PDA

View Full Version : Why is Nothing Available To Buy?

Sanch
04-24-2021, 03:46 PM
Why is it for the last 6 months, I can’t find anything, specific stripped upper receivers, barrels, rails, silencer covers, etc?

Are companies not making stuff? Can they not get raw materials? Is it like housing where timber is so expensive and unobtainable? Are companies using contract manufactures and they’re all busy with other projects for non-gun stuff?

Are companies not able to get their employees to come to work, which I know is a problem with restaurant business now?

I’m talking about places like Noveske, Daniel Defense, Geissele, BCM, nothing seems to be in stock. Good luck finding plate carriers and nylon gear even from a lot of places.

Are they making the same stock as 2019 but demand is up due to stimmies and BLM and ban threats? And if so, why haven’t they increased output? Are they afraid they’ll overshoot demand and be stuck with stock?

I’m paying double to triple retail prices on accessories and gun parts on gunbroker. It seems like ramping up production, even if it means paying overtime, and overpaying for raw material, and raising prices by 50% would be better than “scalpers” doubling or tripling their profits.

Or is it a matter that people are stupid and blame companies for raising prices during high demand, and “price gouging” and “screw you X company, we’ll remember how you raised ammo prices during Newton and we’ll boycott you once demand ends. So instead the companies say, screw it, if we’re not “allowed” to raise prices without emotional backlash, we’ll just produce a limited number and sell out instantly at “retail” price and even if bots buy up our stock and flip on eBay for triple, you can’t get mad at us because we’re not the ones gouging you.

Caballoflaco
04-24-2021, 03:56 PM
If you don’t already have a hot robot prostitute and lots of machine guns to accompany you through the desert wasteland by now you’re pretty much fucked.

The truth is that the global supply lines for most manufactured goods are running months behind and at least double the prices of a year ago. Now is the time to be happy with what you have and not stress about what you think you need, but that is beyond what you can control.

joshs
04-24-2021, 03:58 PM
Most companies are producing at maximum capacity for their current operations. Adding capacity beyond that point usually means large outlays to buy more manufacturing capacity, and, even when they think that might make sense, it takes time. Demand in the firearms industry is very tricky. Several businesses have hit very hard times because they tried to expand to meet demand during boom times only to struggle once demand shrunk.

Ammunition is even worse because of the limited producers of primers and powder. Most "powder companies" don't make powder, and a lot of the more advanced powders that the industry relies on have to be imported from Australia, Sweden, and Finland.

Duelist
04-24-2021, 04:10 PM
Increased demand in the form of layers of panic buying stimulated by various causes over extended periods of time combined with more limited numbers of workers able to go to work or allowed to go to work along with more limited resources available and increased cost for all raw materials equals less manufactured goods availability across all industries. Volatile markets such as firearms, ammunition, and then accessories show it first, like a canary in a coal mine, but we are seeing it in other manufactured goods as well now, such as the automotive industry and even microchips. No end in sight right now, and probably firearms will be artificially extended in the shortages due to the resident genius in the White House.

Might be time to take up a new hobby. I hear gardening is relaxing.

Rex G
04-24-2021, 04:36 PM
Now and then, I get in-stock notices, via e-mail, from Primary Arms (mostly AR15/M4 stuff, such as the LMT Advanced BCG) and Midway USA, for ammo. Some stuff is trickling through the supply chain, but it gets bought, quickly and enthusiastically. Fortunately, we are not without adequate AR15/M4 parts/supplies, unless multiple family members want to start high-volume training.

It ain’t just gun stuff. Try getting an authentic Nikon EN-EL18c battery, for Nikon D4-series, D5, and D6 cameras. These are “smart” batteries, not just reservoirs of power, so not all knock-offs will be compatible with cameras’ firmware updates, and one has to be wary of counterfeits. Fortunately, I had already bought spares, during 2018/2019.

Joe in PNG
04-24-2021, 04:46 PM
Basically, the supply chain for almost everything took a hit from Covid, and then the Suez canal got blocked.
This hits all the way down to the raw materials like ores and such.

And that's not counting the record high demand thanks to Covid worries, De-policing and riots, and that super smart & competent Biden guy we elected.

