PDA

View Full Version : New IPSC Canada CZ Shadow

Slavex
07-15-2012, 04:10 AM
So on Thursday I picked up my new IPSC Canada CZ Shadow. This is a special version (Maple Leaf engraved grips) of the new 2012 Shadow that CZ has produced. This gun retails for nearly double that of the regular Shadow, but includes, aluminum grips, competition hammer, stainless guide rod, shock buffs, 3 different recoil springs, 3 different hammer springs, spare firing pin spring, original grips, 3 mags with aluminum bases over the plastic base, a fitted case, competition FO rear sight, and the big one for me, hand fitted slide, barrel and frame.
I will admit I was skeptical about the cost of the new gun, the Shadow is already a phenomenal gun, and I've got close to 200,000 through the 3 I have now. But upon inspection of the gun at the store (Reliable
Guns in Vancouver BC), I have to say I was shocked.
The grips,
nice,
rear sight,
gonna take some getting used to,
the trigger, yeah needed a 85 Combat trigger (which is what the guns will be shipping with in the future), plus it was a bit gritty, the hand fitted components?
wow, wow, wow. I've only ever seen this level of detail in custom 1911's. Now I know anyone out there with a custom 1911 is going to not believe this, but the fitting is as good as and better than most I've seen, and I worked for a custom 1911 builder years back. Sure for 3 times the price you will probably get a nice SV that's better done, but it won't be that much better, at least not to me.
Oh and did I mention the finish? not the typical paint job the Shadow gets, nor the bright polish blue the Tyc one got, this is a flawless matte blue (I think it's bluing, but to be honest I'm not sure), it's not paint, that I know. The interior is as nicely done as the exterior. They hand select the frames so they are all flawless, and the machining is just beautiful.
But the hand fitting, my god, when you take the slide off, it will not allow any twisting or misalignment, if you don't pull it straight and level, it won't budge. When assembled though, it's smooth, so smooth.
Was I shocked enough to think it was worth the $1500 price tag? Still not quite there. But then I took the gun to the range on Friday. 200 rounds in about 45 minutes, and wow, yeah, most accurate 9mm I own. I ended that session with 10 rounds rapid at 7yds on the 1 inch square of a Pistol-training.com target, .35 splits (so not rocking, but not taking my time either), even with the somewhat gritty trigger (yeah it's already smoother) and the biteyness of the trigger, I pulled off the following,

I am very happy with that. End result? yeah I do think this gun is worth it. I am now about 900 rounds into the 2000 round challenge and no issues at all. The initial 200 rounds won't be included in the challenge as I swapped out the trigger and lubed the gun in that area when I did the work. I prefer the older style 85 Combat trigger as it's not as curved and doesn't bite my finger like the Shadow one does. They are supposed to be switching to this trigger for all future Shadows (as told to me at the factory in June). I am totally in love with this gun.

Slavex
07-15-2012, 04:13 AM
meh, only allowed 5 pics, so here are the rest, insert them into my above post as you please

F-Trooper05
07-15-2012, 05:44 AM
I guess it's the hockey fan in me, but I really dig that maple leaf (even if your border gaurds are dicks to us Alaskans). :)

Comedian
07-15-2012, 07:53 AM
Sweet shooter. I will be getting a CZ one of these days.

tremiles
07-15-2012, 08:03 AM
I love my comp hammer SP01, although it doesn't get the volume my M&P gets. I hope to get a Custom Shadow from CZCustom when they become available.

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk 2

JV_
07-15-2012, 12:53 PM
I definitely want to try it. How is the trigger reach compared to a CZ75?

CK1
07-15-2012, 01:41 PM
That thing looks pretty awesome.

I'm a huge Shadow fan myself already, and my proletarian factory ones have been incredible, almost hard to imagine getting extra spoiled by what a hand-fit example might deliver.
In my hands, they have shown themselves to be the most accurate 9mm's I've ever shot after having tried just about everything, and just like all of my CZ's they have been Glock-like in reliability (older 3rd Gen works-correctly-like-they-used-to Glock-like).

