PDA

View Full Version : OC spray and the expiration dates

fatdog
05-07-2021, 07:58 AM
I was wondering what the pepper spray guru's think about the expiration dates the manufacturers put on the cans and true loss of efficacy.

Specifically we have a bunch of Sabre Red and Blue Face units. I am probably going to replace all of the units that are out of date now, but I was wondering if it is out of date means highly likely to be less effective or if it leans in the direction of that is the approach the makers use to insure you are turning their product.

What really caused me to question this is the fact that the POM guys have no expiration date. They recommend replacement in 18-24 months but specifically state that is due to the likely damage to the case, not the deterioration of the contents.

blues
05-07-2021, 08:13 AM
I was wondering what the pepper spray guru's think about the expiration dates the manufacturers put on the cans and true loss of efficacy.

Specifically we have a bunch of Sabre Red and Blue Face units. I am probably going to replace all of the units that are out of date now, but I was wondering if it is out of date means highly likely to be less effective or if it leans in the direction of that is the approach the makers use to insure you are turning their product.

What really caused me to question this is the fact that the POM guys have no expiration date. They recommend replacement in 18-24 months but specifically state that is due to the likely damage to the case, not the deterioration of the contents.

POM has an expiration date stamped on the bottom of the metal cylinder which can be pulled from the plastic housing to check it, and put back.

Also, I am not an expert here, but I think the concern is more that the propellant may not be effective, more so than the pepper spray itself not having the desired effect.

Others with more knowledge will chime in.

secondstoryguy
05-07-2021, 08:22 AM
I've had exposures to both expired sprays and OC/CS canisters (grenades) with no loss of effectiveness. Although I would not feel bad about carrying a slightly expired can, the main concern I have isn't the expiration of the contents but the condition of the propellant (losing pressure over time) and the plastic spray unit. I say this as I check the expiration date on the can on my duty belt.....

ST911
05-07-2021, 08:34 AM
Anecdotal on expired OC...

No perceived decrease in solution effectiveness in training and suspect applications.
Some changes in distance, dispersion, reliability of multiple discharges, and waste in the can with increased age.
Susceptibility to above varies mostly by container size. Mk4s seem to go the distance better than others. ASP key defenders peter out quick.
A few years expired is NBD for duty size canisters (mk4/3), pocket size vary.
Some manufacturer variance with the above.

A year or so ago, I found a 2002 mk4 can of BodyGuard LE-10 stream. I test fired it and got strong, annoying stream of product and was able to drain almost the whole can. I have another 2002 can (cone or fog) still in wrapper that I've held onto.

Hope that helps.

Guerrero
05-07-2021, 09:33 AM

I trust what Chuck Haggard says. Start at 6:38 and watch for about 3 or so minutes:

https://youtu.be/hZLM8cN-iDk?t=398

Chuck Haggard
05-07-2021, 12:46 PM
POM does have an expiration date on the can, in tiny printing on the bottom.

The issue is loss of pressure issues due to valving and O rings.

I have in fact seen this be an issue in the past.

Coyotesfan97
05-07-2021, 03:02 PM
In the chemical agent instructor classes I’ve attended it was said the pressure of the propellant is the reason for the expiration date. I’ve seen long expired canisters function normally but I’ve also seen OC dribble out the nozzle.

Phred
05-08-2021, 07:00 AM
As others have said, my experience is that it is usually the canister, seals, or propellant that degrades or leaks out over time, rather than the OC itself degrading or going bad. I’ve witnessed numerous “expired” canisters of OC spray used in training. Some of the cans had no pressure in them to propel the spray. The ones that still sprayed were just as effective as “in date” cans.

fatdog
05-08-2021, 09:14 AM
Thanks for the insight, you guys have convinced me that a complete dump and replace is in order since all of mine are at least 2 years past expiration, and why.

I cannot figure out how to get this POM thing out of its case but mine were purchased in the last year from reputable sources.

Glenn E. Meyer
05-08-2021, 09:16 AM
I had Fox for most of the household family sprays and they would fizzle in a year or two. Moved to Sabre.

blues
05-08-2021, 09:17 AM
Thanks for the insight, you guys have convinced me that a complete dump and replace is in order since all of mine are at least 2 years past expiration, and why.

I cannot figure out how to get this POM thing out of its case but mine were purchased in the last year from reputable sources.

fatdog

Twist and pull off the bottom part of the plastic housing below the color band. It's just a friction fit. Then just push it back on.

MDFA
05-12-2021, 02:04 PM
My training and experience as an OC Instructor is loss of pressure over time. I've never seen the product itself to be less effective.

Guerrero
05-12-2021, 02:21 PM
I'm glad this topic came up. I tested out a couple of my older units, and, sure enough, they just dribbled out. Going to use them on some spots in my yard to keep out critters.

Time to buy some replacements.

BillSWPA
05-28-2021, 04:52 PM
Glad this topic came up, as it caused me to replace a bunch of expired stuff. I tried each of the expired units, and found that the Sabre seems to have the best chance of having adequate propellant past its expiration date. ASP Key Defender refills seem to have about a 50% chance of having little propellant remaining about a year past the expiration date.

For those of you who, like me, sometimes give pepper spray to relatives who are not self defense hobbyists, those relatives should also be aware of the expiration dates and likely loss of propellant if those dates are not monitored or perhaps added to a calendar.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Elwin
05-28-2021, 07:56 PM
For those of you who, like me, sometimes give pepper spray to relatives who are not self defense hobbyists, those relatives should also be aware of the expiration dates and likely loss of propellant if those dates are not monitored or perhaps added to a calendar.

Definitely. I send the occasional PSA text to the family chat reminding to look at expiration dates, and also to give the units a good rattlecan shake every once in a while. Helps that they’re all using POMs, which are cheap and easy to just throw in an Amazon cart.

I have a running list of dates for mine. One that’s within a few months gets its date written on it with permanent marker so I don’t miss it.

TheNewbie
12-22-2021, 07:49 PM
A guy I know sprayed an aggressive dog today. Spray was from 1997!

It must have worked because he was also feeling the side effects of it.

P30
12-22-2021, 09:36 PM
A guy I know sprayed an aggressive dog today. Spray was from 1997!

It must have worked because he was also feeling the side effects of it.
Which brand was it? I had an unused can of Sabre Red which lost its pressure much sooner. I tested it after the expiration date. I forgot the exact number of years. But I'm sure it was less than 10 years old and probably less than 5 years above its expiration date.

TheNewbie
12-29-2021, 09:18 PM
Which brand was it? I had an unused can of Sabre Red which lost its pressure much sooner. I tested it after the expiration date. I forgot the exact number of years. But I'm sure it was less than 10 years old and probably less than 5 years above its expiration date.

My apologies for the late reply.

I checked the bottle but it was sticky and nasty from the pepper spray. It was something like "Pepper Mace Defense". Not a name I recognized, but it is over two decades old.