PDA

View Full Version : Glock is developing a rifle?

LittleLebowski
05-10-2021, 05:41 PM
German link.
https://www.spartanat.com/2021/05/es-kommt-das-glock-sturmgewehr/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=38dx8JzT5BE

MickAK
05-10-2021, 05:56 PM
Kinda wonder what took them so long

revchuck38
05-10-2021, 06:12 PM
That rifle brass to face is gonna hurt. ;)

kwb377
05-10-2021, 06:29 PM
Does it take Glock mags?

fatdog
05-10-2021, 06:31 PM
I believe him at the same level I am expecting this....

JohnO
05-10-2021, 06:56 PM
https://www.imageconscious.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/09/H1485D.jpg

randyho
05-10-2021, 07:03 PM
An "asshat rifle." Diabolical.

UNM1136
05-10-2021, 07:08 PM
Been on the drawing board 20 or so years, IIRC.

pat

fly out
05-10-2021, 07:25 PM
German link.

H8rs gonna H8. Why else would papers have been filed with the USPTO trademark office for 556GAR?!?

Itz realz. Game Changer. #perfuction (https://pistol-forum.com/usertag.php?do=list&action=hash&hash=perfuction) .

SeriousStudent
05-10-2021, 07:41 PM

And your flying pig is not wearing his mask! Burn the witch!

Preferably with some fried eggs and hash browns.

Borderland
05-10-2021, 07:43 PM

When pigs fly. :D

Joe in PNG
05-10-2021, 07:46 PM
Time to play "Animals" by Pink Floyd.

Totem Polar
05-10-2021, 09:04 PM
German link.

Greg Bell
05-10-2021, 09:12 PM
If real I am sure I will buy one but I wonder why they wouldn't use a monolithic rail design?

JSGlock34
05-10-2021, 09:33 PM
Getting some buzz...

Recoil: Evidence of Glock Carbine: Patents and Proofs
(https://www.recoilweb.com/evidence-of-glock-carbine-patents-and-proofs-167026.html)

Jackdog
05-10-2021, 09:35 PM
When pigs fly. :D

Hey, hey, hey! I resemble that!!![emoji1787][emoji1787]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HCM
05-10-2021, 10:27 PM
If real I am sure I will buy one but I wonder why they wouldn't use a monolithic rail design?

Have to define “real.” It’s real in that Glock has done enough research and development for a carbine to apply for patents but does that equal a product coming to market anytime soon? Who knows.

A big question is how recently was the R&D done snd how recent are the patents ?

Re: monolithic rail- this could be something the they worked on 20 years ago and abandoned, or maybe, like Colt, they don’t want to pay LMT royalties for use of LMT’s patent on monolithic uppers.

spyderco monkey
05-11-2021, 02:08 AM

I assume they've designed this to be lower cost then a monolithic extruded aluminum uppers (ala SCAR), as minimizing production cost/ machining time is a main driver of Glocks pistol designs.

If I had to guess, the top part (labeled 4-6) is aluminum, likely extruded, and then the rest of the handguard and lower receiver are polymer. Presumably, this would shorten machining time and aluminum use vs having a continuous extrusion.

https://www.recoilweb.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/05/glock_carbine_14.jpg

Rex G
05-11-2021, 06:08 AM
Sometimes, one patents an idea, not so much to bring the idea to production, but to keep another manufacturer from being able to market the idea, unless royalties are paid. Some that come to mind, that I remember from forum discussions and articles, are that Canon patented camera and lens concepts that were never marketed.

HeavyDuty
05-11-2021, 07:30 AM
Sometimes, one patents an idea, not so much to bring the idea to production, but to keep another manufacturer from being able to market the idea, unless royalties are paid. Some that come to mind, that I remember from forum discussions and articles, are that Canon patented camera and lens concepts that were never marketed.

I believe Nikon does this too, since they are an optical company that also builds cameras. (Speaking to the photographic division only.)

JHC
05-11-2021, 07:31 AM
I've known it was a real concept but . . .

I was pining for a modern designed, polymer leveraged carbine like a modern M1 Carbine weighing 5-6 lbs, handle optics, could come as a semi auto or pump, in intermediate calibers 10mm - maybe 300 BO.

HeavyDuty
05-11-2021, 07:37 AM
A big question is how recently was the R&D done snd how recent are the patents ?

Per the Recoil link:

Applications were filed the beginning of November 2019, and were published in the first half of April.

octagon
05-11-2021, 08:20 AM

My assumption is that the quick change barrel system would preclude that.

HeavyDuty
05-11-2021, 08:41 AM
I will admit I’m curious if this will happen. I’m also skeptical we would see it here.