(Only a tuned-up STI Trojan 9mm I had could match them in accuracy, nowhere even close in reliability though).

orionz06
07-15-2012, 01:56 PM
I kind of want one, you know, if they made a 'merikah version. For some reason the Shadow has had my attention for a while now.

fuse
07-15-2012, 01:59 PM
I would say that target you posted would be more indicative of impressive user skill than a super accurate pistol. That's not to say it's not also very accurate.

Kyle Reese
07-15-2012, 02:09 PM
I love my comp hammer SP01, although it doesn't get the volume my M&P gets. I hope to get a Custom Shadow from CZCustom when they become available.

http://czcustom.com/CZ75_SP01_SHADOW_CustomShop.aspx

Just sayin.....:cool:

CK1
07-15-2012, 03:32 PM
I would say that target you posted would be more indicative of impressive user skill than a super accurate pistol. That's not to say it's not also very accurate.

What's weird about the Shadows is that they tend to amplify or maybe accentuate a shooter's skill going off of what you see looking at paper targets... Many guns are mechanically accurate, meaning they'll print small groups from a rest or off bags or whatever; the Shadow's combination of great ergos, sweet trigger, long slide-rails sitting in the frame, and plain sheer heft just adds up to great real-world, usable accuracy over a lot of other pistols. One-hole groups at 7yrds is pretty much normal and expected out of a Shadow for nearly any fairly-decent shooter... That said, on the clock, and at that speed is what shows me the skill-level involved (JMHO).

Seriously, these guns are underrated in the eyes of most "defensive shooting types", as accurate as they are, they're not just range toys. Seems a lot of trainers/tactics guys write them off as "race/competition guns" only, usually pointing out their heft as removing them from consideration or any serious discussion of pistols in a defensive side-arm role, but they'll eat and spit out any factory ammo I've come across, and that added weight doesn't seem like such a bad trade-off when it gives a better-than-average shooter the ability to consistently drill pasters out to 15yrds+ with confidence. Yeah, I can take-down my Glocks in 60 seconds with a handcuff key in the dark, but even trying my best after years and thousands upon thousands of rounds through them, I still can't make the same shots I can make with the Shadows with relative ease.

Slavex
07-15-2012, 08:38 PM
I shot a similar group with my match gun, but my splits were closer to .45ish. And I certainly tried harder. This gun just seems to shoot easier than my other guns. Once I pass the 2000 round challenge I'll be polishing the trigger if it needs it.
I've had two jams with the gun, and I am not going to count them as malfunctions as I'm pretty sure 9x21 shouldn't feed in the gun? And neither should a round with a squished primer sticking out of the primer pocket. Other than that zero issues.
I forgot to add that when I did the trigger swap it also put grip tape on the front and back strap. That is one thing I would like to see changed on these "special" guns, some proper checkering.

tremiles
07-16-2012, 01:12 PM
http://czcustom.com/CZ75_SP01_SHADOW_CustomShop.aspx

Just sayin.....:cool:

I've already got a SP01 non-Shadow, I'm waiting for the "build-me" '75 Shadow. I don't need it, but I need it, you know?

http://czcustom.com/cz75shadowbuildme-2.aspx

stuart
07-17-2012, 01:44 PM

Some are available, others soon.

Slavex
07-17-2012, 01:57 PM
Some people, elsewhere, seem to think that the fact the slides and such are hand fitted means that this gun should be not in Production Division, when. In fact it has less work done to it, as far as metal removal, than a regular gun. Arrrggg

JHC
07-17-2012, 03:07 PM
What's weird about the Shadows is that they tend to amplify or maybe accentuate a shooter's skill going off of what you see looking at paper targets... Many guns are mechanically accurate, meaning they'll print small groups from a rest or off bags or whatever; the Shadow's combination of great ergos, sweet trigger, long slide-rails sitting in the frame, and plain sheer heft just adds up to great real-world, usable accuracy over a lot of other pistols. One-hole groups at 7yrds is pretty much normal and expected out of a Shadow for nearly any fairly-decent shooter... That said, on the clock, and at that speed is what shows me the skill-level involved (JMHO).

