PDA

View Full Version : Texas tigers

OlongJohnson
05-10-2021, 10:28 PM
Just another day on the streets in H-town.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/tiger-briefly-on-the-loose-in-texas-suburb-viral-video-shows/ar-BB1gzWre

A 54-second video posted on social media showed the Bengal tiger roaming freely in front of houses in the Energy Corridor, 18 miles west of downtown Houston.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/tiger-caught-on-video-roaming-around-houston-neighborhood/ar-BB1gzIRK

The tiger was seen wearing a collar and prowling around outside of a home when an off-duty sheriff's deputy encountered the wildcat, seemingly in response to sightings from neighbors.

The encounter was caught on video by a neighbor, according to local NBC affiliate KPRC. In the video, the sheriff's deputy can be seen pointing a gun at the tiger as the animal slowly walks toward him. Then, an unidentified man is seen luring the tiger back onto his property and into the house. Witnesses said the man was pleading with the deputy not to shoot, according to KPRC.

“He came up to the tiger himself and leaned down and kissed the tiger, and then took him by his collar,” an on-looking neighbor told KPRC.

https://www.dw.com/en/tigers-prowl-texas-backyards/a-44347435

It's estimated there could be from 2,000 to 5,000 tigers living in this southern state of the United States — meaning Texas could have more tigers than the roughly 3,800 tigers living in the wild globally.
At the same time, no one really knows just how many tigers there are in Texas or across the country. Some estimates put the United States tiger population around 7,000, but others say numbers are inflated by animal-welfare activists to raise money.

I'd be interested to see how the "estimates" are done. With a high/low of 2.5, it seems a lot like, "We don't have a clue, so we pulled a number out of our cornhole."

HCM
05-10-2021, 11:53 PM
H-town's just trying to keep up with San Antonio..

https://news4sanantonio.com/news/local/reports-of-a-tiger-on-the-loose-in-southwest-san-antonio

Reports of a tiger on the loose in Southwest San Antonio
by Andrea CardenSaturday, February 6th 2021

SAN ANTONIO - Officers from South Patrol were quite surprised Friday to get a call from Animal Care Services asking for help with a tiger on the loose.

Someone called 3-1-1 and said she saw a tiger walking around in her backyard on Elk Runner near Pearsall Park on the Southwest side of San Antonio.

Officers went to the location and the tiger was already gone. With the help of Animal Care Services, they were able to figure out where the tiger was located. They contacted that homeowner, who told them he had borrowed the tiger from a friend so he could show his family.

The tiger jumped his back yard fence and went into the neighbor's yard. He told officers that he was able to catch the tiger and take it back to his friend, who has several tigers.

https://www.kens5.com/article/news/crime/tiger-and-bobcat-found-in-san-antonio-home/273-078922df-30a4-445b-a0c6-ed2903134681

Tiger, bobcat seized from southeast side home

One person was taken into custody by the Bexar County Sheriff's Office. Investigators believe the case is related to other tigers recently rescued in Bexar County.

Updated: 10:35 PM CDT March 16, 2021

SAN ANTONIO — Two wild animals were removed from a home on the southeast side Tuesday afternoon. According to the Bexar County Sheriff's Office, a tiger and a bobcat were being kept inside a home where they took a 25-year-old man into custody.

BCSO arrested Jeremy Martinez at a house in the 3100 block of Shane Road on the far southeast side outside of Loop 410. That's where they discovered a 5-year-old bobcat and a 13-week old tiger cub.

Sheriff Javier Salazar said he thinks the discovery is related to other recent seizures of tigers in the past few months from homes in Bexar County and fears there will be more.

"I think that there's a lot more out there," Salazar said. "You can imagine the tragedy that could occur if there were babies in the house with a bobcat."

Salazar went on to accuse the popular show, The Tiger King, of being partly to blame for an increase in people interested in owning exotic pets.

