

BN
05-16-2021, 09:04 PM
https://www.google.com/search?q=Bianchi+barricade+hold&client=firefox-b-1-d&tbm=isch&source=iu&ictx=1&fir=C3KBf5Wj8fLvXM%252CVPMmjFHnjzKtqM%252C_&vet=1&usg=AI4_-kR-wlOGB3--BO0m6ZV5ciwp3RvvXA&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjoxsnyz8_wAhUOAp0JHc93A2oQ9QF6BAgLEAE#i mgrc=C3KBf5Wj8fLvXM

tango-papa
05-16-2021, 09:32 PM
That sure looks like it. If it was in that shop Bolke is known to frequent, that's it.

Same shop, same gun.

SeriousStudent
05-16-2021, 09:58 PM
awp_101 and I just swapped PM's, and he gave me the all-clear. I'll call Jackson tomorrow and give them my credit card.

Again. LOL.

I do have an Aimpoint P-1 and an Aimpoint Pro - I'm going to try those and see how they do.

My local club does Bullseye matches about once a month, that should be a fun gun!

awp_101
05-16-2021, 09:59 PM
Same shop, same gun.

OK, fun story time. The youngest boy turns 30 next week and my DiL gave him a generous budget for a milestone birthday gun. Since neither of us had ever been there before we went last Saturday to check it out. He was debating between a Trooper MKIII and a 3-5-7 and while a couple of the guys in the store were educating him on the differences I heard a familiar voice from someone who'd just walked in. It took about a half second for me to realize I'd heard that voice on podcasts then I remembered he'd mentioned this place several times. I looked around and as casually as I could walked over and asked, "Would you happen to be Mr Bolke?". In the car on the way home, The Boy and my DiL said I went a little fan girlish after that...:o

And FWIW he left with the 3-5-7.

SeriousStudent
05-17-2021, 07:38 PM
OK, fun story time. The youngest boy turns 30 next week and my DiL gave him a generous budget for a milestone birthday gun. Since neither of us had ever been there before we went last Saturday to check it out. He was debating between a Trooper MKIII and a 3-5-7 and while a couple of the guys in the store were educating him on the differences I heard a familiar voice from someone who'd just walked in. It took about a half second for me to realize I'd heard that voice on podcasts then I remembered he'd mentioned this place several times. I looked around and as casually as I could walked over and asked, "Would you happen to be Mr Bolke?". In the car on the way home, The Boy and my DiL said I went a little fan girlish after that...:o

And FWIW he left with the 3-5-7.

I am surprised he didn't ask "Why, you got a warrant?"

:cool:

awp_101
05-18-2021, 07:42 AM
I am surprised he didn't ask "Why, you got a warrant?"

:cool:

It did occur to me that essentially doing a "cold call" on a retired LEO and addressing him by name might not be the smartest thing I've ever done. I did the same thing to one of my Drill Sergeants from Ft Sill when I ran into him in the PX at Ft Campbell a couple of years later and definitely got looked at hard until he remembered me.:D