PDA

View Full Version : Bolke/Haggard/Burch Fighting in an NPE October 1-3, 2021 Wisconsin

Cecil Burch
04-13-2021, 05:14 PM
This is the inaugural offering of a class that myself, Darryl Bolke and Chuck Haggard have been working on for a while. We know that people can't always carry full size guns, and rarely do the standard shooting class offerings allow you to truly work the small gun in the context that you would be needing to use it the most, so we have built a class for the real world and under those considerations.

It is 3 hours on a Friday night, and all day Saturday and Sunday with a mix of live-fire, hands on, lecture, and scenario work. Total cost will be $500 and to sign up, you can contact Robin at

robin@resiliencedev.com

There are two kind of handguns that we can use for self-defense – Going to Trouble guns, and Getting Out of Trouble guns. While we would all prefer to carry full size duty guns with multiple spare magazines (Going to Trouble guns) as our EDC set up, the fact is that most of us cannot 100% of the time. Because of various restrictions – whether legal, social, or environmental, we often have to defend ourselves with gear that may not be the best when we are shooting fancy drills on the square range (i.e. Getting Out of Trouble guns). Instead of bemoaning that truth, we need to spend the time working on being able to run our actual carry to the best of our ability. That is what this course is all about.

In this class, we will look at how to effectively shoot and manage the smaller handguns that are typical of a non-permissive environment – i.e. snub revolvers and small autos like the G43 or LCP. We will learn to maximize our performance in shooting as well as accessing and drawing these guns. We will also integrate the shooting with understanding how to recognize and deal with impending violent criminal assault, and how to use OC spray and physical responses alongside our firearms. Most importantly, we will put these practices into actual use the exact same way we will have to use them in the real world; NOT the artificial constraints of a flat range.

Students should be ready to work hard, but everyone can go at the most appropriate pace they need. This is not a class for “operators”. This is a course for everyday folks who want to defend themselves and their loved ones from realistic threats, and your physical condition or experience level does not matter.
Students will need their carry gun, as many spare ammo carrier/loader set ups as they can manage, a quality holster (no SERPAs or FOBUS rigs allowed), 300 rounds of ammo, one blue gun and holster for the blue gun, notebook and pen, and an open mind. Also, this will be an opportunity to try different carry positions such as pocket or ankle. There will also be time and opportunity to try out other small guns that the student may not have the chance to run before.

Friday – Intro to pre-assault cues, pre-fight threat containment and MUC, OC use, and live fire safety briefing

Sat – 1st block: live fire, familiarity with drawstroke from various carry positions, tricks with small guns
2nd block: MUC and reactive or proactive physical response
3rd block: OC usage drilling and integration with verbals and movement, congruency with physical responses
4th block: live fire

Sunday – 1st block: live fire
2nd block: defending against the entanglement
3rd block: moving in crowds with a gun in hand (blue gun)
4th block: final drill/test

ST911
04-13-2021, 05:17 PM
Where in Wisconsin?

Bratch
04-13-2021, 05:33 PM
This looks awesome. Hopefully you guys offer it in OK/DFW in the future.

Cecil Burch
04-13-2021, 05:39 PM
Where in Wisconsin?

LaCrosse

Guerrero
04-13-2021, 06:29 PM
I will be lobbying The Boss hard to go to this one, and I've already contacted Robin.

revchuck38
04-13-2021, 07:36 PM

+1! Or farther south and east.

Mark D
04-13-2021, 07:55 PM
This looks terrific.

Totem Polar
04-13-2021, 08:12 PM
This looks terrific.

Yes. Yes it does.

JAD
04-13-2021, 08:29 PM
Massive run on j frame blue guns in 3... 2...

Lex Luthier
04-13-2021, 08:30 PM
Oh, My. LaCrosse is a bit over an hour's drive....

revchuck38
04-13-2021, 08:46 PM
Oh, My. LaCrosse is a bit over an hour's drive....

You could commute! :)

Jared
04-14-2021, 12:43 PM
And I should be in, pending confirmation from Robin. These dudes are all on my training bucket list anyway and I love the posted syllabus. Looking forward to it.

Moylan
04-14-2021, 07:29 PM
I cannot get to Wisconsin for this and will keep my fingers crossed that this show will go on the road. If I had a place to host, I'd be in touch already, but I don't.

Norville
04-14-2021, 07:35 PM
Four spots left as of late this afternoon.

I’m in.

Toonces
04-14-2021, 09:29 PM
I will be lobbying The Boss hard to go to this one, and I've already contacted Robin.