Totem Polar
04-24-2021, 05:23 PM
Owner of my magic LGS told me this morning that there’s a ship with a bunch of PMC ammo on it just waiting to be offloaded, things are so backed up. In addition to the other shit going on lately, there are record numbers of ships waiting to be unloaded on top of it all.

eg.

https://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/2021/04/20/record-number-of-cargo-ships-waiting-to-unload-at-port-of-oakland-may-delay-goods-for-months/

https://www.marketplace.org/2021/03/08/dozens-container-ships-waiting-unloaded-port-los-angeles/

idahojess
04-24-2021, 07:26 PM
Bicycles and bicycle parts are extremely scarce too.

I think there is plenty of toilet paper now, though. So we've got that going for us, which is nice.

HCM
04-24-2021, 07:37 PM
Why is it for the last 6 months, I can’t find anything, specific stripped upper receivers, barrels, rails, silencer covers, etc?

Are companies not making stuff? Can they not get raw materials? Is it like housing where timber is so expensive and unobtainable? Are companies using contract manufactures and they’re all busy with other projects for non-gun stuff?

Are companies not able to get their employees to come to work, which I know is a problem with restaurant business now?

I’m talking about places like Noveske, Daniel Defense, Geissele, BCM, nothing seems to be in stock. Good luck finding plate carriers and nylon gear even from a lot of places.

Are they making the same stock as 2019 but demand is up due to stimmies and BLM and ban threats? And if so, why haven’t they increased output? Are they afraid they’ll overshoot demand and be stuck with stock?

I’m paying double to triple retail prices on accessories and gun parts on gunbroker. It seems like ramping up production, even if it means paying overtime, and overpaying for raw material, and raising prices by 50% would be better than “scalpers” doubling or tripling their profits.

Or is it a matter that people are stupid and blame companies for raising prices during high demand, and “price gouging” and “screw you X company, we’ll remember how you raised ammo prices during Newton and we’ll boycott you once demand ends. So instead the companies say, screw it, if we’re not “allowed” to raise prices without emotional backlash, we’ll just produce a limited number and sell out instantly at “retail” price and even if bots buy up our stock and flip on eBay for triple, you can’t get mad at us because we’re not the ones gouging you.

Are you serious?

The same reason there are shortages and price increases with vehicles, building materials toilet paper etc.

COVID and the second and third order effects on supply chains of both finished goods and raw materials.

With guns and tactical gear you’ve also had a year of record demand with millions of first time gun owners and existing gun owners panic buying due to: COVID, civil unrest, civil war and gun bans.

This is just a more comprehensive version of what happens every Presidential election year and what happened after Sandy Hook in 2012/2013, the 1994 AWB, the 1989 AW import ban etc etc

For the past several years multiple people here on this forum have been talking about the post Sandy Hook shortages and panic buying and how people should stock up and buy what they want now while prices are reasonable.

RevolverRob
04-24-2021, 07:46 PM
Just depends on what you're looking for.

Ammo? Forget it.

Guns? Hit and miss, depends on the gun.

Reloading supplies? Yea no.

But I've had no trouble finding parts. I, admittedly, don't buy the highest end stuff. If I need rails/guards most of it is coming from Midwest Industries and they have most things in stock. Only thing I've had to wait on lately is a Tailhook Mod 1C and the Aimpoint Comp M5b. The latter was delayed due to covid and is only starting to trickle out in quantity.

But even most retailers are getting higher end bits in stock Hodge and SOLGW have been in stock at Weapons Outfitters and BigTexOutdoors off and on for the past 3-months.

Navin Johnson
04-24-2021, 08:49 PM
5k over seas container shipment is now 8k

All the containers are here so over seas has no containers to put stuff in

Off loading and distribution is way backed up if the stuff can get here.

Many company's are still light on people to load, ship and manufacture.

Demand came back faster than supply.

LJP
04-24-2021, 10:07 PM
The only thing that I absolutely haven’t been able to find is a Vltor A5 receiver extension, buffer, and spring combo to put on my SBR. Revolver ammo seems to be hard to come by, but most everything else can be found if your pockets are deep enough.