Seriously, these guns are underrated in the eyes of most "defensive shooting types", as accurate as they are, they're not just range toys. Seems a lot of trainers/tactics guys write them off as "race/competition guns" only, usually pointing out their heft as removing them from consideration or any serious discussion of pistols in a defensive side-arm role, but they'll eat and spit out any factory ammo I've come across, and that added weight doesn't seem like such a bad trade-off when it gives a better-than-average shooter the ability to consistently drill pasters out to 15yrds+ with confidence. Yeah, I can take-down my Glocks in 60 seconds with a handcuff key in the dark, but even trying my best after years and thousands upon thousands of rounds through them, I still can't make the same shots I can make with the Shadows with relative ease.

Yeah you put these into my head and I look forward to shooting one someday. I've never even seen one on a shelf yet.

mrozowjj
07-17-2012, 03:56 PM
I started off shooting a 75BD in IDPA and USPSA and I'm tempted to go back to it from time to time but as much as I liked having the decocker I kind of want to get a version with a safety... the Shadows are nice but dear god are they expensive.

Part of me wants to try the new P07 Duty gun but I'm not sure if I want to stock all new magazines.

Point of this post was I'm envious of your new purchase. Did it come with the red base plates on the mags?

Tiggrot
07-17-2012, 05:28 PM
It's a nicely made gun that's for sure.

The grips are actually really nice, somewhere between CZ's thin grips and the thick ones. The fitting is just.. yum. I was lucky enough to go with Slavex to go pick this up and take a quick range trip, he even let me shoot it, the gun handles really well and you can feel the difference from the standard shadow when you squeeze the trigger. A couple thousand rounds through it and it'll be smoother than warm butter.

If you've got the money to spend they're worth it over the standard model, that's for sure. Now they just need to stop arguing like children about the PD rules...

As for that target, it's all the gun. He usually prints 6" groups at that distance... :rolleyes:

Edit: mrozowjj - The mags came with red aluminum base pads... We're stuck with 10 rounders and I dont know if you've seen the 10 round CZ mags but.. they suck. Sadly the new aluminum base plated ones are the same. Plastic where it meets the mag tube and then just a small aluminum shroud thing on the very base of the mag. The plastic meeting the mag tube is the bit that always fails for me, why they couldn't make the whole thing aluminum is beyond me.

Slavex
07-17-2012, 06:00 PM
Actually 6 inches on a good day. My target usually looks like a shotgun pattern when I'm done.
The regular Shadows go for only 100 more than a Glock up here, are they even more down there?

mrozowjj
07-18-2012, 06:58 AM
Actually 6 inches on a good day. My target usually looks like a shotgun pattern when I'm done.
The regular Shadows go for only 100 more than a Glock up here, are they even more down there?

I live in MD, everything is more expensive down here. Best price I can find on a standard shadow is cz customs and it's like $880. They sell the regular 75s for like $500-ish but they don't seem to have anything in stock at the moment so the prices are speculation.

CK1
07-20-2012, 01:18 AM

Errr, hearing that kind of pisses me off...
This has bugged me for a few years now actually.

As far as I can tell, at least for us guys in the states, the only reason the Shadows cost so much more than the other "regular" CZ 75B/SP-01 variants (about $300+ more) is that they all come from, more or less, a single source. CZ-USA imports guns from Czech-land and distributes the "normal" guns to the CZ dealers like any other maker/importer does, but the supply and demand of the Shadows seems to be controlled more strictly, so they're kept more "exclusive" and priced that way. Though, aside from LESS machining & parts required to manufacture them, an extra mag, and a crappy FO front sight that most Shadow owners toss ASAP anyway, they're a production CZ like any run-o-the-mill 75B, just with a better hammer installed, that's it. The pre-Shadow era 85 Combat models have always been a few more dollars than the 75B's, seemingly mostly due to having a more expensive (but crappy) adjustable rear sight, and trigger with adjustable over-travel... but we're talking maybe $50 more, not $300+ more. As much as I love the Shadow models, I cannot understand the price-point, the up-charge attached just doesn't make much sense with supply & demand out of the equation)...