I just cleared it with the Boss, and contacted Robin through the Resilience Development website. If there's an open slot, I'm in.

This is nothing personal, but holy s*!t, there's a ton of training in the southern states, it wouldn't kill the Southern people to have to travel North occasionally... (a joke)

I know money talks, and apparently it talks louder in other parts of the country. Despite the widespread appreciation of firearms in the north, apparently most are too cheap(?) to appreciate professional training. On the rare occurrence two classes are offered in Wisconsin, there's a conflict (Givens Shotgun vs Haggard's Pocket Rockets). There's a conflict on this date as well, but this class trumps an annual professional conference.

Bratch
04-14-2021, 09:53 PM
I just cleared it with the Boss, and contacted Robin through the Resilience Development website. If there's an open slot, I'm in.

This is nothing personal, but holy s*!t, there's a ton of training in the southern states, it wouldn't kill the Southern people to have to travel North occasionally... (a joke)

I know money talks, and apparently it talks louder in other parts of the country. Despite the widespread appreciation of firearms in the north, apparently most are too cheap(?) to appreciate professional training. On the rare occurrence two classes are offered in Wisconsin, there's a conflict (Givens Shotgun vs Haggard's Pocket Rockets). There's a conflict on this date as well, but this class trumps an annual professional conference.

I traveled north for PEPI and PEPII. ;)

I wonder if the abundance of southern training is related to being about to train for almost 12 months a year versus the compacted window of WI training.

Toonces
04-14-2021, 11:25 PM
I just Venmo'd Robin the tuition, so I'm in.

I traveled north for PEPI and PEPII. ;)

I wonder if the abundance of southern training is related to being about to train for almost 12 months a year versus the compacted window of WI training.

While I'm sure that is a major influence regarding where the majority of the trainers make their residence, there's a lot of the year where our weather is no crappier than many other parts of the country, but there's still a lot less classes offered in the state. I'm venturing some combination of being cheap, relatively less suitable venues, and distance from O'Hare/Milwaukee airports. The price to be paid for having a lot less weather, geologic events, and critters that are actively trying to kill you.

Of course, when I see another class in Texas and give a snort, there's a bunch of people living in Texas that are wishing it wasn't five hours away by car...

revchuck38
04-15-2021, 03:58 AM
Of course, when I see another class in Texas and give a snort, there's a bunch of people living in Texas that are wishing it wasn't five hours away by car...

Shoot, I live near the TX/LA border and have ended up doing all my training in Texas, and it's still a 5-7 hour drive.

Guerrero
04-15-2021, 08:33 AM

Unfortunately, I'm not going to be able to make it work.

I expect pictures and course reviews from all of you.

SeriousStudent
04-15-2021, 04:44 PM
I am very deep in complex negotiations at work, so I may take off and attend.

I've already offered BBQ gift cards and a case of Buffalo Trace. I need to bribe two more people, and I'll be able to attend. :cool:

Jared
04-15-2021, 07:32 PM
I just Venmo'd Robin the tuition, so I'm in.

While I'm sure that is a major influence regarding where the majority of the trainers make their residence, there's a lot of the year where our weather is no crappier than many other parts of the country, but there's still a lot less classes offered in the state. I'm venturing some combination of being cheap, relatively less suitable venues, and distance from O'Hare/Milwaukee airports. The price to be paid for having a lot less weather, geologic events, and critters that are actively trying to kill you.

I for one would much rather train up north in the summer than down south. I don’t live too far from St. Louis, and that’s all the heat and humidity I need in August. A dude at work who was from Mississippi told me, “dude, don’t ever go to Mississippi” when I was bitching about our a August weather. I really think I should live in North Dakota.

Norville
04-15-2021, 09:20 PM
I am very deep in complex negotiations at work, so I may take off and attend.

I've already offered BBQ gift cards and a case of Buffalo Trace. I need to bribe two more people, and I'll be able to attend. :cool:

C’mon up to the North! Late September is lovely, although it could snow.

David S.
04-16-2021, 06:43 AM

Respectfully, you ain't looking hard enough.

WI, Chicagoland, IN, MI and OH are very active. (https://www.firearmstraininghub.com/area5/) I'll agree that southern IL and the upper midwest -west of the MS river is pretty slow tho. (https://www.firearmstraininghub.com/area3) That's just the stuff I list.