"I think the Tiger King TV show led to the popularity," Salazar said. "Well it's going to be a 500-pound tiger overnight."

The big cats were taken to the San Antonio Zoo. President Tim Morrow said neither animal was properly cared for by its owner.

"We can already tell the tiger is malnourished. The fur coat doesn't look good. The body shape doesn't look good for a tiger his age," Morrow said. "And the bobcat, who's five years old, really looks like a geriatric cat. The way he's acting, we think he may have some vision problems."

Morrow said this is the third call they've helped police with the last five weeks. He's disappointed to see this mistreatment.

"A lot of people that get these cats, they have them for a status symbol," Morrow said. "They don't know how to care for them. They don't think long term that this is going to be a 500 or 600-pound animal."

Morrow said the zoo takes the animals in and uses its resources to nurse them back to health. Then, they find them a permanent home.

"We'll work with sanctuaries and rescue facilities locally, across Texas and across the country to find them a home to live their forever life," Morrow said. "People can know now that these animals are in a good, safe place and that they're going to get healthy and stronger."

Morrow said the big cats could be with them for days or weeks. He said the tiger they took in a few weeks ago from a previous BCSO seizure has already been relocated to a sanctuary.

OlongJohnson
05-11-2021, 12:03 AM
So, GJM Paul D, what's the best carry gun when there are likely to be tigers roaming your suburb? 1301 with Brennekes?

Hambo
05-11-2021, 05:14 AM
So, GJM Paul D, what's the best carry gun when there are likely to be tigers roaming your suburb? 1301 with Brennekes?

.577 No. 2 would be the traditional choice in a revolver.

fixer
05-11-2021, 05:56 AM
I mean...if a pistol is all you have, ok...but if I have a Tiger on my lawn its probably gonna have to be a slug fest, pun intended.

Zincwarrior
05-11-2021, 07:04 AM
What, you snowflakes can't handle a little housecat wandering around? :p

Just check under your truck before you start it up, so you don't scare it and it runs into the street, ya wussies.

Texas, even our cats our bigger here.

HCM
05-11-2021, 09:22 AM
https://www.ksat.com/news/texas/2021/05/11/man-arrested-in-connection-with-wandering-tiger-in-houston-neighborhood-was-free-on-bond-from-murder-charge/

Man arrested in connection with wandering tiger in Houston neighborhood was free on bond from murder charge
The tiger’s whereabouts are unknown

HOUSTON – A Texas man free on bond from a murder charge was returned to custody Monday after neighbors found a pet tiger wandering around a Houston neighborhood.
Houston police tweeted Monday night that Victor Hugo Cuevas, 26, was back in custody charged with felony evading arrest.
Police had said they believed the tiger had belonged to Cuevas, but his attorney questioned the accuracy of that belief.
Video of the Sunday night encounter shows the tiger coming face-to-face with an armed off-duty Waller County sheriff's deputy, police said. During the encounter, the deputy can be heard yelling at Cuevas to get the animal back inside.

No shots were fired.

When officers arrived, Cuevas put the animal in a white Jeep Cherokee and drove off, Houston police Cmdr. Ron Borza said during a news conference Monday. Cuevas got away after a brief pursuit, he said.

Police said Monday that the tiger’s whereabouts are not known. Borza had said earlier Monday that the main concern was finding Cuevas and finding the tiger "because what I don’t want him to do is harm that tiger. We have plenty of places we can take that tiger and keep it safe and give it a home for the rest of its life."
Cuevas' attorney, Michael W. Elliott, said he didn't think Cuevas was the owner of the tiger or that he was taking care of the animal. The attorney also said it was unclear to him if it was Cuevas seen on videos of the incident.
“People are making a lot of assumptions in this particular case. Maybe he might be the hero out there who caught the tiger that was in the neighborhood," Elliott said.
Cuevas was charged with murder in a 2017 fatal shooting of a man outside a restaurant in neighboring Fort Bend County and was out on bond. Elliott said Cuevas has maintained the shooting was self-defense and is innocent of the murder charge.

