PDA

View Full Version : RUGER TALO GP100 3"

RONK
04-28-2021, 09:31 AM
Hi,guys,Ruger in conjunction with TALO is coming out with a GP100 3" Blue FO front sight 40177.

HCM
04-28-2021, 09:41 AM
Hi,guys,Ruger in conjunction with TALO is coming out with a GP100 3" Blue FO front sight 40177.

Could not find that on the Talo site but I did find this which is interesting:

Wiley Clapp GP100 SS refresh #1789

357, 3 inch, full lug, Novak Tritium Big Dot yellow front, Low mount fixed rear, melted cylinder treatment, compact rubber, 7 shot. stainless.

soon to be the stardard for .357 carry.

Just on order. production - 30 days

http://www.taloinc.com/ruger-firearms/wiley-clapp-gp100-ss-refresh-1789

RONK
04-28-2021, 09:57 AM
We received a notification from one of our distributors,Camfour about the revolver.Additionaly,6 rounds and adjustable sights.

jh9
04-28-2021, 09:58 AM
Could not find that on the Talo site but I did find this which is interesting:

Wiley Clapp GP100 SS refresh #1789

http://www.taloinc.com/ruger-firearms/wiley-clapp-gp100-ss-refresh-1789

Sounds like they're pretty confident Ruger has the 7-shot-rimlock thing under control.

awp_101
04-28-2021, 10:27 AM
I regret I have but only so much plasma to give sell.

LittleLebowski
04-28-2021, 10:27 AM
I’d prefer six shot, but I’ll prolly get one.

Nephrology
04-28-2021, 10:28 AM
I need to grab one of these so I don't miss out like I did on the last run...

Dave T
04-28-2021, 10:35 AM
If you can stand the size and weight that pretty much covers what a self-defense 357 Magnum is all about. I'm not a Ruger person anymore but that is a bit tempting.

Dave

Guerrero
04-28-2021, 10:39 AM
We received a notification from one of our distributors,Camfour about the revolver.Additionaly,6 rounds and adjustable sights.

RONK can you confirm 6-shot?

Poconnor
04-28-2021, 10:44 AM
They need to make a run of six shot 3” Wiley Clapps and Adj sight GP100’s

RONK
04-28-2021, 11:12 AM
Sorry,wrong part number,the correct one is 01790(40177 is a TALO MK IV).Guerrero,sir,yes definitely a 6 shot.

Crow Hunter
04-28-2021, 12:28 PM
Sorry,wrong part number,the correct one is 01790(40177 is a TALO MK IV).Guerrero,sir,yes definitely a 6 shot.

Any indication of when they will be available?

HCM
04-28-2021, 12:40 PM
Sounds like they're pretty confident Ruger has the 7-shot-rimlock thing under control.

Looks that way. We had multiple threads about it.

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?44399-Are-GP100-7-shot-357-s-reliable-now

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?46384-Difference-in-cylinder-diameter-between-Ruger-GP100-6-shot-vs-7-shot

Summary: The original 7 shot had the same size cylinder (and presumably the same frame)as the 6 shot GP100. The newer / current production 7 shots have a slightly larger cylinder, which apparently a required moving the forcing cone location making it 7 shot specific frame. This is likely why Ruger was replacing the early problem guns instead of just swapping cylinders.

On another note, give it a few years and Ruger collectors will be paying top dollar for rare "original" 7 shot "Rim Lock" GP-100s.........

jlw
04-28-2021, 01:09 PM
A six shot in that configuration would be interesting to me. I have no interest in a seven shot version.

LittleLebowski
04-28-2021, 01:12 PM
A six shot in that configuration would be interesting to me. I have no interest in a seven shot version.

I have the six shot, I recommend it.

HCM
04-28-2021, 01:15 PM

I'd be curious to know how many Talo exclusives are initiated at the request of Talo because they think it's what customers want and how many are initiated by Ruger to move products that are not moving because customers don't want them in standard configurations ?