Sanch
04-24-2021, 11:05 PM
The only thing that I absolutely haven’t been able to find is a Vltor A5 receiver extension, buffer, and spring combo to put on my SBR. Revolver ammo seems to be hard to come by, but most everything else can be found if your pockets are deep enough.

I think I’ll take the advice of a poster above and play with the stuff I currently have. It’s unfortunate because I took some more/recent carbine training and realized I need longer rails than the 7” old stuff I had. So I won’t be able to revisit carbine training until next year or two when stuff comes back in, because I’ll just be gripping my existing gun the same way.

Geissele rails are unobtainable.

Barrels are tough. Was looking at BCM and Noveske.

I like upper receivers without forward assists (but with dust covers) and I haven’t seen a single one of those anywhere in stock, in spite of a handful of companies making them.

Took me forever to get night vision stuff and accessories squared away.

Looking for some of the more interesting tactical gear/plate carriers, has been a nightmare. Spiritus, Haley, Trex Arms, and a few others have been OOS.

I gained weight during covid lockdowns so I’ll just focus on fitness and get back to guns and gear in 2023. Honestly that’s a much better use of my time and energy anyway.

Outlier
04-26-2021, 06:37 PM
While not gun related I got to chat with a buddy of mine who works in the mattress business today. According to him there are supply issues on foam. The kind used in bedding, furniture, and automobiles. He's currently trying to order as much stock as he can manage.

Jared
04-26-2021, 06:48 PM
Where I work at we are having serious issues getting parts in. We’ve got a large part that we need in around the middle of summer. It’s made in Europe. Word is it’s expected to be built by early May. Chances are extremely small it makes it here on time. Even trying to air freight the thing isn’t necessarily guaranteeing that it gets here on time. I have no clue why air freight isn’t helping unless they’re backed up due to demand also.

All I know is we need the thing and getting it here is becoming a major problem.

RancidSumo
04-26-2021, 06:52 PM

https://bravocompanyusa.com/bcm-intermediate-receiver-extension-a5-buffer-tube/
https://www.primaryarms.com/vltor-a5-standard-weight-buffer-5.3-oz (they also have standard weight, H1, H3, and H4)

Springs are available all over the place (though Sprinco Green is currently OOS at Primary Arms). You can get a standard rifle spring for $5 from BCM when you order the RE.

I've been able to get pretty much anything I want with in-stock notifications.

Nephrology
04-26-2021, 07:10 PM
The most annoying gun product to go missing has been OEM glock parts. It's cheaper to just buy a whole new gun or complete frame.

theJanitor
04-26-2021, 07:18 PM
Geissele rails are unobtainable. unless you're looking for something weird, mk4/8/16 rails have been moderately easy to find

Barrels are tough. Was looking at BCM and Noveske. they are saving barrels for upper builds, but rosco, and other decent brands have been restocked regularly

I like upper receivers without forward assists (but with dust covers) and I haven’t seen a single one of those anywhere in stock, in spite of a handful of companies making them.

Took me forever to get night vision stuff and accessories squared away. this is true, but there has been a glut of restocks recently at TNVC, Steele, Nocturnality, WO, Bigtex, etc. lots of helmets are back in stock. Finding wilcox mounts has been a little hard

Looking for some of the more interesting tactical gear/plate carriers, has been a nightmare. Spiritus, Haley, Trex Arms, and a few others have been OOS. Spiritus has lv119 in stock, and ferro has restocked the FCPC. the JPC 2.0 has constantly been in stock at OPtactical

I gained weight during covid lockdowns so I’ll just focus on fitness and get back to guns and gear in 2023. Honestly that’s a much better use of my time and energy anyway. +1

Just get on the email lists, and use IG notifications. You'll get what you need

Odin Bravo One
04-26-2021, 07:38 PM
IGM....

LJP
04-26-2021, 10:46 PM
https://www.primaryarms.com/vltor-a5-standard-weight-buffer-5.3-oz (they also have standard weight, H1, H3, and H4)

Springs are available all over the place (though Sprinco Green is currently OOS at Primary Arms). You can get a standard rifle spring for $5 from BCM when you order the RE.

Thank you! I had been holding out for the full kit from BCM, but went ahead and ordered the components I needed. (The endplate and nut in the BCM Kit would have been superfluous anyway.)

