PDA

View Full Version : Glock 19 not going into battery with wolf

helothar
07-17-2012, 10:00 PM
On my last trip to the range I had some (5 or so) going into battery problems with WPA ammo, both when the slide release was used and when the slide was racked
manually. They were remedied by simply pushing the slide forward. There were no other problems in extraction or anything like that.
This is a relatively speaking new gun with less than 1000 rounds though it and had been oiled (lightly) a couple weeks prior to the range trip.
Is this a common problem with the steel cased ammo or symptomatic of a larger problem?
I have a handgun class coming up and want to get any issues taken care of before hand.
Thanks

orionz06
07-17-2012, 10:07 PM
There is a lot more friction between the cases. I keep the gun wetter and have few issues.

LittleLebowski
07-18-2012, 06:54 AM
I own three G19s. A Gen2, an older Gen3, and a Gen4. All run with Wolf.

NMBigfoot02
07-18-2012, 07:03 AM
There is a lot more friction between the cases. I keep the gun wetter and have few issues.

This. I have the same issues running WPA in my M&P9c. Extra lube always fixes it. It also helps suspend the extra carbon from the Wolf ammo.

RochPersDef
07-18-2012, 11:41 AM
This is great! My first post can possibly help someone!

As an Armorer for Glock, I'd like a couple things:

Which Gen is your G19? 3 or 4?
Have you checked it with other ammo types? Wolf can be widely different from most of the other ammo. Their tolerances are quite wider than most. (remember, you DO get what you pay for!)
DO this simple test - carefully:
1. UNLOAD your Glock and check it until you are sure it is empty. Remove all ammo from your immediate area please.
2. 'Rack' your slide three to four times as a backup plan.
3. Point the G19 in a safe direction and press the trigger. Hold it to the rear (do not let it reset)
4. Elevate the muzzle to about 60 degrees or so from the ground.
5. Pull back on the slide (while still keeping the trigger pressed to the rear) and then slooooowly let it come forward.
6. If the slide does not go fully forward and stops about 3/8 or so from doing so, your recoil spring is bad or weak.
7. If the slide DOES go into battery, then your spring is fine.

Solutions?

Make sure the gun is clean and oiled as per specs.
Don't smack the back of the slide to go into battery, that builds a very bad habit and can be dangerous.
I suggest switching ammo. Blazer, or any of the mainstream ones should work well.
There is the chance you got a bad batch of ammo too. That's another reason I don't use Wolf in any of my firearms.

Let me know if you need more help?

Dave

helothar
07-18-2012, 12:23 PM
This is great! My first post can possibly help someone!

As an Armorer for Glock, I'd like a couple things:

Which Gen is your G19? 3 or 4?
Have you checked it with other ammo types? Wolf can be widely different from most of the other ammo. Their tolerances are quite wider than most. (remember, you DO get what you pay for!)
DO this simple test - carefully:
1. UNLOAD your Glock and check it until you are sure it is empty. Remove all ammo from your immediate area please.
2. 'Rack' your slide three to four times as a backup plan.
3. Point the G19 in a safe direction and press the trigger. Hold it to the rear (do not let it reset)
4. Elevate the muzzle to about 60 degrees or so from the ground.
5. Pull back on the slide (while still keeping the trigger pressed to the rear) and then slooooowly let it come forward.
6. If the slide does not go fully forward and stops about 3/8 or so from doing so, your recoil spring is bad or weak.
7. If the slide DOES go into battery, then your spring is fine.

Solutions?

Make sure the gun is clean and oiled as per specs.
Don't smack the back of the slide to go into battery, that builds a very bad habit and can be dangerous.
I suggest switching ammo. Blazer, or any of the mainstream ones should work well.
There is the chance you got a bad batch of ammo too. That's another reason I don't use Wolf in any of my firearms.

Let me know if you need more help?

Dave

Thanks a lot. I tried the test and the slide does go all the way forward so it seems the recoil spring is fine. The gun is a gen3 serial starting with N.
This was my first time shooting wolf through it, in the previous round mixture of WWB, federal and Golden Saber I hadn't had any problems. I'm going to take it out and
try some brass cased next week and I'll report back how it goes.

Thanks everyone!

Josh Runkle
07-18-2012, 12:46 PM
I don't mean this to be a smart a$$...

"Glock 19 not going into battery with wolf"

...then don't use it!

Seriously. There's no point in trying to work out all the details in amending the situation. Just use something else.

It's cool to find out "why" it doesn't work...as far as general knowledge goes...but, don't waste your time trying to make something work, when it could be fixed by trying a box of something else.

I don't mean that to be glib, I just mean that: "In the same way it's easier/better/more productive to trash bad mags instead of trying to fix them", do the same with ammo. Move on.

NMBigfoot02
07-18-2012, 01:37 PM
I don't mean this to be a smart a$$...

"Glock 19 not going into battery with wolf"

...then don't use it!

Seriously. There's no point in trying to work out all the details in amending the situation. Just use something else.

It's cool to find out "why" it doesn't work...as far as general knowledge goes...but, don't waste your time trying to make something work, when it could be fixed by trying a box of something else.

I don't mean that to be glib, I just mean that: "In the same way it's easier/better/more productive to trash bad mags instead of trying to fix them", do the same with ammo. Move on.

It's certainly useful in training for malfunction drills.

JMS
07-18-2012, 03:30 PM
I has similar instances with a Gen4 G19, and was able to eliminate the gun or any of it's components as the culprit. I took other steps...

At a Noel Robleto class I attended this year, there was also a DoS gent. In this case, we were both shooting M&Ps, and he was using Wolf. Point being, we'd each noted a trend in Glocks where they might occasionally not go into battery with steel-case, and a trend in M&Ps where the steel cases would bind in the steel magazines going in (to the point that you couldn't jam them to capacity, and they'd sound like maracas of you shook them). Turns out we'd each brain-farted our way to deciding to prep any steel-case ammo prior to jamming mags, and did so in a similar fashion, though I think his way was the smarter.

I'd put some lube on a paper towel, toss that into doubled plastic grocery bags, add ammo, and go to town like this ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=978uQUK231M ), then jam mags.

His way was more...dignified...though I think it lacked the lead-in for dick jokes and movie references. He used one of these (http://www.cabelas.com/cleaning-kits-accessories-hoppes-silicone-gun-reel-cloth-2.shtml) in a Tupperware container, would add ammo and give it a shake or three.

Honestly, his way was a better way of doing it, if it was to be done at all. Neither of us was doing anything dumb like soaking the ammo, but I fretted a bit that I would need to expend what I'd lube quickly, to ensure none was ruined by lubricant getting into it. I don't think that's nearly as likely to occur with silicone, though he would also only prep ammo he knew was gonna get used in short order.

Ultimately, we each were of the same mind to just not use steel-case ammo any more. He was on his last 300 rounds, I'd been getting nothing but brass-cased ammo for about 8mos. That's statement of fact, not advocacy.

JV_
07-18-2012, 03:34 PM
a trend in M&Ps where the steel cases would bind in the steel magazines going in (to the point that you couldn't jam them to capacity, and they'd sound like maracas of you shook them).FWIW: My M&Ps would do this with Federal AE ammo too.

Corvus
07-22-2012, 11:42 PM
I purchased a case of Wolf .40 ammo....ONCE