Cuevas also apparently had two monkeys in the home, Borza said.
Having a monkey is not illegal in Houston if the animal is under 30 pounds (13.5 kilograms). Tigers are not allowed within Houston city limits unless the handler, such as a zoo, is licensed to have exotic animals. Texas has no statewide law forbidding private ownership of tigers and other exotic animals.
In 2019, some people who went into an abandoned Houston home to smoke marijuana found a caged tiger. The tiger's owner was later ordered to pay for the animal's care at an East Texas wildlife refuge.

Borza said residents should not have such animals because they can be unpredictable.
“If that tiger was to get out and start doing some damage yesterday, I’m sure one of these citizens would have shot the tiger. We have plenty of neighbors out here with guns, and we don’t want to see that. It’s not the animal’s fault. It’s the breeder’s fault. It’s unacceptable," he said.

jh9
05-11-2021, 09:51 AM
https://www.ksat.com/news/texas/2021/05/11/man-arrested-in-connection-with-wandering-tiger-in-houston-neighborhood-was-free-on-bond-from-murder-charge/

Man arrested in connection with wandering tiger in Houston neighborhood was free on bond from murder charge
The tiger’s whereabouts are unknown

Be on the lookout. Large cat with stripes. Answers to the name of "tabby".

Meanwhile, an hour north of San Antonio all we've got is a homeless dude with a live chicken he wears as a hat.

Sometimes I wonder who's weirder than who.

vaglocker
05-11-2021, 09:57 AM
Pistol or no, homeboy was dead man walking at that distance if that cat had decided he was hungry.

Hambo
05-11-2021, 10:34 AM
I mean...if a pistol is all you have, ok...but if I have a Tiger on my lawn its probably gonna have to be a slug fest, pun intended.

If a slug gun is all you have, ok...but for a tiger on the lawn it should be a .470 NE Rigby double. If you're one of LittleLebowski's poors, I suppose you could make due with a bolt action in .375 or .458.

Jim Watson
05-11-2021, 11:02 AM
Jim Corbett thought a .450-400 was adequate for tigers and was known to shoot them with a .275 Rigby. But he was a professional, do not try that at home.

fixer
05-11-2021, 11:31 AM
I mean if I’m honest an rpg would make the most sense.

Zincwarrior
05-11-2021, 11:37 AM
Jim Corbett thought a .450-400 was adequate for tigers and was known to shoot them with a .275 Rigby. But he was a professional, do not try that at home.

I'm offended. Texas kitties need petting and love. How else are we going to keep the chupacabra populations down?

Doc_Glock
05-11-2021, 11:52 AM

https://frontierpartisans.com/3666/jim-corbetts-rifle/

https://youtu.be/x2rZabt_C_8
(https://frontierpartisans.com/3666/jim-corbetts-rifle/)

HCM
05-11-2021, 01:24 PM
I mean if I’m honest an rpg would make the most sense.

Y'all are slacking

https://youtu.be/hdDiRi-3AAM

Coyotesfan97
05-11-2021, 02:37 PM
HCM beat me to it. Never get out of the fucking boat!

Caballoflaco
05-11-2021, 05:01 PM
My favorite tiger story is the story of Vladimir Markov a Russian poacher who in 1997 wounded a Siberian or Amur tiger and stole part of the fresh kill it had made. This made the tiger angry and over the next couple of days:

The injured tiger hunted Markov down in a way that appears to be chillingly premeditated. The tiger staked out Markov's cabin, systematically destroyed anything that had Markov's scent on it, and then waited by the front door for Markov to come home.

https://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=129551459

It’s worth a web search if your into terrifying animal storie and there are a couple of decent videos and articles out there about the incident.