The other day I was talking to one of the guys who does ordering for a LGS near me (well, they've got two locations now actually) who move A LOT of guns in my area and has pretty strong buying power about why he doesn't order more CZ's: he was like "look, we've always got a couple 75's in-stock or the newer poly guns, but the guys who come in looking for the Shadows already know about them, and will go find themselves one, how do I explain a Shadow costing almost double what the others do to the average customer who doesn't know much about CZ's when I can't really figure it out myself..? It's got a nicer trigger? That's it? C'mon..."

Slavex
07-20-2012, 03:12 AM
There is actually considerably more work involved in a Shadow vs a standard 75. Whether that is worth the increase you see is debatable. But I don't see the cost of the gun being out of whack, especially when I consider I'll spend that much on ammo a month for it.

CK1
07-20-2012, 09:42 AM
There is actually considerably more work involved in a Shadow vs a standard 75. Whether that is worth the increase you see is debatable. But I don't see the cost of the gun being out of whack, especially when I consider I'll spend that much on ammo a month for it.

IDK, maybe on your new piece there's more work involved, but I don't think so on a "normal" Shadow so much...
To be fair, I'm just whining about it a little, but it's not a huge deal. I do think the Shadows are worth what they cost, it's just hard to see why they're marked up so much compared to the other more ubiquitous CZ guns is all...

Slavex
07-20-2012, 11:32 AM
not a ton of extra work, but there is more machining due to the rail, plus the forgings are all newer than the 75's so they have to pay for the R&D on that. Here the 75's are maybe $100 less than a Shadow, so value to us isn't totally off base. But we are used to handguns costing a lot anyhow.
2000 round update, still working towards 2000 rounds, had my 3rd jam in the gun on Tuesday, this jam like the others won't count against the gun as it was purely my fault for not checking my ammo. I load a crapload and only check my match ammo over before shooting. Practice ammo just goes in a bucket. First round in my 5th mag the primer was mushed in the pocket, gun didn't chamber the round, and then when I cleared it, the primer fell out of the pocket, and bounced down in behind the trigger bar. I've experienced this before so I knew exactly what it was, clearing is simple, hold gun upside down, rack rack rack, however I wanted to use this as a training moment for the other guys at the range and took the slide off to show them what happened.

nice huh?

Of course this reduces the round count by 1 off the total. Should hit 2000 Monday night or Tuesday night next week. The gun has already moved into being my match gun, as it just shoots so well. I will be inspecting my ammo for this weekend's matches though.

CK1
07-22-2012, 01:51 AM
Many of the guys I shoot with are better at shooting than ammo-manufacturing ;).

Slavex
07-23-2012, 11:01 PM
sitting at 1914 rounds since it's last cleaning and lube. Will pass 2000 rounds tomorrow night and then I'll write a report about that in the 2000 round challenge. I have to say I'm still super impressed with this gun, ran it hard this weekend at a match and then tonight with 600 rounds in 2.5 hrs in practice. No issues at all, getting used to the rear sight, and I think I like it now.
Certainly a conversation piece at the matches this weekend. Everyone loves the grips.

lemonsorbie
05-01-2013, 09:42 PM
Hi Slavex.

Just found your post about the SP01 Canadian Edition Shadow.

Couple of questions if you got the time?

So I have tracked down a CE Shadow and I am awaiting the SP01 to arrive. In this post (#1) you quoted "the trigger, yeah needed a 85 Combat trigger (which is what the guns will be shipping with in the future), plus it was a bit gritty, the hand fitted components?"

How can I distinguish if the trigger is a 85 Combat trigger from a stock CE trigger.

