PDA

View Full Version : Magpul pistol braces now shipping

Casual Friday
04-16-2021, 10:46 AM
Just a heads up the Magpul BTR and BSL (https://magpul.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=brace)are now available. I snagged a BTR. I'll do a review once I have it and use it.

entropy
04-16-2021, 06:14 PM
Flood the market with them. If I was Magpul, I’d be giving them away or selling them for a buck.

We need to start playing the same games.

All that said, look forward to the review.

GyroF-16
04-16-2021, 11:06 PM
Just a heads up the Magpul BTR and BSL (https://magpul.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=brace)are now available. I snagged a BTR. I'll do a review once I have it and use it.

Wondering what the appeal for these is, versus the SBA3 and SBA4, or other similar designs.
Seems less expensive. And I’m a Magpul fan.

Looking forward to the reviews.

Casual Friday
04-16-2021, 11:10 PM
Wondering what the appeal for these is, versus the SBA3 and SBA4, or other similar designs.
Seems less expensive. And I’m a Magpul fan.

Looking forward to the reviews.

I've had both the SBA3 and SBA4. They're too floppy and collapse and fold over during use in various shooting positions. I like rigid braces with no rubber flappy wings.

JohnO
04-16-2021, 11:29 PM
I've had both the SBA3 and SBA4. They're too floppy and collapse and fold over during use in various shooting positions. I like rigid braces with no rubber flappy wings.

Have to tried the wisemencompany SBA3 SplitFix? I haven’t tried one but a few buddies got them on a recommendation from Kyle DeFoor.

Beat Trash
04-17-2021, 07:11 AM
Have to tried the wisemencompany SBA3 SplitFix? I haven’t tried one but a few buddies got them on a recommendation from Kyle DeFoor.

I use the split fix on SBA3’s. It fixes the floppy problem without any modifications to the brace.

GJM
04-17-2021, 08:52 AM
Thoughts on BTR vs BSL?

Casual Friday
04-17-2021, 09:41 AM

I use the split fix on SBA3’s. It fixes the floppy problem without any modifications to the brace.

Yes I did. It took a lot of the flop out but it still allowed more side to side and forward movement than I liked. I think Wake27 experienced the same thing.

Casual Friday
04-17-2021, 09:43 AM
Thoughts on BTR vs BSL?

I ordered the BTR because I thought it looked cooler than the BSL.

LOKNLOD
04-17-2021, 09:52 AM
Thoughts on BTR vs BSL?

I would lean towards the BTR over the BSL. Having a open triangle hole gives more options for grabbing the thing from weird angles. That's the best reason i can come up with that isn't just cosmetics.

Magpul could have saved themselves some design time if they'd have just made the CTR buttpad pull off and have a QD swivel underneath.

vcdgrips
04-17-2021, 11:58 AM
"Magpul could have saved themselves some design time if they'd have just made the CTR buttpad pull off and have a QD swivel underneath."

Edge of my lane at best:

While that may be true, Magpul has had very few missteps with their polymer molded products in terms of design and proof of concept. Ergo a more blank sheet of paper approach IMHO.

While there may have teething pains with some of their first Glock mags, they more than made those right.

They have held prices down when the market would easily bear higher.

I would argue that their only misses have been trying to support too many smart phones brands with some of their early cases and some of their soft goods (collared shirts, pants, shorts, outwear) missed the mark in the perceived quality/value market.

On a near complete tangent, expanding soft goods beyond a core ( hats/t-shirts in the case of Magpul) is how Golite crashed and burned only to be resurrected as My Trail where the original Go-Lite founder crashed and burned it again. 3rd time may be a charm as a new ownership has the name and designs now.

Bigghoss
04-17-2021, 10:15 PM
That BTR looks like just the ticket. The location of the QD socket and the buttons for adjusting the length really sell the brace thing. As much as I would like a QD socket on the side it's smart they put it right on the back.

LOKNLOD
04-17-2021, 10:31 PM
"Magpul could have saved themselves some design time if they'd have just made the CTR buttpad pull off and have a QD swivel underneath."

Edge of my lane at best:

While that may be true, Magpul has had very few missteps with their polymer molded products in terms of design and proof of concept. Ergo a more blank sheet of paper approach IMHO.

I guess I would clarify I was just being tongue-in-cheek about how similar to a traditional CTR the BTR looks to be - no doubt this is pretty cream of the crop as far as braces go.

I think the only misstep here, if it is one at all, is waiting until now to get them to market with the potential imminent danger to the legality of braces.

ViniVidivici
04-17-2021, 11:11 PM
Those look great. Top one looks like the KAK I get so much use out of. Outstanding.

Nephrology
04-18-2021, 08:30 AM
I might grab one just for the legal flexibility. Really appreciate how much cheaper they are than the SBA3, especially given that the two guns I'd use them on are already SBR'd. Don't need a $120 stock that i'll keep in around purely for travel out of state.

WobblyPossum
04-18-2021, 09:03 AM
I might grab one just for the legal flexibility. Really appreciate how much cheaper they are than the SBA3, especially given that the two guns I'd use them on are already SBR'd. Don't need a $120 stock that i'll keep in around purely for travel out of state.

Did your SBRs begin life as pistols? My understanding, and I always admit that I could be wrong, is that if the gun started as a pistol you can go back and forth between pistol and rifle without issues. If the gun started as a rifle, whether NFA or not, it can’t legally be made into a pistol. If you want to temporarily modify the configuration of an SBR into a non-NFA firearm configuration, you can only make it a 16”+ barreled rifle and not a pistol with a shorter barrel unless it started life as a pistol.

Nephrology
04-18-2021, 09:04 AM
Did your SBRs begin life as pistols? My understanding, and I always admit that I could be wrong, is that if the gun started as a pistol you can go back and forth between pistol and rifle without issues. If the gun started as a rifle, whether NFA or not, it can’t legally be made into a pistol. If you want to temporarily modify the configuration of an SBR into a non-NFA firearm configuration, you can only make it a 16”+ barreled rifle and not a pistol with a shorter barrel unless it started life as a pistol.

Both started life as stripped receivers that were built into AR pistols, then SBR'd.

WobblyPossum
04-18-2021, 09:09 AM
Both started life as stripped receivers that were built into AR pistols, then SBR'd.

Based on this (https://www.atf.gov/firearms/docs/ruling/2011-4-pistols-configured-rifles-rifles-configured-pistols/download), it sounds like you should be good to go.

texasaggie2005
04-18-2021, 10:37 AM
Any feedback on how tight they lockup on the RE? That's one of the issues I have with my SBA3's.

Casual Friday
04-18-2021, 01:20 PM
Any feedback on how tight they lockup on the RE? That's one of the issues I have with my SBA3's.

I'll let you know Wednesday. I only have VLTOR A5 REs though, which seem to be more much more consistent across the board in terms of being milspec diameter.

Wake27
04-18-2021, 07:00 PM
Yes I did. It took a lot of the flop out but it still allowed more side to side and forward movement than I liked. I think Wake27 experienced the same thing.

I like the SplitFix and consider it a necessity for the SBA3. But I did still have the little foldy parts push in towards the end plate as I was pulling the brace into my shoulder.

Casual Friday
04-23-2021, 06:08 PM
I received it Tuesday but didn't make it to the range until today. I put it on my LMT MRP CQB and it worked well. The fitment to the buffer tube is similar to other Magpul offerings, a little wobble but not too much. I don't care for the QD placement so I'll end up just looping the sling through the slot. For my uses for a pistol brace, it's just about perfect.