PDA

View Full Version : Improper grip

turbolag23
03-20-2011, 02:35 PM
This weekends GSSF match the scorer pointed out something very helpful. I've been gripping my Glock's poorly for years. I had spent a lot of time thinking it was my trigger press, pushing the gun to the right (I'm left handed).

To get a comfortable grip I was wrapping my fingers around the grip so the second knuckle would be forward and the gun digging into my thumb. The gun was not in line with my arm and pointed right when I pressed out. By putting the back strap of the gun in the big meaty part instead of digging into my thumb the gun is inline with my arm. Now just the pads of my fingers are on the front grip and trigger.

Unfortunately I've learned bad habits and this one may take a while to break. I did see a slight improvement in my targets.

Before:
http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j255/lazyboymsu/Mobile%20Uploads/downsized_0319111322.jpg

After:
http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j255/lazyboymsu/Mobile%20Uploads/downsized_0319111510.jpg

ToddG
03-20-2011, 02:46 PM
Not to bring you down, dude, but I'm not seeing improvement from one to the next.

If you shoot any kind of isosceles-inspired stance, the "gun in straight line from the arm" thing doesn't work. Of course, you don't want the gun to be driving into the joint between thumb and palm with each shot, but whether it's "in line with your arm" or not can be changed just by moving your wrist. It's just not a good indicator of proper grip.

turbolag23
03-20-2011, 02:58 PM
Not to bring you down, dude, but I'm not seeing improvement from one to the next.

If you shoot any kind of isosceles-inspired stance, the "gun in straight line from the arm" thing doesn't work. Of course, you don't want the gun to be driving into the joint between thumb and palm with each shot, but whether it's "in line with your arm" or not can be changed just by moving your wrist. It's just not a good indicator of proper grip.

Thanks, so the best way to improve would be to get some actual training?

ToddG
03-20-2011, 03:18 PM
Thanks, so the best way to improve would be to get some actual training?

Generally that's a good place to start. You don't need to sign up for Super Duper Awesome Fun-Class 5000, just find a solid well respected instructor in your area who can teach you the basics and give some feedback to tweak your skills.

willowofwisp
03-20-2011, 04:54 PM
MDFI (Steve Fisher and assoc.) and there is also a Vickers Shooting Method instructor in Michigan too.

SecondsCount
03-20-2011, 05:02 PM
Your grip will typically not affect accuracy, it will affect speed on follow up shots. Yes, there are completely wrong ways to hold a gun but if you can keep the front sight on target while squeezing the trigger then you will get accurate shots.

I see a lot of anticipation in those groups...

jar
03-21-2011, 01:07 PM
I'll second getting some good instruction. Take a look at this article for some of the hows and whys as background: http://www.handgunsmag.com/tactics_training/combatg_100306/

turbolag23
03-22-2011, 07:55 AM
I see a lot of anticipation in those groups...

I should probably do some ball and dummy practice to work on that. I'm usually a little better when I can take my time but I'm new to timed shooting and something about the match mentality gets me.

I'll second getting some good instruction. Take a look at this article for some of the hows and whys as background: http://www.handgunsmag.com/tactics_training/combatg_100306/

thanks for the article

MDS
03-22-2011, 09:48 AM

I'll third getting good instruction. ToddG once chopped my suckage in half with a 30-second tip when he saw me shooting. And a 1-on-1 day with Frank Garcia chopped my suckage in half again.

And thanks for this article, jar - it's pretty illuminating.

Jameson
05-30-2011, 06:10 AM
MDFI (Steve Fisher and assoc.) and there is also a Vickers Shooting Method instructor in Michigan too.

I'm very curious who in MI teaches the Vickers Shooting Method. To me, it always seemed like quality instruction was a little lacking around here.

To the OP, MDFI is highly recommended. Steve is an awesome instructor (I'm not sure if Tom Fineis from Raven Concealment still assists MDFI classes, but he's great, too). MDFI also has a class called "You Suck, It's Not the Gun", that focuses completely on marksmanship fundamentals.

For $150 + the cost of ammo, you WILL come out of an MDFI class a more competent shooter.

turbolag23
05-30-2011, 11:41 AM
To the OP, MDFI is highly recommended. Steve is an awesome instructor (I'm not sure if Tom Fineis from Raven Concealment still assists MDFI classes, but he's great, too). MDFI also has a class called "You Suck, It's Not the Gun", that focuses completely on marksmanship fundamentals.

For $150 + the cost of ammo, you WILL come out of an MDFI class a more competent shooter.

thanks for the suggestion. since the first post i have taken HG1 and HG2 from MDFI. Tom and Trek taught the class but Steve did make an appearance at HG2. the classes were a big eye opener for things to work on and think about.
the you suck its not the gun classes were all full but i'm still interested in taking it sometime. my biggest set back is really the lack of practice/range time i get in.