I must admit I have had little to zero emails back from where I am buying it from otherwise I would bug them about how long it has been in there "display" cabinet.

I am unsure just how many of the CE's exist or were produced. I have found little to no information from all 3 CZ sites (CZ USA, CZ UB & CZ CZ). I even emailed emailed all 3 for some additional info with nada coming back.

Thanks in advance I'd you find the time to answer my questions.

:)

Slavex
05-02-2013, 12:26 AM
so, there are a few different versions of the CE Shadow, I didn't know that at the time I bought this one. Mine is the highest grade version. It seems you can tell this by the fiber optic rear site, medium thickness red grips with Maple Leaf and low profile safeties. The next grade down loses the fiber optic rear I believe. It's kind of hard to know for sure.
The 85 trigger is not as curved as the regular 75 series trigger, and is a bit thicker too. I find the regular trigger bites my finger right down by the trigger guard. I haven't seen any of the new ones, so I can't comment on whether or not they have 85 or 75 triggers. BUT, if you get the gun and it doesn't bother you, don't worry about it.
The grittiness was mostly from the spring on the hammer strut. Smooth out the strut and boom, smooth trigger. There might have been a little bit from the sear/hammer interface, but it wasn't there long.
Not shocked that you haven't heard back from CZ, that's SOP as far as I've been able to tell. I had phone conversations with the guys there setting up times to see the factory and buy parts etc, show up at the set time and everyone is surprised to see me. They do things over there a bit different than here.

lemonsorbie
05-02-2013, 08:59 AM
so, there are a few different versions of the CE Shadow, I didn't know that at the time I bought this one. Mine is the highest grade version. It seems you can tell this by the fiber optic rear site, medium thickness red grips with Maple Leaf and low profile safeties. The next grade down loses the fiber optic rear I believe. It's kind of hard to know for sure.
The 85 trigger is not as curved as the regular 75 series trigger, and is a bit thicker too. I find the regular trigger bites my finger right down by the trigger guard. I haven't seen any of the new ones, so I can't comment on whether or not they have 85 or 75 triggers. BUT, if you get the gun and it doesn't bother you, don't worry about it.
The grittiness was mostly from the spring on the hammer strut. Smooth out the strut and boom, smooth trigger. There might have been a little bit from the sear/hammer interface, but it wasn't there long.
Not shocked that you haven't heard back from CZ, that's SOP as far as I've been able to tell. I had phone conversations with the guys there setting up times to see the factory and buy parts etc, show up at the set time and everyone is surprised to see me. They do things over there a bit different than here.

Hey Rob thanks for the info.

Just to add more confusion to the overall CZ Specification with all the CZ Pistol models and editions, Ceska Zbrojovka a.s replied to my Facebook PM. It went like this:

Me: Hi Team CZ, Could you take the time to provide some information on the CZ 75 SP01 Shadow Canadian Edition. What are the differences between a standard SP01 Shadow and this special Canadian Edition.

CZ: Hi, there are no differences.

Great conversation Eh!!! LOL

Anyway I'M sure CE owner will comment to the opposite of whoever replied to me on Facebook.

lemonsorbie
05-02-2013, 07:15 PM
Here it is Rob, my CE Shadow. Bloody lovely.

https://mail-attachment.googleusercontent.com/attachment/u/0/s/?view=att&th=13e659ca7b4b1851&attid=0.1&disp=attd&safe=1&zw&saduie=AG9B_P_7f8aq5d-OERG8Bu78hBAU&sadet=1367540380012&sads=Su9NYWAzJkbUPJ_-cc_LgvxxDOs&sadssc=1

lemonsorbie
05-02-2013, 07:33 PM
Hey Rob,

Hope you don't mind me hijacking your thread? I found this useful in identifying the different triggers that I was asking you about.

https://www.icloud.com/photostream/#A2G4Tcsm9LOdi

The CZ 75 SP01 Shadow depiction also shows the different configurations you may find amongst the various platforms.

lemonsorbie
05-02-2013, 07:36 PM
Here it is Rob, my CE Shadow. Bloody lovely.

https://www.icloud.com/photostream/#A2GWZuqDNBX3f

It's hard to say but I would hope mine has the 85 combat trigger?

