PDA

View Full Version : Patriot's Day!

JohnO
04-19-2021, 08:52 AM
https://3iqhm91wtiv21y4zza4dqwj2-wpengine.netdna-ssl.com/wp-content/uploads/Massachusetts-Lexington-Lexington-Minuteman-Statue-John-Parker-1440x954.jpg

“Stand your ground. Don’t fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here.”
-John Parker
Captain of Militia

Shoresy
04-19-2021, 11:32 AM
By the rude bridge that arched the flood,
Their flag to April’s breeze unfurled,
Here once the embattled farmers stood
And fired the shot heard round the world.

The foe long since in silence slept;
Alike the conqueror silent sleeps;
And Time the ruined bridge has swept
Down the dark stream which seaward creeps.

On this green bank, by this soft stream,
We set today a votive stone;
That memory may their deed redeem,
When, like our sires, our sons are gone.

Spirit, that made those heroes dare
To die, and leave their children free,
Bid Time and Nature gently spare
The shaft we raise to them and thee

Ralph Waldo Emerson, Concord Hymn

JohnO
04-19-2021, 12:17 PM
When I lived in Arlington, MA I would walk down the street and visit this monument frequently.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/c/c5/Samuel_Whittemore_Monument.jpg

On April 19, 1775, British forces were returning to Boston from the Battles of Lexington and Concord, the opening engagements of the war. On their march they were continually shot at by American militiamen.

Whittemore was in his fields when he spotted an approaching British relief brigade under Earl Percy, sent to assist the retreat. Whittemore loaded his musket and ambushed the British Grenadiers of the 47th Regiment of Foot from behind a nearby stone wall, killing one soldier. He then drew his dueling pistols, killed a second grenadier and mortally wounded a third. By the time Whittemore had fired his third shot, a British detachment had reached his position; Whittemore drew his sword and attacked. He was subsequently shot in the face, bayoneted numerous times, and left for dead in a pool of blood. He was found by colonial forces, trying to load his musket to resume the fight. He was taken to Dr. Cotton Tufts of Medford, who perceived no hope for his survival. However, Whittemore recovered and lived another 18 years until dying of natural causes at the age of 96.

blues
04-19-2021, 12:35 PM
However, Whittemore recovered and lived another 18 years until dying of natural causes at the age of 96.

I see what you did there. He lived another 18 years after age 80 and died at 96. Just checking to see if we're paying attention...

...btw, nobody said there'd be math.

:cool:

uechibear
04-19-2021, 01:38 PM
Eleven years ago, I was one of about 2000 people gathered at the Second Amendment March in Washington, D.C. My photos of that day aren't available right now, so I'll post a picture I took in Concord, MA of "The Minute Man" statue.