HCM
05-12-2021, 11:54 PM
My favorite tiger story is the story of Vladimir Markov a Russian poacher who in 1997 wounded a Siberian or Amur tiger and stole part of the fresh kill it had made. This made the tiger angry and over the next couple of days:

https://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=129551459

It’s worth a web search if your into terrifying animal storie and there are a couple of decent videos and articles out there about the incident.

I highly recommend the book The Tiger: A True Story of Vengeance and Survival by John Vaillant

A gripping story of man pitted against nature’s most fearsome and efficient predator.

Outside a remote village in Russia’s Far East a man-eating tiger is on the prowl. The tiger isn’t just killing people, it’s murdering them, almost as if it has a vendetta. A team of trackers is dispatched to hunt down the tiger before it strikes again. They know the creature is cunning, injured, and starving, making it even more dangerous. As John Vaillant re-creates these extraordinary events, he gives us an unforgettable and masterful work of narrative nonfiction that combines a riveting portrait of a stark and mysterious region of the world and its people, with the natural history of nature’s most deadly predator.

https://smile.amazon.com/Tiger-Vengeance-Survival-Vintage-Departures/dp/0307389049/ref=smi_www_rco2_go_smi_g4368549507?_encoding=UTF8&%2AVersion%2A=1&%2Aentries%2A=0&ie=UTF8

HCM
05-13-2021, 12:01 AM
https://www.foxnews.com/us/houston-tiger-roaming-neighborhood-400-pound-tiger-nyc-apartment-2003

Houston tiger roaming neighborhood evokes memories of 400-pound tiger found living in Harlem apartment
The whereabouts of the Houston tiger remained unknown on Wednesday.

[It turns out there have been many Tiger kings over the years.

Houston made headlines this week after a tiger was found wandering a suburban neighborhood where it came face-to-face with an armed deputy before a man put the animal in the back seat of a white Jeep Cherokee and fled the scene.

But nearly 20 years ago, an even more bizarre scene unfolded in a Harlem housing project.

On Oct. 3, 2003, police discovered a 400-pound Siberian-Bengal tiger named Ming living in the Drew-Hamilton Houses. Its owner, Antoine Yates, had purchased the tiger three years earlier from a wild animal dealer.

Yates was being treated at the hospital for bite wounds he claimed were from a dog – but doctors suspected it was from something much bigger.

Wildlife experts arrived at Yates’ apartment and Emergency Service Unit officer Martin Duffy shot the tiger with a tranquilizer dart while rappelling down a rope from the seventh floor.

Yates was arrested on charges of reckless endangerment and possession of a wild animal. He served three and a half months in jail.

Ming was transferred to a Noah’s Lost Ark Animal Sanctuary in Berlin Center, Ohio where he lived for the remainder of his life until 2019.

jh9
05-13-2021, 08:28 AM

I was under the impression that all the big cats were still thin skinned and relatively light (for their size). Meaning, you actually don't need a cape buffalo caliber.

Wasn't it the Howdah "pistols" essentially being short barreled shotguns that were used primarily for defense against tigers when mounted on an elephant? Or is that me conflating fiction with reality.

Put another way: 12-gauge buckshot or 5.56 JSPs, would that not be adequately effective?

Jim Watson
05-13-2021, 08:45 AM
Not by me.
When you screw up and wound a leopard, your PWH will likely track it with a shotgun, but a tiger is a LOT bigger animal.
There is a lot of big game poached by underpaid Slobbovian troops who just hose the animals with automatic rifles, but it is not something one would do on purpose. I guess if you are faced with a loose "pet" tiger or lion, you will do the best you can with what you have, q.v. Ray Ordorica vs a bear with 9mm.

The typical Howdah Pistol maxed out at .577. Hamilton Bowen built a modern version of the rare .577 revolver on a Ruger action. It got a 400 gr bullet to 725 fps on black powder, so it would really have been a last ditch defense, these days you would be better off with something like a .475 Linebaugh.