For example, is Ruger only making this configuration as a means to move a surplus of 7 shot guns / frames/ cylinders ?

JRB
04-28-2021, 02:45 PM
I'd be curious to know how many Talo exclusives are initiated at the request of Talo because they think it's what customers want and how many are initiated by Ruger to move products that are not moving because customers don't want them in standard configurations ?

For example, is Ruger only making this configuration as a means to move a surplus of 7 shot guns / frames/ cylinders ?

I suspect both, via a market surveillance + production management sort of process.

e.g.
Marketing guy: "Guys, lots of dudes on the internet are clamoring for 3in .357's, can we do that?"

Production guy: "Sure, we've got a lot of the 7 shot frames that aren't selling, we can put 3in barrels on those and see what happens!"

farscott
04-28-2021, 03:45 PM
My FFL cannot get any GP100 revolvers, so I am not sure I need to worry about being tempted by this one. The display case used to be full of DA revolvers; last time I was there, there was one S&W 640 and one blued SP101. I have not seen a GP100, new or used, in 2021. Nor a S&W K-frame, L-frame, N-frame, or X-frame. Nor a Kimber and the FFL is a Kimber "Master Dealer" or whatever the program is called now.

Crazy Dane
04-28-2021, 04:50 PM
I suspect these will go straight to gun joker at price that will make my Python look like a steal... I'm not sure that I wouldn't trade though.

03RN
04-28-2021, 05:41 PM
That is a good looking gun

Lester Polfus
04-28-2021, 05:44 PM
I suspect these will go straight to gun joker at price that will make my Python look like a steal... I'm not sure that I wouldn't trade though.

Considering Impact Guns is pricing .357 2" LCRs at the eye-watering price of $668, I suspect you are correct.

ETA: Considering I got the "in stock" email over two hours ago, and as of right now there are still some in-stock, maybe that means things are headed toward leveling off. A couple months ago they would have sold out almost instantly at that price.

vtfarmer
04-28-2021, 06:52 PM

If the 7 shot guns weren't moving, there would be some inventory sitting around. Gallery of Guns is one of Rugers' main distributors. They have been showing "No Inventory" for the 7 and 6 shot GP models since last fall. If they weren't selling, why aren't they piled up at the distributors?

HCM
04-28-2021, 07:34 PM
If the 7 shot guns weren't moving, there would be some inventory sitting around. Gallery of Guns is one of Rugers' main distributors. They have been showing "No Inventory" for the 7 and 6 shot GP models since last fall. If they weren't selling, why aren't they piled up at the distributors?

Not necessarily with “just in time” inventory systems.

vtfarmer
04-28-2021, 07:53 PM
Not necessarily with “just in time” inventory systems.

In the first place, if it were "just in time" inventory the guns would be labeled as available. In the second place, that's not how Gallery of Guns does it as a distributor. I've bought several guns from them through their network on past years. Say the 7 shot 4", to pick a model. I check their site, inventory is 0, keep checking and one day there are 36 in inventory. That number will go down one and two at a time until they're all gone. Then it's wait for the next batch.

HCM
04-28-2021, 09:33 PM
In the first place, if it were "just in time" inventory the guns would be labeled as available. In the second place, that's not how Gallery of Guns does it as a distributor. I've bought several guns from them through their network on past years. Say the 7 shot 4", to pick a model. I check their site, inventory is 0, keep checking and one day there are 36 in inventory. That number will go down one and two at a time until they're all gone. Then it's wait for the next batch.

I’m talking about the manufacturer.