What do you recon?

Slavex
05-03-2013, 02:16 AM
That is pretty much a weak answer from CZ. Whoever answered apparently doesn't read their own copy.
I don't know if it's my phone, but I can't see any of the pics/links you posted. I'll try to look when I get home. Regardless congrats on he new gun! I got a Glock today lol

lemonsorbie
05-03-2013, 06:54 PM
Hey Rob,

So I managed to work out the upload think.

Pictures are up now.

Steve

Slavex
05-04-2013, 02:16 AM
From the pics yours looks like the mid of the pack version of the CE. Flush safeties come on the top model. Can't see the rear sight, does it have fiber optic rod in it? And, your trigger is definitely the 75 one. I'll take some pics of the 85 trigger and a 75 one tomorrow night at class and post them here after. Add me on Facebook (Robert Engh) and I'll post them live from the range to FB.
All that said, the fitting they do to the guns is the same, the CE guns (as well as the orange gripped 2012 and 2013s) are hand fitted for the barrel, slide, and frame. Making for a much, much tighter gun. My gun is still tighter than a new regular grade Shadow out of the box.
Did yours come with any of the shock buffs?

lemonsorbie
05-04-2013, 10:55 AM
From the pics yours looks like the mid of the pack version of the CE. Flush safeties come on the top model. Can't see the rear sight, does it have fiber optic rod in it? And, your trigger is definitely the 75 one. I'll take some pics of the 85 trigger and a 75 one tomorrow night at class and post them here after. Add me on Facebook (Robert Engh) and I'll post them live from the range to FB.
All that said, the fitting they do to the guns is the same, the CE guns (as well as the orange gripped 2012 and 2013s) are hand fitted for the barrel, slide, and frame. Making for a much, much tighter gun. My gun is still tighter than a new regular grade Shadow out of the box.
Did yours come with any of the shock buffs?

Hey Rob.

Thanks again for the reply. As for the buffers it came with 2.

I just added you to FB

Slavex
05-04-2013, 08:05 PM
Brain faded and forgot my backup Shadow. However looked at a buddies new Shadowline which had the new trigger, it's not a 75 and it's not an 85 it's like a cross between the two. That could be what you have in your gun, if that's what CZ is now making as the 85 trigger.

2nice4me
06-27-2014, 07:19 PM
Hey Rob thanks for the info.

Just to add more confusion to the overall CZ Specification with all the CZ Pistol models and editions, Ceska Zbrojovka a.s replied to my Facebook PM. It went like this:

Me: Hi Team CZ, Could you take the time to provide some information on the CZ 75 SP01 Shadow Canadian Edition. What are the differences between a standard SP01 Shadow and this special Canadian Edition.

CZ: Hi, there are no differences.

Hi Guys, newbie here and while I have been scouring to determine the differences between Shadowline and the Canadian Edition I am still not clear what the difference really is.

I am looking at this one: $1112 at http://www.wolverinesupplies.com/details/14139/CZ-75B-9mm-Shadowline-with-Aluminum-Grips.aspx and a used Canadian Edition for $1199.

I am not going to do any competition, just target shooting. tried the shadow and liked it but would like to get something better from the get go rather than fine tuning it afterwards.

Slavex
06-28-2014, 05:26 AM
That's a 75 Shadowline, standard dustcover. An SP01 Shadow has the full length dustcover with rails for lights etc.
Shadowlines in either line are a great deal for what you get though. Easily spend more adding the same parts on your own.
For me however it's all about Canadian Edition Shadowmates, the cream of the crop, hand fitted (to tight tight tolerances) barrel, slide and frame, flush safeties, hand tuned trigger and hammer system, spiffy red aluminum grips that for some reason fall between thick and thin grips (but they don't tell you that) fiber optic 1mm front sight vs 1.5 on other Shadows, fiber optic rear (not a big deal to me, but they have them), stainless guide rod, shock buffs, torx head grip screws, super nice case, 3 mags (that I just toss in the closet) and probably some other features too.
There is an Orange Shadow which is sort of middle of the line Shadowmate if that makes any sense, for sale on Gunnutz right now.