T. Roosevelt thought a .405 Winchester was a suitable lion rifle.

Doc_Glock
05-13-2021, 09:01 AM
I was under the impression that all the big cats were still thin skinned and relatively light (for their size). Meaning, you actually don't need a cape buffalo caliber.

Wasn't it the Howdah "pistols" essentially being short barreled shotguns that were used primarily for defense against tigers when mounted on an elephant? Or is that me conflating fiction with reality.

Put another way: 12-gauge buckshot or 5.56 JSPs, would that not be adequately effective?

In at least one Corbett story he regrets taking his easily carried, light, .275 when all of a sudden things get real and he finds himself a bit unexpectedly tracking a large man eater through the jungle. It made me laugh because things never change in some ways.

jh9
05-13-2021, 09:12 AM
In at least one Corbett story he regrets taking his easily carried, light, .275 when all of a sudden things get real and he finds himself a bit unexpectedly tracking a large man eater through the jungle. It made me laugh because things never change in some ways.

True. I wonder if his impression would have been different if the .275 had a 30 round magazine, higher rate of fire and an aimpoint.

There is a lot of big game poached by underpaid Slobbovian troops who just hose the animals with automatic rifles, but it is not something one would do on purpose. I guess if you are faced with a loose "pet" tiger or lion, you will do the best you can with what you have, q.v. Ray Ordorica vs a bear with 9mm.

Right. The thought is less "hunting with the aim of taking game humanely" and more "shit shit shit SHIT SHIT SHIT".

Joe S
05-13-2021, 09:31 AM
I highly recommend the book The Tiger: A True Story of Vengeance and Survival by John Vaillant

https://smile.amazon.com/Tiger-Vengeance-Survival-Vintage-Departures/dp/0307389049/ref=smi_www_rco2_go_smi_g4368549507?_encoding=UTF8&%2AVersion%2A=1&%2Aentries%2A=0&ie=UTF8

I emphatically second this. Great book. A 600 lb cat that was personally determined to murder you, while being capable of moving completely silently over snow or through underbrush, who by the way can jump 20 feet? Crazy.

Coyotesfan97
05-13-2021, 01:32 PM
I think it was Maneaters of Kumaon where Corbett wrote he actually went out hunting with only three rounds of ammo,had to fire twice, and was down to one round with a man eating Tiger in close proximity. I highly recommend it along with any other Corbett you can find.

Corbett also spent a lot of time in his later years taking photographs of Tigers.

Maneaters of Kumaon (https://www.amazon.com/Man-eaters-Kumaon-Jim-Corbett-ebook/dp/B075X1CDX6/ref=sr_1_2?crid=27H8YMWB70L4G&dchild=1&keywords=maneaters+of+kumaon&qid=1620930583&sprefix=Maneaters+%2Caps%2C242&sr=8-2)

Duelist
05-13-2021, 07:09 PM

400-600 pounds. Think on that for a moment. A medium sized cow elk will weigh about 400 pounds. A large bull will clear 600. Would you shoot an elk, which is not likely to hurt you except under extraordinary circumstances, with a 5.56 or with buckshot deliberately? My .270 Winchester is a good elk rifle, but some consider it inadequate/too small.

Howdahs, from what I understand, were not loaded with buckshot, but with a large slug in each barrel. A .577 round ball or slug is much more of the kind of medicine an adult tiger would call for. A semiauto 12g with a tube full of Brennekes sounds like what I would be looking for were I to need to protect life and limb from a >400# tiger. Alaska grizzly bear medicine.

jh9
05-13-2021, 07:23 PM
400-600 pounds. Think on that for a moment. A medium sized cow elk will weigh about 400 pounds. A large bull will clear 600. Would you shoot an elk, which is not likely to hurt you except under extraordinary circumstances, with a 5.56 or with buckshot deliberately? My .270 Winchester is a good elk rifle, but some consider it inadequate/too small.