Poconnor
04-29-2021, 10:56 AM
I hope hope Davidson’s Gallery of Guns goes back allowing you to order right off their website again. They have the 7 shot WC listed as out of stock

vtfarmer
04-29-2021, 12:15 PM
I hope hope Davidson’s Gallery of Guns goes back allowing you to order right off their website again. They have the 7 shot WC listed as out of stock

You and me both. Just for the heck of it last night on GOG I clicked on "Item search". Entered RUGER and REVOLVER and DOUBLE ACTION in the boxes. I got 11 pages of results, 6 models to a page. 66 models, every-single-one was listed as "out of stock". It appears that as fast as guns come in from Ruger, they're immediately sent right out to fill gun shop orders. Nothing stays around long enough to be listed as inventory.

LittleLebowski
04-29-2021, 12:27 PM

Their website does not inspire confidence.

BehindBlueI's
04-30-2021, 05:58 AM
Meh. 7 shot means my speed loaders won't work and I wish they'd put the "read instruction manual" roll mark in a less visible place. Especially on the stainless versions it's an eye sore.

LittleLebowski
04-30-2021, 06:00 AM
Meh. 7 shot means my speed loaders won't work and I wish they'd put the "read instruction manual" roll mark in a less visible place. Especially on the stainless versions it's an eye sore.

Concur, fervently. I loathe the "read instruction manual" bit.

jh9
04-30-2021, 06:32 AM

JCN can take that billboard off with a little angle grinder and bondo.

I kid, I kid. JCN you're awesome. Keep living your best life one mad science project at a time.

jh9
04-30-2021, 06:35 AM
Looks that way. We had multiple threads about it.

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?44399-Are-GP100-7-shot-357-s-reliable-now

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?46384-Difference-in-cylinder-diameter-between-Ruger-GP100-6-shot-vs-7-shot

Summary: The original 7 shot had the same size cylinder (and presumably the same frame)as the 6 shot GP100. The newer / current production 7 shots have a slightly larger cylinder, which apparently a required moving the forcing cone location making it 7 shot specific frame. This is likely why Ruger was replacing the early problem guns instead of just swapping cylinders.

On another note, give it a few years and Ruger collectors will be paying top dollar for rare "original" 7 shot "Rim Lock" GP-100s.........

Interesting.

I guess one of the benefits to this drought is that by the time I see a new one of these for sale it should have the updated frame

https://www.ruger.com/products/gp100/specSheets/1782.html

CSW
04-30-2021, 07:12 AM
This the reason, after more than 20 years, I've never parted with this Security Six in 2 3/4. Quite possibly the perfect sized do all .357.

Well worth the $125.00 I paid for it used, so many years ago.

If I could just find some better sights than the originals.

LittleLebowski
04-30-2021, 07:33 AM
JCN can take that billboard off with a little angle grinder and bondo.

I kid, I kid. JCN you're awesome. Keep living your best life one mad science project at a time.

Correction. #WeirdScience (https://pistol-forum.com/usertag.php?do=list&action=hash&hash=WeirdScience)

vtfarmer
04-30-2021, 07:48 AM

On my SP101 that I bought in 2017, the "read instruction manual" line is on the flat underneath the barrel. You have to turn the gun sideways to see it. I can live with that. I wish they would do that on the GP100s'.

vtfarmer
04-30-2021, 12:24 PM
This the reason, after more than 20 years, I've never parted with this Security Six in 2 3/4. Quite possibly the perfect sized do all .357.

Well worth the $125.00 I paid for it used, so many years ago.

If I could just find some better sights than the originals.

Did you ever see any of the old Millet front sights that came in reddish-orange and white? They show up on ebay occasionally. I've found enough on there to have them on all my GP100s'. One listing was for both GP and Security Six front sights, so to get the sights I wanted I ended up with Security Six sights in each color that I have no use for. Just throwing that out for consideration.

Poconnor
04-30-2021, 01:43 PM
Vtfarmer- PM sent about the sights

CSW
04-30-2021, 01:58 PM
Pm inbound.

Stephanie B
04-30-2021, 03:16 PM

Which is why I won't give up my circa 1976 Convertible Blackhawk and why, when the LGS had a used pre-billboard Security Six in the display case, I jumped on it like it was a steak and I hadn't eaten for three days.