STS
06-28-2014, 05:45 PM
So this is probably a dumb question but it's been a long long time since I messed with a DA/SA gun. I'm thinking of trying a CZ out as I carry AIWB and like the added safety of a hammer fire gun. On the CZ's that have a safety and not a decocker, how are you decocking the hammer? I've seen some videos where it looks like you manually lower the hammer while pulling the trigger? Is that correct?

2nice4me
06-28-2014, 07:47 PM
That's a 75 Shadowline, standard dustcover. An SP01 Shadow has the full length dustcover with rails for lights etc.
Shadowlines in either line are a great deal for what you get though. Easily spend more adding the same parts on your own.
For me however it's all about Canadian Edition Shadowmates, the cream of the crop, hand fitted (to tight tight tolerances) barrel, slide and frame, flush safeties, hand tuned trigger and hammer system, spiffy red aluminum grips that for some reason fall between thick and thin grips (but they don't tell you that) fiber optic 1mm front sight vs 1.5 on other Shadows, fiber optic rear (not a big deal to me, but they have them), stainless guide rod, shock buffs, torx head grip screws, super nice case, 3 mags (that I just toss in the closet) and probably some other features too.
There is an Orange Shadow which is sort of middle of the line Shadowmate if that makes any sense, for sale on Gunnutz right now.

Thanks!

Slavex
06-29-2014, 09:20 PM
Yup, we do need to decock by pulling the trigger and manually lowering the hammer. I know for people who carry this sounds way off. However, were I to carry this gun (and I'd carry my G19 honestly), I'd have no issue with decocking before holstering on my way out the door. If the gun got used during my time out, I'd holster it with the safeties being used most likely unless there was a space I could decock safely.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YpcHRoL35Po

Stephen
06-29-2014, 09:49 PM
and I'd carry my G19 honestly

I'm assuming you have about a billion rounds downrange with CZ-75 variants. Why wouldn't you go with a P-01 or something like that?

Slavex
06-30-2014, 05:10 AM
I'm sitting at somewhere around 700,000 downrange with my Shadows and Tanfoglio, but yeah I'd still carry a G19 if we were allowed to carry. It's smaller and it shoots just fine at the distances I'd expect it would be needed at, yes I know about making expectations on gun fights. The Shadow is an awesome competition gun, but it's heavy and large and the Glock just fits so nicely inside the waistband in my spiffy SME holster. I carried a Beretta in Ecuador and a Glock 19 for a day, the Glock was much much nicer to carry, although I had no real issues with the Elite II. I've run both guns on various shooting courses, and any time I had to use the gun as an impact tool I always felt bad for the CZ, plus I broke a couple sights doing it. With the Glock, not only did I not care if it got beat up, it took the beating in those situations much better. If I could only carry the CZ, I would, but having a choice it would still be the G19. Probably lose my CZ sponsorship now...lol

Clobbersaurus
06-30-2014, 07:07 AM
Maybe you should get them to send you a P07, just for a side to side eval VS your G19. ;)

I'd be interested to read a review you did about that actually, especially given your experience with both platforms.

STS
06-30-2014, 10:39 AM
Why not just get a Shadow with the decocker instead of the safety? What is the negative of the decocker? Worse trigger pull?

tremiles
06-30-2014, 12:15 PM
Why not just get a Shadow with the decocker instead of the safety? What is the negative of the decocker? Worse trigger pull?