Howdahs, from what I understand, were not loaded with buckshot, but with a large slug in each barrel. A .577 round ball or slug is much more of the kind of medicine an adult tiger would call for. A semiauto 12g with a tube full of Brennekes sounds like what I would be looking for were I to need to protect life and limb from a >400# tiger. Alaska grizzly bear medicine.

I think what I posted earlier adds some important context:

Right. The thought is less "hunting with the aim of taking game humanely" and more "shit shit shit SHIT SHIT SHIT".

If a 600lb tiger warrants "Alaska grizzly bear medicine" then it is what it is, but I'm still wondering if that is what it is. Especially since the question at large is something like bonded 5.56 soft points with the intent to use a lot of them as needed. Maybe 12-gauge buckshot is, for this purpose, not really comparable like it is for human threats.

Ultimately, it doesn't matter. Houston is Way Over There and until some asshat lets a tiger loose in Austin this is all merely educational for me. But the responses so far have all been from the "hunting" angle and my interest is more from a defensive angle where I'm not limited to a bolt action with three bullets. I do think that changes the calculus, but I could be wrong.

OlongJohnson
05-13-2021, 07:51 PM
Given the speed of a large predator such as this, you may not have time to use more than low single digits of rounds, even with a semi-auto. I wouldn't plan for it with anything I wasn't confident had the sauce to penetrate stem to stern, and 5.56 ain't that.

I am unsure of whether I'd rather confront such a threat with the 1301 w/Nordic full of Brennekes or a semi-auto with 10 or 20 times of .308. Ten of .30-06 would be even better. Unsure whether I'd like four of .338 WinMag more than more of .30 caliber. I suspect that of these options, the best would be bonded or monometal .308s as fast as you can put them on target from as far away as you need to start until either it stops or the fight becomes an ECQC problem.

Several years ago, Phil Shoemaker was faced with a committed attack from a big brown while fishing near town. Hadn't expected trouble, so all he took that day was a 3953 (9mm) loaded with nine rounds of someone's heavy penetrator. Few people on the planet know more about where to put bullets in a big brown than Phil. My recollection of the story is that he shot and hit six times from near contact distance, with the bear turning and coming back for multiple passes. Three of the bullets did useful work, and the bear stopped. He only had three left.

BN
05-13-2021, 08:10 PM
A few years ago, a man near Zanesville Ohio turned loose his collection of wild animals and then committed suicide. The Sheriff's department ended up killing a bunch of them with .556 carbines.

https://www.gq.com/story/terry-thompson-ohio-zoo-massacre-chris-heath-gq-february-2012

18 Tigers, 17 Lions, 8 Bears, 3 Cougars, 2 Wolves, 1 Baboon, 1 Macaque, and 1 Man Dead in Ohio.

MickAK
05-13-2021, 08:11 PM
Several years ago, Phil Shoemaker was faced with a committed attack from a big brown while fishing near town. Hadn't expected trouble, so all he took that day was a 3953 (9mm) loaded with nine rounds of someone's heavy penetrator. Few people on the planet know more about where to put bullets in a big brown than Phil. My recollection of the story is that he shot and hit six times from near contact distance, with the bear turning and coming back for multiple passes. Three of the bullets did useful work, and the bear stopped. He only had three left.

He had one left. Bear didn't really turn and come back multiple passes, just kept whirling trying to bite whatever was biting him which makes it more or less impossible to place a bullet - a bear can whirl pretty damn fast. Shot placement on a pissed off brown blur is mostly a guess.

rob_s
05-13-2021, 08:12 PM
Tiger briefly on the loose in Texas suburb, viral video shows

I recall seeing this headline and thinking “goddamnit, can’t he just stay off the pills and stick to golf”

Caballoflaco
05-13-2021, 08:14 PM
Do any of our Midwestern members know what was used when dude let all his tigers and lions and bears free in Zainsville Ohio?

Iirc from memory some of the first officers on scene had to use handguns and others had AR’s. By the time it was over they had killed a substantial number of number of dangerous predators.

