PDA

View Full Version : Mounts and dots for fixed handle AR?

David Armstrong
07-14-2012, 04:57 PM
After many years avoiding them, my eyes are getting bad enough that I'm seriously considering a red-dot for my AR-15. So I call on the accumulated wisdom of the forum for suggestions on selection and mounting. I've got a fixed carry handle and would like to get something that I could mount forward of the handle and co-witness with the fixed sights. Are any of the handle-mounted "L"-shaped rails worth while, or would I have to replace the original handguards with some that have the rails built in? Would I need to use a riser?

Dave J
07-14-2012, 06:57 PM
After many years avoiding them, my eyes are getting bad enough that I'm seriously considering a red-dot for my AR-15. So I call on the accumulated wisdom of the forum for suggestions on selection and mounting. I've got a fixed carry handle and would like to get something that I could mount forward of the handle and co-witness with the fixed sights. Are any of the handle-mounted "L"-shaped rails worth while, or would I have to replace the original handguards with some that have the rails built in? Would I need to use a riser?

When we first fielded the Aimpoint M68's in the mid-late 90's, they came with the L-shaped bracket as part of the kit. The brackets seemed to work well enough for the few guys I knew who still had A2 uppers. No riser was necessary. I've no experience with the L-brackets other that the one Aimpoint supplied.

Having said that, a flat top upper can be had for about $90, and can be swapped on easily in about 15-20 minutes if you've got vise blocks and a barrel wrench, and what you end up with is a lot lighter and less clunky, so I'd recommend that route. Going to a railed handguard that's solid enough to hold a zero is going to cost a lot more than that.

Also FWIW, I prefer LaRue's Aimpoint mounts, but the "short" Aimpoint twist knob (as found on the PRO and M4) are at least somewhat tolerable. The old "long" twist knob on the original M2 mount drove me absolutely nuts, as it was always getting caught on stuff.

Hope this helps.

Dave

pdb
07-14-2012, 09:07 PM
I've looked into this and swapping out the upper is the right answer, unless you're prevented from modifying the rifle because of nostalgia or policy.

If you absolutely have to keep the upper, I'd look into a Trijicon Reflex on an RX10 mount, or a low magnification Trijicon ACOG like a TA44R-4.

Surf
07-15-2012, 12:10 PM
I also suggest swapping the upper to a flat top. I do this quite often for people and it is the best solution. Not a fan of the goosenecks or a forend mount as they have always been more problematic with holding zero.

Dagga Boy
07-15-2012, 12:45 PM
Working as a Pro Staffer for Law Enforcement with Aimpoint, I run into this fairly often. The obvious option is to swap uppers. This is not an option for many due to numerous issues.

"L" Brackets. Aimpoint makes a pretty good one that has been modified from older ones with an extra stabilizing bracket in the front. Generally, they have done okay for many military rifle upgrades which use A2 uppers. Others are less than optimal.

By far the best solution I have found is to use a Centurion Arms rail system. The Centurion rail has a unique way of bolting on the upper that gives almost monolithic rail rigidity and clamps around the factory barrel extension. You can get it on without removing the front sight and you simply dremal off all the old delta ring parts. Its easy enough that I can do it, and I am a retard with tools. At this point you simply mount the Aimpoint of choice as far back as possible on the top of the rail, and you also get the benefit of easier mounting of lights and slings, as well as a VFG. The best results I have seen are with the Aimpoint Micro in a LaRue tall mount, or if on a budget, the Aimpoint PRO right out of the box with the QRP2 mount.

The use of the Centurion based system is FAR better than any "L" bracket or top mount.

fuse
07-15-2012, 02:03 PM
Can't go wrong with larue or ADM or Bobro, for a flat top.

David Armstrong
07-15-2012, 03:27 PM
Working as a Pro Staffer for Law Enforcement with Aimpoint, I run into this fairly often. The obvious option is to swap uppers. This is not an option for many due to numerous issues.
I should have mentioned that is my position, swapping an upper is not an option for me. I'm using a rifle from the mid-80s that still has the A1 sights.

"L" Brackets. Aimpoint makes a pretty good one that has been modified from older ones with an extra stabilizing bracket in the front. Generally, they have done okay for many military rifle upgrades which use A2 uppers.
that sounds like what i may need, but i couldn't find anything on the Aimpoint website. Got a name/number or some such?

Thank to all.