HCM
05-11-2021, 09:19 AM

I was pining for a modern designed, polymer leveraged carbine like a modern M1 Carbine weighing 5-6 lbs, handle optics, could come as a semi auto or pump, in intermediate calibers 10mm - maybe 300 BO.

Like most European gun companies Glock primarily sees their market as GOV/MIK/LE. There’s no institutional market for what you describe.

WobblyPossum
05-11-2021, 09:37 AM
I’m curious. I’m hoping it’s relatively inexpensive compared to its competitors.

Borderland
05-11-2021, 09:41 AM

You might have to settle for an antique M1 carbine. I've thought about putting a red dot on mine but if I can ring steel with it at 200 yds what's the point?

HCM
05-11-2021, 11:13 AM
I’m curious. I’m hoping it’s relatively inexpensive compared to its competitors.

It would help if they make it in Georgia.

Importing these from Austria in some type of sport or configuration and then converting them would just add to the cost.

pi3
05-11-2021, 11:35 AM

Importing these from Austria in some type of sport or configuration and then converting them would just add to the cost.

i'm reminded of when Magpul first announced the Masada. Lets just hope Glock doesn't farm out the USA version to Bushmaster.:cool:

HCM
05-11-2021, 12:08 PM
i'm reminded of when Magpul first announced the Masada. Lets just hope Glock doesn't farm out the USA version to Bushmaster.:cool:

Highly unlikely. At that time Magpul was still a small company which had never produced guns, where as Glock is a medium to large company with well established production facilities in the US.

My understanding is Magpul merely licensed Bushmaster to make the Masada. Magpul still owns the design and could produce it or license it to someone else if they thought demand was there long term.

pi3
05-11-2021, 12:42 PM
Highly unlikely. At that time Magpul was still a small company which had never produced guns, where as Glock is a medium to large company with well established production facilities in the US.

My understanding is Magpul merely licensed Bushmaster to make the Masada. Magpul still owns the design and could produce it or license it to someone else if they thought demand was there long term.

I was just joking about Bushmaster. But it could be similar in how everyone got their hopes up and were then disanointed.

Any idea from he drawings if it will accept usgi mags or does it look like something proprietary?

HeavyDuty
05-11-2021, 12:45 PM
I was just joking about Bushmaster. But it could be similar in how everyone got their hopes up and were then disanointed.

That would be an abdication.

HCM
05-11-2021, 12:55 PM

Any idea from he drawings if it will accept usgi mags or does it look like something proprietary?

Looks like 5.56 and M-16 mags which is logical since they are the NATO standard.

I would not get my hopes up as Glock is very oriented to institutional GOV/MIL/LE so even if they make these, they may or may not release a civilian semi auto only version. Or may or may not make them in/for the US.

Speaking of Bushmaster and the ACR, while the BM ACR's were problematic, Remington Defense put quite a bit of work into R&D improvements for the select fire ACR on the MIL/GOV side. I got to shoot one of the Remington Defense improved ACR's during an 870 armorer's class at FLETC and was impressed vs the commercial version.

WobblyPossum
05-11-2021, 12:57 PM

With the current state of the firearms market, if Glock built them here, they’d sell them as fast as they could box them up and ship them out. The question is would they add the additional production capability to do so, or divert some of the resources used to produce Glock handguns to produce these rifles. Right now Glock is also selling every handgun they make as fast as they can box it up and ship it out. The profit margin on the rifle would have to be pretty great to warrant diverting handgun producing resources.

HCM
05-11-2021, 01:00 PM
With the current state of the firearms market, if Glock built them here, they’d sell them as fast as they could /box them up and ship them out. The question is would they add the additional production capability to do so, or divert some of the resources used to produce Glock handguns to produce these rifles. Right now Glock is also selling every handgun they make as fast as they can box it up and ship it out. The profit margin on the rifle would have to be pretty great to warrant diverting handgun producing resources.

And would they want to invest in that infrastructure with the possibility of them being Biden banned. That's why HK never set up HK 91/93/94 production in the US.

The only reason HK are making some rifles in Colombus GA now is DOD contracts.

WobblyPossum
05-11-2021, 01:07 PM
And would they want to invest in that infrastructure with the possibility of them being Biden banned. That's why HK never set up HK 91/93/94 production in the US.

Yeah. This is a scary time if you have assets tied up in the production of military style semi-auto rifles, or whatever we’re calling then now. Even if Glock makes them overseas, the administration could just ban their importation.

HCM
05-11-2021, 01:19 PM
Yeah. This is a scary time if you have assets tied up in the production of military style semi-auto rifles, or whatever we’re calling then now. Even if Glock makes them overseas, the administration could just ban their importation.