From wiki https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2011_Zanesville,_Ohio_animal_escape

The animals confirmed to be dead were eighteen tigers, six black bears, two grizzly bears, two wolves, one macaque monkey, one baboon, three mountain lions, nine male lions, and eight lionesses.

ETA: BN posted up the same story as this one while I was posting slowly.

TC215
05-13-2021, 08:17 PM
Do any of our Midwestern members know what was used when dude let all his tigers and lions and bears free in Zainsville Ohio?

Iirc from memory some of the first officers on scene had to use handguns and others had AR’s. By the time it was over they had killed a substantial number of number of dangerous predators.

From Mas:

https://americanhandgunner.com/the-ayoob-files/lions-and-tigers-and-bears-for-real/

Caballoflaco
05-13-2021, 09:37 PM
From Mas:

https://americanhandgunner.com/the-ayoob-files/lions-and-tigers-and-bears-for-real/

Thanks, I’d forgotten Mas had written that despite reading it before.

It seems that shooting big cats with 5.56 is best performed as a group activity from the back of a truck.

Joe in PNG
05-13-2021, 10:12 PM
Thanks, I’d forgotten Mas had written that despite reading it before.

It seems that shooting big cats with 5.56 is best performed as a group activity from the back of a truck.

Large group activity at that.

Lester Polfus
05-13-2021, 10:20 PM

ETA: BN posted up the same story as this one while I was posting slowly.

Esquire magazine did a write up as well. (https://www.esquire.com/news-politics/a12653/zanesville-0312/)

A similar incident is going to appear in one of my future novels.

Lester Polfus
05-13-2021, 10:35 PM
Esquire magazine did a write up as well. (https://www.esquire.com/news-politics/a12653/zanesville-0312/)

A similar incident is going to appear in one of my future novels.

I've studied this incident at length, both for the book, and because of some other interests I have.

1) The number and types of animals, and the conditions under which they were kept was ridiculous. I'm not a proponent of telling people what they should or shouldn't own, or more regulation typically, but Thompson should have been shut down. The wild animal trade in some states is out of control, and this sort of thing is likely to happen again.

2) It's a miracle nobody died.

3) Sheriff's Lutz's decision to immediately start dropping animals was 100% correct. The closest help for safely capturing an animal that size was at the Columbus zoo, and they were a distance away. They could at most have helped with a couple of escaped animals. Columbus Zoo staff, including Jack Hanna, were on board with how it happened.

4) It took giant brass balls to hunt those animals at night. BZ Muskingum County SO.

BN
05-14-2021, 10:49 AM
The Zanesville incident was semi local. I live about 50 miles away. Driving by on I-70 you could see all his 40s, 50s and 60s cars rusting away in the field. Word on the street was he wouldn't sell anything. I wondered what happened to them afterwards.

Jim Watson
05-14-2021, 02:28 PM
A friend's wife is known to get all goo goo eyed over privately held wild animals of all sizes.
A picture of a "playful, tame" beast is just her thing.
Phooey.

SeriousStudent
05-14-2021, 05:36 PM
So, @GJM (https://pistol-forum.com/member.php?u=410) @Paul D (https://pistol-forum.com/member.php?u=388), what's the best carry gun when there are likely to be tigers roaming your suburb? 1301 with Brennekes?

Just my opinion, but I would say a Bushmaster would be ideal.

Not the puny little .223 carbine:

But the navalized 25MM chain gun variety:

And yes, I know you said carry gun. But anything is a carry gun, you just need to add more PFC's as necessary.

jtcarm
05-17-2021, 06:03 PM
Yuppies in the Dallas burbs shite themselves over a bobcat sighting.

OlongJohnson
05-17-2021, 06:48 PM
They caught him.

https://www.houstonpublicmedia.org/articles/news/criminal-justice/2021/05/15/398229/india-the-lost-tiger-has-been-found-in-houston/