Nephrology
05-01-2021, 09:50 AM
Which is why I won't give up my circa 1976 Convertible Blackhawk and why, when the LGS had a used pre-billboard Security Six in the display case, I jumped on it like it was a steak and I hadn't eaten for three days.

I still really want to own a GP100 or similar with the Southport, Conn. rollmark. Ditto re: a Colt AR + 1911 and the hartford stampings. Not badly enough to have bought any of these yet... but one day

TwoKidneyKid
06-05-2021, 07:23 PM
Any news on this?

Dave T
06-06-2021, 05:00 PM
I only hear crickets.

Of course they'll blame it on Covid. That's the excuse for the rest of the "back order economy" we have now.

Dave

azerious
06-12-2021, 03:47 PM
I know the cylinder is like .05" wider post fix, will that allow it to still fit in GP100 6 shot holsters such as JM AIWB's?

Crazy Dane
06-12-2021, 04:06 PM
I know the cylinder is like .05" wider post fix, will that allow it to still fit in GP100 6 shot holsters such as JM AIWB's?

My 6 shot WC measures 1.549 and my 3" .44 special measures 1.587. I just got a George from JMCK and it would work for both guns if the flutes were not molded into the holster or the .44 had a fluted cylinder. There is plenty of room for the cylinder and I would say as long as the flutes are in the same place it would work. I am tempted to email Tony to see what the best process is to remover the flutes.

Leroy
06-12-2021, 06:34 PM
My 6 shot WC measures 1.549 and my 3" .44 special measures 1.587. I just got a George from JMCK and it would work for both guns if the flutes were not molded into the holster or the .44 had a fluted cylinder. There is plenty of room for the cylinder and I would say as long as the flutes are in the same place it would work. I am tempted to email Tony to see what the best process is to remover the flutes.

If the flutes impede the cylinder from rotating it would prevent an inadvertent cocking of the hammer in the holster. Food for thought, not necessarily something I would worry about, no such feature available for DA/SA autos.

JWintergreen
06-12-2021, 10:43 PM

The blue Talo GP100 is now pictured on the Lipseys website. It is model number 1790 and it turns out that it has a 2.5" barrel. I find it a bit interesting that Lipseys/Talo are offering many of these shorter barrelled and half lug exclusives in blue only, and not brushed stainless.

I'm sure that the new brushed stainless, seven shot Wiley Clapp II (model no. 1789) will be a good seller. I am glad that Ruger finally ponied up and made the frame changes to fix the GP100 seven shooters. I had been hoping that Ruger would come out with a competitor to the 686 Plus for many years. I must confess that my hopes for this model (and a subsequent fix for the early GP seven shooters) were based in the thought that it would make more folks see that there is a bit of a gap in the Ruger double action lineup. If Ruger can make a frame revision to slightly increase the cylinder diameter of the GP, they can do the same for another model that falls between it and the LCR. ;)

JWintergreen
06-13-2021, 05:31 PM
The 3" Wiley Clapp II is available on Grabagun for $884.99. That is very close to MSRP, but at least it is available. Grabagun made a mistake and labeled it as a six shot.

JWintergreen
06-13-2021, 05:36 PM
LOL

Just refreshed the page

Crow Hunter
06-26-2021, 09:14 PM
There are several on Gunbroker now. Starting bid is $999. Does look nice. Wish I could see one in person.

JWintergreen
06-28-2021, 03:53 PM
I just thought that I would point out (for historical purposes), that since Ruger's MSRP hike, GP100s are now more expensive than S&W 686 revolvers. For example, a basic blued 4.25" 6 shot GP (model no. 1702) has an MSRP of $929.00, and a stainless 4.25" 686 Plus has an MSRP of $894.00. The comparable seven shot GP has an MSRP of $1,039.00. I never thought I would live to see that.

We are truly nearing the end times...