Unless Glock got a EU GOV/MIL contract for them, it would make more sense to make them in the US. Bigger commercial market and for GOV/MIL sales US ITAR is still easier to work with than most EU versions of ITAR.

GearFondler
05-11-2021, 01:42 PM
Yeah. This is a scary time if you have assets tied up in the production of military style semi-auto rifles, or whatever we’re calling then now.

The term you're looking for is "murder sticks".

Nephrology
05-11-2021, 05:57 PM
I first heard rumors of a Glock rifle back in 2011 when I took my Glock armorers course. I believed them then.... but for now, I'll wait til I see it with my own two eyes :)

Greg Bell
05-11-2021, 06:59 PM
I don't see any downside to Glock manufacturing these here. Glock has AMAZING LEO market penetration and lets face it, a zombie hoard of people who would drink Gaston's pee if he told them to. They can make these here for LEO and Military and sell them on the side to civilians. Most LEO aren't going to issue FA guns anyway so there is no real difference between the two. And I also suspect Glock is savvy enough to realize that there is very little likelihood of a ban in the United States (for the time being).

What interests me is that this may not be yet another AR-18. I am hoping for something a little weird. Still, it doesn't look that simple to me. Of course, I may just be looking at it wrong. But I didn't get the impression from the drawings that this gun is anything special in the simplicity department.

Caballoflaco
05-11-2021, 07:16 PM
I’m more interested in in the polymer mag shown in the drawings than I am a carbine with a weird piston system that looks like it was designed in the 1930’s and what looks to be an overly complicated bolt carrier/ejection system. But a glock AR mas might be cool.

spyderco monkey
05-11-2021, 07:25 PM
TFB article with more patent drawings, including descriptions of the 'annular gas piston' which is pretty unique:

https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2021/05/11/glock-assault-rifle/

pastaslinger
05-12-2021, 07:51 PM
TFB article with more patent drawings, including descriptions of the 'annular gas piston' which is pretty unique:

https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2021/05/11/glock-assault-rifle/

Makes me think of the gewehr 41

O4L
05-13-2021, 12:35 AM
So if this happens can we call it a GAR, please. [emoji16]

revchuck38
05-13-2021, 02:07 AM
So if this happens can we call it a GAR, please. [emoji16]

And the ammo it shoots will be GAR ball.

Phaedrus
05-13-2021, 02:57 AM

HK also has to deal with some onerous German regs. That's the main reason we don't get a US-made HK433.:p

Totem Polar
05-13-2021, 10:41 AM
And the ammo it shoots will be GAR ball.

And the true believers will carry them around in GARBAGs.

:)

(Pithy nod to the fly tying kids out there)

RevolverRob
05-13-2021, 03:02 PM
And the true believers will carry them around in GARBAGs.

:)

(Pithy nod to the fly tying kids out there)

You misspelled "GARBAGE".

Which is what another boring AR-clone in a saturated market. Add in Glock's CS attempting to out HK, HK these days, that'll be fun. I forone look forward to seeing this one released in five generations with each successive generation getting worse until they finally fix it at the behest of somebody with 'real' influence in the fifth generation.

Because we're Glock(enspiel) und you must play the correct notes ($$ und ££) on our xylophone or we hate you!

jbrimlow
05-13-2021, 03:26 PM
Uncommon operating mechanisms are uncommon for a reason.

Joe in PNG
05-13-2021, 04:59 PM
Uncommon operating mechanisms are uncommon for a reason.

Which is why we're pretty much down to mostly AR-15 clone, AK-47 clone, or AR-180 clone.

Center Shot
05-13-2021, 05:05 PM
If Glock does come out with a carbine, I see Glock making deals with Law Enforcement agencies, where you get a duty handgun and patrol rifle for a decent price.

HeavyDuty
05-13-2021, 05:19 PM
You misspelled "GARBAGE".

Which is what another boring AR-clone in a saturated market. Add in Glock's CS attempting to out HK, HK these days, that'll be fun. I forone look forward to seeing this one released in five generations with each successive generation getting worse until they finally fix it at the behest of somebody with 'real' influence in the fifth generation.

Because we're Glock(enspiel) und you must play the correct notes ($$ und ££) on our xylophone or we hate you!

Damn, you must have double dosed your curmudgeon pills today.

RevolverRob
05-13-2021, 05:37 PM
Damn, you must have double dosed your curmudgeon pills today.

Definitely.

I lost ~4 days worth of work when files on my desktop just disappeared yesterday afternoon. And I was up all night working and not sleeping. So, I'm not feeling super charitable right now.

Here's my gimme - I'll buy a GAR(bage) Rifle, but only if every single fastener in it is a T7 Torx. :eek::rolleyes:

revchuck38
05-13-2021, 05:46 PM
Definitely.