I don't believe a factory decocker without a firing pin block exists. I'd guess that a non FPB equipped decocker would be a ND risk if the hammer fell past the half cock notch. I've only owned/handled examined FPB model CZ's so it's purely speculation on my part.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Wendell
06-30-2014, 01:52 PM
I'm sitting at somewhere around 700,000 downrange with my Shadows and Tanfoglio, but yeah I'd still carry a G19 if we were allowed to carry. It's smaller and it shoots just fine at the distances I'd expect it would be needed at, yes I know about making expectations on gun fights. The Shadow is an awesome competition gun, but it's heavy and large and the Glock just fits so nicely inside the waistband in my spiffy SME holster. I carried a Beretta in Ecuador and a Glock 19 for a day, the Glock was much much nicer to carry, although I had no real issues with the Elite II. I've run both guns on various shooting courses, and any time I had to use the gun as an impact tool I always felt bad for the CZ, plus I broke a couple sights doing it. With the Glock, not only did I not care if it got beat up, it took the beating in those situations much better. If I could only carry the CZ, I would, but having a choice it would still be the G19. Probably lose my CZ sponsorship now...lol

If so, maybe you'll replace that with a position on Glock's shooting team. http://pistol-forum.com/images/smilies/cool.png

Slavex
06-30-2014, 02:36 PM
Nah, I like my CZ waaaay too much for IPSC.
The factory decocker models can be made to have almost as good triggers, but they are much more difficult to get to that. As well, I don't like the decocker and how it digs into my hand.

2nice4me
06-30-2014, 06:03 PM
I'm sitting at somewhere around 700,000 downrange with my Shadows and Tanfoglio

I went ahead and bought the used CE, just curious, have you had to replace any parts due and what were those arts? just trying to get an idea when to expect some kind of maintenance (aside from cleaning)

Slavex
06-30-2014, 10:03 PM
I swap out my recoil spring when the gun seems sluggish, but using a Shockbuffs means I don't have to worry about frame or slide damage. I used to replace recoil springs at 5000 rounds. Slide stops the same, I keep track of them and use the swapped slide stops in my backup guns.

2nice4me
06-30-2014, 11:02 PM
I downloaded the schematics and don't see the shock buffer, do the CE's already have this shock buffer or is that an additional upgrade? Just wondering why CZ doesn't just install this as a standard item (considering the low cost).

if I look at it properly, I would slide the buffer on the recoil guide and then the recoil spring? Does that make the spring wear out sooner because of the added thickness of the buffer?

Slavex
07-01-2014, 01:28 AM
The schematic doesn't show the buffers, and Canadian Editions should have them included in the gun, or at least in the box, you should get 3 or 4 of them, possibly two different thicknesses too. As far as I can tell it doesn't affect the spring life. Which brings up an interesting argument I had with a friend. He says according to the guy who makes springs for their machines, that properly made springs in a pistol should easily outlast a pistol. They have springs of similar size in some of their machines apparently (not sure where on CNC lathes, mills, grinders etc) that take hundreds of thousands of similar repetitions, or more, with little to no deterioration. So, I bought a spring tester and pulled out some old 11lb recoil springs for my Shadows (cuz I never throw anything out). They were all noticeably shorter than a new one, but not much shorter than one that has been in the gun for only a 1000 rounds, maybe half a cm shorter. However when tested on the scale and compressed to the same length as they would be in the spring box of the CZ, they all weighed within half an once of each other, pretty much bang on 11lbs. Hmmmm there goes my "replace when the gun feels sluggish" theory. Maybe someone who knows more about this stuff can explain it.

2nice4me
09-01-2014, 06:02 PM
Hi Rob, on several occasions when I pull the trigger slowly the pistol doesn't fire. Basically I can pull it all the way where you expect it to fire but it doesn't. Once I release the trigger, the trigger return to half cocked and I can pull the trigger again and it fires.

Any idea what may cause that?

Slavex
09-03-2014, 09:57 AM
Over travel screw in the trigger would be the first place I would look. Also the disconnector might need the corners dressed a tad, there is an excellent thread, I think on Enos, about that, but I'm not sure that's where it is.