PDA

View Full Version : Glock ejector wear

MDS
07-16-2012, 02:16 PM
So I have a gen3 G19 that's been fine for maybe 7K rounds, including all but the first 1/2 day at Rogers School. It's recently started stovepiping, maybe once every 50-100 rounds on average. The RSA hadn't been replaced since it was new, so I put a new one in but honestly I'm not confident that it's the problem. So I took the gun apart apart, along with my other G19s for comparison, and one thing that stands out is some wear on the 336 ejector. I'll be ordering a Gen4 trigger housing to scavenge the new ejector, but in the meanwhile I'm wondering if anyone who, you know, unlike me, actually knows what they're talking about, has any ideas about this wear. Is it normal?

Thanks in advance!

JBP55
07-16-2012, 07:40 PM
I have changed a few dozen and none looked like yours.

ToddG
07-16-2012, 08:35 PM
Is that buildup or metal shaving away? If the former, try giving it a serious soak in cleaning solution for half an hour and then cleaning it.

But if metal is being removed, I'd definitely begin by replacing the part. You may also want to inspect possible interference points to see if you've got a burr somewhere that is causing the marks on the ejector.

MDS
07-17-2012, 06:38 AM
Is that buildup or metal shaving away? If the former, try giving it a serious soak in cleaning solution for half an hour and then cleaning it.

But if metal is being removed, I'd definitely begin by replacing the part. You may also want to inspect possible interference points to see if you've got a burr somewhere that is causing the marks on the ejector.

It's definitely metal shaving away. I took a few pictures and couldn't get the lighting right, so it's hard to tell, but it's very clearly a series of scratches in the forward/backward direction. Here's a zoomed picture of the extractor.

I spent 10 minutes trying to figure out where it rubs, and couldn't tell for sure. There's definitely wiggle room in the gun between the top and bottom when assembled - it rattles slightly when shaken vigorously side to side. At the wrong angle the extractor hits something when sliding into the top during assembly - I'm guessing it's the ridge along the bottom face of the slide...?

In any case, I'm glad it's not normal - hopefully this explains the recent stovepipes. I've got a spare housing with 336 ejector that I was going to use to replace the chipped ejector on my jam-o-matic 19Gen2. But I'd rather regain confidence in my main gun, so the jam-o-matic will remain my remedial action practice gun for now, and I'll play Dr. House with that gun later.

On a related note - does anyone know where I can order a 9mm gen4 trigger housing with extractor? All the usual places I know of are sold out (Glockmeister doesn't say so, but IME they list out-of-stock parts without telling you they're out of stock...)

Thanks!

EMC
07-17-2012, 09:46 AM
It's definitely metal shaving away. I took a few pictures and couldn't get the lighting right, so it's hard to tell, but it's very clearly a series of scratches in the forward/backward direction. Here's a zoomed picture of the extractor.

I spent 10 minutes trying to figure out where it rubs, and couldn't tell for sure. There's definitely wiggle room in the gun between the top and bottom when assembled - it rattles slightly when shaken vigorously side to side. At the wrong angle the extractor hits something when sliding into the top during assembly - I'm guessing it's the ridge along the bottom face of the slide...?

In any case, I'm glad it's not normal - hopefully this explains the recent stovepipes. I've got a spare housing with 336 ejector that I was going to use to replace the chipped ejector on my jam-o-matic 19Gen2. But I'd rather regain confidence in my main gun, so the jam-o-matic will remain my remedial action practice gun for now, and I'll play Dr. House with that gun later.

On a related note - does anyone know where I can order a 9mm gen4 trigger housing with extractor? All the usual places I know of are sold out (Glockmeister doesn't say so, but IME they list out-of-stock parts without telling you they're out of stock...)

Thanks!

Lone wolf distributor's site says they'll be back in stock tomorrow if you can wait one more day:
http://www.lonewolfdist.com/Products.aspx?CAT=200

MDS
07-17-2012, 09:21 PM
Lone wolf distributor's site says they'll be back in stock tomorrow if you can wait one more day:
http://www.lonewolfdist.com/Products.aspx?CAT=200

Why wait? The part became available today at glockparts.com - along with 9mm extractors and the HRED. :D

Let the amateur gunsmithing begin! (Somebody's got to supply the drama around here, since Todd's 1911's are trending towards boringly reliable... :cool:)

ToddG
07-17-2012, 09:58 PM
...since Todd's 1911's are trending towards boringly reliable

http://www.croydonguardian.co.uk/resources/images/2013111/?type=articleLandscape

MDS
07-17-2012, 11:38 PM
http://www.croydonguardian.co.uk/resources/images/2013111/?type=articleLandscape

Hehe, should've saved that pic for the upcoming Deagle endurance test. ;)