I lost ~4 days worth of work when files on my desktop just disappeared yesterday afternoon. And I was up all night working and not sleeping. So, I'm not feeling super charitable right now.

Here's my gimme - I'll buy a GAR(bage) Rifle, but only if every single fastener in it is a T7 Torx. :eek::rolleyes:

Dr. Revchuck prescribes beer, food, and sleep. Unless you have to recreate those files in order to unass Chiraq, in which case you do what you gotta do.

RevolverRob
05-13-2021, 07:55 PM
Dr. Revchuck prescribes beer, food, and sleep. Unless you have to recreate those files in order to unass Chiraq, in which case you do what you gotta do.

Yea. It is unfortunately the latter. But the good news, by 10pm tonight, I should be back to where I was at 10am yesterday. :rolleyes:

Like a Glock with each successive generation, I regress. :eek::p

pangloss
05-14-2021, 05:13 PM
If Glock does come out with a carbine, I see Glock making deals with Law Enforcement agencies, where you get a duty handgun and patrol rifle for a decent price.

If I were Glock, I'd get the out the door as fast as I could, take LE ARs in on trade in, then sell the ARs on the used market while prices are still high.

I lost ~4 days worth of work when files on my desktop just disappeared yesterday afternoon. And I was up all night working and not sleeping.

I use DropBox and then sync to multiple computers, four computer actually. A few things get copied over to Google Drive too. DropBox and Google are the best. Box is good. OneDrive burned me a few years ago, and I still don't completely trust them. Of course OneDrive is what my institution uses. Also, ReadCube Papers is great. I got so tired of having to back up and copy things when I change institutions, that I had to find a better way. Now if an asteroid destroyed my building at work, I wouldn't lose anything. I apologize for muddying up this thread with unrelated content. I'll be quiet now.

spyderco monkey
05-14-2021, 08:39 PM
This is NOT the Glock Carbine, but based on the abbreviated upper receiver paired with step down handguard, gives us kind of an idea of what it could look like based on the patent drawings.

Patent:
https://www.recoilweb.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/05/glock_carbine_13.jpg

Perun X16:
https://tinck-ar.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/02/TinckArms_PerunX16_AR-02_MidLength.png

https://scontent-vie1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.6435-9/186496815_10161170864719768_7804223821238204366_n. jpg?_nc_cat=104&ccb=1-3&_nc_sid=825194&_nc_ohc=QcpYVw7woj8AX_tTvAG&_nc_ht=scontent-vie1-1.xx&oh=2d3bea12ae8c88f026853e0d4dd8366a&oe=60C4F7E7

Obviously a different design, but gives us some idea of what it could end up looking like.

OlongJohnson
05-14-2021, 09:41 PM
Lots of interesting stuff if you go to Google patents and search for "Glock Technology GmbH" as the assignee.

You could pretty much blow Saturday out of the water with the reading.

RevolverRob
05-14-2021, 11:56 PM
If I were Glock, I'd get the out the door as fast as I could, take LE ARs in on trade in, then sell the ARs on the used market while prices are still high.

Not a bad idea.

I use DropBox and then sync to multiple computers, four computer actually. A few things get copied over to Google Drive too. DropBox and Google are the best. Box is good. OneDrive burned me a few years ago, and I still don't completely trust them. Of course OneDrive is what my institution uses. Also, ReadCube Papers is great. I got so tired of having to back up and copy things when I change institutions, that I had to find a better way. Now if an asteroid destroyed my building at work, I wouldn't lose anything. I apologize for muddying up this thread with unrelated content. I'll be quiet now.

DropBox and Google Drive cannot handle the level of data I transfer and move around regularly. I went to Cincinnati last week and came back with 400gigs of data from <3 hours of data generation. That's raw, obviously once I process it down I come out using about a 1/4-1/3 of that. But anyways, I regularly work with files that are 30gigs in size. And DropBox and Google simply can't handle the size. Hell, I broke my instutition's Box account last week, twice, trying to upload large files.

In my case, I usually run nightly backups to a 1TB external using Time Machine, and a weekly backup to my personal server with about 10tb of storage on it right now. Unfortunately, I stupidly forgot it a few nights in a row and thus lost data. My next lab also generates massive amounts of data and has already three Enterprise-level server racks and enough computing power to make an amateur cryptocurrency miner weep.

revolvergeek
05-27-2021, 01:10 PM

That is kind of along the same lines I was hoping for. Something to fight the Ruger PCC and the Just Right carbines, so maybe takedown, and caliber convertible with a bolt and barrel change would be awesome. Build one sized for 9mm/40 and on sized for .45 / 10mm. They would sell piles of them.