Toonces
04-17-2021, 06:46 PM

WI, Chicagoland, IN, MI and OH are very active. (https://www.firearmstraininghub.com/area5/) I'll agree that southern IL and the upper midwest -west of the MS river is pretty slow tho. (https://www.firearmstraininghub.com/area3) That's just the stuff I list.

Dang, that's a nice website, and you are absolutely correct. Thank you for posting that. I had never visited that website before. Now my only complaint is how many classes I wouldn't mind taking that have schedule conflicts or missing prereqs.

Previously I had always relied on the PF forum, figuring that there were not going to be any questionable listings on PF. But most everything on the Hub seems to be trainers that would be considered well vetted by PF or M4Carbine standards. I don't have enough time, money, or credit with my wife to be able to take all the classes I'd like that are shown.

David S.
04-17-2021, 08:03 PM
Glad you like it.

We’re trying to make it a thing.

Moylan
04-19-2021, 08:23 AM
Glad you like it.

We’re trying to make it a thing.

I think it's already a thing. I check it regularly. Great resource. Thanks!

Totem Polar
04-19-2021, 08:54 AM

Quick Q: it used to be possible to search by region. I am not seeing a way to do that currently. I hasten to add that it might be my browser and ipad. The display seems to be a bit typically-ipad hinky.

David S.
04-19-2021, 09:49 AM
Quick Q: it used to be possible to search by region. I am not seeing a way to do that currently. I hasten to add that it might be my browser and ipad. The display seems to be a bit typically-ipad hinky.

You can. Sort of.

You can see the events in your USPSA area by adding "/areaX" to the URL, where X is your USPSA area number.

For instance, if you're in Area 1, go to FirearmsTrainingHub.com/Area1/ (http://www.FirearmsTrainingHub.com/Area1/). For Area 5, type FirearmsTrainingHub.com/Area5/ (https://www.firearmstraininghub.com/area5/). My intention is that users would bookmark your local area(s).

Once I figure out how to make the site financially sustainable, we'll continue to develop the site further, including adding an interactive map that makes this more intuitive.

David S.
04-19-2021, 10:04 AM
I think it's already a thing. I check it regularly. Great resource. Thanks!

I'm glad you're using it and liking it.

I had between 2 and 6 daily website visits last week, so it's not a thing yet, which is certainly due to my lack of advertising. As I alluded above, once I identify a way to monetize the site, I'll invest more effort into marketing.

Totem Polar
04-19-2021, 10:43 AM
You can. Sort of.

You can see the events in your USPSA area by adding "/areaX" to the URL, where X is your USPSA area number.

For instance, if you're in Area 1, go to FirearmsTrainingHub.com/Area1/ (http://www.FirearmsTrainingHub.com/Area1/). For Area 5, type FirearmsTrainingHub.com/Area5/ (https://www.firearmstraininghub.com/area5/). My intention is that users would bookmark your local area(s).

Once I figure out how to make the site financially sustainable, we'll continue to develop the site further, including adding an interactive map that makes this more intuitive.

Thanks a ton!

Got it; bookmarked.
:cool:

MeadHallRange
04-19-2021, 03:38 PM

I hear there might be at least a possibility of it coming to some little place in OK at some point. :)

Cecil Burch
04-19-2021, 04:52 PM
I hear there might be at least a possibility of it coming to some little place in OK at some point. :)

And as soon as a certain two instructors (not naming names) get back to me with dates, we may just be able to announce something like that.......

Cecil Burch
10-08-2021, 01:19 PM
We just ran the inaugural class and it went even better than the three of us could have hoped. Lots of learning, and lots of skill improvement, along with much eye opening ideas, and an excellent class make up of some experienced folks alongside fairly new beginners.

We will be doing it again next year in the same place and roughly the same time (we will announce actual dates soon) and the next iteration will be in OKC at the epic Meadhall Range. I guarantee you the course will just keep getting better.

Guerrero
10-08-2021, 01:22 PM
We just ran the inaugural class and it went even better than the three of us could have hoped. Lots of learning, and lots of skill improvement, along with much eye opening ideas, and an excellent class make up of some experienced folks alongside fairly new beginners.

We will be doing it again next year in the same place and roughly the same time (we will announce actual dates soon) and the next iteration will be in OKC at the epic Meadhall Range. I guarantee you the course will just keep getting better.

If anyone here attended, please, please write a review.

Guerrero
11-03-2021, 08:07 AM
If anyone here attended, please, please write a review.

Anyone? [crickets?]

FrankinCA
11-06-2021, 01:05 AM
Damn...wish it was in AZ