PDA

View Full Version : Week 36: Surprise Reloads

DocGKR
07-16-2012, 09:45 AM
Please read the rules (http://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?1837-Drill-of-the-Week) before participating in this thread.

Week 36: Surprise Reloads
results may be posted until 11:59pm EDT on Monday 23-July-2012.

Range: 7 yards
Target: 8" circle
Start position: concealed
Rounds fired: 75

This week we'll work on determining how much time is added to our reload when we don't plan for it at a specific point during a string of fire.

First, establish a baseline. Draw and fire 1 round at the 8" circle, reload, and fire two more rounds at the 8" circle. Record the time for the reload (time between first and second shot). If you missed any of the three shots, repeat until you get a clean run.

Next, randomly load a total of 24 rounds into five magazines (or 23 if you've got a round in your chamber already). Make sure there are at least two rounds in each magazine.

Next, you'll work on the surprise reloads. On the buzzer you will draw and fire exactly three rounds. If at any point your gun runs dry, reload it and finish the three shots. If the pistol goes dry after the three rounds are fired, simply reload it and reholster without firing any additional shots. You should get eight reps of the 3-shot drill.

Load your 5 mags up again randomly with 24 rounds and repeat the eight 3-shot reps again. Then do it all over a third time. You should get a total of 24 3-shot draws. The number of times you'll reload "on the clock" will vary depending on how your magazines are loaded. But you should get somewhere in the vicinity of 10 "surprise" reloads.

Each time you reload within the 3-shot string (as opposed to after firing all three), record the time it took you to perform the reload. Find the average of time of those reloads.

Note: you can cheat by purposely setting up your magazines to go empty at known times... in which case you might as well not do the drill.

Please report the following when responding to this thread:

Start position (concealed, retention holster, open/range holster, ready position)
Time for the first "planned" reload
Average time for the "unplanned" reloads
Number of hits (out of 72) on the 8" circle

Training with firearms is an inherently dangerous activity. Be sure to follow all safety protocols when using firearms or practicing these drills. These drills are provided for information purposes only. Use at your own risk.

Chris Rhines
07-18-2012, 08:23 PM
Gear - Glock 34, Ready Tactical belt holster and magazine carriers, no cover. I used a 5x8 index card in lieu of an 8" circle.

Baseline Reload - 1.93 sec.

Avg. Surprise Reload - 1.97 sec.

68/72 hits.

No significant difference between my planned and surprise reloads - both were equally poor. I did notice that I had to wait for the empty magazine to clear the magwell several times, which is probably not good for my speed.

I'm probably going to spend the bulk of the week's practice working on reloads. Dry, I can hit them in 1.5 seconds. No reason I shouldn't be getting that live.

-C

YVK
07-19-2012, 04:34 PM
Reloads are probably the most depressing part of my skill set. Thank you for giving me a reason to alleviate the embarrassment of today's DOW behind the glass of a single malt tonight.

High ready starting position, P30 LEM, B16/2 orange center target. I attempted to keep the rounds inside 5.5 bullseye, but also counted hits within 8 inch circle.

Baseline "expected" reload average was measured with 4 attempts and came to 2.45. One of those reloads came at 1.98. I have never reloaded live under 2 sec and I attributed that to a probable timer malsensing. Throwing that away that outlier, the average is 2.6.

The raw average for a surprise reload was 3.43 sec.
One of those reloads registered at 2.24 which matches my personal best for an expected reload. Another one was 6.4 sec on account of me dropping a slide before fully seating the mag and getting a click instead of a bang. Discarding the first one as improbable and the second one because I just want to discard it, the time came to 3.07, almost 0.5 sec increase over expected.

13/72 misses on 5.5 inch, 8/72 on 8 inch shooting at a fairly comfortable pace. Not a great showing today.

ToddG
07-20-2012, 07:42 PM
So sad.

Start position: concealed (Keeper under untucked polo; CCC BMCs)
Planned reload: 2.06
Average for unplanned reloads: 2.27
Hits: 133 out of 144 (yeah, I did it twice)

My surprise reloads ranged from 2.01 to 3.04, with most right around the 2.25 mark. This is in keeping with my experience that in general a "surprise" reload costs most people from 0.2-0.35 seconds.

I performed a total of 18 reloads on the clock. Of those, I noted that six had fumbles inserting the mag, one fumbled hitting the slide release, and one was a fumble accessing the mag from the pouch. I had zero issues with the extended mag catch, which is a major improvement over the stock one.

UNM1136
07-21-2012, 07:32 AM
I have a lot of work to do.

I can tell two things...From concealment is new to me and is adding almost a second to my times... For both the gun and the mag. And, I am trying to run the gun visually, and am surprised how well my body index works on the state mandated course. The 8 inch circle is about 1/3 the size of the main part of the schmoo, and I am burning up alot of time trying to hit it.

Kimber in a IWB C-Tac, Concealed under T-shirt

Known reload: 5.89
Surprise reload 7.11

Also, missed 5. So by the 90% rule, I am being a little too precise. I should have missed 7-8.

Poor showing once more, but then again, that is why we drill.

pat

DocGKR
07-22-2012, 01:10 PM
Start position: G19 w/RMR07 carried AIWB in a Fricke Seraphim from under a Patagonia shirt
Time for the first "planned" reload: 2.85 sec
Average time for the "unplanned" reloads: 2.65 sec
Number of hits (out of 72) on the 8" circle: 70 hits

Note, it was nearly 100 degrees today and the Glock mags seemed slightly "swollen" and hard to get out of the mag well--almost like the old original NFML Glock mags. Definitely a bit weird.

ChrisG
07-22-2012, 09:29 PM
Start Position: G17 in Keeper under T-shirt
Baseline (planned) reload: 2.74
Average unplanned reload: 2.63 (times dropped throughout drill; first set were all above baseline, 2nd round mostly under, 3rd round all were under). Apparently I'm not practicing enough if my times improve this much during the course of a drill.
Hits: 63/72

Corey
07-23-2012, 08:30 AM
Smith & Wesson M&P Pro, Blade tech idpa holster under a vest.

My planned reload was a cold run when I showed up at the range. 2.69

Average of the surprise reloads was 2.64

Hits 65/72.

Mr_White
07-23-2012, 12:16 PM
Start position: G34 concealed in a Keeper under a closed front shirt

Time for planned reload: 1.64

Average time for unplanned reloads: 1.91

Number of hits: 59 (several reps of bad focus on sights and all the misses were a little high or a little low.)

nar472
07-23-2012, 12:48 PM
HK p30l in a JRC AIWB under a T-shirt

Baseline planned reload: 1.68

Avg unplanned reload: 1.92

Hits 117/144 (It was a good day on the range and I had the time so I did it twice.)

This drill had me so confused that several times I was pulling the gun back for a reload only to realize that it was not empty yet.
Great drill I will be shooting this one again.