OlongJohnson
04-26-2021, 11:43 PM
BCM tube also has an extra adjustment position or two compared to the Vltor tube.

The BCM complete kit comes with (off the top of my head) a lighter buffer than is Vltor's standard recommended starting point. I have never understood why they do that. But it means the tube from BCM and the buffer from wherever you can get it is the way to go.

ccmdfd
04-27-2021, 05:31 PM
Out of curiosity:

Anyone seen any stats as to what individual debt, etc is doing?

Wondering how much of the shortages are more demand driven, and if people are just going more and more into debt to buy more and more stuff. I've known a few people who have purchased new cars, new boats, new farm equipment, Etc this past year because of all the rebates, but they're still having to take out loans.

trailrunner
04-27-2021, 06:10 PM
The shortages have been in a wide range of markets. We bought a new sofa, but its delivery keeps getting delayed. Maybe it was stuck in the Suez Canal?

There is a shortage of bicycles and parts. I have more than a few bikes and thought about selling one or two. Last year, right before the pandemic, I had donated to a local charity a ton of used parts I had accumulated over the last 25 years. If I had held on to those parts, I could have sold them for a nice price.

Tennis shoes (for playing tennis, not general sneakers) are in short supply. I am having trouble finding a replacement pair for my current shoe, and about the only color I can find in my size (which is an average 9.5) is orange. My current shoes, which I bought in February, were a different brand than I wanted, but I couldn't find the brand I wanted anywhere, and projected delivery dates kept sliding to the right each time I looked, from January to March to April to May, when I finally gave up and went to plan B.

Nephrology
04-27-2021, 06:41 PM
Out of curiosity:

Anyone seen any stats as to what individual debt, etc is doing?

Wondering how much of the shortages are more demand driven, and if people are just going more and more into debt to buy more and more stuff. I've known a few people who have purchased new cars, new boats, new farm equipment, Etc this past year because of all the rebates, but they're still having to take out loans.

I remember looking at consumer debt at it seems to be a mixed bag. That may have changed recently ish though. I also wonder about the effect of mortgage/rent forbearance/what happens when that ends

Wise_A
04-28-2021, 11:12 AM
So I went to a Ford dealership yesterday to try and test drive a Powerboost. I was kind've not surprised that they didn't have one, as it's new-ish and I figure that a lot of people see it as the powertrain to get. I was concerned, however, that they had one vehicle in the showroom, no more than 20 trucks in inventory total (counting base XL work trucks), one Explorer, and one Mustang.

Wait time on a special-order PB is ~5 months. Job 1 on 2022 isn't expected until at least December, and that will possibly be delated. On the bright side, this means I can put even more down.

TAZ
04-28-2021, 11:38 AM
Almost all major companies play the just in time inventory game. Even distributors. Ain’t nobody just sitting on inventory for more than a few days. Now take a supposed 2 week shut down. Every distributor and their suppliers and their suppliers are now dry cause just in time. All those pumps need to be primed. How many layers of middlemen does each supply chain have? Add demand that is crazy. Add international bullkaka and politics.

We are going to have shortages for at least another year if not longer, assuming that various imbeciles in charge across the planet don’t go doing more stupid stuff.

Borderland
04-28-2021, 12:51 PM
So I went to a Ford dealership yesterday to try and test drive a Powerboost. I was kind've not surprised that they didn't have one, as it's new-ish and I figure that a lot of people see it as the powertrain to get. I was concerned, however, that they had one vehicle in the showroom, no more than 20 trucks in inventory total (counting base XL work trucks), one Explorer, and one Mustang.

Wait time on a special-order PB is ~5 months. Job 1 on 2022 isn't expected until at least December, and that will possibly be delated. On the bright side, this means I can put even more down.

According to things I've read there are new Ford pickups on storage lots waiting for micro processors. Totally 100% ready to ship except without a brain.

https://www.freep.com/story/money/cars/ford/2021/04/16/ford-f-150-semiconductor-chip-shortage/7175158002/

OlongJohnson
04-29-2021, 01:47 PM

Primary Arms has all buffers on sale.

Hambo
04-29-2021, 02:47 PM
Why is it for the last 6 months, I can’t find anything

Hey, Rip, did you just wake up from Y2K?