PDA

View Full Version : Has the Romeo1 (not the Pro) improved at all?

KevH
04-24-2021, 12:40 PM
I happened into a deal on an original P320 X5 (not the Legion) that has the Romeo1 footprint (never planned to buy a P320).

I bought it because of the low price and because I feel a duty to explore the P320 platform since there is now a substantial amount of folks at my department now carrying one. I have an RMR on a Glock right now and am sure I could fit one on this thing with an adapter plate, but since the point of this gun is to "try something different" I figured I'd go with a different optic. I don't really want to have the slide milled so the DPP and DPP-footprint optics aren't really an option.

I'm between picking up a new Romeo1 and steel shroud for around $200 or seeking out a Holosun 508t X2 and adapter plate (would end up being double the cost).

So is it worth playing with a Romeo1 or is it a waste of time?

In this particular optic is the 3moa or 6moa preferred?

Archer1440
04-25-2021, 06:54 PM
Preferred for what, exactly?

The Romeo1 3 MOA has distinct linear settings between the brightness levels, while the 6 MOA is overall much brighter, but has all but two of its settings all very bright and the two dimmer ones barely useable. Overall it is OK for use outdoors but too bright for indoors at usable settings, with the other two settings being unusable for much at all.

The 3 MOA tops out at a brightness level about 3/5ths of the top level of the 6 MOA. OK but not great in Arizona sunshine.

I only keep my R1 optics on a couple of .22LR plinkers. If you do plan to use it for anything serious, I would strongly recommend the steel shroud accessory.

I have five SIG pistols with R1 cuts, and if I were planning to use them, I would have them re-milled to accept an RMR. One of these days I really should just sell them off, but I never sell guns.

HCM
04-25-2021, 08:13 PM
GJM

George mentioned something about current, non pro R1s having sone inline improvements.

GJM
04-25-2021, 08:36 PM
GJM

George mentioned something about current, non pro R1s having sone inline improvements.

I am confused about exactly what I recall, and whether the Pro or non Pro, so I have been listening but not commenting in this thread!

KevH
04-25-2021, 09:58 PM
HCM GJM

I remember seeing a thread by JonInWA talking about improvements and the latest version of the Romeo1 being "Version 5."

I assume there are quite a few changes that have been made since Sage Dynamics and some of the other folks reviewed it a few years back.

I'm just curious if the improvements when used in conjunction with the steel shroud make it robust enough for CCW/duty use and thus worth forking out $250 for.

...and no, I have no current plans to carry a P320 X5...I just want a P320 to play with since they're multiplying like jackrabbits at my department and ones around me.

The other option without milling the slide would be to file 2mm or so off the front of a DPP.

JonInWA
04-26-2021, 07:22 AM
I'm genuinely hoping that there are sufficient improvements on the current (V5) version of the Romeo1-which is the one SIG recently provided to me as a replacement for my original 2019 production Romeo1 when it began exhibiting problems ( reoccurring recoil-induced failures with the dot). Mine is run with a steel shroud, which is standard on the Romeo1 Pro.

Unfortunately, I've only run it once since I got it back from SIG, and that was to perform a functions check and to re-zero. It appears to be fine, and I'll be running it more seriously in May and June, so I'll provide an updated report then. After vetting, there's a good chance I'll also carry it for duty and EDC during the period that I'll be using it; I'm comitted to using it for our upcoming Washington State IDPA CHampionship Tier IV match in June.

Best, Jon